[REMOVE ADS]

The full-length version of "war" by edwin starr finally out on cd.

So… back in late May we went for a long weekend break and during that break I went to a local Tesco superstore for some wine and also came back with a couple of 70s CD compilations to brighten up the journey home.

One of these compilations was “Top Of The Pops 1970-1974”.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Pops-19...pops+1970-1974

And it was just another compilation until “War” by Edwin Starr didn’t finish with everyone marching to war chanting “War. What is it good for?”

Instead, Edwin shouted “Friend only to the undertaker” and then The Funk Brothers came right back in and played to the fade, with Dennis Coffey playing a fabulous solo over the top of the rhythm.

To my knowledge the last time that this version saw release was on the original UK single release in 1970 [[TMG 754). At that time it was folded to mono, but on this new CD it’s in glorious stereo. It’s actually the standard stereo mix but faded much later.

Having analysed this nearly half a century later [[as one does), it’s my guess that this longer track is what was originally planned for release. All of the vocals and the foot stomping etc. would have been recorded after the basic rhythm tracks and my guess is that the final “War. Huh! Yeah! What is it good for?” didn’t start out with foot stomps. Perhaps there were further vocals envisaged for the originally planned fade.

Guessing further, the foot stomps got added and Norman Whitfield found when mixing the track for single release that having everyone marching off to war was a more effective fade. This gave us the fade that everyone apart from the UK market got on single release, and consequently the stereo mix got the same fade when released on the “War And Peace” album.

Does this sound feasible?

Anyway, for the curious, here are some other items of interest on this triple CD.

US mono single mix of “Tears Of A Clown”. Odd for a UK release.

Mono single mix of “Stoned Love” by The Supremes.

Full-length version of “You’re The First, The Last, My Everything.” by Barry White. Not very common on CD compilations and a very worthwhile inclusion.

Single mix of “Let’s Work Together” by Canned Heat.

Horrible butchered edit of “Maggie May” by Rod Stewart.

Single mix of “Question” by The Moody Blues.

Full-length version of “Down Down” by Status Quo. Never heard this until now.

Full-length version of “Whisky In The Jar” by Thin Lizzy. Nice to hear.

Horrible attempt to create a “single edit” from the full-length version of “Alright Now” by Free. Weird one this, and it also turned up on another compilation bought around the same time.

Stereo mix of “Neanderthal Man” by Hotlegs [[the precursor to 10CC). Not as good as the mono single mix.

The single mix of ”School’s Out” by Alice Cooper. The album mix is what normally surfaces these days.

The single mix of “Seasons In The Sun” by Terry Jacks.

The horrible 1980s or 1990s remix of “I Can See Clearly Now” by Johnny Nash. Yuk!

Several of the above suggest that whoever compiled this wasn't around in the 1970s and therefore simply worked from paper and didn't know what they were listening to.

I've come across a lot of this lately and it's nice to occassionally hear a proper compilation which, like a recent 60s compilation for instance, follows "Aquarius / Let The Sun Shine In" by Fifth Dimension with "Ain't Got No, I Got Life" by Nina Simone. That compiler really knew their stuff!

I know it is always a nice surprise to come across different mixes for songs you've loved for years. Recently, radio station CKWW played at version of "Floy Joy" that I had not heard since perhaps the seventies.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I know it is always a nice surprise to come across different mixes for songs you've loved for years. Recently, radio station CKWW played at version of "Floy Joy" that I had not heard since perhaps the seventies.
    What version was that? The original single mix and edit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    What version was that? The original single mix and edit?
    It was most likely the single mix issued as a promo copy to radio stations. CKWW is a Canadian radio station. They have access to the old CKLW [[the Big 8) record library from back in the day, so I am guessing they are playing oldies from that massive collection.

An extended version of Edwin's "War"...?! Oh, nice! Thanks for this thread Sotosound!!!

I just checked the Amazon page for the release and the version of "War" on it clocks in at 3:48, whereas the version I have is a measly 3:21!!!

