[REMOVE ADS]

Jackie Shane - New Release!!!

Name:  Jackie 4.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  49.1 KB

Recognized by genre aficionados as one of the greatest singers and most riveting stage presences in soul music, Jackie Shane has remained largely unknown outside Toronto, where her career briefly flowered in the 1960s. Ms. Shane is a star without parallel—a pioneer of transgender rights born in a male body, living her entire life as a woman at a time when to do so seemed unthinkable.

Any Other Way is the first artist-approved collection of Ms. Shane’s work, collecting all six of her 45s and every highlight from the legendary 1967 live sessions at the Sapphire Tavern, including three mind blowing, previously-unreleased tracks. Any Other Way marks Jackie Shane’s first communication with the public in nearly half a century. Rob Bowman's extensive liner notes tell, for the first time ever, Ms. Shane’s story in her own words, copiously illustrated with never-before-seen pictures from a career and life unlike any other.

Coming October 20, 2017 from the Numero Group.
    Last edited by brother_love; 08-06-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Jackie with Frank Motley
    Name:  Frank Motley & Little Jackie Shane LR.jpg
Views: 7748
Size:  83.8 KB
    Name:  jackie_s_160w.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  98.9 KB
    Name:  JS lo-res 3.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  66.1 KB
    Name:  JS lo-res 2.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  56.7 KB
    Name:  JS lo-res.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  46.3 KB
    Name:  jackie2a.jpg
Views: 2750
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  cd.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  26.7 KB
    Name:  cd2.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  JackieShane.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  18.3 KB
    Jackie Shane - 1960s

Wow ... girl gonna get some chicken!! Thanks so much for this post. I assume Jackie's still with us?
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 08-06-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Yes she lives in Nashville and is now 77.

Amazing, great news. Hiding in plain sight all these years. I hope she's well.

Oh wow, that's amazing. I hadn't heard of Jackie before. She really is a pioneer, how fantastic. I shall check her out! Thanks for sharing brother_love

Historically, this is nice because after that whole episode of Night Train first surfaced folks like me were wanting information about the artist who performed on that show. I'm still looking for more information on Peggy Gaines who on the show sang "One Step Ahead of Heartbreak." Also the Hi Tones who sang background for others on the show and did a number themselves [["Come Fly With Me"). Please post if you have info on these artist.

As for Jackie, it's good to see she is still around. It would be interesting to hear an interview on her.
    Last edited by mr_june; 08-08-2017 at 11:34 AM.

I just found out about Jackie for the first time a few months ago and was so pleasantly surprised to read about her history here in Toronto. So fascinating! A real trailblazer! Thank you for posting the info concerning this CD set. Looking forward to buying it!

Here the is the pre-order link via Numero Group:

http://www.numerogroup.com/products/...-any-other-way

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I just found out about Jackie for the first time a few months ago and was so pleasantly surprised to read about her history here in Toronto. So fascinating! A real trailblazer! Thank you for posting the info concerning this CD set. Looking forward to buying it!

Here the is the pre-order link via Numero Group:

http://www.numerogroup.com/products/...-any-other-way
    Have you listened to the podcast from a while back? Worth a listen.

I'm pleased to learn about Ms. Shane for the first time here. She's electrifying! Great voice. I've added this new anthology to my iTunes wish list. Good stuff, brother_love!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Have you listened to the podcast from a while back? Worth a listen.
    Not yet...I remember seeing a mention of it in an article I read about her on CBC's website. I totally forgot about it. I will need to check it out. Thanks!

Before Sylvester....there was Jackie Shane. They were only a few
    years apart in age [[about 10-11) and even fewer in performing. But, things had opened up so much by the late 60's and early 70's
    and the beginning of the disco. Jackie was certainly a brave soul and pioneer in those early days. Glad to hear Jackie is still with us.
    I bet Jackie has some stories to tell!!

Sylvester was not trans. He was a gay male who identified as male who wore drag...like RuPaul. I've never heard of Jackie Shane but she presented as female.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Sylvester was not trans. He was a gay male who identified as male who wore drag...like RuPaul. I've never heard of Jackie Shane but she presented as female.
    I wasn't aware Jackie Shane was surgically trans. I never read the op report.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

Before Sylvester....there was Jackie Shane. They were only a few
    years apart in age [[about 10-11) and even fewer in performing. But, things had opened up so much by the late 60's and early 70's
    and the beginning of the disco. Jackie was certainly a brave soul and pioneer in those early days. Glad to hear Jackie is still with us.
    I bet Jackie has some stories to tell!!
    True, and I hope girlfriend gets to tell them -

In modern parlance "trans" means identifying as, and living as, a gender other than your biological gender. It doesn't necessarily entail reassignment surgery or physiological changes. I just meant that Jackie Shane appears to have lived as a female. Sylvester lived as a male -- a very colorful, flamboyant, liberated male -- and did not identify as a female.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    In modern parlance "trans" means identifying as, and living as, a gender other than your biological gender. It doesn't necessarily entail reassignment surgery or physiological changes. I just meant that Jackie Shane appears to have lived as a female. Sylvester lived as a male -- a very colorful, flamboyant, liberated male -- and did not identify as a female.
    Yes, Guy....I see where you're coming from and I agree with you.

Jackie does her first interview in 40 years for the NY Times!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/15/a...ies-below&_r=0

Fabulous! Thank you brother love. So happy to see her getting so much coverage in the press. Well deserved. Looking forward to getting this set. I just can't decide if I should get the CD or vinyl or both. The design looks great. When she does her comeback shows in Toronto, I will certainly be there!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Fabulous! Thank you brother love. So happy to see her getting so much coverage in the press. Well deserved. Looking forward to getting this set. I just can't decide if I should get the CD or vinyl or both. The design looks great. When she does her comeback shows in Toronto, I will certainly be there!
    Yes, I would love the CDs for the sound, but the LPs would be great for the larger booklet.

I had the same thought, brotherlove. I also got in touch with Numero Group to find out if there were any differences with the booklet or tracklisting between the vinyl and CD versions. They confirmed that there are four extra songs on the CD version that they couldn't fit onto the vinyl set.

I bought the red vinyl of the Live album [[reissue) this past week and I love it. Jackie Shane is getting a lot of coverage at the moment. She was on the cover of NOW this week, which is a weekly newspaper that is freely distributed in the subways and throughout downtown Toronto. Great interview inside of it. I believe there should be an online article of it as well.

Bump: I downloaded the Any Other Way album about a month ago and just got around to listening to it today. I got my entire life!!! I especially love the live patter. And the voice? She's like the love child of Clyde McPhatter and Tina Turner! I am so grateful to brother_love for introducing me to this explosive talent.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Bump: I downloaded the Any Other Way album about a month ago and just got around to listening to it today. I got my entire life!!! I especially love the live patter. And the voice? She's like the love child of Clyde McPhatter and Tina Turner! I am so grateful to brother_love for introducing me to this explosive talent.
    Enjoy Sans Radio!
    Name:  JACKIE-SHANE lr.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  34.8 KB