[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Until he says something that bothers you and you'll be back

Ok people it's starting to lose control, let's keep on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Both of you were off, the examples I listed were solos, no background vocals whatsoever. So technically Lynda and Scherries' "solos" aren't solos and marv I don't know why you even mentioned Mary's background singers when they shouldn't be
    Thank you Blackguy69. I now understand what you were saying.

Ok people it's starting to lose control, let's keep on the subject
    Genuine question. did Ralph make you co-moderator?

Y'all are doing the most in this thread today. Lol

Does anyone else besides me hear Diana singing "Our day will come...our day will come..." at the end of- you guessed it- "Our Day Will Come"??

Mary will make another album - then another - then ANOTHER! And she will never leave all those millions of fans - out there - in the dark! Funny thing is I have no opinion of her one way or another. But her fanatics - right?? It's like the trump voters insisting he is the best and most productive potus EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Y'all are doing the most in this thread today. Lol

Does anyone else besides me hear Diana singing "Our day will come...our day will come..." at the end of- you guessed it- "Our Day Will Come"??
    I wasn't sure if it was Diana, Flo, or both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I wasn't sure if it was Diana, Flo, or both of them.
    I used to think it was Diana and Flo but now I think the voice sounds a little deeper, so maybe it's Mary and Diana. I wonder if Mary [[?) and Diana [[and/or Flo?) did the background and the producers decided to replace them with the Andantes afterwards. Since the song wasn't released at the time, maybe it was incomplete, like "Stay In My Lonely Arms".

[QUOTE=PeaceNHarmony;405997]Mary will make another album - then another - then ANOTHER! And she will never leave all those millions of fans - out there - in the dark! Funny thing is I have no opinion of her one way or another. But her fanatics - right?? It's like the trump voters insisting he is the best and most productive potus EVER![/QUOTE
    Like the Diana fans thinking she walks on water

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Where in the thread does it say if they had a solo while being signed to Motown? Blackguy69 said he didn't include RTL which is fine. But he didn't say anything about while being signed to Motown!! Kareen and Lucy were just Mary's background singers. They were never Supremes so you can't compare the two. Diana let the Jones Girls have a solo spot during her days with Motown but you wouldn't include them because they would be considered like a Karen and Lucy background singers.
    Sorry, but I do not understand anything you just posted here.

Diana Ross paying Motown to license the name. What's the difference? It was licensed by Motown! And I know Lynda and Sherrie were not signed to Motown at the time. My point is Mary's Kareen and Lucy were never signed to Motown ever!! Lynda and Sherrie are former Motown recording artists.

The name "The Supremes" was not licensed by Motown. Motown owns that trademark. I think you forgot the original premise that even brought up the name Lynda. Lynda did not have any solo or leads recorded by Motown when she was in the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    The magic was gone. Diana did not hit regularly as a solo act. Every few years she woul have a hit.
    If you look at her solo career, it was always hit or miss.

my memory might be cloudy but i believe the initial plan was for Motown to release a "live' album and DVD of "RTL" before everything quickly went sideways so thereby Motown did have a hand in it at the beginning anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    my memory might be cloudy but i believe the initial plan was for Motown to release a "live' album and DVD of "RTL" before everything quickly went sideways so thereby Motown did have a hand in it at the beginning anyway
    Uh uh , nope! That was all rumor..... sorry Jimi.

Yes I remember that too. It was not a rumor. If the tour would have did good there was going to be a live album and DVD issued by Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The name "The Supremes" was not licensed by Motown. Motown owns that trademark. I think you forgot the original premise that even brought up the name Lynda. Lynda did not have any solo or leads recorded by Motown when she was in the Supremes.
    Sorry but I don't understand anything you posted!!

Yes I remember that too. It was not a rumor. If the tour would have did good there was going to be a live album and DVD issued by Motown.
    That tour was doomed the moment they walked into that press conference at Grand Central Station here. Everyone in New York knew it except Diana Ross evidently! No Universal/Motown was not wasting any money or time on that travesty, that charade.

Motown had just dropped Diana Ross from their label in 2000, the year RTL went out. Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence also did not have recording contracts with Motown in 2000. The fact is Motown had NOTHING to do with that tour and had no plans whatsoever to produce a CD or DVD for that tour. They had worked hard to finally get rid of Diana Ross and had just succeeded in 2000. They were not going to resign her just to record a RTL CD LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 08-10-2017 at 12:00 AM.

If the original planned tour with Cindy, Mary and Diana had done well there was talk of a possible new album...[[Why on earth would people buy a live cd of Diana Ross and two women she never sang with before ??)
    Last edited by luke; 08-10-2017 at 12:01 AM.

