[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Someone mentioned this early on and I think it deserves to have a video posted - Marvin Gaye singing You. A great, great song. Also, I would add All I Need by The Temptations as a forgotten gem. That one should not be forgotten!

Marv I love that track 'Do it Baby'. All those great Syreeta tracks you posted you forgot 'Spinnin and Spinnin'

BTW welcome RichyP

Quote Originally Posted by RichyP View Post
    Hi Guys
    first ever post, been reading here for many years.Can't say I rarely here this song, because I play Stevies version a lot, but also really like the others which I do rarely hear
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqbvX_sYoN0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shy8Xgncxww
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMxPsZuouY8

Hope to be back soon with a thread of my own
    Best wishes to all!
    Hey Richy, welcome!!!!! Great choice by the way... fantastic and underrated song! Are you aware of Brenda Holloway's version? It's also excellent... but no surprise there, eh?

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-07-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Marv I love that track 'Do it Baby'. All those great Syreeta tracks you posted you forgot 'Spinnin and Spinnin'

BTW welcome RichyP
    Hey Marv and Paul, I love this one by Syreeta too...

Also love this fantastic song... quite a big hit here in the UK I believe but unfortunately I have never heard it on the radio before...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Richy, welcome!!!!! Great choice by the way... fantastic and underrated song! Are you aware of Brenda Holloway's? It's also excellent... but no surprise there, eh?

So Brenda got a crack this one too? I like it. Brenda has a more full bodied voice than Tammi Terrell. Nice find.

Also love this fantastic song... quite a big hit here in the UK I believe but unfortunately I have never heard it on the radio before...

That's a nice enough record but it would have never gotten any radio airplay in the U.S.

This was the last record by Syreeta that made any noise here in the U.S. From 1981 "Quick Slick":

Last edited by marv2; 07-07-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Now this was a major debut hit for Switch in the Fall of 1978. We would sing this walking across campus my freshman year in college. Switch - "There'll Never Be"

A big record in Philadelphia................DAVID RUFFIN -"STATUE OF A FOOL" [[1975)

This was popular on CKLW Windsor-Detroit for Martha Reeves - "Wild Night"

Hi Tomato Tom
    I want to thank all you guys for the welcome you've given me, and hope you don't get bored with my ramblings too soon
    No I wasn't aware of this track, and as you say great version.
    Hey Richy, welcome!!!!! Great choice by the way... fantastic and underrated song! Are you aware of Brenda Holloway's version? It's also excellent... but no surprise there, eh?

Another one of my favourites is Little Stevies' "Teach me tonight" I love the vocal interjections that sound remarkably like Levi, altho' I believe they are from Clarence Paul.
    I cannot find a link to a playable recording and would much appreciate it if someone could and post it on here.
    My copy is tucked away somewhere in the attic
    Please keep this thread going, I'm really enjoying it

Hi Tomato Tom
    I want to thank all you guys for the welcome you've given me, and hope you don't get bored with my ramblings too soon
    No I wasn't aware of this track, and as you say great version.
    Hey Richy, I'm sure you'll love it here as I did when I first became a member. And don't worry about rambling, I do it all the time... in fact it's a vital component of most of my posts, LOL

Oh, yes, I believe Brenda's version was another of her then-unreleased recordings that didn't see the light of day until 2005 with her Motown Anthology!

Another one of my favourites is Little Stevies' "Teach me tonight" I love the vocal interjections that sound remarkably like Levi, altho' I believe they are from Clarence Paul.
    I cannot find a link to a playable recording and would much appreciate it if someone could and post it on here.
    You know, Richy, I had never even heard that one before, it's great. Oh, yea, I hear Levi Stubbs on there too. How great.

Wait, that's Clarence Paul? It really sounds like Levi. I've never really heard Clarence sing though so...?

Hey Richy, I found this clip of "Teach Me Tonight" on YouTube, enjoy

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-08-2017 at 07:53 PM.

