[REMOVE ADS]

Lionel Richie May Boycott Kennedy Center Honors

Don't blame him. Go Lionel!

I hope not. The link between the Kennedy Center Honors and the Office of the President is very attenuated. I would not want Lionel, or LL Cool J and the legendary Carmen De Lavallade to miss their lifetime achievement moment because of Drumpf's short tenure in the White House.

It's time to make a public statement, now more than ever. Go Lionel!

I saw the interview on the Today show. He walked a very thin line with everything he said so as not to offend anyone. There was no reason to believe that he would actually miss the presidential cocktail party as Norman Lear plans to do. He noted his discomfort with the situation but I truly doubt he will say or do anything more regarding it. And, to be clear, he [[and Norman Lear) are not talking about boycotting the Honors ceremony, just the cocktail party with the president.
    Last edited by thommg; 08-16-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Good for him. I hope he does boycott.

I'm sorry, but is Lionel even relevant in 2017? It's going to take more than him boycotting the Kennedy Honors to make a statement.

I just read that Lionel might also be as a jurymember on American Idol's new season

I just saw Lionel on tour in Tampa with Mariah Carey he is relying heavily on backing tracks these days especially on the faster songs .

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    I just saw Lionel on tour in Tampa with Mariah Carey he is relying heavily on backing tracks these days especially on the faster songs .
    Was it a good show anyway? And by backing tracks - vocals? How was the audience reaction to both?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'm sorry, but is Lionel even relevant in 2017? It's going to take more than him boycotting the Kennedy Honors to make a statement.
    Perhaps he's refusing to attend for his own sake and not anything to make him "relevant", whatever that's supposed to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    With all due respect, "relevancy" is not the issue here. What President Douchey von Shitface just did in the face of unspeakable tragedy and hatred was a declaration of WAR. You are either on the side of the fascists or you are on the side of righteousness. ALL citizens, regardless of their "relevancy," have a moral obligation to stand up for what is right in the face of this evil. And to stay away from a reception with effectively the leader of the white nationalist movement is a great step...no matter how "relevant" you feel he or she may or may not be.
    Last edited by sansradio; 08-17-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    With all due respect, "relevancy" is not the issue here. What President Douchey von Shitface just did in the face of unspeakable tragedy and hatred was a declaration of WAR. You are either on the side of the fascists or you are on the side of righteousness. ALL citizens, regardless of their "relevancy," have a moral obligation to stand up for what is right in the face of this evil. And to stay away from a reception with effectively the leader of the white nationalist movement is a great step...no matter how "relevant" you feel he or she may or may not be.
    Amen. Very well said Sansradio.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Amen. Very well said Sansradio.
    Thanks, Ran. This is a battle for the soul of America.

THIS. No award is worth any recognition of a 'potus' who watched nazis march American streets with torches chanting death to Jews. Lionel will be more awarded [[if he so chooses) by sitting out the event. And [[from a non-fan) Ritchie is every bit as relevant as Ella Fitzgerald, Nat Cole, etc were at the same stage of their careers.

The honors that will be held at the Kennedy Center really have nothing to do with the President of the US, [[or even the current guy who is holding the office.)

The weekend-long ceremony includes the Chairman's Luncheon, State Department dinner, White House reception and the Honors gala performances and supper
    The attendees can go to the lunch and dinner [[where they will receive their rainbow colored ribbon to be hung around their neck) skip the White House reception and then go to the Kennedy Center to be honored.

The guy who currently occupies the White House does not support the arts and will probably cancel the reception when he sees that some honorees are not attending [[just as he cancelled his Business Council when business executives were resigning from his council)

The current part time resident of the White House was the first President in 36 Years to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner. Perhaps he will skip this event too.

In 2015, President Obama got to the Kennedy Center Honors late. I think that was the night that Bin Laden was killed and the President had to address the nation before going to the event.

The first President Bush did not attend the Kennedy Honors and President Clinton also did not attend. President Carter did not attend l because he was in the middle of the hostage crisis.

Perhaps the current occupant of the White House will also not attend because he will be too busy tweeting.

It would be foolish of any of the honorees to skip the actual Kennedy Center Honors. If they wish to protest in any way, they should just decline the invitation to the White House reception.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    If they wish to protest in any way, they should just decline the invitation to the White House reception.
    I think someone mentioned that this is the part of the event in question, not the actual honors ceremony.

In 2015, President Obama got to the Kennedy Center Honors late. I think that was the night that Bin Laden was killed and the President had to address the nation before going to the event.
    Correction: bin Laden was killed in 2010. I think you may be conflating this with the White House Correspondents' Dinner of that year, which President Obama did attend with none of the public the wiser about the machinations of that operation which were proceeding as the ceremony went on.

