[REMOVE ADS]

Contours: "It's Hard Being A Loser" clip

https://youtu.be/jc-7a4HBRQA
    Short video clip.

Thank you, Mack!
    I've always loved this song.

Best regards
    Heikki

Absolutely a great Contours performance. Thanks for sharing.

A Dean-Weatherspoon masterpiece on which Dennis shines along with The Andantes. Also one of Motown's prettiest releases ever.

Wonderful in every way!

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    Uploaded to youtube by the marvellous Venus Clare, I've been enjoying this clip for quite a while since the first link to it on SDF

This and Just a Little Misunderstanding are my favorite Contours songs.

What a great clip! But wonder why the choreographer wanted Dennis to "sit out" the performance? That kind of song, you could see him on his knees, a la James Brown for example. Such a great song and such a moving performance by Dennis.

You can understand why the compilers of the Motown DVD went with the performance of 'Do You Love Me' - but personally I would have much preferred this track on the DVD. Or ideally both!

Thank heavens for Youtube!

[QUOTE=Encyclopedia Mack;400284]https://youtu.be/jc-7a4HBRQA
    Short video clip.[/QUOTE)

why why do many [[not all) YouTube clips respond with "This video is not available" when I try to play them. Is it an American thing?

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    You can understand why the compilers of the Motown DVD went with the performance of 'Do You Love Me' - but personally I would have much preferred this track on the DVD. Or ideally both!

Thank heavens for Youtube!
    Wonder why they went with DO YOU LOVE ME instead of IT'S SO HARD BEING A LOSER and JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What a great clip! But wonder why the choreographer wanted Dennis to "sit out" the performance? That kind of song, you could see him on his knees, a la James Brown for example. Such a great song and such a moving performance by Dennis.
    Kenneth, you said it right about how great the song is and the moving performance by Dennis. I guess the choreographer was just trying to switch it up from showcasing the "same ole, same ole" ways of doing things [[like periodically putting a lead singer who usually stood to our left to all of a sudden stand in the middle). IMO, this sitting works. It is interesting the staging that goes on for these performances.
    Last edited by jobucats; 07-19-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Kenneth, you said it right about how great the song is and the moving performance by Dennis. I guess the choreographer was just trying to switch it up from showcasing the "same ole, same ole" ways of doing things [[like periodically putting a lead singer who usually stood to our left to all of a sudden stand in the middle). IMO, this sitting works. It is interesting the staging that goes on for these performances.
    Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your opinion.
    In my opinion, your reply was awesome. Instead of going off against someone as many people do, you actually sound sincere. Wish more people would do that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    In my opinion, your reply was awesome. Instead of going off against someone as many people do, you actually sound sincere. Wish more people would do that. Thanks.
    Yes, I don't know Kenneth, however, I sensed that he knew I wasn't trying to be a "know-it-all" in my response to to his question which could have been rhetorical. I usually keep my fingers crossed that what I have to comment doesn't come across the wrong way. We need more Kenneths.

That's for sure, jobucats. My friend Kenny is a good guy. I can vouch for that!

Hey guys, I appreciate that but don't think I've qualified for sainthood yet! Seriously, why would I be offended by someone who likes the choreography [[or lack of it for Edwards) more than I did? I'd have to have some serious issues to take such a thing personally!

But thank you for the additional comments. I do appreciate it. That goes for you too, Brother Gary!
    Last edited by kenneth; 07-19-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    This and Just a Little Misunderstanding are my favorite Contours songs.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  21.1 KB
    Same for me. "Baby Hit and Run" by them, with Dennis on lead is my 3rd favourite [[but I like William Weatherspoon's lead on that song best).

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 265
    Same for me. "Baby Hit and Run" by them, with Dennis on lead is my 3rd favourite [[but I like William Weatherspoon's lead on that song best).
    I didn't know Witherspoon sang lead on BHAR, was this the version that was released as a single on the UK in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I didn't know Witherspoon sang lead on BHAR, was this the version that was released as a single on the UK in the 70s.
Views: 235
    No. He was co-writer of the song, and it is believed by most "experts" that he is the one who sang the demo tape made as the guide for The Contours to use. So, he sang over the exact background mix that backed both Dennis Edwards' and Billy Gordon's leads on "Baby Hit and Run". If I remember correctly, there were also male background voices added to Weatherspoon's version. So, I guess that The Contours recorded the background voices to the instrumental tracks, first, and then, Weatherspoon's lead was added to the demo tape.

In any case, I like Weatherspoon's 1965? [[or 1966?) demo version best, then Dennis' 1966 version, then Billy's 1966 version, and last [[and worst), the 1970 version. The latter was way too "modern" sounding.

DFTMC attributes the 1965 lead on BHAR to Jerry Green. Is that the one you say is really Wm Weatherspoon?

I didn't know there was a 1970 version!? I didn't think The Contours were still recording then. Who sings lead on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I didn't know there was a 1970 version!? I didn't think The Contours were still recording then. Who sings lead on that one?
    The single was released in U.K. in 1974 but it was originally recorded in 1967. According to DFTMC, Dennis Edwards was in that lead.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The single was released in U.K. in 1974 but it was originally recorded in 1967. According to DFTMC, Dennis Edwards was in that lead.
    Hey thanks masterblaster... so the song was released by Tamla Motown in the early '70s, but that was the 1966 Dennis Edwards version as you say. I was wondering about the fourth version that Robb mentions, the one recorded [[?) in 1970.

I wasn't even aware that there was a fourth recording of the song. It is a fantastic track of course!!