[REMOVE ADS]

Unreleased Jean, Mary and Cindy

I recently came across some wonderful, unreleased songs on You Tube by the Jean Terrell-led Supremes. Standouts such as "You Went And Stepped On My Dream," "Loneliness Is A Lonely Feeling" and "Traveling Light." Can't understand why they weren't included on "This Is The Story." Some surpass the quality of those included in the retrospective. Does anyone know if these songs will ever be released?

I have asked that question once or twice myself and never got an answer. I hope the remaining unreleased 70's Supremes do see the light of day.

MissLish Guest
    Could one of you provide the link?

Here's the link to "You Went And Stepped On My Dream." Should have been a single release; could have gone Top 10, imo. What do you all think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iun5GJKd7A0

"You Went And Stepped On My Dream" is actually entitled "Steppin' On A Dream." It was originally released by David and Jimmy Ruffin, but Jean may have recorded it first as I believe it's listed in Mary's Dreamgirl itinerary as being an early 1970 track they recorded. I am hoping that something like this track might be included on either another "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" or "Cellarful of Motown" or even [[if possible) a "Lost & Found: '70s Supremes." I just can't imagine that Harry & Andy would hold back tracks with the intention of never using them. I believe that "Loneliness Is A Lonely Feeling" and "Travelin' Light" are both from 1973--maybe from when Frank Wilson recorded with them before things disintegrated with JML. Just a theory...

Thanks a lot, danman869!

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Here's the link to "You Went And Stepped On My Dream." Should have been a single release; could have gone Top 10, imo. What do you all think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iun5GJKd7A0

Thank you. I must add that with most of the unreleased material, I hear why it went unreleased; however, they are still fun to listen to.

MissLish Guest
    One of the commentators on Soft Days said these are the Stevie Wonder produced tracks. Soft Days, IMO, doesn't come to life until Mary's lead part. Typically, this was not the case. Well done, Mary!

I don't know if it is still up on youtube, but someone posted the unreleased "That's How Much You Made Me Love You" which I thought was really really good! I remember reading somewhere that it was an outtake from the "Right On" album.

Yes, bradsupremes, "That's How Much..." is still up on YouTube. A nice, mellow tune with all three Supremes in fine form.
    Thanks for mentioning it.

smark21 Guest
    The best thing I can say for both Soft Days and Stepped on a Dream is that they are professional, but nothing special. Unlike something like Life Beats, I can see those two got vaulted.

These are nice to hear now but, I don't think any of these should have been singles. To my ears and in my opinion they are "b" sides or album fillers only if anything. I am happy with "This Is The Story" as it was released.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    These are nice to hear now but, I don't think any of these should have been singles. To my ears and in my opinion they are "b" sides or album fillers only if anything. I am happy with "This Is The Story" as it was released.

I Agree - cute but not single material, sweet little album fillers, to honor the contract.

Dan:

I too thought "Loneliness" was from 1973, but someone here [[maybe Harry or Andy) posted that it was actually one of Jean's first recordings.

John

Are we talking about the same song that the Vandellas did on Sugar & Spice.

Yes, same song.

"Loneliness" a great Martha & the Vandellas song. In fact this is reminding me what a great album Sugar n Spice was!!! I need to pull that one out and put it in my car!!!

One would think with 2011 being the 50th "anniversary" of The Supremes, that there would be several releases from "the girls" this year. To their credit, Harry and Andy and Co. always delivery a quality product, which to me, is well worth any wait. I'm just grateful that they listen and release anything, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    One would think with 2011 being the 50th "anniversary" of The Supremes, that there would be several releases from "the girls" this year. To their credit, Harry and Andy and Co. always delivery a quality product, which to me, is well worth any wait. I'm just grateful that they listen and release anything, at all.
    Hip-O-Select Twitter
    More Diana and Supremes are on the cards, fear not friend
    3:07 PM Jan 19th via web