[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    We have to remember that Diana Ross is not interested in numbers at all.

She does NOT offer herself to do any kind of promotion for her shows in the media.

She is a 73 years old lady, extremely accomplished in her personal and professional life. She does not want the stress or the demand of a high-voltage show business career at this stage of her life. So, why Ross's detractors are acting as if she is interested in doing the same numbers she did in her 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's?

It's pretty clear she's not interested.

If she wanted to fill larger venues, she certainly could. She would hire a super touring agent with great strategies, do some promotion for her shows on TV, and certainly have even better numbers than she already has. In Europe, then, it would be an overwhelming success ...

Now, why this?

Why wear herself out, work hard this way?

Any minimally intelligent person realizes that Diana's values ​​have changed in the last decade and that she does not need the money or the stress. She is NOT at all interested in the media or selling millions and millions. This phase has passed.

She just wants to sing and to do low profile work. Still, she can do excellent numbers for an artist of her age. Her shows, selling out or not, are doing still quite good business.

She can afford to schedule a number of shows, sell them, make good money, and not give a single interview or wiggle a single finger to promote them. If this is not prestige and success, I do not know what you consider success.

I just want to see what the Ross-detractors will be doing at 73 years old. Certainly Diana has a more interesting and rich life and does not need to spend her days humiliating and offending people cowardly and anonymously over the internet.

The more these bastards keep insisting that Diana's career is a failure, the more it becomes apparent their level of instability and obsession with her.

And that intolerable member of this forum that I'd rather not mention the name keeps desperately wanting our attention and posting on Diana's threads. Get a life. Or, even better, go seek counseling.
    Great post my friend, and you are much closer to the truth than you may possibly think on many of your observations. In fact you are spot on, and i should know. Much respect due.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    It's only an opinion [[no matter how crappy and petty it is) any negative opinions about Ms. Ross won't change how you feel about her, so why let it bother you.
    Now it's your turn to take the words right out of my mouth! Diana Ross doesn't need defending. Not that any given member can't give their opinion about anything that has been said. I've certainly added my two cents in rebuttal to comments made about both Diana and Mary. But I've never had to bring Mary down to make any point about Diana, nor have I ever had to bring Diana down to make a point about Mary. It's unnecessary and it certainly makes no sense why these two women cause such nastiness in others on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Great post my friend, and you are much closer to the truth than you may possibly think on many of your observations. In fact you are spot on, and i should know. Much respect due.

Thank you Bluebrock.

It means a lot, especially coming from you.

I really appreciate all your sensitive insights, commentaries and memories.

Being a Brazilian, I fell in love with Diana in the 90's when I was still a teenager. So I have always observed the controversies with relative distance.

And it bothers me that she does not get the respect she deserves in U.S.

She did so much for Motown, women, blacks, minorities in general.

It bothers me that everyone always mentions the fact that in her youth she was highly self-centered, but they forget to add how hard she worked for everyone. The level of pressure and stress on her was absurd and far greater than it was on other artists. Nobody ever mentions that.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 07-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.

We have to remember that Diana Ross is not interested in numbers at all.

She does NOT offer herself to do any kind of promotion for her shows in the media.

She is a 73 years old lady, extremely accomplished in her personal and professional life. She does not want the stress or the demand of a high-voltage show business career at this stage of her life. So, why Ross's detractors are acting as if she is interested in doing the same numbers she did in her 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's?

It's pretty clear she's not interested.

If she wanted to fill larger venues, she certainly could. She would hire a super touring agent with great strategies, do some promotion for her shows on TV, and certainly have even better numbers than she already has. In Europe, then, it would be an overwhelming success ...

Now, why this?

Why wear herself out, work hard this way?

Any minimally intelligent person realizes that Diana's values ​​have changed in the last decade and that she does not need the money or the stress. She is NOT at all interested in the media or selling millions and millions. This phase has passed.

She just wants to sing and to do low profile work. Still, she can do excellent numbers for an artist of her age. Her shows, selling out or not, are doing still quite good business.

She can afford to schedule a number of shows, sell them, make good money, and not give a single interview or wiggle a single finger to promote them. If this is not prestige and success, I do not know what you consider success.