And yes, the White House reception is at issue, not the honor itself, which has very little, if anything, to do with the President. And I, for one, thank God for that; otherwise, David Duke would be getting one.
    Last edited by sansradio; 08-18-2017 at 04:22 PM.

I wouldn't attend the reception either; it is a small statement but it's the best one Lionel can make.

No, he is not relevant as a hit making artist anymore - but like Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder - he is a legendary heritage artist.

Is the USA going to have it's own civil war again? Some Canadians are wondering.

How many people didn't vote for Hillary for whatever the reason was - too many pantsuits, no real sense of humour, female, they'd already been President once? As President Obama said, she was more ready than he or Bill ever were.

And instead you ended up with a dangerous clown. As least Steven Bannon seems to understand that if you fight North Korea, you'll kill 10 million people in Seoul in an hour; the clown doesn't even understand that.

Correction: bin Laden was killed in 2010. ....And yes, the White House reception is at issue, not the honor itself, which has very little, if anything, to do with the President and I,for one, thank God for that; otherwise, David Duke would be getting one.
    Well, I guess I am half right. I remember Michelle sitting next to Obama's empty chair and the President came in late because he gave an address to the nation. I just did some fact checking and the address was about terrorism, not about the taking out of Bin Laden. And your statement about David Duke getting a Kennedy Honor if it were up to the current President cracks me up

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.963bd6d13cfd

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I wouldn't attend the reception either; it is a small statement but it's the best one Lionel can make.

No, he is not relevant as a hit making artist anymore - but like Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder - he is a legendary heritage artist.

Is the USA going to have it's own civil war again? Some Canadians are wondering.

How many people didn't vote for Hillary for whatever the reason was - too many pantsuits, no real sense of humour, female, they'd already been President once? As President Obama said, she was more ready than he or Bill ever were.

And instead you ended up with a dangerous clown. As least Steven Bannon seems to understand that if you fight North Korea, you'll kill 10 million people in Seoul in an hour; the clown doesn't even understand that.
    Have you heard that Steve Goebbels-Redux Bannon is out as of today? He actually tendered his resignation on the 7th, but current events stalled the announcement. The floor of the New York Stock Exchange erupted in cheers and applause when the news broke. Let's pray Orange Foolius follows suit forthwith.

Well, I guess I am half right. I remember Michelle sitting next to Obama's empty chair and the President came in late because he gave an address to the nation. I just did some fact checking and the address was about terrorism, not about the taking out of Bin Laden. And your statement about David Duke getting a Kennedy Honor if it were up to the current President cracks me up

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.963bd6d13cfd
    I should have said that assclown Ted Nugent instead, since Dukey's not in the arts...Dump's probably saving the Congressional Medal of Honor for him.
    Last edited by sansradio; 08-19-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

The new civil war idea is a real thing among US philosophers as well. Apparently our current gvmt has lasted longer than any previously existing democracy and if past be prologue is due for a fall. So Canada may get a new citizen before long. Hillary was unfortunately shop-soiled after decades in the public eye and, despite qualifications and intelligence, could not define her own reason for becoming prez [[Ted Kennedy had the same problem).
    I'm a lifelong Dem and voted for Hills, but I have to say after '08 she should have called it a day. I don't think the va-jay-jay was the problem. It was her inability to face herself [[ie: HAND OVER THE DAMN SERVER! PUBLISH THE DAMN GS SPEECHES! GET IT OVER WITH!!) Anyhoo, times move on. djt knows nothing. He watched nazis march the streets of America chanting death to Jews and really, just didn't care.

Back to the awards. "Relevancy" is not the issue for lifetime achievement awards such as Kennedy so we shouldn't waste space using the word. There are currently 1,286,563 award shows [[I've counted) for relevant musicians. Good for them. So be it. Personally I don't know/think that Lionel has 'earned' the Kennedy [[based on past winners) but if their committee thinks so, good for Lionel. And as I said posts ago, it's his decision to make.

Have you heard that Steve Goebbels-Redux Bannon is out as of today? He actually tendered his resignation on the 7th, but current events stalled the announcement. The floor of the New York Stock Exchange erupted in cheers and applause when the news broke. Let's pray Orange Foolius follows suit forthwith.
    I knew about the Bann-ishment but not the part about the NYSE. Amazing. But are you sure they weren't cheering Yvonne Elliman's return to newsworthiness? And, hence, is France Joli next, I query?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I knew about the Bann-ishment but not the part about the NYSE. Amazing. But are you sure they weren't cheering Yvonne Elliman's return to newsworthiness? And, hence, is France Joli next, I query?
    I nominate Tina Charles.😁

I nominate Tina Charles.
    '... loves to dance, loves to dance ...'

Update: Der Fuhrer 2.0 himself won't be attending. Fuck off, snowflake.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3425356

Thanks, Ran. This is a battle for the soul of America.
    Amazing. It seems to me that America is racist and it is not going to change. It hasn't since it's founding.