[REMOVE ADS]

The Jean Terrell Love Thread

My favorite Supreme after Diana Ross is the beautiful woman who took her place in 1970, Miss Jean Terrell, who with her silky and soulful voice ushered the world's most celebrated girl group into a new era of hits - - - one that lasted until she departed in 1973.

Three short years but the lady most certainly left her indelible mark on the Supremes legend.

Last edited by LoveSupreme; 08-12-2017 at 02:47 PM.

A very talented woman. I loved her recordings. Unfortunately her religious beliefs, if enacted nationally, would severely inhibit my quality of life, which is far more important to me than entertainment.

Ah yes, the wonderful Jean. Love her voice. Such soul and yet such sweetness.

And those pictures are great, LoveSupreme, do you know where they are from?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    A very talented woman. I loved her recordings. Unfortunately her religious beliefs, if enacted nationally, would severely inhibit my quality of life, which is far more important to me than entertainment.
    Sorry to hear that, PNH. That's tough. Must be difficult to accept when you love Jean as a singer. What religion does she follow?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Sorry to hear that, PNH. That's tough. Must be difficult to accept when you love Jean as a singer. What religion does she follow?
    Jean T is a Jehovah's Witness.

I actually mean this as a compliment, because I love both ladies for different reasons, but in that top photo especially, she looks like LaWanda Page!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    My favorite Supreme after Diana Ross is the beautiful woman who took her place in 1970, Miss Jean Terrell, who with her silky and soulful voice ushered the world's most celebrated girl group into a new era of hits - - - one that lasted until she departed in 1973.

Three short years but the lady most certainly left her indelible mark on the Supremes legend.

I hope Ms. Terrell realizes the successful role she played in reshaping the Sups. Her amazing voice gave new life to the group. That woman could sing! It is so nice to see a thread dedicated to her. I will never forget the reaction in the neighborhood when the new Sups first appeared on TV! Everyone loved Jean. I wish her the best of health and happiness.

I grew up one of those. It's an awful religion.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Ah yes, the wonderful Jean. Love her voice. Such soul and yet such sweetness.

And those pictures are great, LoveSupreme, do you know where they are from?
    The pictures I posted come from musician Preston Glass' website. She performed at one of his events.

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    Thanks PNH. I have heard bad things about that religion I have to say. There is a Kingdom Hall on our street as well.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-13-2017 at 04:31 AM.

The pictures I posted come from musician Preston Glass' website. She performed at one of his events.
    Nice, thanks LoveSupreme

Interesting. Are you able to support performers who are members? I can't. If anyone, as an adult, chooses to be a devotee of any group that actively discriminates against another religion, orientation, etc., that logically means the devotee agrees with those positions. If a person believes in a higher power and wants to be part of a worship group they can, in a weekend [[or day!) of research find a worship community that rejects these hateful ideologies.

great voice and talent. sad her stay with the supremes was so short but love the first 4 albums.

Interesting. Are you able to support performers who are members? I can't. If anyone, as an adult, chooses to be a devotee of any group that actively discriminates against another religion, orientation, etc., that logically means the devotee agrees with those positions. If a person believes in a higher power and wants to be part of a worship group they can, in a weekend [[or day!) of research find a worship community that rejects these hateful ideologies.
    But is there a religion whose leaders and followers have never advocated ideas and practices that many of would consider biased
    today? Also, can anyone prove that those who follow or identify
    with any one faith wholeheartedly believe in every single one
    of it's tenets? Back in the 80's a Jehovah Witness church destroyed
    one of my relationships. Fast forward to today, one of my best friends
    who I play chess with almost every week is a Witness...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    But is there a religion whose leaders and followers have never advocated ideas and practices that many of would consider biased
    today? Also, can anyone prove that those who follow or identify
    with any one faith wholeheartedly believe in every single one
    of it's tenets? Back in the 80's a Jehovah Witness church destroyed
    one of my relationships. Fast forward to today, one of my best friends
    who I play chess with almost every week is a Witness...
    Hi Splanky! Of course both individual and group ideologies and beliefs can change; JW’s have not. Until they make a public statement of regret and denounce the beliefs I refer to my opinion will remain. You would have to ask your friend why s/he subscribes to a group with these ideologies and make your own decisions. A recent correlative - why did djt not say “I denounce the alt-right and neo-nazi movements and refute any positive mention of my name by those groups”? My answer: because he agrees with them. He’s just too cowardly to say so.

My three favorite Supreme voices are Flo Ballard, Diana Ross and Jean Terrell. Jean's voice is incredible. Vocally she was a perfect replacement for Diana. The eight albums she recorded with the group each contain some fantastic Jean vocals. Her solo album is underrated IMO. I definitely love this woman's voice.

There used to be a video of Jean's performance on Youtube. I don't know if it's still there.

Thanks for creating this thread, LoveSupreme. Jean was, as others have noted here, the perfect replacement for Miss Ross; her gifts are astounding. It's high time her solo album was back in print/available for download.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Thanks for creating this thread, LoveSupreme. Jean was, as others have noted here, the perfect replacement for Miss Ross; her gifts are astounding. It's high time her solo album was back in print/available for download.
    You're welcome!

