Here's Candy and The Kisses' "Keep On Searching":

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  21.1 KB
    Here's Harold Hopkins from Texas:

Views: 338
    Here's another Detroit production from 1964, by Timmy Shaw and The Sternphones:

Views: 343
    Here's Eloise singing a Chuck Jackson song:

Views: 349
    This Honeybees' [[Detroit group) was arranged by ex-Motowner, Mike Terry, and produced by Don Juan Mancha, Johnny Terry, and Jack Montgomery [[Marvin Jones) in Detroit in 1966, but was financed by Florence Greenberg's Wand Records, and some of this record were pressed up and even sold on Wand, but it was soon "farmed out" by Florence, to New York's Garrison Records. But, the rights to this should still be owned by whoever bought out the rights to Scepter-Wand's catalogue, you see Florence Greenberg's "Flomar Music" as publishing credit on the right side of the label. Unfortunately, there is no Wand copy on You-Tube:
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-09-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Views: 350
    Here's another of those 1966 Detroit productions by Johnny Terry, Don Juan Mancha, and the owner of The Travler Motel, which were partly financed by, and leased to Florence Greenberg's Scepter-Wand Records in 1966, by The Just Brothers. Like The Honey Bees, it was supposedly released on Wand Records [[# 1144). It was pressed up mainly on Garrison Records and distributed commercially. Notice on the credits on the attached Garrison label scan, Florence Greenberg's Flo-Mar Music publishing Co. Unfortunately, the Garrison video has terrible sound quality, so I've placed the local, Detroit Empire video here. I have seen some issues of The Honey Bees on Wand, so I know it WAS issued on Wand. I've never seen a copy of The Just Brothers on Wand. So, I don't know if Wand ever released Wand 1144 commercially, before leasing it to Garrison:

From Wand Records Discography:
    Name:  Wand 1141-1144.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  Just Brothers - Garrison.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  61.4 KB
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-09-2020 at 07:48 PM.

Views: 365
    Here are Chicago's Ivories produced by Barry Despenza from 1967:

Views: 323
    Here's the other Don Mancha/Herman Griffin-produced Diane Lewis Wand 45 from 1966. Unfortunately, there is no original Wand video on You-Tube. I've included a scan of my 45 below:

Name:  Diane Lewis 2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  42.2 KB
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-09-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Views: 340
    Here's a nice early '70s Chicago production by Gene Chandler on Curtis Blandon:

Thank you, Robb!
    Some like Harold Hopkins were new to me.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 18175
    Here's Detroiter Gino Washington with a great 1964 sound:
    I recall back in those days actually having this Gino Washington single in my collection, but one thing that I was never able to determine. Granted, Gino was a Detroiter as he had the very first 45 on Ric Tic #100 - Gino Is a Coward/Puppet On a String. This song indicates he is accompanied by the Rochelles and the Atlantics. I was curious at that time but was never able to learn exactly who sang in each of these background groups. Perhaps there were some later Motown singers in this early Gino Washington release. Does anyone know who the members were of the Rochelles and the Atlantics?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I recall back in those days actually having this Gino Washington single in my collection, but one thing that I was never able to determine. Granted, Gino was a Detroiter as he had the very first 45 on Ric Tic #100 - Gino Is a Coward/Puppet On a String. This song indicates he is accompanied by the Rochelles and the Atlantics. I was curious at that time but was never able to learn exactly who sang in each of these background groups. Perhaps there were some later Motown singers in this early Gino Washington release. Does anyone know who the members were of the Rochelles and the Atlantics?
Views: 327
    Gino Washington had his own review [[entourage) act, who accompanied him on gigs at clubs or college venues. He had his own in-house band. He didn't sing backed up by house bands. The Atlantics were his own band. They had been with him when all of them were in high school. They played all his music, but didn't sing at all. The female back-up group were his only vocal backup group from 1963-65. I'm not completely sure that his '62 back-up group on his Correc-Tone release was The Rochelles, or another female back-up group, provided by producer, Robert Bateman [[it certainly wasn't The Supremes, who backed Wilson Picket, and James Velvet [[Satintones' James Ellis?). I don't think the girls group who backed Gino from 1968 on were the same as The '63-65 or '66 Rochelles.

