[REMOVE ADS]

Current price of the old Anthogies

Something prompted me today to look see how much some of the Anthologies were fetching on the resale market and was shocked with what I found.

The Barbara McNair 2 CD set is currently not even showing on E bay [[nobody obviously wants to sell their copy obviously) while over on Amazon the cheapest you will find it is £150 at current exchange rates that's almost $200 if I'm doing my sums right.
    The Brenda set likewise is a no show on Ebay and I can see one used copy of Amazon in Japan for around £60 which is really quite cheap as it too used to fetch similar figures to the McNair set.
    Likewise Billy Eckstine is a no show on Ebay but you can get for £20 on Amazon.
    Jimmy Ruffin, The Isley Bros and The Velvelettes can be picked up for a fiver, Bobby Taylor fetches £12.
    Chris Clark meanwhile is fetching over £40 and there are only 2 copies of that on Ebay so my guess is that figure will rise.
    So how does this happen, how does Brenda Holloway, Chris Clark and Barbara McNair command such high figures - all I can say is I wish I'd have bought more copies.

I suspect the more obscure artists were given a limited release and sold out more quickly. I found this when trying to bus the Shorty Long Essential Collection some years ago although the price has fallen since the release of the Complete Masters set. It's all a matter of supply and demand.
    Still hoping for a cheaper version of 'This Is The Story' by the Supremes which I didn't bother with at the time when on offer at around £15 but it now goes for over £600 which I just couldn't justify buying.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 08-24-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Mis spelling

Let's not forget the legendary Tommy Good. I bought his one and only CD but I can't determine how much I paid for it. None are currently for sale on eBay.

Mmm, this is quite crazy! I don't really get why The Velvelettes' anthology and Brenda's anthology have ended up so different in price though, when they are artists of relatively the same success/popularity. Would many more copies of The Velvelettes CD be made compared to Brenda's? I dunno. Anyway, I am just glad these albums are available as digital downloads, otherwise I would never be able to listen to the music!!!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Still hoping for a cheaper version of 'This Is The Story' by the Supremes which I didn't bother with at the time when on offer at around £15 but it now goes for over £600 which I just couldn't justify buying.
    £600!!!??? For a set of CDs!!!?

For that price you should get a free Supreme with it, lol
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-24-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Try looking up the Supremes Right On! cd from 1990. I saw it sell for over $300 a few years ago. Those early 90s Motown cds are outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Try looking up the Supremes Right On! cd from 1990. I saw it sell for over $300 a few years ago. Those early 90s Motown cds are outrageous.
    What would be the point of purchasing this at that price? Has the album not seen a cd release since 1990?

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I have in my collection MOTD-5442, The Supremes, Right On, in near mint condition. If you have any desire to purchase it, I will sell it to you for a mere $100. I must state that it was the one issued in 1970. Contact me via private email if interested. I purchased it when it was out.

I have the Right On cd which I bought when it was issued...in the 80s? Are their different versions?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    What would be the point of purchasing this at that price? Has the album not seen a cd release since 1990?
    No it hasn’t. But I have no idea why someone would pay that much.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I have the Right On cd which I bought when it was issued...in the 80s? Are their different versions?
    not that I am aware of. They were all released late 80s thru early 90s.

Masterblaster:
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1038390?ev=rb
    The Supremes ‎– This Is The Story, The 70's Albums, Vol. 1: 1970-1973 The Jean Terrell Years

In the words of Howard Tate : "Get It While You Can"!

I picked up the "This Is the Story" set about a year ago. I did not spend silly money on it and it's Near Mint.

I picked up a copy of the Chris Clark not that long ago for under 10.

Many of the prices quoted are what sellers are hoping to get. Keep your eyes peeled and bargains are to be had.

The 'advanced search' element of eBay tells you what items have been sold for. The only McNair CD auctioned recently went for £25.