Jean also performed on a PBS show. She wasn't on the televised part but was on the DVD/video if purchased. Has anyone seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Jean also performed on a PBS show. She wasn't on the televised part but was on the DVD/video if purchased. Has anyone seen it?
    Jean Terrell appears on the DVD 'More Superstars of Seventies Soul Live' and performs 'Stoned Love'. Unfortunately Jean was not in great voice and I have read reports that she may have been suffering from a head cold/flu on the night. Interestingly, Fredi Poole is one of her backing singers for this performance.

Thanks Ozmo. Did you watch it?

Somehow I came upon this. I hope it helps.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...Terrell-on-PBS

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks Ozmo. Did you watch it?
    Yes Luke I have seen this clip. As I stated previously, while imo it was not Jean's best vocal performance, it was nevertheless great to see her onstage again performing an iconic Supremes song.

Found these two songs by Earnie and Jean Terrell on Youtube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHpW90fI8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew7Ryeyir98
    Last edited by mistercarter2u; 08-16-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Talented, but temperamental. IMO Jean hides behind her religion; she wouldn't promote "I Had to Fall in Love" because of her beliefs, but she sure had no problem taking the $$$ to record it.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Talented, but temperamental. IMO Jean hides behind her religion; she wouldn't promote "I Had to Fall in Love" because of her beliefs, but she sure had no problem taking the $$$ to record it.
    Temperamental, yes. Jean's difficulty was not new when she turned to the Jehovah's Witness faith. She was difficult going back to when she joined the group back in 1970. I think it's one of the reasons why she never became a huge star on her own. She just didn't have the temperament.

there was no way to be a Jehovah's Witness and not think EXACTLY like everyone else. Because dissent was forbidden.

we were basically taught not to think critically. We weren't allowed to criticize and if we were having any dissenting opinions it was because of Satan. And if we got in trouble or kicked out, we would lose our families because they would not be allowed to talk to us anymore [[disfellowshipped). It truly was a cult. We were also heavily discouraged from post secondary education, and actively warned against "worldly knowledge." We were taught that we couldn't read the bible without the explicit guidance of the Jehovah's Witness organization, as that's the only way to interpret the bible. Any personal reading and personal interpretation was strictly forbidden as it was seen as satan's lense.

we also weren't allowed to vote, we were expected to be politically neutral, no saluting the flag [[considered idolatry), no birthdays or holidays, no crosses, no blood transfusions, and no researching or reading any material critical of Jehovah's witnesses. No talking to ex Jehovah's witnesses. No watching horror films, no dating without a chaperone...it was not for me. I don't mind supporting people who have their religions because it's their personal choice, as long as they aren't overly extreme I guess.
    Last edited by imakicola; 08-17-2017 at 02:43 AM.

there was no way to be a Jehovah's Witness and not think EXACTLY like everyone else. Because dissent was forbidden.

we were basically taught not to think critically. We weren't allowed to criticize and if we were having any dissenting opinions it was because of Satan. And if we got in trouble or kicked out, we would lose our families because they would not be allowed to talk to us anymore [[disfellowshipped). It truly was a cult. We were also heavily discouraged from post secondary education, and actively warned against "worldly knowledge." We were taught that we couldn't read the bible without the explicit guidance of the Jehovah's Witness organization, as that's the only way to interpret the bible. Any personal reading and personal interpretation was strictly forbidden as it was seen as satan's lense.

we also weren't allowed to vote, we were expected to be politically neutral, no saluting the flag [[considered idolatry), no birthdays or holidays, no crosses, no blood transfusions, and no researching or reading any material critical of Jehovah's witnesses. No talking to ex Jehovah's witnesses. No watching horror films, no dating without a chaperone...it was not for me. I don't mind supporting people who have their religions because it's their personal choice, as long as they aren't overly extreme I guess.
    I have family members and I know many Jehovahs Witnesses. Most everything you say above is true. But I have never ever heard you were not to read the Bible without their guidance. That is simply not true. In fact they study and read the Bible constantly. They encourage their members to read the Bible all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I have family members and I know many Jehovahs Witnesses. Most everything you say above is true. But I have never ever heard you were not to read the Bible without their guidance. That is simply not true. In fact they study and read the Bible constantly. They encourage their members to read the Bible all the time.
    I didn't say they can't read the Bible. We read it like crazy. Let me clarify. We weren't allowed to read the Bible to draw personal INTERPRETATIONS. we had to interpret everything exactly as the organization wanted. We had to read the Bible extensively...but we had to do it through the lenses and guidance of the organization. We were warned about reading it and trying to interpret it differently, almost every single day. If we didn't know what something meant, we had to ask. And we couldn't read it with the intent of finding an error in the doctrine. That would be Satan trying to trick us. Because we also called being a jw "the truth." And that the world and Satan would always try to sway us away from the "truth," and try to get us stuck in a false truth, which might even just be a slightly different opinion.
    Last edited by imakicola; 08-22-2017 at 12:43 PM.

