[REMOVE ADS]

The Hitsville Platter [[in-house newsletter)

In David Maraniss's book, Once In a Great City, it is noted that The Hitsville Platter, Motown's in-house newsletter [[It's What's In the Grooves That Counts) noted that Martha & the Vandellas "did a wonderful rendition of Come and Get These Memories, which proved to be quite a fast-moving, Number One rated tune."

What does anyone know about this Hitsville Platter, when did it start, when did it end? Can someone come up with a sample copy of one of the issues?

This is the first I heard of it. Has anyone seen one of these or has anyone ever heard of it?

I've seen it. The same issue that Maraniss writes about. He actually cites it. [[But you have to dig in the back of his book.) It's in the Motown collection at the Detroit Public Library [[Hackley Collection). As far as a I know, it was very short-lived. Perhaps only this one issue?

The one that surfaced previously was the HITSVILLE BULLETIN. See this scan:

http://detroitlib.tumblr.com/post/14...-february-1964

That's right. There are two newsletters in this collection. One of each. [[One Platter and one Bulletin.) I've also seen a Motown Newsletter from 1972.

The record store I worked at in Detroit sold a copy of one of the 1963 "issues" back in 2016 or 2017. I was reminded of this by someone sending me one of the Comotion newsletter things from the 70s. I thought the Hitsville Platter was so cool when I made the eBay listing... don't know why I didn't just try to buy it. I lost all the images that were saved on my old computer, but it looks like the auction has been immortalized on Worthpoint with pictures of several of the pages:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ter-1948006891