I just want to see what the Ross-detractors will be doing at 73 years old. Certainly Diana has a more interesting and rich life and does not need to spend her days humiliating and offending people cowardly and anonymously over the internet.

The more these bastards keep insisting that Diana's career is a failure, the more it becomes apparent their level of instability and obsession with her.

And that intolerable member of this forum that I'd rather not mention the name keeps desperately wanting our attention and posting on Diana's threads. Get a life. Or, even better, go seek counseling.
    OUCH !!!
    You hit on some very valid points which makes me wonder if we know each other. I am listening to a new TLC song [[I hope its has been released by now) called "Haters" which always makes me put everything back in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    OUCH !!!
    You hit on some very valid points which makes me wonder if we know each other. I am listening to a new TLC song [[I hope its has been released by now) called "Haters" which always makes me put everything back in perspective.
    Thank you Captainjames!

Btw, I LOVE TLC.

Thank you Bluebrock.

It means a lot, especially coming from you.

I really appreciate all your sensitive insights, commentaries and memories.

Being a Brazilian, I fell in love with Diana in the 90's when I was still a teenager. So I have always observed the controversies with relative distance.

It bothers me that everyone always mentions the fact that in her youth she was highly self-centered, but they forget to add how hard she worked for everyone. The level of pressure and stress on her was absurd and far greater than it was on other artists. Nobody ever mentions that.
    Indeed. And remember that there are always members here who are only too to talk about Diana in a positive manner! Did you indulge in the Funkytowne Grooves reissues of the RCA years? I'd love to talk about those. Love 'em all. Best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Indeed. And remember that there are always members here who are only too to talk about Diana in a positive manner! Did you indulge in the Funkytowne Grooves reissues of the RCA years? I'd love to talk about those. Love 'em all. Best to you.
    Thank you PeaceNharmony,

I love those reissues too. I love 80's music, so, I have to say I love some of Diana's 80's tracks.

I understand that some of the 80's albums could have had stronger material and production, especially the first two she recorded for RCA, but I do like the '83, '84 and '87 ones A LOT. The '81 and '82 sets are weaker in comparison. The '85 one I like the songs, but dislike the vocal production. As for the re-releases, every one of them is great. I love the extended and instrumental versions of some of the tracks, and the "Fight for it" b-side finally remastered and in high digital quality. I adore that song.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 07-06-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Thank you PeaceNharmony,

I love those reissues too. I love 80's music, so, I have to say I love some of Diana's 80's tracks.

I understand that some of the 80's albums could have had stronger material and production, especially the first two she recorded for RCA, but I do like the '83, '84 and '87 ones A LOT. The '81 and '82 sets are weaker in comparison. The '85 one I like the songs, but dislike the vocal production. As for the re-releases, every one of them is great. I love the extended and instrumental versions of some of the tracks, and the "Fight for it" b-side finally remastered and in high digital quality. I adore that song.
    Hey Nitro! Greetings to Brazil from New Jersey! I was on and off buying the RCA LPs during their initial releases so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the LPs when I bought the entire batch of FTG re-releases. I'll start a separate thread so we [[and hopefully others) can discuss maturely. Have you been able to see Diana live?

I think Diana gets the respect that she deserves in the US. The disrespect is from various folks apart of the general public, and to that end most of the female legends from Diana's era get hated on, especially the Black ones. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. But let that woman walk into a room full of folks born prior to 1990 and you'll see what kind of respect she garners.

I'll agree that it is annoying to read comments about this woman in her youth as if she was some anomaly. Being self centered as a teenage girl and young adult comes with the territory. So does being catty. Diana Ross wasn't any different from any other young lady her age. She also worked her ass off and we see the fruit of that labor in how she is regarded today by the people that matter.

Thank you PeaceNharmony,

Nitro I don't really care much for the first RCA album and the last RCA album. The ones in between run from okay to pretty good. The Red Hot album was a missed opportunity for Diana to do some killer material and IMO most of it falls flat. I only play "Selfish One" and "There Goes My Baby". She should not have been in control of her musical direction.

Have you been able to see Diana live?
    Unfortunately, no Peace'n'Harmony.

Diana visited my city, Rio de Janeiro, only two times.

