[REMOVE ADS]

The Jacksons BBC Glastonbury

Recorded The Jacksons last night live at Glastonbury covered by the BBC, how sad watching it back this morning superb backing musicians, but the vocals I have never heard such weak & low vocals, was it the sound guys problems? or just their vocals have not the same strength? then why not use some backing vocals.

The large audience seemed to give them a good reaction, they are set to appear at Haydock Racecourse in a few weeks time minutes away from me, but I would not pay the price being asked for what I have just watched. I will look again at BBC Catchup to see if the sound is any better.

I'm going to see them tonight in Cardiff but the tickets were buy one get one free on Groupon I did watch last night's show and agree the microphones were too low on the voices and the vocals weren't the best but they gave a good performance

Agree they gave a good performance, a set of an hour and a quarter, from about half way through & 'Gone Too Soon' the vocals did go a little higher. Love The Jacksons and will never forget in my mid teens the first tour of The Jackson Five, at The Liverpool Empire, hope tonight in Cardiff is good show.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Recorded The Jacksons last night live at Glastonbury covered by the BBC, how sad watching it back this morning superb backing musicians, but the vocals I have never heard such weak & low vocals, was it the sound guys problems? or just their vocals have not the same strength? then why not use some backing vocals.

The large audience seemed to give them a good reaction, they are set to appear at Haydock Racecourse in a few weeks time minutes away from me, but I would not pay the price being asked for what I have just watched. I will look again at BBC Catchup to see if the sound is any better.
    I agree they were mediocre to say the least, but without Michael they were never better than okay in my opinion. None of them are particularly strong vocalists.
    Hopefully Barry Gibb will be much better this afternoon.

Entirely my thoughts, too. The TV was on here, in the background, and it took a while to register that it was, indeed, The Jacksons.

As Jaybs says, they had superb backing musicians.

As Jaybs and Dickiemint say, a good performance, with a whole lot of energy, musicianship and stage presentation, but I felt also an element of trying just that bit too hard.

And yes, I felt the vocals were much too low, with inaudible lyrics...and what I did hear was, as Bluebrock says, mediocre. I think there were some 'pitch issues' at times. After a while, I found myself feeling annoyed by it all, and thinking 'did they not do a soundcheck?'

It was like watching an enthusiastic tribute band.

The Jacksons certainly have experience, and work hard but, IMO, do have an essential handicap in that none has any natural charisma or stage presence.

Disappointing......

Thanks! was worried it was just me, decided not to delete the performance, as I edited it, titled it, had looked forward to it for a while, that's how it goes.

Overall, I did enjoy watching it. I thought the enthusiasm by the four - Jermaine, Tito, Marlon and Jackie was great. Musically it was superb, but whoever was controlling the volume of the vocals caused a potentially fantastic performance becoming mediocre.

There was too much getting the audience to join in, introducing the musicians [[who cares who they are - I'll never hear of them again). All I wanted was the four of them to sing / perform.

It was interesting to hear the tracks from Tito's new CD - both tracks sounded good. I thought Marlon was amazingly good.

Fair comments by all. The musicians were really good and the whole thing moved along with great energy. The guys certainly had very good stage craft, there were some good moves and the entire package was good. I think the major problem was the vocal sound mixing. The vocals were simply too buried. Was this by accident or design? Overall I thought they did a very acceptable show. I mean, do remember for instance that Jermaine is 62, and Marlon's moves were very agile even now.

Here is their show:

I love it! The Sound engineer needs a very rough talking to, but I love the show.

Just got in from their Cardiff Show and to be fair it was the same show, in a much smaller venue and indoors and the sound was spot on, we could hear the vocals and they were good , obviously there is a difference in voices from hearing Michael in your head and having the brothers singing his leads but they all took turns and played their part, Tito surprised me he had a good singing voice and not just the low parts, jermaine sang Gone to soon in honour of Michael and he hit every note an excellent show very slick and professional and with 50years experience under their belts you should expect that . Jackie took lead on a J5 medley and Marlon was enthusiastically getting the crowd going imitating Michael's dance moves . Lots of videos even contributions from their parents and Berry Gordy A Great night out !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Just got in from their Cardiff Show and to be fair it was the same show, in a much smaller venue and indoors and the sound was spot on, we could hear the vocals and they were good , obviously there is a difference in voices from hearing Michael in your head and having the brothers singing his leads but they all took turns and played their part, Tito surprised me he had a good singing voice and not just the low parts, jermaine sang Gone to soon in honour of Michael and he hit every note an excellent show very slick and professional and with 50years experience under their belts you should expect that . Jackie took lead on a J5 medley and Marlon was enthusiastically getting the crowd going imitating Michael's dance moves . Lots of videos even contributions from their parents and Berry Gordy A Great night out !!!
    Dickiemint I wished I could have been there! I'll admit that they were surprisingly good from the video I watched above. It's hard sometime to realize that they are all over 60 years old now, but they still know how to do it!

Nile Rogers appeared with Chic yesterday and the sound was perfect! and many are rating them the top artist of the weekend! The sound team with The Jacksons should hang their heads in shame.

