[REMOVE ADS]

I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can...Marvelettes

I've always dug this song. I love the track, the vocals, everything. I don't think the Marvelettes had ever cut anything so tough. It managed to hit #76 on the pop charts, which is a surprise to me, but didn't do anything r&b, another surprise. So what happened? Why didn't r&b radio pick it up? Do you think it was a bit of a departure in sound? Gladys and Wanda were up until that point the only lead singers on singles, and especially in the case of Wanda, had very identifiable voices, which sound nothing like Ann. Do you think some folks were turned off by it not sounding like the Marvelettes as they had come to be identified?

I'm just discovering the Marvelettes catalog and they recorded a very impressive roster of tracks. I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can is most definitely a favorite. Great song!

I have to be honest. As a fan of the Marvelettes, I bought the 45 when it first came out. The clerk, new at the store, did not know which was the A side, but it was still the Marvelettes, so it didn't matter to me. I gravitated to "Don't Make Hurting Me a Habit" right away. I played the A side, but I wasn't a big fan.

Me neither. It just wasn't anything special to me .

Ann's voice was excellent, but, to my ears, not a good fit for The Marvelettes. Gladys' early vocals were young and unrefined, followed by Wanda's mellower, bittersweet edge, both of which worked quite well for the group. During the "pink" album period, when Wanda and Gladys were both featured fairly equally on album tracks, Gladys had tempered her voice a good deal and the sound then became smoother regardless of which lady was on lead. Ann's bombast just didn't align with the musical image which by then had been created for the group. I certainly enjoyed her leads on "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can" and "Everybody Knows [[But You)," but, to me, "Gonna Hold On" should not have been a single. The group was struggling enough by this time in the wake of Gordy's virtual abandonment of them, and this was not the time to have effected such a dramatic switcheroo. I suppose their producers felt likewise since Ann didn't lead any other singles.

So would you all say that Ann is the issue, or was it the song itself?

I like this song very much, but moreso for the instrumentation than the lead vocals. I agree that Ann's style didn't mesh well with the group.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    So would you all say that Ann is the issue, or was it the song itself?
    This single followed two others that hadn't done all that well. The girls had not had a big hit since MY BABY MUST BE A MAGICIAN. IT could just be that the group's hit days were really over.

Ann sounds great, although this isn't my favorite lead by her. Releasing this record with her voice might have been Motown trying to give the girls a new start. I have no idea how much promotion Motown put into this single, but knowing that the group was in turmoil during this time, there probably wasn't much.

My opinion on "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long I Can" is that it's got a great groove but the song needed a better chorus if it were to score a big hit [[it should've been a B-side or album cut instead of an A-side). Also think that Ann Bogan's work with The Marvellettes should been given another chance [[my favorite song by her with The Marvellettes is "I've Got My Freedom" first released on Forever More).

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I like this song very much, but moreso for the instrumentation than the lead vocals. I agree that Ann's style didn't mesh well with the group.
    That backing track is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Ann sounds great, although this isn't my favorite lead by her. Releasing this record with her voice might have been Motown trying to give the girls a new start. I have no idea how much promotion Motown put into this single, but knowing that the group was in turmoil during this time, there probably wasn't much.
    I didn't think about that Reese. I wonder if maybe Motown was testing the waters with Ann fronting the group, after Wanda began having issues. When the single bombed they decided to stay the course with Wanda. It's really unfortunate that Wanda got off track. To me she is such an underrated talent. I think she could have gone far as a solo with Motown's backing.

Definitely a fave Marvelettes track for me.

I love this song! Very raw and soulful!!! Ann is great, the backing track is fantastic, and overall a great song. I am however quite surprised it was released as a single at all, considering Ann was a new member and not well-known. Maybe Motown were seeing how well an Ann-lead Marvelettes song would do. I think it was something like the fourth single out of the group's Sophisticated Soul LP though. Still, a superb song!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-25-2017 at 08:46 PM.

