[REMOVE ADS]

Speaking of Martha and The Vandellas....

We know that all of the Martha and the Vandellas studio albums were released several years ago as CD twofers in the UK. From time to time, it occurs to me how odd it is that over the years the group's albums have not each been released individually. I know that some have -- but not all.

However, Martha and The Vandellas have has numerous compilations released, including a terrific 50th anniversary release.

What are your thoughts about their releases and/or lack thereof ?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    We know that all of the Martha and the Vandellas studio albums were released several years ago as CD twofers in the UK. From time to time, it occurs to me how odd it is that over the years the group's albums have not each been released individually. I know that some have -- but not all.

However, Martha and The Vandellas have has numerous compilations released, including a terrific 50th anniversary release.

I love the Dance Party/Watchout! 2-fer CD [[the UK edition from 2002), Spellbound: Lost and Found and the 50th Anniversary Singles Collection by Martha & the Vandellas. The only album of theirs that hasn't been reissued is Martha & the Vandellas Live! It would be great to see expanded/deluxe editions of their best albums [[and I think that both Dance Party and Watchout! could make great expanded CDs).
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 07-17-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: correction

As individual CDs I have Come & Get These Memories, Heat Wave, Dance Party, Watch Out, Black Magic and Greatest Hits. Missing [[but 2ferd) are Ridin' High, Sugar & Spice and Natural Resources. Missing altogether is Live!

I noted that the 2002 UK twofers were released -- gratefully.

I don't believe SUGAR AND SPICE and NATURAL RESOURCES were released other than on a twofer. Was RIDIN' HIGH?

DANCE PARTY was released as a cardboard digipac from Japan.

Was their GREATEST HITS LP ever issued as a CD with the original gold colored cover or just as various compilations named "greatest hits?"

My query was why all of this popular group's studio albums never got individual releases.

LIVE, of course, although not a studio album, has not been released. That's another story.

I am not being critical, just curious. :-)
    Last edited by longtimefan; 07-16-2017 at 09:50 PM.

I noted that the 2002 UK twofers were released -- gratefully.

I don't believe SUGAR AND SPICE and NATURAL RESOURCES were released other than on a twofer. Was RIDIN' HIGH?

DANCE PARTY was released as a cardboard digipac from Japan.

Was their GREATEST HITS LP ever issued as a CD with the original gold colored cover or just as various compilations named "greatest hits?"

My query was why all of this popular group's studio albums never got individual releases.

LIVE, of course, although not a studio album, has not been released. That's another story.

I am not being critical, just curious. :-)
    RIDIN' HIGH was only released on cd as part of the 2fer with SUGAR AND SPICE.

GREATEST HITS [[1966) was released on cd, as part of the Motown Compact Classics series.

As to why some of their albums like SUGAR AND SPICE or NATURAL RESOURCES never got individual releases, maybe the fact that neither album charted upon their original release was a factor, as well as neither having a hit single. The other individual releases other than BLACK MAGIC all had at least one hit.

There must have been some interest in getting Vandellas cds out, as HEAT WAVE and DANCE PARTY were issued on cd both individually and on 2fers. And COME AND GET THESE MEMORIES was one of the releases in the Motown Master Series. Maybe their sales weren't profitable enough to release more.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    RIDIN' HIGH was only released on cd as part of the 2fer with SUGAR AND SPICE.

GREATEST HITS [[1966) was released on cd, as part of the Motown Compact Classics series.

As to why some of their albums like SUGAR AND SPICE or NATURAL RESOURCES never got individual releases, maybe the fact that neither album charted upon their original release was a factor, as well as neither having a hit single. The other individual releases other than BLACK MAGIC all had at least one hit.

There must have been some interest in getting Vandellas cds out, as HEAT WAVE and DANCE PARTY were issued on cd both individually and on 2fers. And COME AND GET THESE MEMORIES was one of the releases in the Motown Master Series. Maybe their sales weren't profitable enough to release more.
    A good resume, Reece. We are on the same page. :-) You are right .... surely sales played a part. As they always say, "Follow the money!!!!"

Had it not been for the U.K. twofers [[they also had some bonus tracks), look what a gap we'd have in our collections!!!!

RIDIN' HIGH not being released as an individual CD is the one that really puzzles me.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 07-16-2017 at 10:28 PM.

A good resume, Reece. We are on the same page. :-) You are right .... surely sales played a part. As they always say, "Follow the money!!!!"

Had it not been for the U.K. twofers [[they also had some bonus tracks), look what a gap we'd have in our collections!!!!

RIDIN' HIGH not being released as an individual CD is the one that really puzzles me.
    RIDIN' HIGH would seem to be a good candidate for a reissue, considering it had two hit singles. I was glad that some of its tracks were included on the Vandellas ORIGINAL MOTOWN CLASSICS collection released on Pair.

To be sure, it was a very happy day when I walked into Tower Records on my dinner break and found both WATCHOUT! and BLACK MAGIC on cd. That was a great time. Every time I went there, it seemed Motown had released something rare, such as PLAYBOY by the Marvelettes or MEET THE SUPREMES.

By the way, there were a couple of large batches of Motown reissues in Japan a year or two back. Then they stopped. Does anybody have any information about this?