The first one, in 1994, I was just a kid and more of a Michael Jackson's fan, but I remember she received a lot of media attention and was the chosen artist to inaugurate a very prestigious venue in the city: Metropolitan, on Barra da Tijuca. It was part of her Forever Diana Tour.

The Metropolitan, at the time, was the most sophisticated concert hall of the city and Diana Ross was chosen to inaugurate it.

She was seen as a very glamorous, beautiful and legendary superstar. Almost fairy-tale like.

The first date on Metropolitan was exclusive for VIP attendees [[celebrities, businessmen, entrepreneurs, artists). The second date was open for the general public and it sold out [[5,000 tickets, tables only). If it was standing-room, the Metropolitan could support 13,000 people.

I became really a fan a few years later, in 1997, when I saw the Take Me Higher video on a R&B program on MTV Brazil.

Then, Diana went back to Rio in 2013 at the very large HSBC Arena. But, for personal and professional reasons, it was a busy weekend for me and I wasn't able to go.

The concert was not promoted in mass media, I wasn't even aware of it until some days before, but Diana received good reviews and was treated very warmly by the public and the media.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 07-06-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Nitro I don't really care much for the first RCA album and the last RCA album. The ones in between run from okay to pretty good. The Red Hot album was a missed opportunity for Diana to do some killer material and IMO most of it falls flat. I only play "Selfish One" and "There Goes My Baby". She should not have been in control of her musical direction.
    Funny thing is that I love her doing pop songs like "Dirty Looks", "Stranger in Paradise", "Shine", "Pieces of Ice", "Love Will Make It Right", "Let's Go Up"... songs that Diana's fans in general are not very fond of [[with the possible exception of LGU).

I enjoy these particular songs and do think they are well suited for the 80's contemporary scene. They have great production and quality. And all of them aged very well.

"Shine" is probably one of Diana's most underrated pop-gems.

I love the atmosphere of "Pieces of Ice".

But, I recognize some of her stuff for RCA wasn't up to her standards, especially the first two albums [[with some exceptions, of course, as "Mirror, Mirror", "WDFFIL", the MJ-produced "Muscles").
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 07-06-2017 at 09:52 PM.

I think Diana gets the respect that she deserves in the US. The disrespect is from various folks apart of the general public, and to that end most of the female legends from Diana's era get hated on, especially the Black ones. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. But let that woman walk into a room full of folks born prior to 1990 and you'll see what kind of respect she garners.

I'll agree that it is annoying to read comments about this woman in her youth as if she was some anomaly. Being self centered as a teenage girl and young adult comes with the territory. So does being catty. Diana Ross wasn't any different from any other young lady her age. She also worked her ass off and we see the fruit of that labor in how she is regarded today by the people that matter.
    Agree with you RanRan.

Funny thing is that I love her doing pop songs like "Dirty Looks", "Stranger in Paradise", "Shine", "Pieces of Ice", "Love Will Make It Right", "Let's Go Up"... songs that Diana's fans in general are not very fond of [[with the possible exception of LGU).

I enjoy these particular songs and do think they are well suited for the 80's contemporary scene. They have great production and quality. And all of them aged very well.

"Shine" is probably one of Diana's most underrated pop-gems.

I love the atmosphere of "Pieces of Ice".

But, I recognize some of her stuff for RCA wasn't up to her standards, especially the first two albums [[with some exceptions, of course, as "Mirror, Mirror", "WDFFIL", the MJ-produced "Muscles").
    Yeah, "Shine" is okay, but it just isn't what I think she should have been doing at the time. I said in another thread some time ago that a lot of the material post 1983 was Diana trying to keep up with and attract the younger crowd and it just didn't work. She wasn't doing Diana anymore, the music was doing her. In contrast, her legendary contemporaries like Aretha, Gladys, Patti, even Natalie Cole were dropping big hits that everyone was digging and at the same time each lady was still herself. A few of Diana's 80s songs still stand up, I'll agree, but by and large that era of her career- hit wise- is almost laughable. She was holding her head above water on the strength of her legendary status alone, especially with Black radio, which was spinning her records even when pop radio seemed to forget her.

