Name:  ShowstoppersShMusicMont.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  112.4 KB
    Name:  ShowstoppersLiveMont.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  109.0 KB

Jsmith.....Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    I hope you will check out my latest blog entry on The Stylistics' "You're A Big Girl Now". I was blessed to talk to Russell Thompkins, Jr. and clear up some contradicting information that exists about the group's early years and their first hit.

https://jimbagleyphillymusic.wordpress.com/
    Hi Jim. Just read your informative piece on The Stylistics' first hit, "You're A Big Girl Now". Even though I feel that the group's best work was done with producer Thom Bell from 1971 thru 1974, I've always liked "You're A Big Girl Now" (the song always reminds me of '50s 'doo-wop' groups). Keep up the fine work.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Hi Jim. Just read your informative piece on The Stylistics' first hit, "You're A Big Girl Now". Even though I feel that the group's best work was done with producer Thom Bell from 1971 thru 1974, I've always liked "You're A Big Girl Now" (the song always reminds me of '50s 'doo-wop' groups). Keep up the fine work.
    Hi Eddie,

I strongly agree with you. The Thom Bell collaborations were the best (I love the Hurry Up This Way Again production quite a lot too). You’re A Big Girl Now got them established and led them to Thom Bell, which is why I featured it.

We’re about to move into Philadelphia International with The Ebonys. JSmith, I was planning to eventually include The Showstoppers in a separate Philly Roots sub-blog. If I can work them in sooner, I will. Please message me.

Thanks,

Jim.

Jim, messaged you.
    Name:  ShowstppersUKtourMont.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  74.3 KB
    Last edited by jsmith; 06-06-2018 at 06:42 AM.

My latest blog on the Ebonys' "You're The Reason Why" - the only hit on Philadelphia International during its first year in business - is now online. Feedback is welcome.

https://wordpress.com/stats/day/jimb....wordpress.com

Thanks,

Jim.

Thanks for the blog, Jim.
    Earlier I also talked with David Beasley about those early days, among others.

http://www.soulexpress.net/ebonys_interview.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Thanks for sharing this, Heikki. The Ebonys were all talented singers and had a unique sound. I wish one member’s personal issues hadn’t derailed the group.

Very cool, Jim! You certainly caught my attention with the mention of "The Horse", one of my first exposures to The Sound Of Philadelphia! Man, I loved that record as a kid. I had my mom play it on repeat on the record player. Not that I think of it, that drummer sounds like Earl Young.

Hi Soulster. The Horse was a huge part of my youth too.

My latest blog on the Ebonys' "You're The Reason Why" - the only hit on Philadelphia International during its first year in business - is now online. Feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Jim.
    Good reading about the Ebonys!
    Just so you know, this link didn't work for me, Jim. ?

13. Thanks for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Good reading about the Ebonys!
    Just so you know, this link didn't work for me, Jim. ?

Reposting the link. Hope this one works.

https://jimbagleyphillymusic.wordpress.com/

Thanks,

Jim.
    Just read your article about The Ebonys. Very detailed account of the group (I had no idea what happened to them after "It's Forever" 'til reading this). I first heard of the group when they were featured on the PBS series Soul performing "You're The Reason Why".

SEXY WAYS

And the b-side sounds pretty good too, especially the orchestration.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-16-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Is anyone else looking forward to the new Jean Carne two CD set Don't Let It Go To Your Head: The Anthology which is being released on Friday. Several of the 32 tracks on this SoulMusic Records release haven't been available on CD in years. It also makes a nice supplement to the single CD Closer Than Close: Best Of which covers highlights of her solo career across several labels. About half of Don't Let It Go To Your Head focuses on Jean's Philadelphia International albums and the other half highlights her guest appearance duets over the years. Most of the tracks on the out of print Collaborations CD are included on the Don't Let It Go To Your Head Anthology. One notable omission is Jean's wonderful duet with Billy Paul on "Good Thing Going On".
    Are you planning to get this new Jean Carne double disc set, and why or why not? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Jim.
    Last edited by JimBagley; Today at 01:42 AM.

I remember the Ebonys from "It's Forever". Weren't they from Camden?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember the Ebonys from "It's Forever". Weren't they from Camden?
    Yes. And the three surviving Ebonys still live in south Jersey.

Yes. And the three surviving Ebonys still live in south Jersey.
    Thank you Jim. They made their mark however brief. So much talent.