[REMOVE ADS]

12/31/62 Motown Concert at MI State Fair?

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've come across a few websites that claim some Motown artists performed at the MI State Fair Coliseum on New Year's Eve in '62. However, I haven't seen any photos, ads, or even newspaper clippings to support this claim. Is there anything out there anyone has stumbled upon relating to this?

Here's the concert listing:
    Dec 31 1962 [[New Year's Eve): Marvin Gaye, Martha and the Vandellas, the Contours, Mary Wells, the Miracles, the Supremes and Little Stevie Wonder appeared at the Michigan State Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've come across a few websites that claim some Motown artists performed at the MI State Fair Coliseum on New Year's Eve in '62. However, I haven't seen any photos, ads, or even newspaper clippings to support this claim. Is there anything out there anyone has stumbled upon relating to this?

Here's the concert listing:
    Dec 31 1962 [[New Year's Eve): Marvin Gaye, Martha and the Vandellas, the Contours, Mary Wells, the Miracles, the Supremes and Little Stevie Wonder appeared at the Michigan State Fair.
    Hi Emily,

There is a bit of conflicting information. The Michigan State Fair usually took place in late August-early September. The 1962 Michigan State Fair took place August 24th thru September 3rd. I didn't find any information of the Revue performing there during those dates. I tried looking up info myself and haven't come across anything about them being at the Coliseum. It's possible the New Years show took place at the Fox Theatre in downtown Detroit. I will check with a few other sources and see what I can find.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 08-17-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the response! The only mentions I found of it are in "Once In A Great City" and an article in the Jan. 5th, 1963 Billboard Magazine [[found just today). It would be great to see pictures of this...

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 12.32.49 PM.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  4.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Hi Emily,

There is a bit of conflicting information. The Michigan State Fair usually took place in late August-early September. The 1962 Michigan State Fair took place August 24th thru September 3rd. I didn't find any information of the Revue performing there during those dates. I tried looking up info myself and haven't come across anything about them being at the Coliseum. It's possible the New Years show took place at the Fox Theatre in downtown Detroit. I will check with a few other sources and see what I can find.
    It probably took place at the Fox or Olympia Theaters in Detroit. It would have been too cold and snowy to have a concert at the fairgrounds that time of year.