[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    2017 Essence Festival's

Attachment 13250
    O. M. G.
    How many performers can create an iconic, career-defining image like this gorgeous photograph after 50 years in the biz? Before this, perhaps Lena Horne.

When [[I hope it's the next one in 2019) Diana does finally take the stage at Glastonbury, she will receive a great ovation. She should cut out songs such as 'More today than yesterday' though and give the audience what they want which is the legendary hits - preferably more of the up-tempo ones.

When Nile Rodgers & Chic perform Upside Down and Coming Out [[as they did in 2013 and this year) it brings the house down.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    When [[I hope it's the next one in 2019) Diana does finally take the stage at Glastonbury, she will receive a great ovation. She should cut out songs such as 'More today than yesterday' though and give the audience what they want which is the legendary hits - preferably more of the up-tempo ones.

When Nile Rodgers & Chic perform Upside Down and Coming Out [[as they did in 2013 and this year) it brings the house down.
    It may well happen in 2019 or 2020. Watch this space folks.........

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    These are the types of shows Diana Ross will have to rely more and more on in the future. Multiple acts on the same bill.
    Are you serious?

If you don't like Diana, why do you bother to comment?

Why do you even care?

Why do you keep coming to Diana's threads to spread your negativity and hatred?

Are you obsessed with her, is that it?

This obsessive and pathological love/hate relationship that some US Supremes fans have with Diana Ross should be a subject of mental health studies.

Creepy. Creepy.

It's a shame that in a forum of such high quality, we are forced to deal with this kind of unhealthy behavior. I really can't stand it.

Pure omission of the moderators.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 07-03-2017 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    "She's legendary and is a performer who's etched in our minds and throughout the human experience. She's a personification of what it means to love music and appreciate great artistry." Yup - that about sums it up!
    Beautiful.

2017 Essence Festival's

Attachment 13250

LADY SUPREME!

What an absolutely GORGEOUS PICTURE of an AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS WOMAN!!!

"Let your haters be your motivator!!"

thanks P&H...and another thing..as long as Michael Jackson's name is uttered so will Diana's...my young grandchildren love Michael Jackson and they have said to me that his friend was Diana Ross...so even the youngest generation know who she is...so put that in your pipe and smoke it Marv.

Nitro, I don't think Marv was showing disrespect for Ms. Ross's abilities. As artists age, it makes good sense to have either an opening act or a supporting act. Touring can be tough, even on a much younger artist.

The last four concerts I have seen were Gladys Knight, Patti Labelle, Dionne Warwick and Diana Ross. The only one who had an opening act was Diana with Rhonda which was a different twist. I am sure Rhonda was there to gain exposure from the crowd. These three women probably travel with some consistency throughout the year and perform from anywhere to 55- 75 Minutes in concert. I am sure if they had opening acts their sets would be shorter. Shortening the time would definitely lose my interest since I am there to see them.

I am sure these women know this and on top of that means depending on other artists and bands which drives the question of why bother at this age of the game.

Lena Horne toured up in her seventies for some time if I remember right and then toured with Tony Bennett [[I believe) for an exceptional work of showmanship for the crowd who wants something elegant. Also, one of the reasons I watch these ladies is because Ms. Horne at the age of 76 released her first LP in over a decade. Now that's what I call real royalty at its finest [[We'll Be together Soon).

As time goes by we will see what transpire with Gladys, Patti, Dionne, Diana, and hopefully just one more time Nancy Wilson. As for me right now no warm up acts.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Nitro, I don't think Marv was showing disrespect for Ms. Ross's abilities. As artists age, it makes good sense to have either an opening act or a supporting act. Touring can be tough, even on a much younger artist.
    Sorry dude. The member of which you speak shows disrespect for Diana Ross pretty much every day here. You allow it, so own it. It's what he lives for. To pretend otherwise is, at best, disingenuous.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 07-03-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Sorry dude. The member of which you speak shows disrespect for Diana Ross pretty much every day here.
    Show Ralph some respect! It is my opinion that Diana Ross like other older artists should perform on package shows. The Temptations, Four Tops, Mary Wilson and Martha Reeves do it and Miss Ross is certainly not better than any of them.

