[REMOVE ADS]

Smile Motown photography archives

I was just re-reading the Andantes book, and looking at the photo of Carol & Hank Diamond. I remembered, all the unpublished pics that have appeared over the last few years on cds etc. HARRY, if your looking, what a GREAT idea for a best selling book.
    I remember Esther Gordy telling me, years ago, at the Motown Museum, that once a contract was signed with an artist, then a promotional pic was taken, usually by her sister Loucye, or sometimes Gwen. and International talent management ect was added to the prints.
    This is the first pic I have ever seen of this couple. There are plenty Motown artists I have NEVER seen pictures of.
    I think a book from the MOTOWN PHOTO archives would be HUGE.....what say you guys..I would be first in line to buy,,comments Please..Paulo XXXX

Paulo

One was done in France not so long ago. Did you buy that one?

http://www.amazon.fr/Motown-Soul-Gla...5824791&sr=1-1

And what about the gold and black Motown book WITH A FOREWORD by Elvis Mitchell?

I've got this UK one. It's a classy book, with lots of pix I had never seen before. It's officially Motown-approved, but the text isn't too cloyingly 'corporate'.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I've got this UK one. It's a classy book, with lots of pix I had never seen before. It's officially Motown-approved, but the text isn't too cloyingly 'corporate'.
    The UK book while slightly different is great!!!

Never knew about the French book....Thanks. Will have to track that down. I do have the Motown Album book, which is great, but I was thinking about a book for the fans full of pics of the more obscure acts. Just a thought. Thanks..Paulo xxx

Paulo

Get the French book then!

That link is straight to amazon.fr where I think it includes postage.

Thanks! will do...Paulo

uptight Guest
    I wish I could get all of these at once. Does anyone know if the new book/CD set of Marvin Gaye's The Master is any good? It's an updated UK version of the CD box set from the mid 90s with pretty much the same track sequencing. But the book is a coffee-table-sized hardback book. I've seen it at my local record store, but the conflict is that I already have The Master box set! Yikes.

There were many old photographs left in the rubble of the demolished Donovan Building.

Marv we should have broken in and took that dang candy machine lol!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv we should have broken in and took that dang candy machine lol!
    I heard that! It would have been up on Ebay before the sun went down! LOL!!!!

Leaving the historical items and photos in that building is really a crime. It seems as thought there are only a few individuals who try to keep the legacy alive. Just look at the lack of a serious effort on Motown's 59th anniversary.

No one seemed to have the foresight to imagine a market forty years in the future...I can see Motown just dumping all those photos as they raced out of Detroit to keep up with Berrys dreams in the Sunny coast..

Simon

Not quite everyone!!! Some folk are not slow at coming forward. LOL

On ebay, it' s now possible to buy old Gladys Knight and Diana Ross cheques, Motown notepaper, envelopes. The acetates and recordings go for huge sums of money..as my bank statement will testify!

do you know John that whole story of how things end up on Ebay is one of the most fascinating things for me..theres a whole wonderful book there waiting to be told on how people obtain the stuff they sell..but no one ever opens up and talks about the topic..I remember when I was at EMI saving a tape that someone had thrown in the rubbish of Diana talking into a dictaphone about music..I Couldnt believe someone would throw it away so I took it home..Tracing where memborallia comes from reveals stories with in themselves..the one I want to know is who took the video master of "The Happening" from the Tonight show from the Motown vaults..as you know I research lost TV work..theres hundreds of people out there with clues to missing work and for most of them they would be surprised to discover whats missing..its like a jigsaw puzzle..

Hi Nomis and thanks for the information! I guess my point is when considering the impact of Motown, especially from the socio perspective, Motown just seems to be ignored and under appreciated. The artists, song writers, and producers worked their butts off to give us great music. Anyway, I will be flying into Detroit today and hopefull the "Motown Store" is still in the airport. That store makes my day when I hear the music! I am in just for a hockey game then fly back out, so won't be able to visit the Museum darn it!!!
    Jon

Ignored ? heavens no..when The Motown Family came together for Michaels funeral the whole world stopped..when Berry spoke that day the whole world listened..
    ..The impact of Motown is just begining my friend..maybe in a different way than we envisioned..its much,much more than selling cds...its the fabric of our culture so interwoven with Race,Gender,Pride and work ethic..
    When Diana said "Motown is Forever.."its the truest words she ever uttered..people may not know Motown as a tangible name but the songs have brought more lovers,friends and family together over the years than any of us can comprehend..
    God was being clever and testing us..he gave us a church called Motown and more people have rejoiced in its magic than there are stars in the sky...
    this is only the begining my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Nomis and thanks for the information! I guess my point is when considering the impact of Motown, especially from the socio perspective, Motown just seems to be ignored and under appreciated. The artists, song writers, and producers worked their butts off to give us great music. Anyway, I will be flying into Detroit today and hopefull the "Motown Store" is still in the airport. That store makes my day when I hear the music! I am in just for a hockey game then fly back out, so won't be able to visit the Museum darn it!!!
    Jon
    Yes the store is still there.

And so glad I started this thread. Got people talking about all sorts of things! Cant believe all that stuff was dumped at the Donovan Building though. Very sad.. Tks boyfromxtown..have ordered book.Many tks..cant wait..Paulo xxx

Simon

Lost TV shows story Number 2 - TCB.

London Weekend had a copy, and had a track listing [[ I have the copy). Tape sent to be transferred onto some TV control machine.

Tape not returned and tape box still empty..so it got chucked out...

Boyf salvages track list for me!

Paulo

You are goona love the book. Tell me when you spot THE amazing picture of the Velvelettes.

Oh U XXXX! teasing me like this! Amazon tell me extra 2 days delivery. Must be because from France? Thank you so SO much for telling me about this book. I am an in your gratitude forever..Just want the book NOW..ha ha...be patient Paulo, be patient..XXXX

John,
    I assume that you're talking about the photo on page 117- the one with Sandra & Annette [[but no Cal) if my eyes aren't deceiving me.

I think Cal's face is obscured from view in that shot. There's another great picture on page 137....in fact all the pictures on the Velvelettes are great.

John,
    I think you mean page 139- not 137. The photo looked familiar- then I realized why.
    A different shot from the same photo-session [[taken from the opposite angle) was included in TCMS 1965. [[Poor Sandy... I think that the sun was in her eyes- and she must have not wanted to disturb the magic of the moment by asking the photographer to delay the photo-session. What a real trooper she must have been!)

PJ

I put the book away now but I can rely on you being right....! HAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    I wish I could get all of these at once. Does anyone know if the new book/CD set of Marvin Gaye's The Master is any good? It's an updated UK version of the CD box set from the mid 90s with pretty much the same track sequencing. But the book is a coffee-table-sized hardback book. I've seen it at my local record store, but the conflict is that I already have The Master box set! Yikes.
    I have the UK coffee table version of the Stevie Wonder box-set. I think it's similar to the Marvin Gaye coffee table book and box-set. It's pretty nice. I was able to find it for $35 online, which was a major steal, considering it also came with 4 CD's.