You know, Richy, I had never even heard that one before, it's great. Oh, yea, I hear Levi Stubbs on there too. How great.

Wait, that's Clarence Paul? It really sounds like Levi. I've never really heard Clarance sing though so...?

Hey Richy, I found this clip of "Teach Me Tonight" on YouTube, enjoy

Thanks for that Tomato Tom Wow the memories come flooding back, I remember every Friday lunchtime I would go to a certain pub in a boisterous Naval town, as the jukebox was always restocked then, I would sift thro' the records being removed and pay the guy a shilling[[dime, I suppose) for each one I wanted.On this one occasion I got a well worn copy of Stevies' "I was made to love Her" Later that evening I presented it to my then Girlfriend, now my Wife, you would have thought I'd given her a diamond ring
    [[what a cheapskate!)

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Serenaders - "Tears, Nobody, and a Smile:
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-08-2017 at 10:04 AM.

IMHOP as good as Ooh Baby Baby

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Serenaders - "Tears, Nobody, and a Smile:
    https://www.shazam.com/track/1052298...dy-and-a-smile
    I like the background on this one a lot. Thanks Robb!

Here ya go RichyP

The Marvelettes - "Destination Anywhere" [[August 1968)

How do you do that?

[QUOTE=marv2;397541]Here ya go RichyP

Thanks Marv
    How do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    A big record in Philadelphia................DAVID RUFFIN -"STATUE OF A FOOL" [[1975)

OMG Marv this is one fantastic track, it's one of my all time favourite Motown tracks THANKS.

That is Levi. Clarance Paul's has a softer gospel like sound.

Thanks Marv
    How do you do that?
    Hey Richy, do you want to know how to insert videos into your posts? If you do, here's my guide!!!

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  72.0 KB

For example, here is what I typed to insert that Stevie Wonder video into my above post:

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  21.6 KB

Hope that helps!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-08-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Here is a bit simpler way of inserting a video. Copy the video's URL, come back to Soulful Detroit. Then on the little task bar above where you posts your comments click on the little "film role" icon that is second from the end of icons on the task bar. Once you click on it ,a space bar will pop up, past the video URL in the empty bar. Then you can continue typing outside of the URL brackets or you can just click "post quick reply" at the bottom.

Here is a bit simpler way of inserting a video. Copy the video's URL, come back to Soulful Detroit. Then on the little task bar above where you posts your comments click on the little "film role" icon that is second from the end of icons on the task bar. Once you click on it ,a space bar will pop up, past the video URL in the empty bar. Then you can continue typing outside of the URL brackets or you can just click "post quick reply" at the bottom.
    Hey Marv, what ya tryin' to say? That my way of inserting videos isn't simple?! LOL, I'll have you know that just creating that guide took me a good 15 minutes

Hey Marv, what ya tryin' to say? That my way of inserting videos isn't simple?! LOL, I'll have you know that just creating that guide took me a good 15 minutes
    That's why mine is simpler. It took me less than 2 mins to type. LOL

All help to new members is appreciated.

Chuck Jackson - "Boy Overpower [[The Man In You)" 1968

From 1983 High Inergy and..................."He's A Pretender"!

The Supremeskis and "Everybody's Got The Right To Love [[MONO)" from 1970:

Marvin Gaye "Pretty Little Baby" 1965:

One of my favorite Motown ladies.....Ms. Carolyn Crawford and "My Smile Is Just A Frown [[Turned Upside Down)" 1964

This was what I call an essential 60s house party record. Jr. Walker and The Allstars "How Sweet It Is" from 1965!

I Stand Corrected

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    That is Levi. Clarance Paul's has a softer gospel like sound.
    Hi BFTF
    Thanks for that always doubted, but I think there was some discussion over this in Record Mirror and/or Blues and Soul letters at the time of album release, I probably did not follow thro' to conclusion
    Thanks again
    I must be up there in the upper echelons of 4top fandom too

Hey TT and Marv
    Thanks a lot you guys, my tech Guru, my 14 year old grandson has abandoned me, he say's I'm a Hopeless case? I don't know what he means?
    Will try out my new found skills later

This was what I call an essential 60s house party record. Jr. Walker and The Allstars "How Sweet It Is" from 1965!