Interestingly, she didn't make much noise in the 90s but as I'm discovering her 90s material was by and large very good. The only problem seemed to be that she lacked that one song that explodes from each album. "Take Me Higher" was probably the best single of them with potential to go big, but I think it may have been too dance clubby for 1995. Had she dropped that one in 92 or 93 I think it would have been an easy top 10 hit.

Yeah, "Shine" is okay, but it just isn't what I think she should have been doing at the time. I said in another thread some time ago that a lot of the material post 1983 was Diana trying to keep up with and attract the younger crowd and it just didn't work. She wasn't doing Diana anymore, the music was doing her. In contrast, her legendary contemporaries like Aretha, Gladys, Patti, even Natalie Cole were dropping big hits that everyone was digging and at the same time each lady was still herself. A few of Diana's 80s songs still stand up, I'll agree, but by and large that era of her career- hit wise- is almost laughable. She was holding her head above water on the strength of her legendary status alone, especially with Black radio, which was spinning her records even when pop radio seemed to forget her.

Interestingly, she didn't make much noise in the 90s but as I'm discovering her 90s material was by and large very good. The only problem seemed to be that she lacked that one song that explodes from each album. "Take Me Higher" was probably the best single of them with potential to go big, but I think it may have been too dance clubby for 1995. Had she dropped that one in 92 or 93 I think it would have been an easy top 10 hit.
    Yes, it's the trap almost every pop stars falls into.
    In the 80's, I think she needed a producer like Quincy Jones to keep the "Diana" album momentum going.

She needed a "body of work" not only sporadic well-produced singles a.k.a "Muscles" or "Missing You".

She still had eight Top 10 singles only in the 80's - not a bad showing, but american radio lost interest in her after many irregular albums.

As for "Take Me Higher", I don't think it'd have made much difference. By 1992, radio wasn't interested anymore and she didn't have a manager like Roger Davies or a record music executive like Clive to make ends meet.

If "When You Tell Me..." didn't hit in 1992, it wasn't "TMH" that would do the trick. Unfortunately, 'cause her 90's albums are probably her most consistent ones.

It feels like a waste, 'cause in the late 80's and most of the 90's Diana still sounded and looked so young and fresh. She deserved more success in her homeland. But, again, if she really wanted that, she'd have to seek proper management.

More often than not, the music business is more about business than music, especially for veteran artists, unfortunately.

p.s. As for american radio debate, it happens with almost every diva after 40-45. Janet, Whitney, Mariah and many others have exactly the same problems Diana had after the mid-80's.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 07-06-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Hey Nitro! Greetings to Brazil from New Jersey! I was on and off buying the RCA LPs during their initial releases so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the LPs when I bought the entire batch of FTG re-releases. I'll start a separate thread so we [[and hopefully others) can discuss maturely. Have you been able to see Diana live?
    PeaceNHarmony, an RCA thread would be awesome [[if everyone behaves). This period of Diana's career is such a curiosity for me, I would love to hear differing opinions. I gauged albums differently at that time and was unaware that many fans disliked the RCA years. My own opinions of each LP have changed over the years, especially with additional knowledge of the struggles Diana was having at the time. There are many gems, some interesting experiments and missed opportunities. Let's discuss...

I don't think, Patti, Gladys, Dionne or Aretha had more hit records than Diana in the eighties. They may have hits after Diana last entry in the Top 40.
    Diana was a big touring act until about 1995.
    Outside of the US, the others were rare and still are.
    Tina Turner was the big come-back of this eighties, she was bigger than she was before.
    Last edited by Albator; 07-07-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Yes, it's the trap almost every pop stars falls into.
    In the 80's, I think she needed a producer like Quincy Jones to keep the "Diana" album momentum going.

She needed a "body of work" not only sporadic well-produced singles a.k.a "Muscles" or "Missing You".

She still had eight Top 10 singles only in the 80's - not a bad showing, but american radio lost interest in her after many irregular albums.

As for "Take Me Higher", I don't think it'd have made much difference. By 1992, radio wasn't interested anymore and she didn't have a manager like Roger Davies or a record music executive like Clive to make ends meet.