I Would love to see ALL of their albums get EXPANDED EDITION especially MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS LIVE!!!

Do you all know the unoffical Supremes/Diana Ross Expanded Editions??
    I know that the complete Martha and the Vandellas albums are in planning to be released as Expanded Editions. Unofficial, but all of you who knows the great Supremes/Diana editions, knows the the quality is and will be superb!!!!

And speaking of Martha & Co., here's a piece on the Black Magic album from the Classic Motown site.

http://classic.motown.com/story/blac...T_RID=84790200

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    And speaking of Martha & Co., here's a piece on the Black Magic album from the Classic Motown site.

http://classic.motown.com/story/blac...T_RID=84790200
    Fantastic article, thanks for sharing Eddie. My vote for fave song goes to the deeelightful "Bless You"...!

Hey everyone, I just ordered Expanded Editions of the two classic
    MARTHA REEVES & THE VANDELLAS Natural Resources and Black Magic from Germany. I know they will be as fabulous as the ones by THE SUPREMES.

Tell us more about what you mean by "expanded" or please direct us to where we can see for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Tell us more about what you mean by "expanded" or please direct us to where we can see for ourselves.
    It's from the seller who sells the DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES imports from Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWNLYNDA View Post
    It's from the seller who sells the DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES imports from Germany.
    Yes. And he does such a beautiful job.

Here are some pictures of these unofficial releases...

Name:  IMG_4980.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  92.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4981.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  82.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4982.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_4983.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  95.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_4985.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  86.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_4986.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  84.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4987.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  95.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4988.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  94.7 KB

Black Magic expanded edition song 17- Ain't That Good Stuff.
    Is that the same song as Ain't My Stuff Good Enough?

Does anyone know if Martha Reeves and the Vandellas Farewell Cobo Hall concert sellout? Thanks!

These look just Awesome. I can't wait to mine arrive. Yes the Farewell Concert at Cobo Hall fom 1971 was a sellout but it was not advertised as Farewell or Martha going solo it was a concert that featured The Temptations and the Undisputed Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWNLYNDA View Post
    These look just Awesome. I can't wait to mine arrive. Yes the Farewell Concert at Cobo Hall fom 1971 was a sellout but it was not advertised as Farewell or Martha going solo it was a concert that featured The Temptations and the Undisputed Truth.
    Their farewell concert was December 1972 and DAVID Ruffin was the surprise guest

[QUOT
    E=blackguy69;407078]Their farewell concert was December 1972 and DAVID Ruffin was the surprise guest[/QUOTE
    I was there and It was 1971 for sure, Their opening number was I Just Want To Celebrate and they did Bless You. Lois was a member of QUIET ELEGANCE in December 1972. When Black Magic came out the group was already broke up.

You have your dates wrong. December 31, 1972 not 71. Martha and the vandellas did perform with the temptations in November 1971 in Milwaukee

I do see the temptations performing at Conor hall December 26, 1971

I need to correct myself, Martha and the vandellas performed with the temptations on December 10, 1971 in Milwaukee

I have another question about Martha and The Vandellas: I know they recorded a few tracks for Ian Levine's Motorcity label, including "Step Into My Shoes" and "Angel In Disguise." There was also a Motorcity version of "Heatwave," as well as a couple of Vandellas songs without Martha [["Running and Hiding" and "Not Gonna Be Ready"). Martha and GC Cameron covered "You're All I Need To Get By" for Motorcity. Were there other Martha and Vandellas tracks at Motorcity? Was there ever a Motorcity album or CD on the group?

I know some folks absolutely hate the Motorcity recordings, but a few of them were quite good. I really love "Step Into My Shoes."

Lois Reeves also cut a couple of solos [[that I know of) for Motorcity - "Patience Is A Virtue" and "Sweet Temptation."

Here is the 45 and 12" single cover to "Step Into My Shoes."Name:  R-1318343-1301666887.jpeg.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  12.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    I have another question about Martha and The Vandellas: I know they recorded a few tracks for Ian Levine's Motorcity label, including "Step Into My Shoes" and "Angel In Disguise." There was also a Motorcity version of "Heatwave," as well as a couple of Vandellas songs without Martha [["Running and Hiding" and "Not Gonna Be Ready"). Martha and GC Cameron covered "You're All I Need To Get By" for Motorcity. Were there other Martha and Vandellas tracks at Motorcity? Was there ever a Motorcity album or CD on the group?

I know some folks absolutely hate the Motorcity recordings, but a few of them were quite good. I really love "Step Into My Shoes."
    Martha also had the solo recording "NUMBER ONE" on Motorcity.

I don't think there was ever an entire Martha and the Vandellas Motorcity album. They probably didn't record enough tracks for one. Since full-length cds of Motorcity material by acts like Marvelettes, Bettye Lavette, Kim Weston, and others have been released, I would think that one would have been released on the Vandellas as well if it was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I do see the temptations performing at Conor hall December 26, 1971
    You are absolutely correct that was the night. I still have my ticket stub somewhere.

Is anyone going to purchase these Expanded Editions, so we can get MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS LIVE!!! Expanded Edition with both the MONO and STEREO versions and other great ones from them?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    The seller has listed them on ebay.