Hey Marv
    Couldn't agree more. I love these pseudo live studio recordings, Money is another as you are well aware. also like the Supremes'
    "Someday well be together" Johnny Bristol sounds like he is at the back of a rather large auditorium don't you think
    Regarding party records, I have only ever worn out one record and that was The Temptations first greatest hits album, you could put that on with the autochanger arm back and it would play continuously, after 4 or 5 times some would eventually turn it over and repeat.

Test, but I really do like this one, and haven't heard it anywhere, other than in my house

Actually met Jimmy after a concert 1990 I think, I asked him why he had only sang his early stuff, he said it was what people wanted to hear. I pointed out that I was people and said I would have liked to hear this song, his face lit up, and he said " I wrote that "

ooPs this is supposed to be " because of you" but seems to be all of Jimmys' stuff on Youtube
    must try harder!!!!
    Last edited by RichyP; 07-09-2017 at 08:33 AM.

RichyP thanks for that track I've never heard that before and wow you met him Jimmy Ruffin.
    Hey Marv what about this David Ruffin track. Tom might apprciate this one

Test, but I really do like this one, and haven't heard it anywhere, other than in my house

Actually met Jimmy after a concert 1990 I think, I asked him why he had only sang his early stuff, he said it was what people wanted to hear. I pointed out that I was people and said I would have liked to hear this song, his face lit up, and he said " I wrote that "

ooPs this is supposed to be " because of you" but seems to be all of Jimmys' stuff on Youtube
    must try harder!!!!
    Hey, Richy, you did it!!!! Yay! I'm proud of you, lol

Thanks for posting that one too, for some reason I had never heard it before and WOW it is fantastic. And what a great experience, thanks for sharing. It really made me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    RichyP thanks for that track I've never heard that before and wow you met him Jimmy Ruffin.
    Hey Marv what about this David Ruffin track. Tom might apprciate this one
    AH, I do appreciate it, Paul, LOL

I really don't know why I said I didn't like that one originally. The song is always better than I think it is when I listen to it. It's probably one of my least favourite songs on the [[absolutely fantastic) Everything's Coming Up Love LP... but it's still excellent of course.

Five Smooth Stone "I Will Never Love Another"

https://youtu.be/ZgAW8O2wfGw
    Last edited by caliluv; 07-09-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Add graphic

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    Five Smooth Stone "I Will Never Love Another"

https://youtu.be/ZgAW8O2wfGw
    That is a nice song Caliluv. Do you know anything about this group?

The Supremes and The Four Tops "Knock on My Door" from 1970 and a favorite of mine..................

The Four Tops- YESTERDAY'S DREAMS, I'M IN A DIFFERENT WORLD, WHAT IS A MAN, BARBARA'S BOY, NOTHING

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    The Four Tops- YESTERDAY'S DREAMS, I'M IN A DIFFERENT WORLD, WHAT IS A MAN, BARBARA'S BOY, NOTHING
    "I'm In A Different World" is definitely one of my favorites I don't hear much:

AAH David Ruffin
    Where do I begin

Demonstrating his vocal range even in his advancing years and after much personal abuse

Outperforms TP [[ I love TP)
    see also
    Miss You pt 1
    Take me clear from here
    just for starters

and just for balance, here's Dennis [[well the tempts actually)
    am I posting too many?

AAH David Ruffin
    Where do I begin

Demonstrating his vocal range even in his advancing years and after much personal abuse

Outperforms TP [[ I love TP)
    see also
    Miss You pt 1
    Take me clear from here
    just for starters
    RichyP - I love Take Me Clear From Here great track. You carry on listing as many as you want. It's good to see what gets us all going.
    Plus I love Temps could listen to them all day long, in fact I do sometimes lol.