When you are no longer a concert draw alone, how else are you going to make money?

O. M. G.
    How many performers can create an iconic, career-defining image like this gorgeous photograph after 50 years in the biz? Before this, perhaps Lena Horne.
    None. Ross is in a league of her own when it comes to star power and iconic presentation. No one before or since. Her longevity speaks for itself.

Lena Horne toured up in her seventies for some time if I remember right and then toured with Tony Bennett [[I believe) for an exceptional work of showmanship for the crowd who wants something elegant. Also, one of the reasons I watch these ladies is because Ms. Horne at the age of 76 released her first LP in over a decade. Now that's what I call real royalty at its finest [[We'll Be together Soon).
    Lena Horne did not tour after the national tour of "The Lady and Her Music" concluded in the mid-80s. After age 66 or so, she just made occasional, one-off appearances.

What is remarkable about Ross is that she is 73 and still giving us her unique glamour and style -- almost unchanged in 40 years. And she still sounds wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post

Agreed. My only quibble with her recent shows has been the set list. "More Today than Yesterday" is a yawn compared to some of the classic recordings she no longer performs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Agreed. My only quibble with her recent shows has been the set list. "More Today than Yesterday" is a yawn compared to some of the classic recordings she no longer performs.
    Yes, replacing it with 'Chain Reaction' could be a good move.

None. Ross is in a league of her own when it comes to star power and iconic presentation. No one before or since. Her longevity speaks for itself.
    Ha! LOVE the one word answer: 'None'. So true!

Ha! LOVE the one word answer: 'None'. So true!
    agreed ...the one and only ..................

Contrary to a post above, it appears that the Essence Festival was a resounding success, having increased attendance by 25.000 and welcoming 470,000 attendees. Was the other post fake news? We gots to be careful. Hopefully Diana did not read it, change management, and begin booking herself into some forty dollar gigs.

Essence Festival – an annual celebration of African-American music at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome [[76,468-cap.) in New Orleans – welcomed more than 470,000 attendees to its 24th edition last week, increasing attendance by 25,000 and garnering what organisers call a “record-breaking” four billion impressions on social media.

Complementing a night-time concert series [[headliners were Diana Ross, John Legend, Chance the Rapper and Mary J. Blige), the festival once again featured “entertainment, empowerment and cultural experiences” targeted at black Americans, with actress Halle Berry, film director Ava DuVernay, civil-rights campaigner Al Sharpton and spiritual leader Iyanla Vanzant among the more than 100 speakers.

In addition to increasing attendance by ~6%, organisers say posts tagged with the #EssenceFest hashtag drew 4bn+ impressions on social media, with the festival also trending daily on Twitter.

This, say promoters, is a new record – although it should be noted iHeartRadio claimed its 2015 festival generated more than 6.5bn impressions. [[New record or not, 4bn social engagements with an arguably fairly niche festival is undeniably impressive.)

Essence Festival is produced by Essence Festivals LLC, a division of Essence Communications [[the publisher of the eponymous magazine), and New Orleans-based Solomon Group. Sponsors in 2017 included AT&T, Ford, McDonald’s, Walmart and naming partner Coca-Cola.

https://www.iq-mag.net/2017/07/new-o.../#.WVuR0GdK2M8

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Contrary to a post above, it appears that the Essence Festival was a resounding success, having increased attendance by 25.000 and welcoming 470,000 attendees. Was the other post fake news? We gots to be careful. Hopefully Diana did not read it, change management, and begin booking herself into some forty dollar gigs.

Essence Festival – an annual celebration of African-American music at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome [[76,468-cap.) in New Orleans – welcomed more than 470,000 attendees to its 24th edition last week, increasing attendance by 25,000 and garnering what organisers call a “record-breaking” four billion impressions on social media.

