[REMOVE ADS]

Is this the version of DR&S Greatest Hits Quad Japan with alternate versions?

One unicorn in my Motown collection is the Japan Quad version of Diana Ross & The Supremes Greatest Hits with supposedly different versions [[not mixes) of their hits.

Is this the one with alternate versions? And which songs are alternates?
    Name:  R-8280157-1458533753-8371.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  17.1 KB
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...elease/8280157

Given that I've never been able to find a physical copy in my usual record stores, I can't confirm that this is the version of that LP with the alternate versions. There are several other versions of this set [[expanded to a double disc set) and given the prices, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger to find out I've bought the wrong copy.

Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    One unicorn in my Motown collection is the Japan Quad version of Diana Ross & The Supremes Greatest Hits with supposedly different versions [[not mixes) of their hits.

Is this the one with alternate versions? And which songs are alternates?
    Name:  R-8280157-1458533753-8371.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  17.1 KB
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...elease/8280157

Given that I've never been able to find a physical copy in my usual record stores, I can't confirm that this is the version of that LP with the alternate versions. There are several other versions of this set [[expanded to a double disc set) and given the prices, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger to find out I've bought the wrong copy.

Any help is appreciated.
    Yes, this is the collection that includes alternate mixes and vocals. Symphony, Love Is Here and You Can't Hurry Love have alternate vocals. Love Is Here is the most unusual, with Diana stopping to critique her performance, and an alternate vocal very obviously being punched in at that moment. I can't believe this error was not caught before release.

There may be other alternate vocals on this LP, but I can only remember the songs mentioned above...

I think if I recall the happening is the version where Diana counts 'once and then it happens, twice ' or something like that I have the l.p. but haven't played it for years

First time I've heard the Quad version of Love Is Here... That's a pretty big flub there, not to mention the second vocal line coming in mid-word [["..y darling, now you're gone...") It's hard to believe how shoddy that is.

Still nice to hear for the first time.

All the tracks have different mixes that I'm not sure have appeared on other collections.

"I'm Living In Shame" is completely different version. It's the unused first version. At the time it was only available on this collection until Supremes Lost & Found when it was given a new mix with a longer fade.

If you listen closely during "The Happening" when they sing the bridge and Diana sings "once," right after it sounds like she's about to sing but it's punched out. You hear a nanosecond of her beginning to sing when Mary & Flo sing the first "And then it happened."

I would really love to know who mixed this album. Either it was someone at Motown who was in a rush and didn't bother in selecting the correct vocals/versions, etc. It could have been someone at Motown who purposely selected these alternates although that doesn't explain some of the shoddy mixes. OR it could have been someone in Japan who didn't know what they were mixing so they just pulled whatever they saw.

this also contained the alt Forever Came Today, but thought it was interesting collection of songs. think this would make a good expanded edition with other gems, but doubt it will happen. got to find my copy

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    this also contained the alt Forever Came Today, but thought it was interesting collection of songs. think this would make a good expanded edition with other gems, but doubt it will happen. got to find my copy
    Forever Came Today is one of my favorite songs. Would someone be able to put the alternate version from this on Youtube? It doesn't seem to be there.