For 55 years, I've been trying to find out who The Rochelles were. They were definitely NOT the New York Area group, who recorded for several New York Metro labels from 1962-64. But they were local Detroiters, who had to live there to play with Gino on all his local gigs [[he never left town to go on tour in those early days. There were rumours among collectors that 2 of them were Joyce Vincent and Telma Hopkins [[Thelma LaVerne). But, I really don't put much credence in that theory. I think it was just wild guessing.
    I've asked many Detroit friends who were around back then, [[Ron Murphy, Ralph, Spyder, Clay, Dennis, etc.) who The Rochelles were. The best I got was only that they were friends of his from high school. But no one knew any names.
    Here's an instrumental release by The Atlantics on The local Detroit Amon label [[the original Detroit label that released Gino's "Out Of This World" and "Come Monkey With Me":
    Name:  The Atlantics -Amon.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  52.2 KB
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-18-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Thank you Robb. I learned a lot more than I had anticipated. You certainly know your music by all means. You are truly an asset to the Motown and Soulful Detroit forums.
    Appreciate it very much.

Views: 246
    Just to complete my thought on the rumour that some collectors were passing during the late '60s and early '70s that Joyce Vincent and Telma Hopkins [[AKA Thelma LaVerne) were two of the 3 Rochelles, I want to compare their high schools, given that contemporaries of Gino's mentioned that The Rochelles were high school friends of his.
    Starting off the comparison, Gino attended Detroit's Pershing High, while Telma attended high school in Highland Park. I don't know where Joyce went to high school, but I imagine it was in Detroit. Does anyone here know if she attended Pershing or a nearby school?

WOW Robb, that's quite the collection. I enjoyed them all. I saw the Broadway Play, Baby It's You on or off Broadway just before it closed. I had heard the soundtrack on the radio and was blown away by it and flew from Canada to see the play. It was basically the Florence Greenberg story...even her inter-racial affair with Luther Dixon. The soundtrack was produced by Richard Perry...it was great music.

Views: 213
    Speaking of finding out who The Rochelles were, what about The Sternphone's, who backed up Detroiter Timmy Shaw on "I'm A Lonely Guy" on Wand, above, and on "Gonna Send You Back To Georgia"??? What an odd name for a female backup group! I've always wondered who they were. Timmy was always working with Johnny Mae Matthews. So, maybe The Sternphone's were The Wonderettes who did a lot of BGs for her from 1965-68[[although they don't sound like that group), and the Wand cuts were 1964.

Does anyone here know who The Sternphone's were? I wonder if famous Detroit Girls groups moonlighted singing back-up, like The Supremes, Martha and The Vandellas, and The Andantes did? The Paulettes and Fayettes were really The Andantes. I know that Pat and Diane Lewis, and Jackie and Betty Winston did a lot. And Telma Hopkins and Joyce Vincent did as well, for almost every producer in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    WOW Robb, that's quite the collection. I enjoyed them all. I saw the Broadway Play, Baby It's You on or off Broadway just before it closed. I had heard the soundtrack on the radio and was blown away by it and flew from Canada to see the play. It was basically the Florence Greenberg story...even her inter-racial affair with Luther Dixon. The soundtrack was produced by Richard Perry...it was great music.
Views: 239
    Some people are so surprised when they see how many Detroit Soul records were released by Scepter-Wand. I guess that's mostly because Luther Dixon had a lot of Detroit connections[[through Popcorn Wylie, Robert Bateman, The Hamilton Brothers, and others, and because Johnny Terry had a bunch, as well).

So, you're a Canuck, too, eh? From which province?