[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    There appears to be no interest in a show playing soul music that a lot of people on here regularly complain is not played on radio shows. I'm at a loss to understand this.
    It can't be the music, so it must be me
    Perhaps it's because I'm from the UK?
    Thanks for the mixcloud link! I'll try it this evening.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 07-10-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Back when I thought Little Stevie Wonder was around my age. LOL!

"Contract On Love" 1962

Who will take the blame-the miracles

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey arr&bee, I could only find this one [[?)

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Another one of Motown's sad songs. Without looking, i am remembering June 1970.

Gladys Knight & The Pips "Didn't You Know [[You'd Have To Cry Sometime)" [[1969)

How about a Gladys Knight and the Pips "twin spin"! From 1971 "I Don't Want To Do Wrong":

[QUOTE=marv2;398133]Back when I thought Little Stevie Wonder was around my age. LOL!

Hey Marv
    Great song that !!
    I'm 1 year older than Stevie, almost to the day
    here's another great one

Can I insert 2 videos in one post?

apparently I can't, please see next post

See previous MG Try it Baby post

I was listening to The History of Motown 1965 in my car Sunday morning, and noticed the[[to me anyway) similarities to the backing tracks, is that Marvin on piano, and who is that playing the Jordinaires type guitar solo midway thro' the Shorty number?
    anyone have an opinion

The Originals, mostly known for Marvin Gaye-penned romantic ballads, a few more ballads after that, then up to 76's "Down To Love Town"; my favorite of theirs, mid-tempo and mid-charting, "Good Lovin' Is Just A Dime Away".

Quote Originally Posted by tomatotom123 View Post
    hey arr&bee, i could only find this one [[?)

that's the one,i messed up the title,my bad.

Great track RichyP I do like Shorty Long, that reminds me hope no one else has posted it yet Funtion At The Junction sorry if they have. Here Comes The Judge is such a great fun album with the likes of the above and Night Fo' last, Here Come's Fat Albert and Stranded in the jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    The Originals, mostly known for Marvin Gaye-penned romantic ballads, a few more ballads after that, then up to 76's "Down To Love Town"; my favorite of theirs, mid-tempo and mid-charting, "Good Lovin' Is Just A Dime Away".
    Ahh, very nice! Don't get me started on The Originals though, Ngroove, they're just so underrated...!!!

How about this absolutely fantastic should-have-been-a-massive-smash of a song?!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Ahh, very nice! Don't get me started on The Originals though, Ngroove, they're just so underrated...!!!

How about this absolutely fantastic should-have-been-a-massive-smash of a song?!

I thought someone would post this soon another fantastic Originals track. thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    I thought someone would post this soon another fantastic Originals track. thanks Tom
    Ah, it just had to be posted... so wonderul... yo' welcome Paul

River Deep Mountain High - Supremes and Four Tops

[QUOTE=RichyP;398309]
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Back when I thought Little Stevie Wonder was around my age. LOL!

Hey Marv
    Great song that !!
    I'm 1 year older than Stevie, almost to the day
    here's another great one

RichyP, you picked a great! This is one I remember a friend sang in one of our school talent shows. Stevie had so many good songs, he could have had his own radio station. Well in fact he did, but it played a variety of artists. Thank you for making me remember "Never Had A Dream Come True".

River Deep Mountain High - Supremes and Four Tops
    This one was a huge hit at our house. I remember my 7 year old sister standing in front of the stereo just dancing her brains out and my brother and I singing at the tops of our lungs. LOL!

Ten years after his first solo release, David Ruffin proved he still had IT!

From the Winter of 1977-78, Diana Ross - "Gettin' Ready for Love"

Come on and let's get down with Rick James and "Cold Blooded" from 1983!

Teena Marie - "Lovergirl"

My baby! VANITY Under The Influence

Sure. For example just about any cut from her 1980 album, "Syreeta" should have been a hit. Here's one for you to sample:
    I meant to thank you for providing these Marv. I do hear hit potential in BLAME IT .

I listen to this and I'm reminded how I came to decide that Gladys Knight was and still is my favorite female vocalist. [[ oh and Kris Kristofferson my favorite songwriter)

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I meant to thank you for providing these Marv. I do hear hit potential in BLAME IT .

I listen to this and I'm reminded how I came to decide that Gladys Knight was and still is my favorite female vocalist. [[ oh and Kris Kristofferson my favorite songwriter)

Gladys is a LOT of people's favorite female vocalist. Definitely one of mine.

How about this one, the great Luther is in there somewhere as well

And this one

I may be pushing Marvs' parameters for this thread a little with this one, it was the first 45 that my mother bought, she had to buy a record player as well , as her old gramophone she had, only played 78's she had all of Elvis-es she trashed them later when she got "the golden hits"
    this may be tenuous, but Berry did co-write it

alternatively

Quote Originally Posted by RichyP View Post
    I may be pushing Marvs' parameters for this thread a little with this one, it was the first 45 that my mother bought, she had to buy a record player as well , as her old gramophone she had, only played 78's she had all of Elvis-es she trashed them later when she got "the golden hits"
    this may be tenuous, but Berry did co-write it

Oh RichyP you are totally right on with this entry! Jackie Wilson would have been Motown's big star if it were not for his contract with Brunswick. This reminds me of a story. About 5 years ago my mother took me down to the old Civic Auditorium in Toledo, Ohio where Jackie Wilson and all of the early [[soon to be ) Motown stars played. She showed me the wooden dance floor and the wooden stage where Jackie use to glide across, fall down on his knees and sing the roof off of the place! This was in the 1950s and she and my father were big fans!

