[REMOVE ADS]

The name "Supremes"

Is it correct that Universal owns the name? I assume Diana had to pay a licensing fee in 2000. So Mary or Diana could license it now for a fee? Just curious. I assume that would not apply for Shantel of course

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Is it correct that Universal owns the name? I assume Diana had to pay a licensing fee in 2000. So Mary or Diana could license it now for a fee? Just curious. I assume that would not apply for Shantel of course

Yes Luke, that is correct. Mary and Mr. Gordy came to a settlement in 1990 [[about a year and half after he originally sold Motown to MCA /Boston Ventures). As we all know, the company was subsequently sold to Polygram.......which was merged into Universal Music Group.

Oh surely Shantel owns the name! As freely as she
    uses it in her interviews and billing with those huge
    arena gigs [[parking lots).

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Oh surely Shantel owns the name! As freely as she
    uses it in her interviews and billing with those huge
    arena gigs [[parking lots).
    Who is Shantel?

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    Who is Shantel?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK_Dv43QiiM

That would be Shantel Baker. It's an old running joke around here. She made 'claims' to have replaced Ross or Terrell. I can't remember which one and I think it
    changed depending what interview you listened to. Maybe some others around here can offer more details.
    There used to be an interview on youtube which appears to be gone now [[thankfully) where she made these claims.

I believe she also replaced Freda Payne

I believe she also replaced Freda Payne
    Shantel originally replaced Barbara Martin, but then came back in the 70s and replaced Freda Payne when Freda was pregnant.

I heard Miss Tonita Turner owns the name. After writing All That Glitters she married a Baron on Spain. So I guess she's now Baroness Tonita 😂😂

Thanks Marv for info. I wonder if there are any stipulations to leasing the name, like having been an original. [[That parking lot performance is certainly one for the ages. I'm touring as the 5th Top)
    Last edited by luke; 08-21-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks Marv for info. I wonder if there are any stipulations to leasing the name, like having been an original. [[That parking lot performance is certainly one for the ages. I'm touring as the 5th Top)
    Yes Luke, that performance certainly was one for the ages! Did you happen to notice the wild enthusiasm of the HUGE crowds! I wonder if she did a 'meet and greet' after this stellar performance?

I would certainly think so lakeside. Parking lots in my area are pretty boring so I'm making a push for Shantel to consider a tour of our lots!

I would certainly think so lakeside. Parking lots in my area are pretty boring so I'm making a push for Shantel to consider a tour of our lots!
    Will you be in the mosh pit?

Of course. We will all be flipping and flopping!

Of course. We will all be flipping and flopping!
    I'm jealous! Wonder if it'll be filmed for HBO?

Netflix highest bidder right now. If Karen Ragland comes in then it looks like HBO will win!

I wanted to be a 4 Top. My brother wanted to be a Temptation. The Truth in Music Act says you have to have at least one original member in the group.

Netflix highest bidder right now. If Karen Ragland comes in then it looks like HBO will win!
    Well....when you have THE ORIGINAL replacement for Ross or Terrell or Freda....well....I think Shantel will be going home with an Emmy.

Was there ever any doubt?

Maybe this has an obvious answer but why did Gordy give Mary such a hard time from the beginning to giving her the name? People have said the name has value but I don't see any Supreme lunch boxes or Supreme gowns being marketed. He let The Vandellas have their name even though they sued him and the Temptations have their name despite conflict with him and of course the Tops and Velvelettes. He and Mary seemed to have a good personal relationship. Did Diana enter into this?

Maybe this has an obvious answer but why did Gordy give Mary such a hard time from the beginning to giving her the name? People have said the name has value but I don't see any Supreme lunch boxes or Supreme gowns being marketed. He let The Vandellas have their name even though they sued him and the Temptations have their name despite conflict with him and of course the Tops and Velvelettes. He and Mary seemed to have a good personal relationship. Did Diana enter into this?
    It was all about money from the time "The Supremes" signed their first Motown contracts in Jan. 1961. Diana does not enter into it. She could not get the name either if she wanted it. Mary may have needed the name very early on in her solo career, but not so much now. She still could have made substantial money off of the name. Look what happened to the Marvelettes.

Where does the money come from?

Where does the money come from?
    From the public that buys the brand product called "The Supremes".

What does public buy besides records ala Temptations, Vandellas etc. no more supremes bread! And no name mentioned in Dreamgirls...

I'm sure if the Supremes never became THE SUPREMES Berry wouldn't care about the name. But because it's associated with motowns biggest star they were NEVER going to relinquish control of it. Thats why Mary couldn't take the name elsewhere like the miracles and temps did.