[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes "desperately seeking sound " tear it up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1qXCBlnoY8 Great interview and performance on Soul Train that I've never seen.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1qXCBlnoY8 Great interview and performance on Soul Train that I've never seen.
    Thanks Luke! Jean was one of the best singers at Motown. Mary's smile is like a beacon that can be seen for miles. What a great performance by the ladies! Sounded better than the 45.

Seen it before but had to say I agree, Jean's vocal is much better here than on the single. I think she also did a better vocal on the Bob Hope Special. Maybe had it been "tweaked" a little more??? It was a good record.

You are welcome demot! I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Seen it before but had to say I agree, Jean's vocal is much better here than on the single. I think she also did a better vocal on the Bob Hope Special. Maybe had it been "tweaked" a little more??? It was a good record.
    The track on this seems lighter than the original recording, more sparse. This allows us to hear the vocals better, including background. Jean does get more involved in this vocal but she's not that far off what what she laid down on the recording. It just sounds brighter to me.

It does seem like "Bad Weather" is one of those songs that sounds better live than the studio version. Great performance and interview. Haven't seen it in a while.

i think one of the primary problems with BW is that it's not "singable." on the recorded version Jean strays too much from a set melody line and really riffs and ad libs. Yes it sounds great but the problem is someone driving in their car or sitting there listening to their 45s can't really sing along. Unless you're as talented as Jean [[which very few of us are lol) you're left sounding like a mess because you can't sing with her. plus you aren't left "whistling" the tune later.

Look at the big hits - You Can't Hurry Love, Hanging On, Love Child, WDOLG, ladder, stoned, etc, etc. Each and every one is a rather straight forward melody and you can sing or whistle right along. This makes the song catchy and commercial, which can translate to sales.

not saying this is the only factor in determining a hit song. but certainly one that's important.

I think if Jean had sung the recorded version more straight to the melody, it might have helped. then yes, live she can go crazy and rip it up

I've always felt it sounds unfinished. The chorus is weak . It had potential but it seems to me that Stevie was distracted and had to get home lol.

Im curious. Mary was gaining more attention but Jean kind of singled out with her outfit . Who made these decisions? [[Mary comes to the forefront at the end) The ladies? Cholly Atkins? I'm curious in general with all the groups. How much input did the artists have? Who stands where, who wears what etc etc. just a choreographer? And same for group pictures. "Let's put Obie up front..." ??

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think one of the primary problems with BW is that it's not "singable." on the recorded version Jean strays too much from a set melody line and really riffs and ad libs. Yes it sounds great but the problem is someone driving in their car or sitting there listening to their 45s can't really sing along. Unless you're as talented as Jean [[which very few of us are lol) you're left sounding like a mess because you can't sing with her. plus you aren't left "whistling" the tune later.

Look at the big hits - You Can't Hurry Love, Hanging On, Love Child, WDOLG, ladder, stoned, etc, etc. Each and every one is a rather straight forward melody and you can sing or whistle right along. This makes the song catchy and commercial, which can translate to sales.

not saying this is the only factor in determining a hit song. but certainly one that's important.

I think if Jean had sung the recorded version more straight to the melody, it might have helped. then yes, live she can go crazy and rip it up
    I concur 1000 percent. The single, as released, was too noisy and the lead IS all over the place - very accurate description. Jean did it so well live, it's a shame the record tanked as it had huge potential if tweeked.

This is clip makes me feel uneasy as this is when the group was really beginning to fall apart. They hid it well on stage, but Jean was really rough on Mary and Mary was very bitter when she realized
    jean had no respect for her anymore. Both wanted control of the group and Lynda, once the peace maker, began to side with
    jean - neither wanted Mary to take more leads, it was a mess. They sounded so good, harmonized incredibly, Lynda was ten times the voice Cindy was, but egos butted heads. Also, Diana was becoming a mega star when a year earlier, she wasn't even charting. This was an unspoken issue for both Jean and Mary as Jean really felt she was the better singer and now Ross was a smash oscar nominated movie star. Mary, for those who know her or of her, was, at the very, very least, envious. I just hated watching this group of amazing singers falling apart and I heard each of their sides.... there wasn't really a right or wrong, in my opinion - just some wrong behavior - professional behavior should always have been the most important thing - but was no longer a priority and no, Mary was not the worst - in my opinion. I never expected both girls to leave in six months although Jean hinted at it, I thought it was just an empty threat. The intrigue!!!!!That's why BW always makes me sad.

How i wish I had known DMF and DMC!!!!!

You may have noticed that Jean Terrell never sang a song the same way twice. There are several videos of the Supremes singing "Bad Weather" and Jean Terrell ad-libs differently each time.

I loooooovvvve "Bad Weather"...! Such a tune. Admittedly it doesn't have a particularly memorable or catchy chorus but I kinda don't think it needs one. It's frantic, uptempo, funky, danceable, loveable, and vocally wonderful. And it has discotheque whistles as well!!!

