[REMOVE ADS]

"Touch" Cassette Version

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/4B-dFsVsR_k

From "The Supremes 70s Greatest Hits and Rare Classics" CASSETTE.

Thx. Just love this. Could have been a left field smash if promoted a la This Guys in love with you. Mary's warm vocals really sell it and Jean a great counter balance. Cindys lovely vocals icing on the cake! Beautiful, romantic song

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thx. Just love this. Could have been a left field smash if promoted a la This Guys in love with you. Mary's warm vocals really sell it and Jean a great counter balance. Cindys lovely vocals icing on the cake! Beautiful, romantic song
    I completely agree, Luke. This has always been one of my favorite Supremes records. I haven't heard this version in about 15 years since the cassette tape broke free from the spindle. I was surprised at its noticeable differences.

I don't think any of the other songs on the cassette have versions that have not been released elsewhere. If I'm wrong about that, I'd be happy to convert and upload any other unique versions.

Edit: from Greg Jones on another thread about this subject:
    and now, FROM GEORGE SOLOMON:
    Here are the tracks that were different on the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette.

EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE - The CD had an alternate mono mix with a completely different lead vocal by Jean. The cassette version had yet another mono mix with the released vocal. The cassette version can now be found on "The Supremes 70's Anthology". I feel both of these mono single mixes were superior to the one that was released. This record could have been much bigger.
    There is still yet another mono single mix of this song in the vaults that combines both of Jean's vocals.

TOUCH - The cassette included an alternate mono single mix. Listen for Cindy's alternate "Oh baby" after the first verse. Also, Cindy's "Talk to me, talk to me" was eliminated from this mix and Jean's vocal was punched out at the fade. This mix is still unavailable any place else. I personally didn't like any of the mono single mixes of "Touch". This was another great record that I think failed because of an inferior single mix and edit.

AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - I believe I used the released LP mix on the cassette. The CD had an alternate mono extended mix. The full stereo alternate mix can be found on "The 70's Anthology".

IT'S ALL BEEN SAID BEFORE & WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE - Both were on the cassettebut not on the CD. Both were the LP mixes. The single mix of "Where Do I Go From Here" is still unavailable on CD and there is an alternate lead vocal by Scherrie on "It's All Been Said Before" still in the vaults.

HIGH ENERGY - This was a single edit of a mix that eventually came out in its entirety on "The 70's Anthology". The original lead vocal by Scherrie is still unreleased.

YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL - I used the alternate promo lead vocal, which has since come out on CD on the Supremes Box and The Supremes Gold.

LET YOURSELF GO - This was an alternate [[and in my opinion) much better single edit than the released version.

FLY - Scherrie's solo single wasn't included on the CD. Instead I used "Another Life From Now".
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-02-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added new material

Thanks so much Thanxal! I went to pull my copy of rare classics out a few weeks back and couldn't find it. I know where it is [[inaccessible at the moment) but it wasn't where I originally thought it was. This is the version I first fell in love with. Thanks again!

Supposedly there's full lead versions of the song with Mary and Jean on lead. I wonder what they sound like? I wonder if, in addition to a better mix, if the song would have been a hit with one lady on lead instead of two. I love me some Jean but I think you put it best when you say Mary's "warm vocals really sell it". Hope those other versions surface soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Supposedly there's full lead versions of the song with Mary and Jean on lead. I wonder what they sound like? I wonder if, in addition to a better mix, if the song would have been a hit with one lady on lead instead of two. I love me some Jean but I think you put it best when you say Mary's "warm vocals really sell it". Hope those other versions surface soon.
    Couldn't agree more. As much as I love Jean, this song as a Mary solo lead would have been outstanding. Hope any versions of it as a Mary-led song will surface soon. I certainly don't have access to that material!
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-02-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: can't spell

I see what George wrote [[above) a long while back. I have not listened to the CD versions that I have lately. Except for the fade and Cindy's words, what should I be listening for on this cassette version? I have heard about it's existence for years, so thanks, thanaxl!!!!!

Thanks ever so much, thanxal. So nice to hear this version of "Touch" again, as I lost my cassette copy of GH&RC years ago. And listening to it, I remember why I liked this version so much. Such a pity it never made a CD appearance.

Yes you are right. It is still very "listenable" and fits the "Quiet Storm" format.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/4B-dFsVsR_k

From "The Supremes 70s Greatest Hits and Rare Classics" CASSETTE.
    It is going to be difficult for people to find that. You should think of putting the name of the group in the title for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Thanks ever so much, thanxal. So nice to hear this version of "Touch" again, as I lost my cassette copy of GH&RC years ago. And listening to it, I remember why I liked this version so much. Such a pity it never made a CD appearance.
    DJMoch,
    I know from your many posts that you are very knowledgeable. I am always trying to learn more. Could you drop a few lines to help us understand specifically what it is about the quality of this cassette version versus the CD version that varies so.

Thank you in advance. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is going to be difficult for people to find that. You should think of putting the name of the group in the title for the video.
    Hey Marv, I did check and if you search for 'touch supremes cassette version' or something similar, thanxal's video comes up. I agree though, it's always good when the artist is in the video title.