If "When You Tell Me..." didn't hit in 1992, it wasn't "TMH" that would do the trick. Unfortunately, 'cause her 90's albums are probably her most consistent ones.

It feels like a waste, 'cause in the late 80's and most of the 90's Diana still sounded and looked so young and fresh. She deserved more success in her homeland. But, again, if she really wanted that, she'd have to seek proper management.

More often than not, the music business is more about business than music, especially for veteran artists, unfortunately.

p.s. As for american radio debate, it happens with almost every diva after 40-45. Janet, Whitney, Mariah and many others have exactly the same problems Diana had after the mid-80's.
    A Quincy Jones album would have been PERFECT. He and Ashford and Simpson were the producers that seemed to get her in the studio and force her to take no prisoners with her vocals. What Quincy managed to get out of her on "The Wiz" she rarely did before. He would have been great for her in the 80s. I have some other producer ideas for her RCA albums, but I'll save those for the RCA thread...if anyone decides to create it.

Some folks like to put Diana's lack of success in the late 80s and the 90s on Mary Wilson's autobiography. I always call bullshit on that. No doubt Diana's reputation took a bit of a hit, as anyone's reputation would in a similar situation, but her lack of success and the public's waning attention was 90 percent just flat out not digging the music Diana was putting out there.

You mention "When You Tell Me", but IMO as beautiful as the song is, it's best hope was becoming a major adult contemporary hit. I don't hear anything about it that would have made either pop radio or r&b radio spin it like crazy. [[Surprisingly it did go top 40 r&b, but as I said in a previous post, she was posting those kinds of numbers on the strength of DIANA ROSS rather than anything else.) "Take Me Higher", on the other hand, was dance clubby enough for 1992 or 1993 to make it big on pop and r&b radio, like the stuff CeCe Peniston and Robin S were doing at the time. Diana could've still been squeezing out a hit here and there well into the 90s if she had an ear for choosing great singles.

Diana didn't seek proper management because she's a control freak who thinks she knows everything. Lol I think being controlled by Gordy all those years did a number on her. I hate the outcome but can't say I blame her.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I don't think, Patti, Gladys, Dionne or Aretha had more hit records than Diana in the eighties. They may have hits after Diana last entry in the Top 40.
    Diana was a big Touring act until about 1995. Outside of the US, the others wetransfer rare and drill are.
    Tina Turner was the big comeback, bigger than she was before.
    Not more, but bigger. It's like the 70s Supremes. What 70s female group had more hit singles than the Supremes that decade? None. But what 70s Supreme song is more famous than "Lady Marmalade", for example? None. What 70s Supreme song is played more than "Lady Marmalade"? None.

Patti was HUGE in the 80s and she was having pop hits. Aretha and Natalie too. And they were doing it staying true to themselves, while also moving with the times. Diana didn't do that. She moved with the times but was going after the wrong demographic and IMO losing herself. And I think in the end her 80s legacy suffers for it.

Okay gang. Enough of this senseless bickering regarding Diana Ross. The truth of the matter is she will never regain her once exalted spot on the hierarchy of stardom. And as the baby boomers age she will become less relevant. That is "show biz". Accept the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Okay gang. Enough of this senseless bickering regarding Diana Ross. The truth of the matter is she will never regain her once exalted spot on the hierarchy of stardom. And as the baby boomers age she will become less relevant. That is "show biz". Accept the fact.
    Everyone has moved past the negativity that first entered this thread. We're now on to debating "The RCA Years: What Happened?". Mr. Ralph you gotta keep up.

Understood, Ranran. Problem is hitting 75 yesterday. I'm never sure what I'm supposed to keep up on............

Not more, but bigger. It's like the 70s Supremes. What 70s female group had more hit singles than the Supremes that decade? None. But what 70s Supreme song is more famous than "Lady Marmalade", for example? None. What 70s Supreme song is played more than "Lady Marmalade"? None.

Patti was HUGE in the 80s and she was having pop hits. Aretha and Natalie too. And they were doing it staying true to themselves, while also moving with the times. Diana didn't do that. She moved with the times but was going after the wrong demographic and IMO losing herself. And I think in the end her 80s legacy suffers for it.
    All this can be very subjective but a compilation of Billboard top 50 ranking shows something else.