Dickiemint so good to hear the sound at Cardiff was Superb! it is what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I agree they were mediocre to say the least, but without Michael they were never better than okay in my opinion. None of them are particularly strong vocalists.
    Hopefully Barry Gibb will be much better this afternoon.
    Do report back about Barry Gibb - his recent LP was quite good [[in fact, parts excellent)

I agree, the sound quality was appalling, it was only the fact that you were familiar with the song that you could guess what they were singing.
    to me, watching the Jacksons sing songs previously fronted by Michael is like watching the Pips perform without Gladys.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I agree, the sound quality was appalling, it was only the fact that you were familiar with the song that you could guess what they were singing.
    to me, watching the Jacksons sing songs previously fronted by Michael is like watching the Pips perform without Gladys.
    I agree. I don't like to be too harsh but frankly without Michael they are very very average at best, but they applied themselves with great enthusiasm and probably enjoyed themselves more than the audience!

Nile Rogers appeared with Chic yesterday and the sound was perfect! and many are rating them the top artist of the weekend! The sound team with The Jacksons should hang their heads in shame.

Dickiemint so good to hear the sound at Cardiff was Superb! it is what they deserve.
    Chic were superb!! Enough said.

Sadly, for all the criticism, this performance at Glastonbury by The Jacksons may well be the last "soul performance" by any act, ever, to a massive audience. Choreography, harmony, stage craft, soul music, this might well be the last soul performance in front of a crowd of this dimension. I liked it. Sadly some of the opinion seems unsupportive. I personally am sorry to see the disappearance of the art form. The end of an era, and the loss of the soul art form.

A challenge!

Name another soul act who could commercially perform in front of an audience of this size, anywhere, worldwide......
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 06-26-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Sadly, for all the criticism, this performance at Glastonbury by The Jacksons may well be the last "soul performance" by any act, ever, to a massive audience. Choreography, harmony, stage craft, soul music, this might well be the last soul performance in front of a crowd of this dimension. I liked it. Sadly some of the opinion seems unsupportive. I personally am sorry to see the disappearance of the art form. The end of an era, and the loss of the soul art form.

A challenge!

Name another soul act who could commercially perform in front of an audience of this size, anywhere, worldwide......
    Charles Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Charles Bradley
    Bingo! A bad motor-scooter, he is.

Nope. Not at all. Zero recognition on a par with the Jacksons. This is not about a favourite, it is about commercial draw. Oh by the way, choreography, stagecraft, harmony, nope. Not against Charles, but he is a solo act of modest popularity, not a headliner

I always thought the Jacksons missed an opportunity following Michael's passing. They should have taken the 'This Is It' show on the road, using the same staging, dancers, costumes and musicians planned for the original show. Everything was in place for the brothers to pay a fitting tribute to the star.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post

A challenge!

I think the Temptations would still be excellent. Sorry you think my criticism is unduly harsh but i cannot pretend to be impressed by that performance. I am glad you enjoyed it , but i cannot agree with you. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Bingo! A bad motor-scooter, he is.
    BMS - love it! And the Glas crowd would love Bradley!

Who is Charles Bradley?

marv2 Charles Bradley is a Soul singer signed to New Yorks Dap tone Records he is an old time soul singer, who was a James Brown impersonator but now record his own material, there are a couple of albums released his latest includes a cover of Changes a black Sabbath tune [[ or ozzy Osborne ) there is also a movie documentary about him available, Dap Tone had Sharron Jones and the Dap kings on the label until her passing .

marv2 Charles Bradley is a Soul singer signed to New Yorks Dap tone Records he is an old time soul singer, who was a James Brown impersonator but now record his own material, there are a couple of albums released his latest includes a cover of Changes a black Sabbath tune [[ or ozzy Osborne ) there is also a movie documentary about him available, Dap Tone had Sharron Jones and the Dap kings on the label until her passing .
    This is creepy. I think I know him personally! LOL! No kidding. From my barbershop on Long Island. He use to do a James Brown tribute act right?

There is a link to his latest CD cover marv2 is it the same guy ?

There is a link to his latest CD cover marv2 is it the same guy ?
    That sure does look like him. He use to come into the barber shop down the street from my house. I only went there temporary until my regular shop re-opened. All of the barbers knew him and talked to him about his "James Brown" shows in the city. He had rehearsal equipment like mics, speakers etc at the shop. I did not pay much attention to him. Just thought he was a local guy earning some money on the side.

Great News! just chatting with a mate I worked with at Radio City, who is now at Jazz FM, The Jackson's Set from Glastonbury is just getting the sound remixed, and the BBC Video will be soon replaced!

Great News! just chatting with a mate I worked with at Radio City, who is now at Jazz FM, The Jackson's Set from Glastonbury is just getting the sound remixed, and the BBC Video will be soon replaced!
    Hopefully that will be the vast improvement we are all looking for.

Good to hear. They were clearly having sound problems for the first half as they were making gestures, indicating as such and looking offstage.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Do report back about Barry Gibb - his recent LP was quite good [[in fact, parts excellent)
    Barry went down brilliantly with the crowd. His vocals aren't what they were and his brothers' unique harmonies were missed, of course, but it was still a great show.

The sound was awful for the Jacksons.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Barry went down brilliantly with the crowd. His vocals aren't what they were and his brothers' unique harmonies were missed, of cours
    The sound was awful for the Jacksons.
    Barry did indeed get the crowd going. As you rightly point out his vocals are not quite what they were but the crowd didn't seem to mind one little bit. He thoroughly enjoyed himself and it was one of the highlights of the festival.

I saw Barry Gibb's set and it was ok. It could never be the same or as good without his brothers just as the Jackson's without Michael.