[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I don't know the date of your birthday but hope you enjoyed it.

My Music of Philly blog on some of my favorite Philly-related recordings from 1968-70 is now online. It features songs by Archie Bell & the Drells, the Intrigues, Dusty Springfield, the Festivals and Odds & Ends. I hope you will check it out. What are some of your favorite Philly tracks from that time period?

On my blog, I had left off at the Ebony's in 1971 and then back-tracked to look at 26 of my favorites prior to that time period [[1957-1970). My next blog will be on the O'Jays' Back Stabbers album from 1972.

Be well. Stay safe. Jim

https://jimbagleyphillymusic.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by JimBagley; 04-26-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Glad to see you back at it. Good work as usual.

It's good to see your Music of Philly Blog again Jim. Looking forward to your next one.

Thank goodness, Jim! Love your blog... Stay safe as well...

Yes, please keep it going. I just went through it again and couldn't stop till I got to the bottom. I was wondering if you did a blog covering the Ojays first album on Neptune, "In Philadelphia."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Yes, please keep it going. I just went through it again and couldn't stop till I got to the bottom. I was wondering if you did a blog covering the Ojays first album on Neptune, "In Philadelphia."
    Hi Mr. June.
    I did not touch on the O'Jays in Philadelphia yet because I knew I would be discussing the O'Jays in depth after I finished the five Philly Roots entries which took me a lot longer to get through than I had originally planned [[life happened).

Be well.

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Hi Mr. June.
    I did not touch on the O'Jays in Philadelphia yet because I knew I would be discussing the O'Jays in depth after I finished the five Philly Roots entries which took me a lot longer to get through than I had originally planned [[life happened).

Be well.

Jim.
    Ok and thanks Jim. I look forward to reading that blog. You and yours be safe also.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    My Music of Philly blog on some of my favorite Philly-related recordings from 1968-70 is now online. It features songs by Archie Bell & the Drells, the Intrigues, Dusty Springfield, the Festivals and Odds & Ends. I hope you will check it out. What are some of your favorite Philly tracks from that time period?

On my blog, I had left off at the Ebony's in 1971 and then back-tracked to look at 26 of my favorites prior to that time period [[1957-1970). My next blog will be on the O'Jays' Back Stabbers album from 1972.

Be well. Stay safe. Jim

https://jimbagleyphillymusic.wordpress.com/
    One of my favorites from that period was "One Night Affair" by the O'Jays. Loved that record.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    One of my favorites from that period was "One Night Affair" by the O'Jays. Loved that record.
    As I work on the O'Jays' blog, I have been playing the In Philadelphia album that contains "One Night Affair" A LOT.

Be well.

Jim.

That album is sometimes left out of the picture when discussing the group. They skip by it and go to the Back Stabbers album. I like all of the songs on the album with the exception of Something and Little Green Apples. They are not bad but seem out of place on this album.

The Showstoppers live on UK TV [[back in 71) ...

A UK group who did minor gigs in their own right BUT who also backed up visiting US soul acts on their late 1960's UK tours. ... here they do a gig in their own right at a top UK soul club back in summer 68. As the ad says; they had just been contracted to be the backing band on the Showstoppers [[then) upcoming UK tour ...
    for some reason [[were they in the studio in Philly or doing US promo gigs) the tour slipped back from having a mid October start date to an early November start date ... they stayed in the UK for around a month ..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHv8wPwt93o
    Last edited by jsmith; 05-09-2020 at 06:02 AM.

More Showstoppers footage ...

Showstoppers montage ... includes ad for UK gig in mid May 1970 ... still touring here on the strength of "Houseparty" ...
    Attachment 17379

Two gigs on the Showstoppers Nov / Dec 68 UK tour ... the Twisted Wheel in Manchester [[the most iconic UK soul club) & the Palais De Dance, Mansfield + 2 of the group's later 45 releases ...
    Attachment 17380