[REMOVE ADS]

Here's The Detroit Emerald's Version Of ODE TO BILLY JOE

From their Ric-Tic days , this can only be found as the "b" side to one of their singles [[SHADES DOWN). It won't appear on any album of theirs, but then they didn't put out any LPs under that company.

I feel like I shouldn't be liking this hip version, it's just too upbeat for the storyline . Yet here I am listening , and once again bopping my head the entire time. Love the gruff approach and the quick ending. Good stuff.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-14-2017 at 02:45 AM.

I used to own this 45 but I thought "Ode To Billy Joe" started off as the "A" side .. "Shades Down" was a San Remo Strings instrumental and so was hardly a good vehicle to highlight the group's vocal talents.

Even 45Cat is showing "Shades Down" as the "A" side ...

http://www.45cat.com/record/rt138us

Either way, this version of "Ode To Billy Joe" has certainly been airbrushed from history and I've yet to see it on a CD. Not "Soul" enough I suppose, and yet the BOBBY GENTRY original of the song actually made the Top 10 of Billboard's "R&B" singles chart back in 1967!!

Curious ...

Roger

SHADES DOWN is terrific , I like it as well , but ya it hardly makes sense , a Detroit Emeralds instrumental at all , much less as their "A" side ????
    As for "ODE" not being "soul" enough ...let them try telling that to Joe Tex

that's soul food on that table y'all!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-14-2017 at 04:16 AM.

"Ode To Billy Joe" is a great song, period.