Complementing a night-time concert series [[headliners were Diana Ross, John Legend, Chance the Rapper and Mary J. Blige), the festival once again featured “entertainment, empowerment and cultural experiences” targeted at black Americans, with actress Halle Berry, film director Ava DuVernay, civil-rights campaigner Al Sharpton and spiritual leader Iyanla Vanzant among the more than 100 speakers.

In addition to increasing attendance by ~6%, organisers say posts tagged with the #EssenceFest hashtag drew 4bn+ impressions on social media, with the festival also trending daily on Twitter.

This, say promoters, is a new record – although it should be noted iHeartRadio claimed its 2015 festival generated more than 6.5bn impressions. [[New record or not, 4bn social engagements with an arguably fairly niche festival is undeniably impressive.)

Essence Festival is produced by Essence Festivals LLC, a division of Essence Communications [[the publisher of the eponymous magazine), and New Orleans-based Solomon Group. Sponsors in 2017 included AT&T, Ford, McDonald’s, Walmart and naming partner Coca-Cola.

https://www.iq-mag.net/2017/07/new-o.../#.WVuR0GdK2M8
    Great information, and thanks for posting. It's a great showcase for performers and I'm happy to see it did well. And yes, our very own Kelly Ann CON-A-WAY is always up for 'alternative facts'

Now this is what you're suppose to do! LOL!!!

Mary J. Blige helps fill the Superdome for Night 2 of the 2017 Essence Festival

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...616311f11.html

"That bill is solid from top to bottom, but Blige was the big draw. She is a longtime Essence favorite and the biggest act on this year's schedule in terms of ticket sales. Slotting her on Saturday, typically the biggest night of the Essence weekend anyway, attracted what will likely end up being the largest crowd of the festival."

"Now that many in the building were on their feet and on her side, Blige cruised through the fan favorites "Just Fine" and "Family Affair." Her performance reiterated that she is the closest thing Essence has to a reigning queen."
    Last edited by marv2; 07-04-2017 at 01:13 PM.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...616311f11.html

"What a difference Mary J. Blige and Saturday night made at the 2017 Essence Festival.

Large swaths of the Mercedes-Benz Superdome were empty for the 23rd Essence Fest's opening night on Friday. But the stadium was much fuller on Saturday. It felt like the Essence Fest of old, albeit with a far snazzier stage that was run far more efficiently."

Sounds like another smashing success.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Sounds like another smashing success.
    Yes! Thanks to Mary J. Blige!

I don't think Diana ross needs any help. I have seen her many times and she sells out every time

Lets move forward and be positive and ignore whomever the "one" is related to. Its about the music and information regarding "facts". A very favorite person of mine said "when a person shows you who they really are .....believe them." I was attacked day one on this site and I believe who they are now. The moderator has created the ignore button ....use it.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Do you think Diane is still charismatic as a performer as in having an effect on the audience? Charisma "moves" people. I think her Billie Holiday work could be associated with being charasmatic.
    Aretha, Babs, and Roberta are in a class by themselves.
    Regarding the Essence Festival, this is what one reviewer had to say:

"Not every performer has the personality and charisma to command a room as large as the Superdome. Charlie Wilson, who delivered several consecutive years of crowd-pleasing performances at Essence before taking this year off, certainly has the necessary charisma. So does Blige."

@captainjames: thanks for the advice I will use the ignore feature. I can't deal with some of the cray around here...SMDH

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now this is what you're suppose to do! LOL!!!
    I think you purposely ignore the fact that the Essence festival is tailored to Mary J. Blige's broad target demographic -- black women ages 25-55. She is a fantastic recording artist and performer, and natural headliner for this festival. Her new songs are still played on radio and are familiar to this audience.

The miracle of Ross is that her target demographic starts at age 55. Her last top 10 hit was over 30 years ago and yet she still filled half the SUPERDOME as the headliner. She is a superstar by any measure.

I think you purposely ignore the fact that the Essence festival is tailored to Mary J. Blige's broad target demographic -- black women ages 25-55. She is a fantastic recording artist and performer, and natural headliner for this festival. Her new songs are still played on radio and are familiar to this audience.