That tour was doomed the moment they walked into that press conference at Grand Central Station here. Everyone in New York knew it except Diana Ross evidently! No Universal/Motown was not wasting any money or time on that travesty, that charade.

Motown had just dropped Diana Ross from their label in 2000, the year RTL went out. Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence also did not have recording contracts with Motown in 2000. The fact is Motown had NOTHING to do with that tour and had no plans whatsoever to produce a CD or DVD for that tour. They had worked hard to finally get rid of Diana Ross and had just succeeded in 2000. They were not going to resign her just to record a RTL CD LOL!
    Okay Mr know it all. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    If the original planned tour with Cindy, Mary and Diana had done well there was talk of a possible new album...[[Why on earth would people buy a live cd of Diana Ross and two women she never sang with before ??)
    Just like they bought many cds of Diana Ross with and without the Supremes!!

[QUOTE=blackguy69;406001]
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Mary will make another album - then another - then ANOTHER! And she will never leave all those millions of fans - out there - in the dark! Funny thing is I have no opinion of her one way or another. But her fanatics - right?? It's like the trump voters insisting he is the best and most productive potus EVER![/QUOTE
    Like the Diana fans thinking she walks on water
    She does. I've seen it.

I remember the same; I believe that's why the opening was professionally filmed. But it was a wonderful concert and the three ladies did themselves well in their performances.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I would answer that but the answer is already obvious. Diana Ross had been issuing flop CDs for years by that point. Lynda and Scherrie had not recorded for quite some time.

RTL...the topic that spawns a thousand arguments. The tour can't be considered anything but a stain on the career of Diana Ross. She should have just scrapped the Supremes thing and did her own thing. But she was stubborn and still felt like she needed to prove something- that she could do the Supremes on her own- and she got her face broke.

At the same time Diana in all likelihood- along with her "replacement Supremes", as they are sometimes disrespectfully referred to- still managed to pack more people each night during a failed tour than Mary Wilson has ever been able to do in her post Supremes career. And the tour would have put more money in Mary's bank account than she had made since the Supremes heyday [[when you account for inflation).

So bottom line is neither side has any laughing room. Everybody involved f'd up. I bet they all wish things had been different. But I doubt any of them are losing sleep over it and since that time both Diana and Mary have achieved some additional career highlights. So as usual the Supremes story still ends up with high notes.

RTL...the topic that spawns a thousand arguments. The tour can't be considered anything but a stain on the career of Diana Ross. She should have just scrapped the Supremes thing and did her own thing. But she was stubborn and still felt like she needed to prove something- that she could do the Supremes on her own- and she got her face broke.

At the same time Diana in all likelihood- along with her "replacement Supremes", as they are sometimes disrespectfully referred to- still managed to pack more people each night during a failed tour than Mary Wilson has ever been able to do in her post Supremes career. And the tour would have put more money in Mary's bank account than she had made since the Supremes heyday [[when you account for inflation).

So bottom line is neither side has any laughing room. Everybody involved f'd up. I bet they all wish things had been different. But I doubt any of them are losing sleep over it and since that time both Diana and Mary have achieved some additional career highlights. So as usual the Supremes story still ends up with high notes.
    Thanks RanRan79. I agree with you 100 percent.

No they didn't. They only got just under 3,000 to come to their show in Columbus,OH for example. Mary doesn't book arenas, so can't say what you did with any truth or evidence to support your statement.

Marv this is one on those moments that you just need to leave it alone. mary or Diana don't need defending on this issue. It happened and it's done. They moved on. You and some of the others on here need to do the same

Marv this is one on those moments that you just need to leave it alone. mary or Diana don't need defending on this issue. It happened and it's done. They moved on. You and some of the others on here need to do the same

Ok thanks.................

No they didn't. They only got just under 3,000 to come to their show in Columbus,OH for example. Mary doesn't book arenas, so can't say what you did with any truth or evidence to support your statement.
    That was only one of their shows. They played 14 shows before it was cancelled. Some shows sold very well. Madison Square Garden was sold out. That one show is probably a bigger crowd than all of Marys shows put together for the whole year.

