[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson UK tour 2017

Last night Mary Wilson performed is a small Welsh seaside town called Porthcawl, I think it was an added on show as I only had notification 3weeks ago that it was happening, so I attended the show with expectations of it being a rehearsal for her Liverpool and London shows, and that's really what we got.
    Mary had her own backing singers Parnell and his wife, and musical director and the rest of the band were UK musicians. During a 90 minute set Mary delivered the 60s Supremes number ones [[ - where did our love go) and My world is empty without you, covers of you are so beautiful, I am changing, and closed with satisfaction/ Brown sugar
    But the highlight of the show was the 70s Supremes Stoned Love Floy Joy and River Deep Mountain High [[duet with Parnell) I have to say it was a really disjointed and rushed performance I have seen her many times over the years and this wasn't at her best but still really enjoyed the night and love that she received a standing ovation at the end of the show . Ms Wilson even met the fans after the show, unfortunately I didn't wait as I was driver and the other wanted to leave . The venue held around 400 people and it was around 2/3rds full

I'm surprised she performs 'Brown Sugar'. Does she not know it's about sex with and beating of female slaves [["Gold-coast slave ships bound for cotton fields", "Sold in a market down in New Orleans", "How come you taste so good, just like a Black girl should' and "Hear the women wailing just around midnight"?)
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 06-23-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Last night Mary Wilson performed is a small Welsh seaside town called Porthcawl, I think it was an added on show as I only had notification 3weeks ago that it was happening, so I attended the show with expectations of it being a rehearsal for her Liverpool and London shows, and that's really what we got.
    Mary had her own backing singers Parnell and his wife, and musical director and the rest of the band were UK musicians. During a 90 minute set Mary delivered the 60s Supremes number ones [[ - where did our love go) and My world is empty without you, covers of you are so beautiful, I am changing, and closed with satisfaction/ Brown sugar
    But the highlight of the show was the 70s Supremes Stoned Love Floy Joy and River Deep Mountain High [[duet with Parnell) I have to say it was a really disjointed and rushed performance I have seen her many times over the years and this wasn't at her best but still really enjoyed the night and love that she received a standing ovation at the end of the show . Ms Wilson even met the fans after the show, unfortunately I didn't wait as I was driver and the other wanted to leave . The venue held around 400 people and it was around 2/3rds full
    It was only added a couple of weeks ago which perhaps accounts for the poor attendance. I was invited but could not make it. Mary was indeed treating it more as a rehearsal for the larger upcoming shows of which i shall be attending both.

Hi Bluebrock if you get to speak to Ms Wilson I hope you tell her that we appreciate her coming to Perform in the UK and ask her to add more 70 s material. I hope you enjoy the shows

2/3 full is a small Welsh seaside town sounds pretty good to me! Nice that Mary went there

Dickiemint, nice review but Marys backup singer Parnell doesnt have a wife he is a lovely Gay gentleman whos married to a real nicce man. Parnell has a recurring role on Greanleaf on the OWN.

Fondly,

Roberta

Right you are, Roberta. He jokingly calls Lucy his "stage wife"/"work wife", which is probably where the confusion started. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Right you are, Roberta. He jokingly calls Lucy his "stage wife"/"work wife", which is probably where the confusion started. lol.
    That's cute - thanks to you and Ms. Roberta for this info!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    LOL i have a work husband whos gay but i love him and we hang out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    That's cute - thanks to you and Ms. Roberta for this info!
    Welcome my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

I am happy to hear Mary has added Stoned Love back to her setlist. Go Mary!

The Day has finally come

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am happy to hear Mary has added Stoned Love back to her setlist. Go Mary!
    Yes tonight Mathew............. I'm Gonna...............

See Martha Reeves & Mary Wilson live on stage in London.

Can't wait

Sorry all those who couldn't make it, I will try to capture the moments. Not convinced that they will ever appear on stage together [[at the same time I mean)

I will probably get evicted from The London Palladium [[that would be a first)

Hope the rehearsals went well?

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    Yes tonight Mathew............. I'm Gonna...............

See Martha Reeves & Mary Wilson live on stage in London.