Diana Ross
    Upside down # 1
    I’m coming out # 5
    It’s my turn # 9
    Endless Love duet # 1
    WDFFIL # 7
    Mirror # 8
    WTB # 44
    Muscles # 10
    So close # 40
    Pieces of ice # 31
    All of you duet # 19
    Swept away # 19
    Missing you # 10

Aretha Franklin
    Love All the Hurt Away # 46
    Jump to it # 24
    Freeway of love # 3
    Who’s zooming who # 7
    Sisters are duet # 18
    Another night # 22
    Jumpin jack flash # 21
    Jimmy Lee # 28
    I knew you where waiting for me # 1
    Through the storm duet # 16
    Willing to forgive # 26
    A rose is still a rose # 26

Dionne Warwick
    No night so long # 23
    Friends in love duet # 38
    Heartbreaker # 10
    Take the short way home # 41
    How many time can we say goodbye duet # 27
    That’s what friends are for # 1
    Love power duet # 12

Patti Labelle
    If only you knew # 46
    New attitude # 17
    On my own duet # 1
    Oh People # 26

Gladys Knight
    Landlord # 46
    Love overboard # 13
    That’s what friends are for # 1

Diana had 13 single in the top 50, among them, 10 top 20, 8 top 10, 3 top 5, 2 top 1.

Aretha had 12 top 50, among them 5 top 20, 3 top 10 and one top 1.

Dionne had 7 top 50, 3 top 20 and one top 1

Glady, only 3 top 50

Patty Labelle 4 top 50.

What may be remarquable is that Diana's commercial appeal disappeared after 1984, but it can't be say that others did better.
    If you check the touring schedule it's even more stunning. Maybe only Aretha maintained a strong appeal.
    And if you take foreign sales into the picture, Diana is even more bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Understood, Ranran. Problem is hitting 75 yesterday. I'm never sure what I'm supposed to keep up on............
    Happy Birthday Ralph. You just keep on keepin' on and don't worry about anything!

Albator, Diana at Motown, she was the biggest thing happening. It's her post Motown career that's in question. And again, even though she had some hits, most of them do not stand up in the public's mind like the ladies you present above. And there's no questioning her concert draw appeal. We're speaking strictly music.

After Motown she never again had a number one song nor a number one, or close to it, album on the pop charts. Diana reached the top 10 on the r&b album charts three times at RCA. Not one time did she reach the pop chart top 10 during the same span. Even Patti Labelle managed to get a number one pop album during those years. What these things tell me is that despite Diana's vocal talent, despite her ability to put on a damn good show, her music material wasn't jiving with the public like her contemporaries. "New Attitude" may have only hit #17, but who didn't know that song? Who doesn't know it now? Which of Diana's RCA songs is iconic? "Missing You" maybe. And that's a soft maybe.

Albator, Diana at Motown, she was the biggest thing happening. It's her post Motown career that's in question. And again, even though she had some hits, most of them do not stand up in the public's mind like the ladies you present above. And there's no questioning her concert draw appeal. We're speaking strictly music.

After Motown she never again had a number one song nor a number one, or close to it, album on the pop charts. Diana reached the top 10 on the r&b album charts three times at RCA. Not one time did she reach the pop chart top 10 during the same span. Even Patti Labelle managed to get a number one pop album during those years. What these things tell me is that despite Diana's vocal talent, despite her ability to put on a damn good show, her music material wasn't jiving with the public like her contemporaries. "New Attitude" may have only hit #17, but who didn't know that song? Who doesn't know it now? Which of Diana's RCA songs is iconic? "Missing You" maybe. And that's a soft maybe.
    I disagree. Everybody seemes to know Missing You. Everyone that I talk to that are really not fans know and love Missing you. And let's be real Gladys Knight and the Pips were not having hits in the 80s. And I didn't know Patti had a number one pop album? Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I disagree. Everybody seemes to know Missing You. Everyone that I talk to that are really not fans know and love Missing you. And let's be real Gladys Knight and the Pips were not having hits in the 80s. And I didn't know Patti had a number one pop album? Which one?
    Gladys Knight and the Pips had two number one r&b hits to Diana's one during that time frame, and IMO they were picking songs that kept in line with their "brand" while remaining fresh, which is the crux of my issue with Ross at the time.

