[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    @Gary, Ah Kind Sir, Methinks you are much more gracious of a personage than am I. But of course, I knew that anyway!

And like it or not, the customer service reps are the front line and have to bear the brunt of consumers' complaints. At least, that's the way I look at it!
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-09-2017 at 05:36 PM.

I cancelled my Amazon order and ordered it via amoeba instead it's on its way to me now...
    https://www.amoeba.com/nothing-but-t...lbums/3975557/

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I cancelled my Amazon order and ordered it via amoeba instead it's on its way to me now...
    https://www.amoeba.com/nothing-but-t...lbums/3975557/
    Did you get 15% off? They're having a sale through tomorrow. If you enter SEP15 at checkout, you'll get the 15% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I totally agree TomatoTom, the synth version is the definitive version to me as it was the one I heard in the clubs at the time and the version selected for U.K release as a single.
    Thank you Ozmo for helping to clear up the confusion.
    Yea masterblaster, I like the synth effects... they're a bit weird 'cause I'm not used to hearing them but I like them! Also, they remind me of the sythesisers on The Undisputed Truth's "Higher Than High"...

Amazon still seems to not have this in stock. I ordered it from WowHD [[price about the same, free shipping) on Saturday and got a confirmation that it was shipped the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Amazon still seems to not have this in stock. I ordered it from WowHD [[price about the same, free shipping) on Saturday and got a confirmation that it was shipped the next day.
    Hey Buddy, happy days are here again! I just got an email from Amazon. My copy of "Nothing But The Truth" has shipped -- for real! [[It has left the seller facility and is in transit.) However, despite my Prime Membership benefits, it won 't arrive until Thursday -- most likely because of Hurricane Irma which is coming right at us.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I did the same. Canceled amazon order and ordered from Wowhd for 17.99, no shipping and received it in a week. It was mailed from KY.

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    I did the same. Canceled amazon order and ordered from Wowhd for 17.99, no shipping and received it in a week. It was mailed from KY.
    Caliluv, my copy from Amazon ended up costing only $16.99 plus free shipping. Not bad, and worth the wait.

Amazon finally came through, as I knew they would. And they didn't make me wait until Thursday, either! My copy of "Nothing But The Truth" arrived today [[Tuesday), and what a thrilling set this is! Norman Whitfield's productions on the Undisputed Truth are just as exciting as ever, and the sound quality is top notch, as always. ACE/Kent has blessed us all with another Motown winner! One more blessing of "Cosmic Truth" and "Higher Than High" is all it would take to complete the UT's Motown output.

On the front cover of The Undisputed Truth's "Nothing But The Truth", could someone please identify which of the ladies is Billie Calvin and which is Brenda Evans? After all these years, I have yet to see them identified in any photos. I even had the pleasure of meeting them back in 1971 during my tour of Motown's Donovan Building. They were so gracious and friendly, yet I was too embarrassed to ask them who was who for fear of insulting them. Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    On the front cover of The Undisputed Truth's "Nothing But The Truth", could someone please identify which of the ladies is Billie Calvin and which is Brenda Evans? After all these years, I have yet to see them identified in any photos. I even had the pleasure of meeting them back in 1971 during my tour of Motown's Donovan Building. They were so gracious and friendly, yet I was too embarrassed to ask them who was who for fear of insulting them. Can anyone help?
    Hey Gary, I believe I can help!!!

Name:  IMG_6624.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  51.8 KB

On the cover I believe it is Billie Rae Calvin on the left, and Brenda Joyce Evans on the right. I think I was able to find out from Brenda's Facebook page, which I shall try and locate now!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-13-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Here it is... lovely pictures too... https://m.facebook.com/bj.evansjohnson

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Gary, I believe I can help!!!

Name:  IMG_6624.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  51.8 KB

On the cover I believe it is Billie Rae Calvin on the left, and Brenda Joyce Evans on the right. I think I was able to find out from Brenda's Facebook page, which I shall try and locate now!!
    Tom, thank you so much for solving the mystery! As popular as the Undisputed Truth were at the time, their identities were treated as if they were anonymous studio singers. Maybe it was just a sign of the changing times [[the '70s versus the '60s back when Motown's artists were household names and felt like family members).

Here it is... lovely pictures too... https://m.facebook.com/bj.evansjohnson
    Hey Tom, thanks again! I knew I could count on you! It's good to know that Brenda is still alive and well. [[If I had run into her on the street, however, I'm afraid I would have never recognized her! But, then, she probably wouldn't recognize me, either, as I look totally different now than I did back in 1971 when I met and had photos taken with her, Billie, and Marv Johnson.) When Billie and Brenda's identities were last discussed on the Motown Forum, I was saddened to learn that Billie had passed on, but was glad to hear that she was always such a nice person. Still, however, their faces weren't identified. At last, thanks to you, the mystery is over! [[And, thanks to the new and fantastic "Nothing But The Truth", I had almost forgotten how good those girls sounded together. Their harmonies were fantastic!)

Tom, thank you so much for solving the mystery! As popular as the Undisputed Truth were at the time, their identities were treated as if they were anonymous studio singers. Maybe it was just a sign of the changing times [[the '70s versus the '60s back when Motown's artists were household names and felt like family members).
    Hey, no problem, Gary!