Good point Marv. I’ll change it.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    DJMoch,
    I know from your many posts that you are very knowledgeable. I am always trying to learn more. Could you drop a few lines to help us understand specifically what it is about the quality of this cassette version versus the CD version that varies so.

Thank you in advance. I would appreciate your thoughts.
    This alternate mono mix was described in a post above. I'll repost its segment here:

TOUCH - The cassette included an alternate mono single mix. Listen for Cindy's alternate "Oh baby" after the first verse. Also, Cindy's "Talk to me, talk to me" was eliminated from this mix and Jean's vocal was punched out at the fade. This mix is still unavailable any place else. I personally didn't like any of the mono single mixes of "Touch". This was another great record that I think failed because of an inferior single mix and edit.

To my ears, it honestly wasn't hugely different apart from the ending part. The reason I like it so much was that it was the first version of the song I'd ever heard, as the GH&RC cassette was my first foray into the world of the 70s Supremes. It took me years after that before I heard the LP version [[not to mention the single version). And then years later, I also stumbled over the CD version of GH&RC and was amazed to discover the track listings were utterly different to the cassette. I've since learned about what went on with that compilation, here on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Marv, I did check and if you search for 'touch supremes cassette version' or something similar, thanxal's video comes up. I agree though, it's always good when the artist is in the video title.
    How many people out in the Universe do you think will know to do that?

Good point Marv. I’ll change it.
    Thanks. .........................

thank you for sharing this. I have the cassette but no longer have a player.
    yes there are two leads vocals as Jean recorded a lead then Mary and and they were later mixed as a duet. I think the original plan was for Mary to have the entire lead but someone at Motown felt that since Jean was the lead singer she should have the lead on the single and it was later mixed as a duet for single release

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    This alternate mono mix was described in a post above. I'll repost its segment here:

To my ears, it honestly wasn't hugely different apart from the ending part. The reason I like it so much was that it was the first version of the song I'd ever heard, as the GH&RC cassette was my first foray into the world of the 70s Supremes. It took me years after that before I heard the LP version [[not to mention the single version). And then years later, I also stumbled over the CD version of GH&RC and was amazed to discover the track listings were utterly different to the cassette. I've since learned about what went on with that compilation, here on this board.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. It was very helpful!!!!

They added tambourines to this version?

I love this song too. It is one of my favorite Supremes songs.

I just listened to all the various versions I have and they all have the tambourine played in the background.

I know I'd definitely love to hear an entire Mary-led version of the song. She's got such a sexy, sultry, smokey voice that works brilliantly with songs like "Touch". It would have been absolutely epic.

Thanks for posting, thanxal. I'm looking forward to hearing the other alternate versions on the cassette, especially the unique edit of "Let Yourself Go".

I don't quite agree that "Touch" is this great hit that never was. It's too slight, though pleasant. I'd love to hear a Jean solo version - I'd wager that it was keyed for Jean as, to my ears, it sounds a touch too high for Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Thanks for posting, thanxal. I'm looking forward to hearing the other alternate versions on the cassette, especially the unique edit of "Let Yourself Go".

I don't quite agree that "Touch" is this great hit that never was. It's too slight, though pleasant. I'd love to hear a Jean solo version - I'd wager that it was keyed for Jean as, to my ears, it sounds a touch too high for Mary.
    I doubt it since it was written for Mary

How many people out in the Universe do you think will know to do that?
    If they are looking for the cassette version of the song, I thought they would, but it doesn't matter now 'cause it's being changed, lol

Well I do love the song. Happy with Mary and Jean on lead but then there's this one - definitive it ain't.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Well I do love the song. Happy with Mary and Jean on lead but then there's this one - definitive it ain't.

MIAOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW soundlike sack of drowning cats Terrible,

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post

I didn't catch that. I assumed it was on the Let Yourself Go Boxed Set, but it wasn't. Anyone know if it has appeared elsewhere? If not, I'll post it too. All other songs on the cassette have been released elsewhere, per George Solomon.
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-03-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I actually love their arrangement of this song here. Only problem I have is that the sound is slightly distorted, thus the vocals don't sound as good as I suspect they actually were. This to me is a great example in contrast of what was wrong with the Susaye lineup. Cindy IMO is not a lead singer. She has a beautiful voice whose job should've always been in the harmony. And when she sings with either Mary or Scherrie or when all three blend together it really makes for a beautiful sound. No one sounded as if they were competing for vocals. I love it.

I didn't catch that. I assumed it was on the Let Yourself Go Boxed Set, but it wasn't. Anyone know if it has appeared elsewhere? If not, I'll post it too. All other songs on the cassette have been released elsewhere, per George Solomon.
    Thanxal I don't know about LYG, but if it hasn't been released elsewhere I for one would appreciate if you uploaded it. Also George's notes say that the cassette version of "Where Do I Go From Here" hasn't been released on cd either so if you could upload that I would be grateful. The 70s Hits and Rare Classics was my introduction to the 70s Supremes [[aside from "Heart Do the Walking" and "Early Morning Love") and learning that some of those songs I initially enjoyed are somewhat different than the subsequent versions I eventually obtained has me wanting to hear them again. I'm ticked that my copy is in a box in another state.

