[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    One non single that is classic is Summertime.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    That's to easy LOL
    When you have a complicated international carrer like Diana, or Cher, even Donna Summer, the hits are not necessarily the same, depending on where you are. In continental Europe, Mountain, Touch me in the morning, I'm still waiting are just important for us, the Diana's fans, but they are unheard on radio.
    In France for exemple, even if she had a few hits on the charts, the only song that is every day on the radio is Upside down, a major major hit.
    Muscles, Chain Reaction and All of you are forgotten, but it seems it's not the same elsewhere. That's why this ranking brings surprises.
    Easy, maybe. Lol But that's the distinction for me. At Motown Diana was tops. Sure, she was sharing the mountain on the charts with Aretha, Gladys, Natalie, Donna, and I love that there was room for them all. They were all hitting it big with monster hits. Each lady [[with the exception of Natalie and Donna who were newbies on the scene during the 70s) seemed to roll with the changes that R&B and pop music were going through from the time these women started in the 60s, while staying true to her artistry. [[Although I would add that Diana seemed to be the most consistent toward the end of the 70s. I think Aretha's disco period is underrated but definitely understand why her core audience might have been turned off. Diana's audience seems to have embraced her entry into every new phase of her 1970s-1980/81 period.) I just don't feel the same about her RCA years.

But as you point out, it's also important to recognize that Diana in the States and Diana overseas can sometimes be two different discussions. Where in the US her popularity seemed to wane at a point in time, her popularity overseas seems to have stayed consistent. Fans outside of the US appear to always stay hyped over the legends while here in the US we tend to let the light dim some on certain stars, particularly Black women singers. Sad but true.

I've always thought Diana Ross was acknowledged thoroughly and fully. I believe she thinks so as well - that is how she talks in concert when she makes comments.

None of the 60's and 70's stars are as popular as Drake, Bieber and Beyonce. Frank Sinatra wasn't as popular as the Supremes in the 1960s.

What has always seemed very odd to me is how a few people attack these role models and it seems even odder that they often attack role models from their own minority communities. It is almost like ingrained prejudice.

Now why would anyone do that?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love "Chain Reaction" Tom. Overseas the song was huge. Unfortunately over here it came and went very quickly, so while it should be that song that rates among the others in my last post, it just didn't happen. "Chain Reaction" is probably the most "80s" song she did at RCA. It should have been a massive hit here.
    Mmm-hmm, I certainly agree. A wonderful throwback to Motown of old. IMO "Chain Reaction" somehow sounds like it's from the 60s and the 80s simultaneously; it is pure Diana yet still sounds like a Bee Gees song. FABULOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I've always thought Diana Ross was acknowledged thoroughly and fully. I believe she thinks so as well - that is how she talks in concert when she makes comments.

None of the 60's and 70's stars are as popular as Drake, Bieber and Beyonce. Frank Sinatra wasn't as popular as the Supremes in the 1960s.

What has always seemed very odd to me is how a few people attack these role models and it seems even odder that they often attack role models from their own minority communities. It is almost like ingrained prejudice.

BINGO! Why? Jealousy? Pettiness? Lack of anything else going on in their lives? Your example of the progression of a star's popularity is spot-on as well -

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Mmm-hmm, I certainly agree. A wonderful throwback to Motown of old. IMO "Chain Reaction" somehow sounds like it's from the 60s and the 80s simultaneously; it is pure Diana yet still sounds like a Bee Gees song. FABULOUS!
    ... and every remix on the Funkytown Grooves reissue is also FAB!

That is why it flopped in America. No one here was that into "retro" here.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    CR is such a classic!
    Yes indeedy PNH, in fact in the UK it was a #1 smash. I loves it!

Chain Reaction was awesome but the US public was turned off by Ross at this point. Too many bad behaviors and books detailing these, too many lousy RCA records, and the loss of Motown glamour and elegance.

Ross recklessly jumped into extraordinarily deep waters by going to RCA, she sunk, and no one with huge credentials was willing to save her.

When you are making money for people, they stay, tolerate the horrible behavior, and keep their lips zipped. When the gravy train ends, they say "F-off," and that person is left all alone. Sadly, the gravy train ended, and everyone rushed to Whitney's gold mine. Ross has repeatedly said she feels forgotten.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 07-10-2017 at 08:23 PM.

... and every remix on the Funkytown Grooves reissue is also FAB!
    Oh, there are remixes of it? Wow. See, I don't know nearly enough about Diana's post-Motown career. I shall have to get into it.

Diana Ross is acknowledged as the legend and icon that she is. She'll be that long after her time on earth has passed. But she can go overseas and pack a huge arena without issue yet here she can't sell out a night at the Essence festival. That's not a knock on her, it's a knock on the public. In this country we've long been criticized for sitting our legends to the side as though they no longer have relevance. No one expects Diana Ross or any of her contemporaries to be as popular as the people you've named, just as those folks will not be what they are today 30 or 40 years from now. That's just the way things work.

Jobeterob, is this directed at me? Do you feel as though I've been attacking Diana Ross?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is why it flopped in America. No one here was that into "retro" here.
    That couldn't possibly be true, considering the number of huge hits during that time that had a very retro 60s feel to it. I'm not surprised that the song wasn't an R&B hit, but it makes no sense that it didn't catch on with pop audiences, stalling at 95 in 1985. Even given a new mix and re-released the following year the song only got as high as 66 and didn't even make it back onto the R&B chart at all.

