[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: My first time

My first time

No marv,144,stu,jerry-this is a family show[hehe]now when was the first time that you operated a computer?for me it was[1984]at my job and i was kind of intimidated and bored..there was no internet then and all i got was the work program.

I bought a Commodore Amiga in the mid-80s to help with college. It took forever to boot up and the word processor was pretty weak. We used computers in community college that worked with floppy discs but they were more for teaching us how to program using BASIC. I also used a computer to learn how to set type that any $129 laptop could outperform in 2017. I first used the internet on my job in 1996 and bought my first home PC a year later. Now that I'm retired, there's not a day that passes without me being on line.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    No marv,144,stu,jerry-this is a family show[hehe]now when was the first time that you operated a computer?for me it was[1984]at my job and i was kind of intimidated and bored..there was no internet then and all i got was the work program.
    For me it would have been back around 1982 but only to sign in on my job. I used one regularly in 1984 as a part of work. I used the internet for the first time in late 1995.

I think that I fit the description of an early computer geek. I was about 5 years old and had a Commodore Vic-20. I remember typing out BASIC programs out of books and magazines. And the fun of programs on cassette tape rather than disc. Happy days, lol!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  21.1 KB
    I first used a computer in graduate school at The U. of British Columbia in 1969-70. It was a giant main-frame computer that took punch cards. I used one in 1971 at UCLA. Both were giant rectangular metal boxes, which broke down from overheating in afternoons, when The Sun shone directly on them. We used Fortran, Cobol and APL.

I quit my old field as a civil engineer, environmental planner and economics consultant in 1988, just when personal computers were starting up. I did use DOSS. I remember having had to learn a ridiculous amount of codes to perform tasks. Luckily, my change to cartooning meant [[at that time) that I wouldn't need to use computers. I didn't get my own home personal computer until 1998. I first used The Internet in early 1994, using a computer at my local library [[in USA, The Netherlands, Germany and Denmark). I joined Soulful Detroit in 2001. I've used Apple computers since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  21.1 KB
    I first used a computer in graduate school at The U. of British Columbia in 1969-70. It was a giant main-frame computer that took punch cards. I used one in 1971 at UCLA. Both were giant rectangular metal boxes, which broke down from overheating in afternoons, when The Sun shone directly on them. We used Fortran, Cobol and APL.

I quit my old field as a civil engineer, environmental planner and economics consultant in 1988, just when personal computers were starting up. I did use DOSS. I remember having had to learn a ridiculous amount of codes to perform tasks. Luckily, my change to cartooning meant [[at that time) that I wouldn't need to use computers. I didn't get my own home personal computer until 1998. I first used The Internet in early 1994, using a computer at my local library [[in USA, The Netherlands, Germany and Denmark). I joined Soulful Detroit in 2001. I've used Apple computers since 2001.
    I remember the punch cards and then those big, big floppy discs. LOL!

I had a punch card computer that I used in a typography class in 1985. It programmed a machine that printed out lines of type on a string of paper about three inches wide. Somehow, I must have set the type for 120 points instead of 12 points and instead of getting a print out that was four feet or so, I got one that ran on for 40 feet and it couldn't be stopped once it began printing. Thankfully, my teacher wasn't in the class room when it started to spool all over the floor.

Things were much different back then...

My entire goal in life was to sleep through the "computer age" and here I am...I have used computers in business since the 80's, and with quasi computer equipment that I used when I was doing radio broadcasting and had to use equipment to produce my actualities and sound bites from the late 70's...Today in radio and music, unlike the 60's&70's, computers are essential and sadly in some cases...new music is created virtually by computers with less and less human creativity involved IMO...