[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Extended Versions on YouTube

Have any of you listened to the numerous extended versions of Motown songs on YouTube? There are some really good ones out there. Whoever creates these longer versions is very talented.

I have downloaded 3 CD's full of Supremes extended versions, as well as a volume of the Four Tops and one of various other Motown artists. These songs are so enjoyable in the longer versions. I love hearing the voices and instruments, sometimes separately and often more clearly on these versions than on the ones that were released.

I love the Supremes' songs...

Makes me think there should be an official release called "Extensions," featuring elongated arrangements of these classic songs, though I know that will never happen.

I think you are referring to John Perrone's [[Mosogotam) extended versions. If so, these are some of the most brilliant, exquisite extended versions of Motown classics you will find. If you haven't found Up the Ladder to the Roof by the Supremes, search for it now. It is unparalleled. Close behind that is John's version of Stoned Love. But he does such great extended versions on everything. I love his version of In My Lonely Room, I'm Ready for Love, Jimmy Mack, Standing in the Shadows of Love, Ain't Too Proud to Beg and on and on and on... I hope he keeps uploading these. I wouldn't rule out and Extensions CD or Digital Release. He knows Andy and George quite well.

John's extended versions are brilliant. I've also done some of my own Motown extensions and reworkings, of which I've shared Youtube links on here since I joined the board a few months ago. It's been a while since I've created anything new, but my life has gotten so busy that I simply don't have time at the moment. But I will definitely work on more when I get some time to be creative.

Here's a link to my Motown stuff if you're interested in checking it out:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0VgLdRY8nxPcuS

I would definitely purchase a release of Motown extended versions if it ever was created. The amazing creativity of others in making them is absolutely wonderful. For me, I mix only as a hobby and for the sheer love and respect of the music and the guys and gals who made the originals what they were.
    Last edited by DJMoch; 07-13-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    John's extended versions are brilliant. I've also done some of my own Motown extensions and reworkings, of which I've shared Youtube links on here since I joined the board a few months ago. It's been a while since I've created anything new, but my life has gotten so busy that I simply don't have time at the moment. But I will definitely work on more when I get some time to be creative.
    Thanks for the link to the playlist. My previous urging you to "post more" still holds! Your versions are different to John's and I enjoy them very much.

Hi guys, I recently downloaded some of john's Motown remixes and made albums out them. Firstly, I am loving them, it's like falling in love with the songs all over again. However, and this is not to put john down at all, I found some of his extended versions had some weird things going on in them.

Almost like... lingering vocals where they shouldn't be? I do understand and appreciate the skill required in order to create these, but I really couldn't help noticing and feeling put off by it. Can anyone else hear what I hear?

Take this brilliant remix... in the instrumental break about a minute and a half way through I can still hear Levi/the Tops singing ever so distantly in the background...

So yeah, I'm not sure what to make of it. Is it deliberate? Is it a limitation of remixing? Is it possible to get rid of?

Thanks
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-18-2018 at 11:13 AM.

DJMoch, I enjoy your work a lot. Thank you for the effort and for sharing it.

In my own experience mixing, it's hard [[if not downright impossible) to try to eliminate vocals and such from the original song. The way the music is produced and mixed, usually with echo and reverb, means that you pretty much can't remove a sound completely without trace. You usually end up with faint vocals or sounds that can still be heard, or other sonic anomalies that just don't always sound right.

The only real solution is rebuilding using the original multitracks. I've been fortunate to be able to find quite a few Motown ones [[as well as a whole bunch of non-Motown) so that's how I can create my extended versions that are actual remixes, rebuilding them from the ground up from the multitracks.

Though I've been creating mixes quite frequently, it's actually been a while since I've done anything Motown. I must find some time to do some new ones. It's been way too long since I've shared my stuff with this board.

DJ Moch

In my own experience mixing, it's hard [[if not downright impossible) to try to eliminate vocals and such from the original song. The way the music is produced and mixed, usually with echo and reverb, means that you pretty much can't remove a sound completely without trace. You usually end up with faint vocals or sounds that can still be heard, or other sonic anomalies that just don't always sound right.

The only real solution is rebuilding using the original multitracks. I've been fortunate to be able to find quite a few Motown ones [[as well as a whole bunch of non-Motown) so that's how I can create my extended versions that are actual remixes, rebuilding them from the ground up from the multitracks.

Though I've been creating mixes quite frequently, it's actually been a while since I've done anything Motown. I must find some time to do some new ones. It's been way too long since I've shared my stuff with this board.

DJ Moch
    Yes it is way too long DJ. Your mixes are very much enjoyed and appreciated on these forums.

DJ Moch
    Thanks for that emile. Much appreciated.

Also, your remixes look excellent and I need to check them out.

Your extended versions of Needle In A Haystack and All I Know About You are my personal favourites

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Your extended versions of Needle In A Haystack and All I Know About You are my personal favourites
    Now, see, my extension of All I Know is not one of my favourites for the reasons I just outlined. Since I was working from the original stereo mix, when I tried removing Diana's vocals they could still be slightly heard in the background. Also, the sound quality definitely suffers when you remove stuff from it via software. That was the reason I added the handclap overdub, to try and fill out the sound a bit more.