Tom I wonder if the very obvious Bee Gees backing vocals was a turn off for audiences here in the States? I think maybe that was a mistake. As you say the song has a very 60s feel to it. Perhaps the public's attention would have been grabbed if the song had a Supremes type of backing sound. Maybe had Motown 25 not went left, Diana, Mary and Cindy could've had a hit with "Chain Reaction". That would have been something.

Just curious, other than the images from the video trying to project such, and a bit of tambourine, what Motown sound is CHAIN REACTION suggesting? What 60's Motown song does it bring to mind?
    I hear it more-so as disco , Giorgio meets Bee Gees. Of course by 1985 , disco and especially from the Bee Gees , was verboten in the USA , except in the clubs where this one was Top 10.

Mixing it , a song to do it with [[with speed adjusted) might be :

Oh, there are remixes of it? Wow. See, I don't know nearly enough about Diana's post-Motown career. I shall have to get into it.
    Do you have any streaming, such as Spotify?

Do you have any streaming, such as Spotify?
    No I don't, PNH, although I did try out Apple Music's free trial for three months. How 'bout you?

Tom I wonder if the very obvious Bee Gees backing vocals was a turn off for audiences here in the States? I think maybe that was a mistake. As you say the song has a very 60s feel to it. Perhaps the public's attention would have been grabbed if the song had a Supremes type of backing sound. Maybe had Motown 25 not went left, Diana, Mary and Cindy could've had a hit with "Chain Reaction". That would have been something.
    Mmm, interesting points RanRan. The Bee Gees were of course very popular in the US in the the late '70s... but perhaps after the 'death of disco' nonsense [[lol) they weren't as hot and even though they went into songwriting and producing other artists, maybe America still didn't like 'em. Especially by the mid-80s. Hmm, I don't know.

Now your last point -- wow, that would have been interesting!!!!

No I don't, PNH, although I did try out Apple Music's free trial for three months. How 'bout you?
    I love Spotify. $10 monthly here in the US and the catalog is deep deep deep. Gives a chance to listen to cd titles one would never buy -

Mmm, interesting points RanRan. The Bee Gees were of course very popular in the US in the the late '70s... but perhaps after the 'death of disco' nonsense [[lol) they weren't as hot and even though they went into songwriting and producing other artists, maybe America still didn't like 'em. Especially by the mid-80s. Hmm, I don't know.

Now your last point -- wow, that would have been interesting!!!!
    ... Mary woulda sunk that, too ...

Diana Ross is acknowledged as the legend and icon that she is. She'll be that long after her time on earth has passed. But she can go overseas and pack a huge arena without issue yet here she can't sell out a night at the Essence festival. That's not a knock on her, it's a knock on the public. In this country we've long been criticized for sitting our legends to the side as though they no longer have relevance. No one expects Diana Ross or any of her contemporaries to be as popular as the people you've named, just as those folks will not be what they are today 30 or 40 years from now. That's just the way things work.

No heavens no

Jobeterob, is this directed at me? Do you feel as though I've been attacking Diana Ross?
    No heavens no

You don't attack her ever that I know of

No heavens no

... must be one of my 'ignores'. Anyhoo, I also love "Summertime". On the RHRAB tv special I though it was a snooze [[and still think it was not a good song for a special) but I love it on the LP; Ross sings it beautifully.

No heavens no

Oh okay, I was confused for a moment. Thanks for clearing it up!

If Motown had been interested and the women had got along, by about 1989, Diana had taken some years off to have children - and she wasn't the Top Artist in the World anymore - and maybe she then could have been interested in a one off recording with the Supremes.

It might have stimulated interested.

And by then, Mary and Cindy both knew and realized they were going to struggle to have a career that wasn't based on their time with the Supremes and knew they wouldn't have recording contracts - so it would have been a great opportunity for them.

If Motown had been interested and the women had got along, by about 1989, Diana had taken some years off to have children - and she wasn't the Top Artist in the World anymore - and maybe she then could have been interested in a one off recording with the Supremes.

It might have stimulated interested.

And by then, Mary and Cindy both knew and realized they were going to struggle to have a career that wasn't based on their time with the Supremes and knew they wouldn't have recording contracts - so it would have been a great opportunity for them.
    To your point, I figure there were various points post Motown 25- if things had gone well- that the Supremes with Diana Ross could have reunited, including 1989. Michael Jackson walked away from Motown 25 the highlight of the evening. The Supremes reunion was the headline even before the show started. They were closing the show. I think the public's interest in them getting back together was strong. Had it gone well and the two ladies behaved [[Cindy always the doll) I would like to think [[wishful or not) that a Supremes project could have commenced within the next two or three years. With a song like "Chain Reaction" I think they could have made the song a massive hit. Radio would have played it just because it was the Supremes.

I mostly agree with what you say.

Motown 25 could have been a launch pad; instead it ended any possibility for a long time......lol, like was it 18 years.

I think it would have had to be a couple years after Motown 25 - because Diana was too big an artist at that time. And she may have been in her self described "big headed" time. And then there was the having babies time.

But subsequent to that - it could have been a success.

And maybe RTL could have been a success and it could have been done then; but the prices were probably too high no matter what. And maybe that was just a little bit late in the day to be really popular again.