[REMOVE ADS]

On my daddy's knee

Ok,lets go waaaaaaaaaaaaay back[hehe]now the question is what was the first song that you as a child actually liked from your parents collection? For me it was-open the door richard..remember the question is the first song that you liked-not heard.

"The Twelfth Of Never" by Johnny Mathis. My Mom was a major Mathis fan when I was kid. I especially liked this song and his version of "Misty".

"Lonely Teardrops" by Jackie Wilson and Sweet Sixteen by B.B. King.

My parents didn't have no records but I remember being transported every time I heard "What I'd Say" on our old radio, especially during the part with the backing singers' response. I was seven then...
    Last edited by phil; 07-04-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    My parents didn't have no records but I remember being transported every time I heard "What I'd Say" on your old radio, especially during the part with the backing singers' response. I was seven then...
    That's one of the first songs I associate with my Uncle John. He use to play that record back then.

Gladys & The Pips' "Midnight Train to Georgia." Gladys was my dad's eternal girl...after Mom, of course.

My sister was the first person in our house to own a record player. The first record she bought that made a real impression on me was "Ma He's Making Eyes At Me" by the Johnny Otis Show in 1957 when I was 9.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  21.1 KB
    My father had a lot of R&B 78s. I can't remember which single song I liked best first. I liked "Caldonia", Saturday Night Fish Fry", "Minnie The Moocher", "Good, Good Whiskey", "The Honeydripper", "Take The "A" Train", and many more of the early and late '40s and early '50s R&B Big Band and City Blues. Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Louis Jordan, Cab Calloway, Bulmoose Jackson, Wynonie Harris, Ruth Brown, T-Bone Walker, Amos Milburn, The Ravens, Delta Rhythm Boys, Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, King Cole Trio, The Four Tunes, The Three Blazers, Charles Brown. Too many to count. My father had a great collection. His favourite artist was Louis Jordan.