Patti's "Winner In You" album hit number one r&b and pop in 1986 or 1987. "Missing You" isn't even in the same league of iconic songs as "New Attitude". I love "Missing You", I tolerate "New Attitude", but there's no way I put money on "Missing You" in a general population survey. No way.

I think Patti's 'Winner' was a #1 LP on the strength of 'On My Own', but realistically she never had a real hit, or 'career song' again. But, 'New Attitude' a lasting 'hit'? I don't think so. But that could be a regional thing.

Are you kidding me? Gladys Knight and the Pips were having hits in the 80s and no not everyone remembers the song "Missing You" because it is never played anywhere, anymore even though it is 33 years old.

Gladys Knight & the Pips 80s Hits:
    1980 - "Landlord"
    1980 - "Taste of Bitter Love"
    1981 - "I Will Fight"
    1983 - "Save the Overtime [[For Me)"
    1983 - "You're Number One [[In My Book)"
    1987 - "Love Overboard"
    1987 - "Lovin' on Next to Nothin'"

Gladys Knight and the Pips had two number one r&b hits to Diana's one during that time frame, and IMO they were picking songs that kept in line with their "brand" while remaining fresh, which is the crux of my issue with Ross at the time.

Patti's "Winner In You" album hit number one r&b and pop in 1986 or 1987. "Missing You" isn't even in the same league of iconic songs as "New Attitude". I love "Missing You", I tolerate "New Attitude", but there's no way I put money on "Missing You" in a general population survey. No way.
    Exactly regarding Gladys Knight & the Pips hits. This is why
    I ask people that post misinformation on here their age. I rather believe that they just don't know because of their age rather than blatantly lying to make Diana Ross look better compared to other artists.

You are wrong! Hardly anyone under the age of 40 would know that song. [[If you were 7 years old at the time that song was out, you would now be 40 years old). You are talking about a song that wasn't even a number one record and I doubt that it remained at #10 for more than a week. Ask some one over 50 years old to name a "Diana Ross" song, they are going to name a Supremes song like "Baby Love" They will never name "Missing You".

I think Patti's 'Winner' was a #1 LP on the strength of 'On My Own', but realistically she never had a real hit, or 'career song' again. But, 'New Attitude' a lasting 'hit'? I don't think so. But that could be a regional thing.
    That is not true! Patti LaBelle tore up the late 80s and early 90s

"If You Asked Me To" was a fine song for example and a Top 10 R&B hit in 1989. You want to tell us what great music Diana
    Ross was releasing in 1989? Yeah, that's right. You guys always try to downplay the accomplishments of all other artists to try to make Diana Ross bigger. She was not. She is not now either! Believe it or not, there are people that would step over a dozen Diana Rosses to get to see Patti LaBelle, etc Don't even make me go there with Aretha or Chaka.

That's not a regional thing. I believe "New Attitude" was used in a television commercial that received a lot of play. Diana Ross does not even exist to people under the age of 45 and most over 50 believe she is either dead or retired.

When was the last time you heard "Missing You" anywhere in public? on the radio or on television? How are people suppose to know about a nearly 35 year old record that barely scrapped the Top 10? Name me 5 other Top 10 records from 1984 without having to research them. When you say things like you did, just remember that you are only referring to Diana Ross hard core fans and yourself. That is not a lot of people trust me.

People remember Michael Jackson's mega-hits
    Last edited by marv2; 07-07-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Well this has now devolved into the usual. I remain steadfast in my opinion: Diana Ross' RCA years does not stand up in comparison with her fellow divas during the same time span. This does not take away from her abilities in any way. The truth is that while she may not have been knocking people dead with her recorded music, she was still able to pack folks into STADIUMS to see and hear her sing it all. It was what it was. I'm out.