Another bit of trivia. Berry Gordy's first two weddings were in Toledo!

RichyP, thanks also for remind me of mine and my cousin Debbie's favorite Isley Brothers record...........

Isley Brothers "Love the One You're With" from 1971

Hey Marv
    great story, I so envy you guys over there,how I would have loved to have gone to the Roostertail. I used to gaze in wonderment at the 4tops live album cover

Hey Marv
    great story, I so envy you guys over there,how I would have loved to have gone to the Roostertail. I used to gaze in wonderment at the 4tops live album cover
    I was never old enough to go inside the Roostertail Upper Deck for shows back in the day, but I've been inside.

I was never old enough to go inside the Roostertail Upper Deck for shows back in the day, but I've been inside.
    I've seen the tempts in various incarnations over here, 4 times, as I said the other day, I saw Jimmy Ruffin and saw Mary Wells 1964 I think on the Beatles tour, but they were all in large theatres where there was limited atmosphere I did however see Junior Walker and the All Stars, in 1965/6 at the Shaftsbury theatre in London and boy was there an atmosphere there. A few months later the Theatre was closed for several years for refurbishment, apparently plaster had been falling from the ceiling, I always chuckle when I see Juniors Blow the House Down cover.
    We had four or five nice clubs accessible in the mid 60's and 3 or 4 bands that regularly played them. Georgie Fame, Prince Buster, and Jimmy James spring to mind[[ he could really get a conga going singing "Amen" he would leave the dance hall go through the bar, out thro the kitchens, on thro the cloak room back to the dance hall with maybe 100 to 150 of us in tow) great atmosphere.
    aaH memories, you realise you guys are my therapists, keeping the old grey matter churning, but don't bill me

I've seen the tempts in various incarnations over here, 4 times, as I said the other day, I saw Jimmy Ruffin and saw Mary Wells 1964 I think on the Beatles tour, but they were all in large theatres where there was limited atmosphere I did however see Junior Walker and the All Stars, in 1965/6 at the Shaftsbury theatre in London and boy was there an atmosphere there. A few months later the Theatre was closed for several years for refurbishment, apparently plaster had been falling from the ceiling, I always chuckle when I see Juniors Blow the House Down cover.
    We had four or five nice clubs accessible in the mid 60's and 3 or 4 bands that regularly played them. Georgie Fame, Prince Buster, and Jimmy James spring to mind[[ he could really get a conga going singing "Amen" he would leave the dance hall go through the bar, out thro the kitchens, on thro the cloak room back to the dance hall with maybe 100 to 150 of us in tow) great atmosphere.
    aaH memories, you realise you guys are my therapists, keeping the old grey matter churning, but don't bill me
    Do you know I never got to hear what Georgie Fame sounded like until he toured with Mary Wilson and Bill Wyman a few years ago. He and Mary did a spectacular duet of "Stormy Weather".

You're not old....stop it! You guys were just the big kids when I was starting school......................LOL!!!

Hey Marv
    You must, I insist go and find Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames Rythmn and Blues at the Flamingo this is typical of those clubs I spoke about
    I did get to the Flamingo once, but it had become too famous by then. I think it was Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band when I was there, he was another on that club circuit I spoke about.

It may seem that I have veered off topic here, but these groups were heavily into Motown, Check out Georgies version of "Pride and Joy"
    i'm done now, must let someone else have a go

Hey Marv
    You must, I insist go and find Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames Rythmn and Blues at the Flamingo this is typical of those clubs I spoke about
    I did get to the Flamingo once, but it had become too famous by then. I think it was Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band when I was there, he was another on that club circuit I spoke about.
    I am promising myself a trip over there as soon as I can. I have always wanted to visit. I am a Coronation Street addict so I want to hear people that talk like that in person! LOL Love it.

Reet Petite, reet is how right is pronounced up that way, up there they would call me a soft southerner LoL

Reet Petite, reet is how right is pronounced up that way, up there they would call me a soft southerner LoL
    I love when they say "so what you playing at?" and "go do one!" LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-12-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Hi RichyP careful what you say about Corry St otherwise Marv will get upset lol,
    Oh How Happy - Edwin Starr and Blinky

LOL, I didn't know afternoon soap operas from the UK were so popular in America!

Love "Oh, How Happy" so much... especially this version by The Jackson Five which might be my favourite...

And there's this delightful version by none other than Billy Eckstine, and produced by Norman Whitfield!!!!!

Which reminds me of this absolutely FANTASTIC song by Billy while at Motown... so amazing...

Hi RichyP careful what you say about Corry St otherwise Marv will get upset lol,
    Oh How Happy - Edwin Starr and Blinky

I just watched today's episode. My biggest complaint about the show is that they took the most beautiful, gorgeous woman on television anywhere in recent times off......Carla Connors , but left Fiz on the show? Good Grief LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    And there's this delightful version by none other than Billy Eckstine, and produced by Norman Whitfield!!!!!

I've known about this album all of my life practically but never listened to anything from it until. Gramps does a good job on this one. I still give the J-5 the edge.

Thank Heavens for birth control when this one came out!!

A house party favorite from 1965! VELVELETTES- "A BIRD IN HAND [[IS WORTH TWO IN THE BUSH)"

This sounds a different mix to that which has appeared on the 2 Velvelette compilation albums. Am I right?