I respect others opinions but I'm really not happy about the turn this particular thread took. My intention was to celebrate Miss Terrell's talent as a performer and as a former member of The Supremes, not to critique or debate her own personal or religious beliefs.

I respect others opinions but I'm really not happy about the turn this particular thread took. My intention was to celebrate Miss Terrell's talent as a performer and as a former member of The Supremes, not to critique or debate her own personal or religious beliefs.
    My only judgement is that Jean was incredibly talented and the best replacement for Diane! Unlike others, I liked her soulful riffs. A great idea for a thread Nonetheless. Be cool to see Mary and Jean do a few performances together.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Unlike others, I liked her soulful riffs.
    Same here. She gets accused of over singing but I don't think there's any Jean vocal that I can think of off the top of my head that I would characterize in this way. Patti Labelle has been perhaps the biggest legendary offender of over singing. Queen Aretha has had moments where it pains me to admit that she may have over sung something. But to me Jean's vocalizing just sounds like straight singing to me. To each his own, I guess.

To me, Jean Terrell was the ultimate female vocalist in the 70s. She absolutely ranked with Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick etc. I still enjoy listening to her today!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    My only judgement is that Jean was incredibly talented and the best replacement for Diane! Unlike others, I liked her soulful riffs. A great idea for a thread Nonetheless. Be cool to see Mary and Jean do a few performances together.
    That will never happen in a million years.

I agree with LoveSupreme that it's sad that this thread has focused on jean's religious beliefs and criticism thereof.
    After all, soul came from gospel - not just a solid Christian tradition but the protestant, evangelical part of it, and the number of greats who either abandoned soul to return to their roots or became ordained ministers is quite high.
    [[I'm not a JW BTW - or indeed of any religion - I just think some respect is called for).
    For what its worth I think Jean was one of the standout vocalists of her era, she revived the Supremes in difficult circumstances, and one song - Stoned love - ranks [[for me at least) as one of the dozen or so culminating anthems of soul.

Linda Jones was guilty of this too

Give me Patti LaBelle and Aretha singing from their hearts and souls anytime. I think criticism of them often comes from people who just can't or won't go there. I saw Patti once do everything she's been criticized for and it was THE best and most soulful and heartfelt performance I have ever seen. Some people just don't get "it." I think that's why right or wrong Music has been categorized into r and b and gospel and pop etc. PS and when I pass on I wanna hear Linda Jones, Lorraine Ellison and Flo Ballard pulling out all the stops!! Angels of song
    Last edited by luke; 08-26-2017 at 01:58 PM.

OK my [[hopefully!) friend - back to basics. I was lucky to see JMC at the Royal Box showroom of the Americana Hotel in NYC during the glory years and it was a wonderful experience. The girls wore their moon pantsuits [[the silver with half-moon tops) and looked gorgeous. The arrangements were a tad fast for my taste but these were 2-shows-nightly [[and, perhaps, three on Saturday) so that's how it was done. All the ladies sang superbly. Visually/performance-wise Mary was a bit frantic, Cindy a tad shy, and the best way I can describe Jean is 'serene'. Despite her temperamental reputation she was a superb presence - singing, dancing, audience interaction, all just perfect. A nice memory of a great talent.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    Linda Jones was guilty of this too
    There were some songs I feel like Linda may have jumped into hard when a different approach is needed. But all in all Linda Jones was the truth. She was singing from somewhere deep in her soul and she knocks me out. That was one sangin' lady.

The mark of a good singer IMO is one who knows how to approach a song. Some songs deserve a good old fashion, dramatic, all over the place [[in a good way) reading, while others should have a more laid back approach. Aretha's "oversing" days have mostly been in her later years and I suspect that a lot of that was her trying to overcompensate for the fact that her instrument just wouldn't do what it once did. But back in the day Aretha was one of the best at interpreting a lyric and what was needed to give the best performance.

Patti Labelle is a great singer, but she can come across as being more concerned with blowing the roof off the mutha than giving the song the treatment it deserves. Case in point: Labelle's performance of "Sara Smile" at some awards show in the 70s. Horrible. HORRIBLE. Sarah and Nona were on point and the thought of the group doing this great song is enough to send shivers down my spine because they had the ability to murder that song. Instead Patti decides to scream the entire lyric. Scream "Sara Smile"? She should have been kicked off the stage for that. Every song doesn't need that treatment. It's like making a dessert. Sometimes more or less sugar can wreck the entire thing. Sometimes Patti adds more than necessary and we all get diabetes because of it. No thanks.

Jean was never that kind of singer to me. She knew just what to give to make the song go over. Sometimes the mood called for her magnificent gospel flourishes, and other times it didn't. She was effective either way which is why I love her.

I listened to a self-made expanded edition of 'Right On' this weekend on a drive by myself I reached the conclusion that, without a doubt, Jean T is among the best vocalists of the rock/soul era. In the car with no distractions on my way to a day-job, I was able to focus completely on Jean's vocals, and every note and inflection is superb.