Can't wait

Sorry all those who couldn't make it, I will try to capture the moments. Not convinced that they will ever appear on stage together [[at the same time I mean)

I will probably get evicted from The London Palladium [[that would be a first)

Hope the rehearsals went well?
    I've seen Mary and Martha together on stage. A long time ago, in Manchester, Mary decided to join the backgrounds and she sang along to Martha's songs. It was a fun time. The crowd LOVED it.

Mary and Martha toured together with Edwin Starr for his first Dancing in the Streets shows they appeared together on stage on that tour and sang Floy Joy and on other songs all 3interchanged on stage And the finale they all sung Anit no mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Dickiemint, nice review but Marys backup singer Parnell doesnt have a wife he is a lovely Gay gentleman whos married to a real nicce man. Parnell has a recurring role on Greanleaf on the OWN.
    Here's a link to an article on Parnell. He's carving out a nice little showbiz niche for himself.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/deser...work/86835034/

Ms Wilsen is in a difficult spot. Almost none of the hit songs she "sings" is associated with her voice. And, it never sounds as good.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Here's a link to an article on Parnell. He's carving out a nice little showbiz niche for himself.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/deser...work/86835034/
    Thank u BigAl thats a real nice article on Parnell. Ive met Parnel a few times over the years and met his husband Michael once and there both real sweet and gracious and lovely men.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Ms Wilsen is in a difficult spot. Almost none of the hit songs she "sings" is associated with her voice. And, it never sounds as good.
    According to whom?

Mary and Martha toured together with Edwin Starr for his first Dancing in the Streets shows they appeared together on stage on that tour and sang Floy Joy and on other songs all 3interchanged on stage And the finale they all sung Anit no mountain
    That was when I saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    That was when I saw them.
    That would have been around early 2000. I've seen video of one of those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    2/3 full is a small Welsh seaside town sounds pretty good to me! Nice that Mary went there
    Of only 400 people? Doesn't sound too good to me. I'm glad she is able to keep working but this is a really small audience.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 06-25-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Of only 400 people? Doesn't sound too good to me. I'm glad she is able to keep working but this is a really small audience.
    Mary Wilson is great. She's playing the London Palladium tonight! She's a legend of the stage for over 50 years now. No offense to Porthcawl, but it was most likely a warm up for tonight.

You do know this was a last minute engagement. As stated above, this was more of a rehearsal to the bigger shows

I still say 2/3 full-AND a late scheduled engagement is quite good[[but I know your intent). Dionne Warwick appearing near me in a park in July. Will tell you how many people came. Regardless she is a great artist.

In fairness to Mary the show was a late addition and was only locally advertised for around 1 week prior to the show, and was likely treated as a rehearsal for the show in London last night which was filmed for transmission later this summer

Why do we pick people apart? If you can't say something positive, why stay anything at all? Good luck to Mary Wilson, and if the tiny town of Porthcawl can produce an audience of 400, that is magnificent. And great for the people of Porthcawl, who benefited greatly from this good situation. Bills have to be paid, performances have to be honed, and this is a business after all. I think she is a trouper.

[QUOTE=MIKEW
    Well put, Mike...and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    In fairness to Mary the show was a late addition and was only locally advertised for around 1 week prior to the show, and was likely treated as a rehearsal for the show in London last night which was filmed for transmission later this summer
    Well that makes since. I wasn't putting Mary down. I was only wondering why she couldn't sell out a 400 seat venue. I wish her and all former members of the Supremes continuous success.

Oh please; Great post Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Oh please; Great post Mike!
    Yes. Great post. Remember it when it comes to Diana Ross too!!

Yes. Great post. Remember it when it comes to Diana Ross too!!
    Yes indeed, and don't rule out Diana finally playing on the Legends stage at Glastonbury in 2019. Negotiations are continuing.

Well that makes since. I wasn't putting Mary down. I was only wondering why she couldn't sell out a 400 seat venue. I wish her and all former members of the Supremes continuous success.
    I didn't think you were for one moment. Mary knew her Palladium show would be shown on national TV at a later date, so she wanted to have a trial run at a smaller more intimate venue. She was staying nearby so it did not involve much travelling.

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas & Mary Wilson @ The London Palladium on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I didn't think you were for one moment. Mary knew her Palladium show would be shown on national TV at a later date, so she wanted to have a trial run at a smaller more intimate venue. She was staying nearby so it did not involve much travelling.
    I thought that the whole show was great, superb performances by all involved

Lester did you go to the taping give us a run down if so thanks in advance