IMO this is the last Supremes song that is utterly, utterly fantastic and that I love to bits... and one that I love as much as any of their mid-'60s classics!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I concur 1000 percent. The single, as released, was too noisy and the lead IS all over the place - very accurate description. Jean did it so well live, it's a shame the record tanked as
    This is clip makes me feel uneasy as this is when the group was really beginning to fall apart. They hid it well on stage, but Jean was really rough on Mary and Mary was very bitter when she realized
    jean had no respect for her anymore. Both wanted control of the group and Lynda, once the peace maker, began to side with
    jean - neither wanted Mary to take more leads, it was a mess. They sounded so good, harmonized incredibly, Lynda was ten times the voice Cindy was, but egos butted heads. Also, Diana was becoming a mega star when a year earlier, she wasn't even charting. This was an unspoken issue for both Jean and Mary as Jean really felt she was the better singer and now Ross was a smash oscar nominated movie star. Mary, for those who know her or of her, was, at the very, very least, envious. I just hated watching this group of amazing singers falling apart and I heard each of their sides.... there wasn't really a right or wrong, in my opinion - just some wrong behavior - professional behavior should always have been the most important thing - but was no longer a priority and no, Mary was not the worst - in my opinion. I never expected both girls to leave in six months although Jean hinted at it, I thought it was just an empty threat. The intrigue!!!!!That's why BW always makes me sad.

How i wish I had known DMF and DMC!!!!!
    They sure kept it hid! Good observation. You'd never know there was this internal strife and the future had scherrie and Cindy coming back! So Lynda was a peace maker in the group until things started to unravel?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I loooooovvvve "Bad Weather"...! Such a tune. Admittedly it doesn't have a particularly memorable or catchy chorus but I kinda don't think it needs one. It's frantic, uptempo, funky, danceable, loveable, and vocally wonderful. And it has discotheque whistles as well!!!

IMO this is the last Supremes song that is utterly, utterly fantastic and that I love to bits... and one that I love as much as any of their mid-'60s classics!
    I say "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" and this one were the last fantastic Supremes songs. This last one ranks higher than just about all of their sixties songs with me:

Last edited by marv2; 06-29-2017 at 10:21 PM.

I think MS&S is as "supremes" as any lp prior. Let Yourself Go is an amazing dance track.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I think MS&S is as "supremes" as any lp prior. Let Yourself Go is an amazing dance track.
    That was a great track. I didn't appreciate it as much at the time, but hearing it all these years later it is a perfect club track.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I say "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" and this one were the last fantastic Supremes songs. This last one ranks higher than just about all of their sixties songs with me:

Good choice Marv! Although I will say the original sups are the all time best of the best, MSS are my personal fav. A lot of talent!

You are spot on, Marv. While Diana sings every song the exact same every night to great success, Jean went with her feelings at the time. I love Jean's recordings, however, all of my favorite performances by this stellar artist were live when she was with the group. INCREDIBLE versions of He Ain't Heavy, Bridge Over......, Somewhere, Touch...... I know she has her detractors and there are some valid criticisms of some recordings but when Jean was lost in a song, no one could touch her. Period.

You may have noticed that Jean Terrell never sang a song the same way twice. There are several videos of the Supremes singing "Bad Weather" and Jean Terrell ad-libs differently each time.

You are spot on, Marv. While Diana sings every song the exact same every night to great success, Jean went with her feelings at the time. I love Jean's recordings, however, all of my favorite performances by this stellar artist were live when she was with the group. INCREDIBLE versions of He Ain't Heavy, Bridge Over......, Somewhere, Touch...... I know she has her detractors and there are some valid criticisms of some recordings but when Jean was lost in a song, no one could touch her. Period.
    Jean was pure voice, intellectual in regards to singing. She was never off key. Some say she could be shrill, but that was when the "spirit" hit her. When you listen to and consider the wide variety of sounds/music she recorded at Motown, you just have to conclude this woman was an incredible vocalist. When she sang "Lean On Me" on the Flip Wilson Show with the Supremes, even my father was impressed!

Jean Terrell had the potential to be as great as Ella Fitzgerald. I have listened to a lot of singers in my lifetime and she absolutely ranks high up on my list. I always debate whether it was she or Gladys Knight being the greatest female vocalist Motown ever recorded. I know the intro to "Stoned Love" is just about the sweetest sound this side of Heaven!
    Last edited by marv2; 06-30-2017 at 12:22 AM.

How about Thelma in the top 3?

How about Thelma in the top 3?
    You could.......along with these ladies Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne, Brenda Holloway, Florence Ballard, Susaye Greene, Bonnie Pointer, Wanda Rogers, Gladys Horton,etc, etc, etc.

Jean was fantastic. That woman could sing her face off. And I think she had a voice that lent itself well to a variety of genres, just like her predecessor, which is probably one of the big reasons she was chosen to take Diana's place. Studio or live, Jean Terrell was somebody's singer. My three favorite Supreme voices- in no particular order- are Jean Terrell, Diana Ross and Florence Ballard. I'm so glad Diana's volume of work is as heavy as it is [[and I hope it continues) but I'm so disappointed that Jean and Flo's work post Supremes is so sparse. I've always believed that given all the pieces falling into place, Flo, while maybe not a "superstar", she would have left this great artistic body of work, full of soul classics. But Jean could've skyrocketed if she had kept at it and hooked up with the right people. Could you imagine Jean in Clive Davis' hands? What would Jean have done with Masser material? Could she have taken something like "I'll Never Love This Way Again" to major hit status? The possibilities...