I can't find half of my collection! Other cars, other boxes, lent to friends...maddening!

Thanxal I don't know about LYG, but if it hasn't been released elsewhere I for one would appreciate if you uploaded it. Also George's notes say that the cassette version of "Where Do I Go From Here" hasn't been released on cd either so if you could upload that I would be grateful. The 70s Hits and Rare Classics was my introduction to the 70s Supremes [[aside from "Heart Do the Walking" and "Early Morning Love") and learning that some of those songs I initially enjoyed are somewhat different than the subsequent versions I eventually obtained has me wanting to hear them again. I'm ticked that my copy is in a box in another state.
    I thought Where Do I Go from Here was the Lp mix, but you are correct. On further reading, George said that mix was also unavailable elsewhere. I'll upload that and LYG soon.

I thought Where Do I Go from Here was the Lp mix, but you are correct. On further reading, George said that mix was also unavailable elsewhere. I'll upload that and LYG soon.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

"Touch" has never been one of my favorite songs. To me the song needed to be faster or slower, which is why I actually like the slowed down MSC Live in Japan version. This is really a beautiful mix, superior to the others I've heard. Shame it hasn't been released on cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

"Touch" has never been one of my favorite songs. To me the song needed to be faster or slower, which is why I actually like the slowed down MSC Live in Japan version. This is really a beautiful mix, superior to the others I've heard. Shame it hasn't been released on cd.
    You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome!

Edit: I also noticed excessive tape hiss on Touch. I may re-convert it. I'll post a new thread with links to all three when I get them finished. Cassette tape to iMac is a bit of a pain. And weird. Who knew?
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-03-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: more info

Thanaxl and others ....

This is what SDF is all about, i.e., sharing resources and information about the music. I value threads like this!!!!

Thanaxl and others ....

This is what SDF is all about, i.e., sharing resources and information about the music. I value threads like this!!!!
    Yeah we need more of the music discussions around here.

Edit: I also noticed excessive tape hiss on Touch. I may re-convert it. I'll post a new thread with links to all three when I get them finished. Cassette tape to iMac is a bit of a pain. And weird. Who knew?
    I have quite a few cassettes that I would love to convert to my Mac computer. What set up do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I have quite a few cassettes that I would love to convert to my Mac computer. What set up do you use?
    This https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plus Audacity [[which comes with it or free download) plus Apple Garageband [[free on any Mac).

I think if I were to do it again I might look for one with Dolby or similar tape noise reduction. Too much tape hiss on my recent conversions.

You noted that TOUCH with less hiss would be re-posted at the same time the other two cassette tracks were posted. I saw all three and later when I went back suddenly the TOUCH repost was gone. Am I mistaken? Thanks for your efforts!!!

This https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plus Audacity [[which comes with it or free download) plus Apple Garageband [[free on any Mac).

I think if I were to do it again I might look for one with Dolby or similar tape noise reduction. Too much tape hiss on my recent conversions.
    Thanks so much I will check this out.

You noted that TOUCH with less hiss would be re-posted at the same time the other two cassette tracks were posted. I saw all three and later when I went back suddenly the TOUCH repost was gone. Am I mistaken? Thanks for your efforts!!!
    The original hissy version is still up on Youtube. I can't get the hiss out since the tape converter I'm using doesn't have Dolby noise reduction. I might try to remix it later this weekend.

Live version very nice indeed. Scherrie kept the belting to a minimum. Did the record sell in Japan?

Live version very nice indeed. Scherrie kept the belting to a minimum.
    Another reason why this live version works. Scherrie wasn't trying to blow the roof off the mutha. I wonder what a studio re-worked version with this grouping would've sounded like.

The original hissy version is still up on Youtube. I can't get the hiss out since the tape converter I'm using doesn't have Dolby noise reduction. I might try to remix it later this weekend.
    Just wondering if this TOUCH cassette version "remix" was ever posted and perhaps I missed it. Thanks in advance!

I agree , I think Jean is not needed on this track. Mary sounds divine and Jean is shrill by comparison, plus her enunciation is terrible - I like to play Touch for civilians to see what they think and most don't understand a lot of Jean's words. Jean is great, but on this, Mary should have soloed.

THANK YOU for posting this - I have never heard this version and love it.

Just wondering if this TOUCH cassette version "remix" was ever posted and perhaps I missed it. Thanks in advance!
    No and it probably won't be. I can't get the tape hiss out with the lower quality transfer deck.

Been many, many years since I heard the cassette version and there definitely some differences, but still prefer the full album version.

No and it probably won't be. I can't get the tape hiss out with the lower quality transfer deck.
    Thanks, thanaxl. I truly appreciate your posting the three cassette versions!!!!!

Thanks, thanaxl. I truly appreciate your posting the three cassette versions!!!!!
    You're welcome. If I do figure it out at some point, I'll post it again here on SDF.