[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Sam Cooke Cd's

Sam Cooke Cd's

Has anyone bought The Complete Solo Singles As & Bs 1957-62, Win Your Love For Me: Complete Singles 1956-1962 - A & B Sides [[24Bt Digital Remaster), or Milestones Of A Soul Legend? Are any of them of good quality like the Complete Keen Recordings that was released as a digital download only back in 2011?

My brother has every CD and DVD by Sam Cooke.

I'm skeptical about a public domain release that proclaims it's been "24 Bit Remastered", unless the tracks have been lifted wholesale from a previous "legit" label reissue that had access to masters. I recently bought an Etta James Public Domain set, in an effort to plug some of the gaps in my collection. It had the usual spiel like "24 Bit Remastered", yet one of the tracks was a 1990s re-recording and another track was the right song but the wrong singer [[Eydie Gorme). I had to laugh at their claims about sound quality in light of those glaring errors.

I've had my eyes on this release, also public domain:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Solo...e+solo+singles

You can preview the tracks here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-So...+cooke+singles

I'm curious if these are all genuine Sam Cooke mono mixes, or folds from stereo. That may seem unlikely but I also auditioned another Etta James PD release recently, which tried to pass off "At Last" LP mixes as mono when they were simply folds of the stereo. Perhaps someone who's familiar with Sam Cooke mono and stereo mixes might be able to chime in on this subject...

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I'm skeptical about a public domain release that proclaims it's been "24 Bit Remastered", unless the tracks have been lifted wholesale from a previous "legit" label reissue that had access to masters. I recently bought an Etta James Public Domain set, in an effort to plug some of the gaps in my collection. It had the usual spiel like "24 Bit Remastered", yet one of the tracks was a 1990s re-recording and another track was the right song but the wrong singer [[Eydie Gorme). I had to laugh at their claims about sound quality in light of those glaring errors.

I've had my eyes on this release, also public domain:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Solo...e+solo+singles

You can preview the tracks here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-So...+cooke+singles

I'm curious if these are all genuine Sam Cooke mono mixes, or folds from stereo. That may seem unlikely but I also auditioned another Etta James PD release recently, which tried to pass off "At Last" LP mixes as mono when they were simply folds of the stereo. Perhaps someone who's familiar with Sam Cooke mono and stereo mixes might be able to chime in on this subject...
    That's the one I am really eyeing as well and I have listened to the samples and they do sound great but I am also afraid they might have pulled those samples from somewhere else and when I get the cd the quality might not be good. Just like the Jasmine release and Real Gone releases on Sam Cooke that had many of the songs that I believe were ripped from vinyl. It was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I am also afraid they might have pulled those samples from somewhere else and when I get the cd the quality might not be good.
    I've sought and been refunded on CDs that had poor quality sound. I would be surprised if the samples I posted didn't correspond to the CD.