Well this has now devolved into the usual. I remain steadfast in my opinion: Diana Ross' RCA years does not stand up in comparison with her fellow divas during the same time span. This does not take away from her abilities in any way. The truth is that while she may not have been knocking people dead with her recorded music, she was still able to pack folks into STADIUMS to see and hear her sing it all. It was what it was. I'm out.
    Yeah, I am going to comment as it is my right to do so. I am not lying, so it should not devolve into anything. I do not like it when I see these guys dragging down artists that are favorites of others just to try elevate Diana Ross. You can have an opposing opinion. I do not worship this singer. In the 80s it was all about Anita Baker, Patti LaBelle, Sade, Evelyn King, Whitney Houston and Aretha to an extent. You had artists with a song like Jennifer Holliday's "And I Am Telling You" that blew everything away for a time in the 80s. Diana Ross was not a force on radio in the 80s in America [[at least not on Urban Radio) which is why her song "Chain Reaction" flopped big time and to this day most Americans have never even heard it.

Anita Baker had 4 number one albums in the 80s on the R&B Charts and 4 Top 5 albums during the decade. I can promise you that when anyone put on an Anita Baker album on in the 80s, no one was thinking about Diana Ross' music. Same thing in regards to Whitney Houston. These women along with Sade were selling millions of a single album compared to 100,000 -200,000 per Diana Ross album.

Well this has now devolved into the usual.
    Ah, RanRan, you took the words right out of my, erm, keyboard

8 posts within an hour from a person who dislike Miss Ross. Somebody need help.

Makes sense to me.

I think the difference is if you were in the U.K., Diana was knocking it out of the park while here in the states she got off to a good start but she couldn't maintain the hits. Musical taste had changed and her fellow divas followed suit

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Are you kidding me? Gladys Knight and the Pips were having hits in the 80s and no not everyone remembers the song "Missing You" because it is never played anywhere, anymore even though it is 33 years old.

Gladys Knight & the Pips 80s Hits:
    1980 - "Landlord"
    1980 - "Taste of Bitter Love"
    1981 - "I Will Fight"
    1983 - "Save the Overtime [[For Me)"
    1983 - "You're Number One [[In My Book)"
    1987 - "Love Overboard"
    1987 - "Lovin' on Next to Nothin'"
    I love Gladys Knight and the Pips. But none of the songs were big hits. None charted high on the pop charts. And Missing you was a billboard pop top ten hit. So stop trying to down play it. It was a bigger hit than all of the above Gladys hits and that's a fact!! I don't care if they play Missing You on the radio now or not It still was a bigger hit. And I'm sorry but I haven't heard any of those Gladys Knight and the pips songs on the radio in years !

And for the record. I am one of Gladys Knights biggest fans. I have followed her forever. Have all her albums and CDs. I am not trying to say anything negative about her. But it is plain silly so say she had more hits in the 8os than Diana Ross.

"A License to Kill" by Gladys was better than anything Diana Ross recorded in the whole decade of the 80s!

And for the record. I am one of Gladys Knights biggest fans. I have followed her forever. Have all her albums and CDs. I am not trying to say anything negative about her. But it is plain silly so say she had more hits in the 8os than Diana Ross.
    Diana 1st RCA album went platinum and the second LP went Gold. Also, there was a few Motown songs that she was still feeling the fairy dust from. Down the line came Chain Reaction but Swept Away, Missing You and WDFFIL were are well for the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It may well happen in 2019 or 2020. Watch this space folks.........
    Make it happen - that's an order Mister!

I'm sorry but I haven't heard any of those Gladys Knight and the pips songs on the radio in years !
    I never even heard them back in the 80s...

I love Gladys Knight and the Pips. But none of the songs were big hits. None charted high on the pop charts. And Missing you was a billboard pop top ten hit. So stop trying to down play it. It was a bigger hit than all of the above Gladys hits and that's a fact!! I don't care if they play Missing You on the radio now or not It still was a bigger hit. And I'm sorry but I haven't heard any of those Gladys Knight and the pips songs on the radio in years !
    Correct - good songs but other than STOFM and LO Gladys had mostly 'genre' hits at the time. But you know who we're dealing with here ...

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I never even heard them back in the 80s...
    True. I didn't either!!

Correct - good songs but other than STOFM and LO Gladys had mostly 'genre' hits at the time. But you know who we're dealing with here ...
    Yeah a Black man that listened to black radio in the 80s! "Genre" sounds like a cute racist way of saying "R&B"!