I'm betting the group was in quite a state when Gladys jumped ship. She had sung the leads on almost all the earlier hits and in performance she and Wanda would switch off. When she took off I suppose they felt they needed a strong second lead, but Ann sounded nothing like Gladys. I never saw them after Gladys left, so I don't know who was then singing those earlier hits in performance. I can't imagine Ann would have sung those so I suppose maybe Wanda might have taken them. Kat certainly would not have. According to what Gladys once told me, Wanda was developing serious difficulties even before Gladys left and I guess they figured, without Gladys there, someone would have to be there to take over should Wanda self-destruct, but I still question the choice of Ann. Giving her that one single as a means of testing the waters is plausible, perhaps, and would thus take the group in a different direction if Wanda should end up unable to record and perform. But when the single flopped, I guess they just decided to stay the course and let the chips fall where they may. I'm sure Ann was extremely capable onstage and that's where the money was for the group by that time.
    Last edited by BigAl; 07-27-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I'm betting the group was in quite a state when Gladys jumped ship. She had sung the leads on almost all the earlier hits and in performance she and Wanda would switch off. When she took off I suppose they felt they needed a strong second lead, but Ann sounded nothing like Gladys. I never saw them after Gladys left, so I don't know who was then singing those earlier hits in performance. I can't imagine Ann would have sung those so I suppose maybe Wanda might have taken them. Kat certainly would not have. According to what Gladys once told me, Wanda was developing serious difficulties even before Gladys left and I guess they figured, without Gladys there, someone would have to be there to take over should Wanda self-destruct, but I still question the choice of Ann. Giving her that one single as a means of testing the waters is plausible, perhaps, and would thus take the group in a different direction if Wanda should end up unable to record and perform. But when the single flopped, I guess they just decided to stay the course and let the chips fall where they may. I'm sure Ann was extremely capable onstage and that's where the money was for the group by that time.
    I never thought about who sang the Gladys led hits after she left. Very interesting situation.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This single followed two others that hadn't done all that well. The girls had not had a big hit since MY BABY MUST BE A MAGICIAN. IT could just be that the group's hit days were really over.

I thought it was Motown's attempt to bring the Marvelettes into the late 60s soul sound. I don't hate this record but I don't really like it.

For me, the track, with or without the extended intro, is only OK.

To my ears, it is a 'muddy' production, lacking the dynamic, ringing Hitsville sound of most Marvelettes recordings to that date. An odd choice for single release, as nothing really to catch your ear, coming out of the radio.

If it were given a crisper production, and taken at a much slower, reflective pace, with Wanda leading in a different key [[say, similar style to 'No Time For Tears'), it could have been much more effective.

As it is, there is no distinguishing 'hook', or clear differentiation between verse and chorus.

Also, there is insufficient contrast between Ann's testifying lead [[which needs more echo) and the background voices, which sound like The Andantes, chirping and chanting way down in the mix - but, in contrast to 'Everybody Knows [[But You)', adding little to the completed track.

It's almost as if the track was perhaps originally intended for another act, but given to Ann to try, maybe even as a demo, or possibly for consideration as an Ann Bogan solo release.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    For me, the track, with or without the extended intro, is only OK.

To my ears, it is a 'muddy' production, lacking the dynamic, ringing Hitsville sound of most Marvelettes recordings to that date. An odd choice for single release, as nothing really to catch your ear, coming out of the radio.

If it were given a crisper production, and taken at a much slower, reflective pace, with Wanda leading in a different key [[say, similar style to 'No Time For Tears'), it could have been much more effective.

As it is, there is no distinguishing 'hook', or clear differentiation between verse and chorus.

Also, there is insufficient contrast between Ann's testifying lead [[which needs more echo) and the background voices, which sound like The Andantes, chirping and chanting way down in the mix - but, in contrast to 'Everybody Knows [[But You)', adding little to the completed track.

It's almost as if the track was perhaps originally intended for another act, but given to Ann to try, maybe even as a demo, or possibly for consideration as an Ann Bogan solo release.
    I agree with you. There was something not right about this record, and you articulated it.

What happened to Ann Bogan? I can't seem to find much about her or maybe I am not looking in the right places.

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    I agree with you. There was something not right about this record, and you articulated it.

What happened to Ann Bogan? I can't seem to find much about her or maybe I am not looking in the right places.
    Here us some information about Ann:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-c...s-mn0001898933

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Here us some information about Ann:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-c...s-mn0001898933
    Fascinating. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    Fascinating. Thanks!

Here's more:

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1190426644

John G. Stumpf Guest

John G. Stumpf Guest

Not crazy about Ann Bogan's voice, but I do love "I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can". The instrumental track with that hot piano really cooks!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Not crazy about Ann Bogan's voice, but I do love "I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can". The instrumental track with that hot piano really cooks!
    I think it's the piano that gets me most of all.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think it's the piano that gets me most of all.
    For me it's the piano and the bass.

as an original fan of the Marvelettes, I thought Ann was a great addition to the group, although I wasn't happy about Gladys leaving.I think Motown released this as an A side, due to Wandas personal problems.No, Motown certainly did not promote the record.I was much more excited about the release of "That's How Heartaches Are Made" & Billboard even had a blip that Motown was really gonna get behind this release[[I think Wandas problems had a lot to do with that not happening).

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    as an original fan of the Marvelettes, I thought Ann was a great addition to the group, although I wasn't happy about Gladys leaving.I think Motown released this as an A side, due to Wandas personal problems.No, Motown certainly did not promote the record.I was much more excited about the release of "That's How Heartaches Are Made" & Billboard even had a blip that Motown was really gonna get behind this release[[I think Wandas problems had a lot to do with that not happening).
    I love their version of "That's How Heartaches Are Made". Without thinking too hard, it might be in my top 5 favorite Marvelettes songs.