But yea, you're right, their identities were kinda hard to find out... even today... it was only when I found the Facebook page that I knew for sure! But I'm so glad I know now too

Hey Tom, thanks again! I knew I could count on you! It's good to know that Brenda is still alive and well. [[If I had run into her on the street, however, I'm afraid I would have never recognized her! But, then, she probably wouldn't recognize me, either, as I look totally different now than I did back in 1971 when I met and had photos taken with her, Billie, and Marv Johnson.) When Billie and Brenda's identities were last discussed on the Motown Forum, I was saddened to learn that Billie had passed on, but was glad to hear that she was always such a nice person. Still, however, their faces weren't identified. At last, thanks to you, the mystery is over! [[And, thanks to the new and fantastic "Nothing But The Truth", I had almost forgotten how good those girls sounded together. Their harmonies were fantastic!)
    Yes indeed Gary!!! And no worries

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Mine hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully we'll see cosmic truth and higher than high real soon.
    That's the two albums I'd love to see released on Cd, Alex.

The Truths take on Down by the river makes it sound more like a Pink Floyd number rather than a Neil Young song I didn't include Poontang on my list as I have it already on a best of compilation, but yes, fantastic track... how did they get away with that????
    In my opinion, Norman definitely copied the Pink Floyd track Breathe on this one Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    In my opinion, Norman definitely copied the Pink Floyd track Breathe on this one Alex.
    Imma have to check that out... right now!

Here's The Truth's version of "Down By The River"...

OK now this does sound very similar... especially the intro and that organ thing... wow Norman Whitfield was doing some serious experimentation on Cosmic Truth, LOL

OK now this does sound very similar... especially the intro and that organ thing... wow Norman Whitfield was doing some serious experimentation on Cosmic Truth, LOL
    Some might even say Norman was doing some serious plagiarism with that track Tom!

I always thought the problem with Pink Floyd was when they sang. When it was just instrumentation, some of their music was excellent, but when they sang, it ruined it for me.

Though the tunes are pretty much the same, in my opinion, Down By the River is a much better song, because of The Undisputed Truth's singing.

Some might even say Norman was doing some serious plagiarism with that track Tom!

I always thought the problem with Pink Floyd was when they sang. When it was just instrumentation, some of their music was excellent, but when they sang, it ruined it for me.

Though the tunes are pretty much the same, in my opinion, Down By the River is a much better song, because of The Undisputed Truth's singing.
    I guess you could say that Cosmic, heehee

I'm not familiar with Pink Floyd at all but while listening to "Breathe" I was kinda turned off when they started singing...

However, this has got me thinking... if The Truth's version of Neil Young's "Down To The River" actually sounds like Pink Floyd's "Breathe"... what on earth does Neil Young's "Down By The River" sound like??!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-23-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Like this, apparently!

That's actually a very weird song, lol

Yes, most definitely

One thing about the song "Let's Go Back To Day One" :
    I have the Undisputed Truth compilation called "The Collection" and issued in 2002 by Spectrum , this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ESSENTIAL-C...disputed+truth
    This compilation contains a version of the song totally different than the one includes on the "Nothing But The Truth" compilation.Different mix , the trio singing and humming during the intro [[on the recent comp' it's only Joe singing and just one line) , also the song is longer on the 2002 CD = 2'50" [[ 2'35" on the 2017 cd).
    One question: which version is really the one includes on the original UK LP in 1975 ? I'm confused ....

The version on the latest ACE cd is NOT the version on the original Tamla Motown album.

Have to say, I love both versions.

Oh damn, another Undisputed Truth mystery!?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The version on the latest ACE cd is NOT the version on the original Tamla Motown album.

Have to say, I love both versions.
    Thank you for the info.
    And me too , i love both versions !

It looks like Pink Floyd may have copied their song Breath from Buddy Miles version of Down By the River.

It looks like Pink Floyd may have copied their song Breath from Buddy Miles version of Down By the River.

Wow... i always said the truths cover sounded like pink floyds breathe and now its seems exactly what you said. So The Truths cover was based on Buddy Miles' arrangement...

And others have made the breathe down by the river comparison too... quite a few videos on youtube where bands have mashed the two songs together

https://youtu.be/j5k2-Q7LOuc

Wow... i always said the truths cover sounded like pink floyds breathe and now its seems exactly what you said. So The Truths cover was based on Buddy Miles' arrangement...

And others have made the breathe down by the river comparison too... quite a few videos on youtube where bands have mashed the two songs together

https://youtu.be/j5k2-Q7LOuc
    I didn't even know Buddy had covered Down By The River until the other day.

In my opinion, The Undisputed Truth's version is the best version of the song, but both their cover, and the song Breath, seem to have been influenced, to say the least, by Buddy.

I didn't even know Buddy had covered Down By The River until the other day.

In my opinion, The Undisputed Truth's version is the best version of the song, but both their cover, and the song Breath, seem to have been influenced, to say the least, by Buddy.

Also found this in google books search from .Pink Floyd All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track

. Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  90.4 KB

Also found this in google books search from .Pink Floyd All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track

. Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  90.4 KB
    Good find, Alex.

Just came back to this thread as I found out today that the three albums reissued in Nothing But The Truth are also available to download on iTunes! The Undisputed Truth, Law Of The Land and Down To Earth are all digitally remastered, with Law Of The Land even having the bonus track "Gonna Keep Tryin"!

This is great news!!! But does anyone know how they got there? How do albums just become available on iTunes like that? Did Ace have any involvement?

Method To The Madness and Smokin' are also available on iTunes, I noticed that a while back... now we just need Cosmic Truth and Higher Than High...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-05-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Ace do not rights to offer their Motown CDs for download; as far I'm aware [[I may be wrong) only Universal can do that.