The miracle of Ross is that her target demographic starts at age 55. Her last top 10 hit was over 30 years ago and yet she still filled half the SUPERDOME as the headliner. She is a superstar by any measure.
    She did not fill half of the Superdome. The article said that she draws 2,000 ticket buyers. There were people there on opening night to see John Legend and India Arie as well. John Legend being the biggest current artist of the three.

Diana Ross merely added the nostalgia quotient. She is no longer a superstar. That was a long time ago. Legend, yes, superstar in 2017? NO!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-06-2017 at 03:24 AM.

If Diana did indeed fill half the Superdome that means she sold 38,234 tickets, indeed a 'superstar by any measure' - that's a great figure for a one-nighter! Most of Ross' contemporaries would be happy to sell that many tickets in a year.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...aa92bab7e.html

"Fewer than half the 47,000 or so seats available in the Essence seating configuration were filled Friday. Both the middle, loge level and upper terrace levels were sparsely populated; rows of seats at the back of the floor and side sections of the lower, plaza-level bleachers were also empty."

"The arithmetic simply didn’t work in the festival’s favor. Ross is a legend, but her last hit was years ago. Her most recent stand-alone concert in New Orleans was at the Saenger Theatre, capacity about 2,600.

That’s probably about how many tickets Ross can sell in New Orleans on her own. Legend and Arie fall in a similar range."

"Even combining all three on the same bill doesn't add up to nearly enough ticket-selling star power to fill the Superdome."

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    Are you serious?

If you don't like Diana, why do you bother to comment?

Why do you even care?

Why do you keep coming to Diana's threads to spread your negativity and hatred?

Are you obsessed with her, is that it?

This obsessive and pathological love/hate relationship that some US Supremes fans have with Diana Ross should be a subject of mental health studies.

Creepy. Creepy.

It's a shame that in a forum of such high quality, we are forced to deal with this kind of unhealthy behavior. I really can't stand it.

Pure omission of the moderators.
    I couldn't have put it better myself so i shall not even try.

Wonderfully put Bluebrock. I use the ignore button liberally now.

Last week I posted a comment about Ross' half full venue in Jacksonville because it was an anomaly, not because I thought it was funny or would begin a discussion like this. Sure, it's true she doesn't have the drawing power of yore, but she's not expected to and still out draws all of her Motown and non Motown peers. Sunday night in Sugarland, she sold all 6,000 seats and they were, I'm told, scalping outside for 2-3 times face value. Why? I don't know as she plays these same places every year or two with the same show.
    I find no humor or delight in the misery or unhappiness or lack of achievement of others. Had you been with Mary and I after the first show in Branson, you'd know it's nothing to laugh at. Mary was sad, angry and humiliated and, regardless of what you think of her, it was not funny at all. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks sad sales are amusing. These women are real human beings with the same thoughts and feelings as the rest of us. I enjoy seeing both.
    Mary in Branson was just the wrong match. Ross in Jacksonville was very aggressively priced at $250 for the lower sections - the promoter was way off using that scale. That's not an indication of her usual attendance. The Essence Festival normally books bigger names for that demo, but don't think for a minute it means she can't pull crowd on her own. Promoters wont book who they don't make money off if. The fact that she repeatedly plays the same cities over and over and draws anyone amazes me sometimes. New Orleans: 3 times in 4 years. That's a lot I feel. Don't cry for Miss Ross, she's living life exactly on her terms. I wish the same for everyone.

Nice post Maniac; all human beings, all the time; ups, downs, wins, losses, successes, failures. But still, I guess you could say............they've been lucky, the downs have been few............

