[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Accoustics

Accoustics

Rapidly approaching my three score and ten now, and inspired by some of the posts on this forum, i've been reminiscing about my love of motown.
    I recall my old Dansette autochanger, and the clunk as the 45 dropped onto the playing deck. With that in mind it got me thinking about the best places I had heard motown tracks, along the lines of BG's" if it doesn't sound great on a car radio then it won't be a hit"
    Around 1967 I had a two part daily commute, with a 25 minute interval, a time which I spent in a small rundown [[clean) cafe. Now indulge me while I describe it. It was about 25 feet deep by about 15 feet wide the frontage consisted of a half glazed door, and the remainder was a complete pane of glass save for 2 feet at the bottom. It must have been a hundred years old, the floor was like walking across a firm mattress the walls were covered in that at the time fashionable pegboard, and the ceiling was plasterboard/sheetrock? All was painted [[monthly) in sky blue and pale yellow distemper, a porous precursor to vinyl emulsion. On the counter was a water heater/Boiler which was frequently refilled using a 2 gallon bucket, each time the lid was opened, a cloud of steam rose up and hung a few inches just below the entire ceiling. the furniture was that typically sixties formica table tops and vinyl cushioned steel tubuler chairs. I think all of the above added to the accoustics
    Now to the point, the juke box, a big heavy bow fronted Rock Ola I think, sat back to the window facing into the cafe tilted slightly downward. I only recall it having three motown singles which just filled my allotted time, and I always played them, they were the 4Tops "you can't be happy until you love some one" the 4 tops "Mame" and the Temptations "I could never Love another etc"
    Now, I had these singles at home, but they never sounded anywhere near as good on my trusty Dansette, as they did in that Cafe.
    I think if motown had re-engineered some tracks in this cafe they would have been even bigger hits
    Anyone else got a favourite place and or story

Ahh, great story, Richy. Thanks for sharing.

The old jukeboxes had AGC Automatic Gain Control which basically boosted the level AND the bass. They were terrific for "that" sound that you liked!