It looks like you can buy and download individual tracks which I might do 'cause I'm not sure if I want to buy the entire collection... I mean, who on earth is Mott The Hoople!? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    ... who on earth is Mott The Hoople!? Lol
    LOL. They were a 70s rock outfit who had a hit with David Bowie's "All the Young Dudes." Way to make me feel old yet again, Tom! 😁

The extended version of "War" also appears on Edwin's 20th Century Masters CD.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was most likely the single mix issued as a promo copy to radio stations. CKWW is a Canadian radio station. They have access to the old CKLW [[the Big 8) record library from back in the day, so I am guessing they are playing oldies from that massive collection.
    How interesting! Growing up in Detroit, CKLW [[being right across the Detroit River in Windsow) and WKNR were the two biggest stations. I think CKLW had a huge band width [[I can't think of the right word...broadcast area?) at the time.

Marv, were they part of the local Detroit area Channel 9, which of course broadcast Robin Seymour's "Swingin' Time" and lots of other local shows?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    LOL. They were a 70s rock outfit who had a hit with David Bowie's "All the Young Dudes." Way to make me feel old yet again, Tom! 😁
    Lol, oops, sorry sans.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Now, I didn't know that!

UK Amazon doesn't show the track list.

Having now checked the US Amazon website, however, I can see what you mean. Not everything on that list tallies up with the samples if you go by mix, stereo versus mono etc., but the track times seem to tell the story.

Kind of b*ggers the thread title, however!

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    Now, I didn't know that!

UK Amazon doesn't show the track list.

Having now checked the US Amazon website, however, I can see what you mean. Not everything on that list tallies up with the samples if you go by mix, stereo versus mono etc., but the track times seem to tell the story.

Kind of b*ggers the thread title, however!
    No worries. If you hadn't b*ggered the thread , I wouldn't have checked to see if I already had that version in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post

Thanks a lot for the info Johnny. I just picked up the extended version of Edwin Starr's "War" on his 20th Century Masters collection and I think it's great! Thanks also to Sotosound for putting out the info about the 3:50 version of this classic track.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 08-28-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Just found out some interesting info about Edwin Starr's "War"; according to Wikipedia, the background vocals on the song are done by The Originals & The Undisputed Truth [[not sure if this has put on this site before).

It's all good info - thanks for the thread Soto.

You're most welcome.

Just hope that I don't get arrested for b*ggering a thread.

I also think that it's interesting that both the US single mix and this longer version of the stereo mix in folded-to-mono format were both seen by the record-buying public as viable when first released.

This is an example where the performance was more important than the final mix.

I'm not sure the general record buying public cares that much about the mix - if they liked the music, they bought the record.

Such a shame that Edwin Starr has not been given the 2 CD "Motown Anthology/Ultimate Motown Collecetion" treatment where this mix of the song could be included. I'm not sure about other countries but he was a well liked artist in the UK so I would expect some decent sales.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Such a shame that Edwin Starr has not been given the 2 CD "Motown Anthology/Ultimate Motown Collecetion" treatment where this mix of the song could be included. I'm not sure about other countries but he was a well liked artist in the UK so I would expect some decent sales.
    Agreed! I also wonder why Edwin Starr never received a 2CD Motown Anthology compilation. And it's still a possibility that he may get one someday [[especially since Ace and other labels are doing collections from the Motown catalog).

Ooh, yes please, an Edwin Starr anthology! Love Edwin!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Agreed! I also wonder why Edwin Starr never received a 2CD Motown Anthology compilation. And it's still a possibility that he may get one someday [[especially since Ace and other labels are doing collections from the Motown catalog).
    He is certainly long overdue for that kind of a retrospective, but if you haven't bought the expanded editions of "Involved" and "Soul Master," they are a must have. Great pieces, beautifully remastered with lots of bonus tracks on each one. BBR has done a great job on these.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    He is certainly long overdue for that kind of a retrospective, but if you haven't bought the expanded editions of "Involved" and "Soul Master," they are a must have. Great pieces, beautifully remastered with lots of bonus tracks on each one. BBR has done a great job on these.
    Kenneth have these CDS JUST WETS THE APPETITE FOR ME wOULD LOVE an E dwin Lost and Found set.pray this will be next from Ace etc.cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Kenneth have these CDS JUST WETS THE APPETITE FOR ME wOULD LOVE an E dwin Lost and Found set.pray this will be next from Ace etc.cheers.
    They really are great, aren't they? I love Starr's version of "My Sweet Lord" especially. Man, that guy could sing! He always reminded me some of Dennis Edwards, in tone and style. I think both of them could do ballads as well as strong driving numbers with equal ease, though neither got to do the ballads as often as I would have liked!