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Last week I posted a comment about Ross' half full venue in Jacksonville because it was an anomaly, not because I thought it was funny or would begin a discussion like this. Sure, it's true she doesn't have the drawing power of yore, but she's not expected to and still out draws all of her Motown and non Motown peers. Sunday night in Sugarland, she sold all 6,000 seats and they were, I'm told, scalping outside for 2-3 times face value. Why? I don't know as she plays these same places every year or two with the same show.
    I find no humor or delight in the misery or unhappiness or lack of achievement of others. Had you been with Mary and I after the first show in Branson, you'd know it's nothing to laugh at. Mary was sad, angry and humiliated and, regardless of what you think of her, it was not funny at all. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks sad sales are amusing. These women are real human beings with the same thoughts and feelings as the rest of us. I enjoy seeing both.
    Mary in Branson was just the wrong match. Ross in Jacksonville was very aggressively priced at $250 for the lower sections - the promoter was way off using that scale. That's not an indication of her usual attendance. The Essence Festival normally books bigger names for that demo, but don't think for a minute it means she can't pull crowd on her own. Promoters wont book who they don't make money off if. The fact that she repeatedly plays the same cities over and over and draws anyone amazes me sometimes. New Orleans: 3 times in 4 years. That's a lot I feel. Don't cry for Miss Ross, she's living life exactly on her terms. I wish the same for everyone.
    Thank you! Very nice post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Nicely put, MM. I don't know that anyone here wishes Wilson badly. Unfortunately, however, she has a 'fan' here who goes off on multi-post negative tangents every time Diana Ross is mentioned. If this person simply stayed away from Ross posts there would probably be less negative statements about Wilson. It is what it is.

[QUOTE=jobeterob;396686]Nice post Maniac; all human beings, all the time; ups, downs, wins, losses, successes, failures. But still, I guess you could say............they've been lucky, the downs have been few............[/QUOTE
    ... and I guess you could say 'It's ALL because of you'. Or not.

Actually there would be a lot less negativity around here if every nasty statement against Ross wasn't combated with a nasty statement against Wilson, and vice versa. Marv clearly came into this thread to start some shit and y'all took the bait, just like he often takes the bait when y'all go into a thread and talk crap about Mary. There's a lot of blame to go around in this thing. Perhaps the two fanatic camps would do well to stay clear of threads that trigger their dislike of a particular Supreme and/or ignore the hate when someone is clearly trying to get a reaction out of you.

I've seen some vids from Diana's performance at the festival and the stadium looked pretty packed to me when the cameras panned out at the audience. I think the most important thing is that per the reviews the woman did her thing and didn't disappoint. At this point in her career that's the only thing that should matter. Nearly everyone booked at the festival hopes to be where Diana is now when they reach her age and sadly few will make it. I'll give Marv this: the only compliment I've ever seen him pay Diana, he called her a legend and that's exactly what she is. Case should be closed.

... well, make that 3-4 posters here

Discussing crowd size seems very Trumpy to me and actually doesn't say much of the quality of the concert. A couple of years ago, I saw Mary J. Blige at the NSJ festival in Rotterdam; the space was only half full as some other big names were performing at the same time [[if I remember correctly, Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett), but it was one of the best concerts I have ever attended. Never been a big MJB fan, but with that show she totally won me over. Incredible singer, incredible performance--don't need sold-out crowds to make that happen.

Another example is the concert Ashford and Simpson gave in Paradiso Amsterdam back in 2005. Tickets didn't sell well; people were allowed to bring another person on the same ticket, just to fill up the space--which in the end was still half full. A&S clearly were a bit disappointed and seemingly did the concert on auto-pilot, until they realized that those who were there responded extremely enthusiastically. In the end, it was a great concert, and A&S kept doing encore after encore until they ran out of songs. They ended with "Reach Out & Touch," not expecting anyone would know the song, but everybody sang along.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Discussing crowd size seems very Trumpy to me and actually doesn't say much of the quality of the concert. A couple of years ago, I saw Mary J. Blige at the NSJ festival in Rotterdam; the space was only half full as some other big names were performing at the same time [[if I remember correctly, Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett), but it was one of the best concerts I have ever attended. Never been a big MJB fan, but with that show she totally won me over. Incredible singer, incredible performance--don't need sold-out crowds to make that happen.
    'Trumpy' - yes. And I too have had similar experiences [[Tina Turner, pre-PD comeback, The Spinners at the height of their fame in a suburban venue, probably others). The best performers will indeed perform at their best always. And frequently a non-sellout can e due to inappropriate venue, too high ticket pricing, etc. Glad you saw a stellar A&S performance. I have such fond memories of this dynamic couple.

