[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Building in LA!!

Who owned the building & how many floors did Motown have wthin the building???

Which building are you referring to? Motown's LA offices were in several buildings over the years.

Speaking of buildings, did Motown have their own recording studio in LA [[like Detroit) or did they use other studios?

The Mowest studios were in West Hollywood, I believe on Romaine street just off Santa Monica Blvd. I had been there several times but a recent drive by there makes it difficult to locate the place due to so much new construction in the area [[condo's, apartments, office buildngs, etc). Berry Gordys ex-wife Raynoma ran the studio for some time. A lot of Motown West Coast hits, including the JAckson 5 were recorded there...

It was at 7317 Romaine Street.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Which building are you referring to? Motown's LA offices were in several buildings over the years.
    The one on Sunset!!! I think is the street name!!! It had the Motown emblem on it!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    The one on Sunset!!! I think is the street name!!! It had the Motown emblem on it!!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  21.1 KB
    It was located at Sunset Blvd. & Vine St. Motown had several floors in that highrise. It was stated in some article I read that they actually had an office in that building as early as 1963. That would have been Jobete Music's L.A. office, which was run by Hal Davis. But, I think that office was in another building. Because, I don't believe that that tall office tower highrise building had yet been built by 1963.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-23-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    The address was 6255 Sunset Blvd. That has stayed with me for almost 40 years; I wrote Diana there when I was 9.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I wrote Diana there when I was 9.
    Wow ! Did she reply to you ?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 503
    It was located at Sunset Blvd. & Vine St. Motown had several floors in that highrise. It was stated in some article I read that they actually had an office in that building as early as 1963. That would have been Jobete Music's L.A. office, which was run by Hal Davis. But, I think that office was in another building. Because, I don't believe that that tall office tower highrise building had yet been built by 1963.
    Actually no. The unspoken rule was nothing taller than city hall pre 66. Buildings were not earthquake proof then.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Actually no. The unspoken rule was nothing taller than city hall pre 66. Buildings were not earthquake proof then.
Views: 477
    Which is exactly why I stated that "I don't believe that that tall office tower highrise building had yet been built by 1963."
    Furthermore I would guess that because it was known that building above 10 or 12 stories wasn't safe, they would be staying a lot lower than Los Angeles City Hall. I can't remember any building built after 1940 that was even remotely close in height to the City Hall. I thought it was official in The City Planning Office regulations, that no buildings above X number [[10, 11 or 12?) stories would be allowed to get a construction permit, rather than just an "unspoken or unwritten rule".

I think that that Sunset & Vine Building [[Sunset Tower, between Vine St. and Argyle Ave.) was built near the beginning of the 1970s, if I remember correctly. Jobete Music L.A. must have been in a low rise building somewhere else in Hollywood. I never went to the first one.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-23-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Did MoWest ever have a hit besides Tom clays?

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Wow ! Did she reply to you ?
    Nah. "I'm still waiting..."

Nah. "I'm still waiting..."
    MoWest did in the UK with Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons' "The Night".

Ivor

The address was 6255 Sunset Blvd. That has stayed with me for almost 40 years; I wrote Diana there when I was 9.
    According to 'Motown, The Sound Of Young America' the author states "Motown's new home in Los Angeles glistened on three floors of 6464 Sunset Boulevard, a ten-story tower".

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    According to 'Motown, The Sound Of Young America' the author states "Motown's new home in Los Angeles glistened on three floors of 6464 Sunset Boulevard, a ten-story tower".
    Maybe my memory's faulty. Also maybe why I didn't hear back from her!