PLEASE let's keep RTL in perspective. Many RTL shows sold beautifully, many did not. Let's not be childish enough to use extremes as the norm ...... Also, comparing Diana and Mary attendance is silly, they do not have comparable careers.... NO ONE expects Mary to draw like Diana, so the comparison is absurd and useless. Mary has a fine career for her abilities and opportunities. I am proud of her growth as an artist. Ditto Diana. She is an icon, and to pick out her failings is idiotic without mentioning her achievements. Yes, Mary doesn't book arenas, but are you at all serious in your statement that you don't know how she'd draw? Diana may have been hit and miss, but that doesn't mean it kept her from signing the most lucrative contract in history at the time. That was a signing BONUS, btw, not and advance.
    'PLEASE LETS NOT RUN DOWN THESE TWO GIANTS. Both have fans and detractors, but both deserve respect and honor. Yes, RTL was a mess, but the shows were great and everyone loved them. Yes, Motown WAS planning CD&DVD releases AND the possibility of a studio album that got chucked when Mary and Cindy dropped out, but the other plans were still a go. Yes, Mary now wishes she had played her cards differently and Cindy blamed Mary for it all.
    Marv, you are wrong about Diana not being on the label in 2000. Her contact expired in 2002 by mutual agreement as she was fed up with them, and they never forgave her for not touring to support Every Day Is A New Day. she refused to sing those songs because they made her sad.
    Mary is very happy these days, as is Diana. Mary wishes she were more financially sound, Diana wishes she were younger. I can pick at both, and I choose not to. I appreciate both and respect their decisions to have the relationship they have. I continue to watch them live and get pleasure from both. At times LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    PLEASE let's keep RTL in perspective. ... PLEASE LETS NOT RUN DOWN THESE TWO GIANTS ...
    Thank you.

PLEASE let's keep RTL in perspective. Many RTL shows sold beautifully, many did not. Let's not be childish enough to use extremes as the norm ...... Also, comparing Diana and Mary attendance is silly, they do not have comparable careers.... NO ONE expects Mary to draw like Diana, so the comparison is absurd and useless. Mary has a fine career for her abilities and opportunities. I am proud of her growth as an artist. Ditto Diana. She is an icon, and to pick out her failings is idiotic without mentioning her achievements. Yes, Mary doesn't book arenas, but are you at all serious in your statement that you don't know how she'd draw? Diana may have been hit and miss, but that doesn't mean it kept her from signing the most lucrative contract in history at the time. That was a signing BONUS, btw, not and advance.
    'PLEASE LETS NOT RUN DOWN THESE TWO GIANTS. Both have fans and detractors, but both deserve respect and honor. Yes, RTL was a mess, but the shows were great and everyone loved them. Yes, Motown WAS planning CD&DVD releases AND the possibility of a studio album that got chucked when Mary and Cindy dropped out, but the other plans were still a go. Yes, Mary now wishes she had played her cards differently and Cindy blamed Mary for it all.
    Marv, you are wrong about Diana not being on the label in 2000. Her contact expired in 2002 by mutual agreement as she was fed up with them, and they never forgave her for not touring to support Every Day Is A New Day. she refused to sing those songs because they made her sad.
    Mary is very happy these days, as is Diana. Mary wishes she were more financially sound, Diana wishes she were younger. I can pick at both, and I choose not to. I appreciate both and respect their decisions to have the relationship they have. I continue to watch them live and get pleasure from both. At times LOL
    Motown dumped Diana Ross! She was not making any money for the label once she returned. They dropped her in 2000 not long after her husband dropped her in 2000. You are wrong. They [[Motown) are not even regularly issuing her canned or old catalog unless you include what they did as the Supremes now.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-10-2017 at 06:07 PM.

It was in 2002 when she was arrested for extreme drunk driving.

Marv you are so wrong, let it go

The dropped her in 2000 not long after her husband dropped her in 2000. You are wrong. They [[Motown) are not even regularly issuing her canned or old catalog unless you include what they did as the Supremes now.
    How come they just issued "on vinyl" Diana Ross 1980?

A review of it says it only sold 9 million copies world wide.

A review of Red Hot said it sold 942 copies on release.

Well, it is comparable; 1/10th of 1% of the sales of the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Go back to sleep. Shouldn't you be somewhere up there dealing with that opiod crisis in your neighborhood? LOL Get out of Dodge, no one is buying Diana Ross music and it will not see any significant re-release until she is dead and then it may not get re-released.

Marv you are so wrong, let it go
    Ok but he was getting on my nerves. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Wow, J-Rob... all these copies of Diana's solo albums re-released by Hip-OSelect/Universal must be figments of my opioid crisis. I also see in my hallucination "Diana Ross 1976" and "Diana and Marvin" on vinyl. Do you see them as well?
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-10-2017 at 06:33 PM.

I know damn well you aint talking about truth and evidence!!! LMAO Oh I am over here cracking up!!! Oh boy!!!! LMAO That was a good one Marv!!! We can always count on you to lighten the mood Cool Cat!!! Thanks for that.