We have to remember that Diana Ross is not interested in numbers at all.

She does NOT offer herself to do any kind of promotion for her shows in the media.

She is a 73 years old lady, extremely accomplished in her personal and professional life. She does not want the stress or the demand of a high-voltage show business career at this stage of her life. So, why Ross's detractors are acting as if she is interested in doing the same numbers she did in her 20's, 30's, 40's or 50's?

It's pretty clear she's not interested.

If she wanted to fill larger venues, she certainly could. She would hire a super touring agent with great strategies, do some promotion for her shows on TV, and certainly have even better numbers than she already has. In Europe, then, it would be an overwhelming success ...

Now, why this?

Why wear herself out, work hard this way?

Any minimally intelligent person realizes that Diana's values ​​have changed in the last decade and that she does not need the money or the stress. She is NOT at all interested in the media or selling millions and millions. This phase has passed.

She just wants to sing and to do low profile work. Still, she can do excellent numbers for an artist of her age. Her shows, selling out or not, are doing still quite good business.

She can afford to schedule a number of shows, sell them, make good money, and not give a single interview or wiggle a single finger to promote them. If this is not prestige and success, I do not know what you consider success.

I just want to see what the Ross-detractors will be doing at 73 years old. Certainly Diana has a more interesting and rich life and does not need to spend her days humiliating and offending people cowardly and anonymously over the internet.

The more these bastards keep insisting that Diana's career is a failure, the more it becomes apparent their level of instability and obsession with her.

And that intolerable member of this forum that I'd rather not mention the name keeps desperately wanting our attention and posting on Diana's threads. Get a life. Or, even better, go seek counseling.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 07-06-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Actually there would be a lot less negativity around here if every nasty statement against Ross wasn't combated with a nasty statement against Wilson, and vice versa. Marv clearly came into this thread to start some shit and y'all took the bait, just like he often takes the bait when y'all go into a thread and talk crap about Mary. There's a lot of blame to go around in this thing. Perhaps the two fanatic camps would do well to stay clear of threads that trigger their dislike of a particular Supreme and/or ignore the hate when someone is clearly trying to get a reaction out of you.

I've seen some vids from Diana's performance at the festival and the stadium looked pretty packed to me when the cameras panned out at the audience. I think the most important thing is that per the reviews the woman did her thing and didn't disappoint. At this point in her career that's the only thing that should matter. Nearly everyone booked at the festival hopes to be where Diana is now when they reach her age and sadly few will make it. I'll give Marv this: the only compliment I've ever seen him pay Diana, he called her a legend and that's exactly what she is. Case should be closed.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. The same ones who gripe about marv comments turn around and do the exact same thing. I thought we were adults here . Let's act accordingly plz

Just for the record, I've never slandered any artist on this forum.

I don't even mention artists that I'm not fond of or that I don't have an emotional connection with.

I've never mentioned other Supremes members, for example. I enjoy and appreciate all of them, but I never even mention their names or careers.

So, I feel I have the right to defend Diana Ross, I've only joined this forum because of her.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 07-06-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Very true blackguy and they trash forum members personally who don't agree with them. It's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    Just for the record, I've never slandered any artist on this forum.

I don't even mention artists that I'm not fond of or that I don't have an emotional connection with.

I've never mentioned other Supremes members, for example. I enjoy and appreciate all of them, but I never even mention their names or careers.

So, I feel I have the right to defend Diana Ross, I've only joined this forum because of her.
    It's only an opinion [[no matter how crappy and petty it is) any negative opinions about Ms. Ross won't change how you feel about her, so why let it bother you.