[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Puzzle

Puzzle

This wonderfully obscure horn-rock jazz-funk pop-soul band, all white and fronted by the fantastic Stevie Wonder soundalike John Valenti, recorded for Motown in the early 1970s and released two LPs on the label: 1973's Puzzle and 1974's The Second Album.

Don't be put off by the shockingly boring and rather stupid album names, the music is good!

Check out this fantastic cut:

Does anyone know more or remember anything about the group? Apparently they were popular live act and that was part of the reason Motown signed them up.

And did/does anyone have any of their albums or singles? Did/do you like them? I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I checked out their albums... I just love those horns, and John Valenti's soulful voice.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-19-2017 at 07:14 PM.

New to me and thanks; more later.

Tom: I am unfamiliar with the group never having heard any of their songs. So when I am in the dark, I consult the Motown Encyclopedia. I assume you don't have this so I will tell you what Graham Betts says.

"Singer and drummer John LiVigni formed Puzzle in Chicago, Illinois with Bobby Villalobos [[guitar) Ralf Richert [[rhythm guitar, trumpet and flugelhorn), Anthony Siciliano [[bass), Larry Klimas [[saxaphone and flute) Bob Williams [[trumpet), and Joseph Spinazola [[keyboards). Their brand of pop and jazz, reminiscent of Chicago, made them a popular live act in venues between Detroit and Chicago and eventually led to them being signed by Motown in 1972. Originally intended for the Rare Earth imprint, they were switched to the main Motown label for their debut album PUZZLE in April 1973. A second album was released the following February, imaginatively entitled SECOND ALBUM. A third album HOW DO WE GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS ALIVE was to have been released later in 1974, but was subsequently cancelled. John LiVigni later changed his name to John Valenti and went solo, recording for Ariola America."

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Thanks Bill, I don't have that book but have read snippets on Google Books before I think. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Thanks Bill, I don't have that book but have read snippets on Google Books before I think. Thanks for the info.
    Glad to assist. I have the book which I find invaluable for "minor" artists and things like this. I will be more than happy to ever assist you, all you need to do is ASK.

I have both albums which I haven't played since I first bought them. I remember finding them too jazzy for me at the time.

I have to admit "Now That You Want Me" sounds pretty good now. I remember quite liking the single "Everybody Wants to Be Somebody".
    Last edited by 144man; 07-20-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    New to me and thanks; more later.
    Yo' welcome PNH! I shall post some more of their tracks in a bit

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Glad to assist. I have the book which I find invaluable for "minor" artists and things like this. I will be more than happy to ever assist you, all you need to do is ASK.
    Mmm, it definitely seems good for those more obscure artistes. Hey, thanks Bill, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I have both albums which I haven't played since I first bought them. I remember finding them too jazzy for me at the time.

I have to admit "Now That You Want Me" sounds pretty good now. I remember quite liking the single "Everybody Wants to Be Somebody".
    Hi 144man, yes, they are quite jazz-funk-ish but it's the horn section and John's fantastic Stevie-like vocals that do it for me!!

Yep, "Now That You Love Me" is really fantastic, can't believe it wasn't even released as a single. It screams hit! Oh, yes, "Everybody" is a great track too.

Feisty jazz-funk!

A popular rare groove track apparently... great stuff...

Lovely midtempo number...

Really nice!

And then there's this absolutely fantastic uptempo tune!!!!!

John Valenti has a fantastic voice... sometimes he reminds me of Stevie, other times it's Jay Kay from Jamiroquai, and on the slower songs the singer from Edison Lighthouse... hmm, lol

other times it's Jay Kay from Jamiroquai
    Not much of a surprise, really. I remember the first time I heard Jamiroquai [[love love love that group), I was amazed just how much Jay Kay sounded like Stevie, at least on some of the songs. This singer too has a definite Stevie Wonder sound to his voice. Never heard of this group before, I love getting exposed to new [[old, LOL) stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Not much of a surprise, really. I remember the first time I heard Jamiroquai [[love love love that group), I was amazed just how much Jay Kay sounded like Stevie, at least on some of the songs. This singer too has a definite Stevie Wonder sound to his voice. Never heard of this group before, I love getting exposed to new [[old, LOL) stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Hey, you're welcome, Emile! John is like Motown's very own Jay Kay!!!!

I believe he actually went on to record a couple of solo albums... I have listened to some of the tracks on them and they were fantastic...

Try this one... wow, John really goes for that Stevie sound here!!! I LOVE IT! Lol

I will admit, I tried to find the clip in which John sounded most like Stevie... I thought it was that one, but it's probably this one... again it's fantastic

I will admit, I tried to find the clip in which John sounded most like Stevie... I thought it was that one, but it's probably this one... again it's fantastic

HOLY MOLY I’ve been playing this a lot recently... IT IS FANTASTIC! Phew

Try this one too... superb Stevie sound

Would be great if both albums were released on CD. They had a great jazzy pop style. Loved their "Concept of Her a Prelude b A Moment Prs Rest c Visions" from "The Second Album"

In the 1970s I collected many of lesser know Motown acts. This group along with Riot were some of my favorites during the 1973-1975 time period.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    Would be great if both albums were released on CD. They had a great jazzy pop style. Loved their "Concept of Her a Prelude b A Moment Prs Rest c Visions" from "The Second Album"

In the 1970s I collected many of lesser know Motown acts. This group along with Riot were some of my favorites during the 1973-1975 time period.
    Oh damn, that track was actually called “Concept of Her a Prelude b A Moment Prs Rest c Visions”...?! I always thought someone uploaded it to YouTube and mislabelled it with nonsense or something, lol

I have seen Riot’s album on discogs but never checked any of the tracks out. I shall do...

I enjoyed the album by Riot better than the Puzzle ones.