I can rank some of my favorite voices, but I wouldn't even attempt to debate "greatest". Motown definitely favored certain artists over others, but one thing that company knew how to do was pick some super singers, unique singers. Specifically with the women, obviously the aforementioned Jean Terrell, Diana Ross, Florence Ballard, Gladys Knight, Thelma Houston, and also Martha Reeves, Wanda Rogers, Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston, and so many others. Who did these women sound like? Aren't their voices instantly recognizable? And obviously judging by the amount of fans, these women's voices touched millions. Motown was NEVER at a loss for great female singers, whether they utilized them all or not. Gordy and company knew how to pick 'em.

I think you have to add Gladys Horton to the list too. I love her vocals. there's a touch a raspy-ness to them and, given she had limited to no formal training, she was great with phrasing. obviously a natural.

Scherrie Payne and Susaye should be on the list too. Lynda also. very gifted singers.

Bad Weather was a good song. But, too many wildly manic performances, and their time had passed.

You could.......along with these ladies Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne, Brenda Holloway, Florence Ballard, Susaye Greene, Bonnie Pointer, Wanda Rogers, Gladys Horton,etc, etc, etc.
    Mary Wilson? Mary Wilson? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Jean was fantastic. That woman could sing her face off. And I think she had a voice that lent itself well to a variety of genres, just like her predecessor, which is probably one of the big reasons she was chosen to take Diana's place. Studio or live, Jean Terrell was somebody's singer. My three favorite Supreme voices- in no particular order- are Jean Terrell, Diana Ross and Florence Ballard. I'm so glad Diana's volume of work is as heavy as it is [[and I hope it continues) but I'm so disappointed that Jean and Flo's work post Supremes is so sparse. I've always believed that given all the pieces falling into place, Flo, while maybe not a "superstar", she would have left this great artistic body of work, full of soul classics. But Jean could've skyrocketed if she had kept at it and hooked up with the right people. Could you imagine Jean in Clive Davis' hands? What would Jean have done with Masser material? Could she have taken something like "I'll Never Love This Way Again" to major hit status? The possibilities...
    Jean was never happy being in the spotlight. She knew she had a special talent but she had a mind of her own and did not like being controlled by Berry or Mary. In the end she decided she would be better off out of it , and apart from the spell in the Flo's and a few public appearances she never regretted that decision.

It is great listening to everyone's theory on this song and Jean's gift of a voice.
    It is shame this song tanked and I know Stevie was a bit disappointed but I always wondered if it would have done better with Lynda on lead. Stevie is a creative songwriter and producer and when I heard the title and song I knew there was turmoil in the group.
    The stage patter was not that friendly to me and I could tell there were issues.
    While watching this clip I focused on Lynda. Jean was too over the top and Mary just blended in and who gave her that whistle ?

Great performance!

That guy who asked 'can I have a photo?' as a question in the interview, LOLOL

Great performance!

That guy who asked 'can I have a photo?' as a question in the interview, LOLOL
    Yeah that was L'il Joe Chism. He was a huge Supremes fan.

Yeah that was L'il Joe Chism. He was a huge Supremes fan.
    Oh, wow, thanks Marv. I found this great piece on him: http://soultrain.com/2013/10/28/diar...tle-joe-chism/.

I wasn't crazy about BW as a single but this performance is really good. like it much better. I do think the single was to busy or noisy. but in this clip they seem to really rock it. I always felt and still feel this songs needed a different lighter mix

Oh, wow, thanks Marv. I found this great piece on him: http://soultrain.com/2013/10/28/diar...tle-joe-chism/.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I wasn't crazy about BW as a single but this performance is really good. like it much better. I do think the single was to busy or noisy. but in this clip they seem to really rock it. I always felt and still feel this songs needed a different lighter mix
    I have always loved Bad Weather and still think it is one of the 70's Supremes finest moments. I may be in the minority but i love it and always did. Both Jean and Lynda told me they recorded around 6 further songs with Stevie which he has got securely locked up in the vault, along with his sessions with Diana, and of course 100's of his own recordings. So frustrating. I guess we shall have to wait until his passing before we have any chance of hearing them, and of course none of us want that day to be anytime soon.

sad to know so many songs lay in a vault and will never be heard. I have heard Soft Days and I think there was one more. I am not sure why Steve doesn't want them to be released but perhaps Motown can twist his arm a bit. but it doesn't seem like there is a chance for that to happen but .....lets hope by the time that happens we wont care ....we will all be to darn old,lol

how I would love a 70s supremes Lost and Found.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    how I would love a 70s supremes Lost and Found.
    I used to think it was an impossible dream but after getting a physical version of A Go Goafter Universal said digital only, anything is possible. I would be quite happy with a digital only version of 70s Supremes Lost and Found.