But I'll concede that I didn't check into actual figures regarding each night of the tour. I was taking what I felt was an educated guess. You were right to call me on it.

Also, comparing Diana and Mary attendance is silly, they do not have comparable careers.... NO ONE expects Mary to draw like Diana, so the comparison is absurd and useless.
    As the person who made the comparison, my point, which I tried to sum up in my last paragraph of that post, and apparently didn't do a good job of it since people cherry picked which part to have an issue with, was that neither RTL "side pickers"- the Rossers [[pro RTL) and the Wilsonites [[anti RTL)- has room to sling mud at either side. Diana took a career hit by doing the show and the Wilsonites take potshots at her career because of it, as evidenced in a post or three before my first post. My point about Mary is that even in a failed Diana tour Mary couldn't put those kinds of numbers in seats even if she did play arenas, so what room do they have to talk? Likewise, Mary walked away from RTL with public perception largely being in her corner. She looked like someone standing up for herself against the woman who has been kicking her down since the 1960s. And to a certain degree Diana helped that perception. Mary was smart enough to use RTL to her advantage. Diana was dumb enough to try to use RTL to inflate her ego, so how can the Rossers take shots at Mary for not participating? Of the two she may have been the smarter one. So the point is, no matter which side you are on, there is no room for throwing "shade" at either woman. RTL was what it was. But don't get it twisted, I wasn't running either lady down with my comments. I do not have that reputation on this board and I'm not about to start one because of the dreaded RTL topic.

That was only one of their shows. They played 14 shows before it was cancelled. Some shows sold very well. Madison Square Garden was sold out. That one show is probably a bigger crowd than all of Marys shows put together for the whole year.
    That simply cannot be. Mary is the GREATEST STAHH EVEAHH!

Originally Posted by vgalindo
    That simply cannot be. Mary is the GREATEST STAHH EVEAHH!
    I get that some of you are reacting to outlandish statements, but can we not run Mary down? Just because outlandish and untrue statements are made on her behalf doesn't mean she is making them, nor condoning them.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I get that some of you are reacting to outlandish statements, but can we not run Mary down? Just because outlandish and untrue statements are made on her behalf doesn't mean she is making them, nor condoning them.
    I'm not running Mary down; I'm agreeing with her fans here that she is the biggest recording star who ever lived! I just read somewhere that her solo recordings have outsold Streisand-Franklin-Ross AND Houston COMBINED! We must BOW! Jazz stations no longer play Holiday or Fitzgerald - they play MARY! AC stations have jeittisoned Streisand and Dion and supplanted with the solo hits of MARY! R&B and oldies stations no longer play Supremes, Mary J, etc. They play nonstop the HITS OF MARY! We must all get with the program and BOW DOWN TO MARY!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 08-10-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Wow, J-Rob... all these copies of Diana's solo albums re-released by Hip-OSelect/Universal must be figments of my opioid crisis. I also see in my hallucination "Diana Ross 1976" and "Diana and Marvin" on vinyl. Do you see them as well?
    They also just released "Baby It's Me" on lavender vinyl, "The Boss" on red vinyl, and the "Diana" album on clear vinyl. And also the Chic mixes on a double vinyl. They are all truly wonderful. Somebody must be buying these because they keep releasing more and more.

I'm not running Mary down; I'm agreeing with her fans here that she is the biggest recording star who ever lived! I just read somewhere that her solo recordings have outsold Streisand-Franklin-Ross AND Houston COMBINED! We must BOW!
    I know...its frustrating.

They also just released "Baby It's Me" on lavender vinyl, "The Boss" on red vinyl, and the "Diana" album on clear vinyl. And also the Chic mixes on a double vinyl. They are all truly wonderful. Somebody must be buying these because they keep releasing more and more.
    What?!?!?!? How did I miss Baby Its Me?????. Off to Amazon I go. Damn, just when I thought this thread had no redeeming qualities. Thanks, Vgalindo!!!!

What?!?!?!? How did I miss Baby Its Me?????. Off to Amazon I go. Damn, just when I thought this thread had no redeeming qualities. Thanks, Vgalindo!!!!
    VG always has good posts. I'm glad s/he hangs on here. And the Ross colour vinyls - I swoon. Just gorgeous.

I know...its frustrating.
    Gotta have fun, right?! After all - it's just a music blog! Mary's not the problem; it's the fanatics.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 08-10-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Gotta have fun, right?! After all - it's just a music blog!
    Yes of course. The sarcasm was lost on me at first. Hard to tell on the inter tubes.

Yes of course. The sarcasm was lost on me at first. Hard to tell on the inter tubes.
    I understand fully! I wish 'em all well. Just gotta have fun!