[REMOVE ADS]

Willie Hutch "Havin' A House Party/Making A Game Out Of Love" 2CD remaster with bonus

Willie Hutch "Havin' A House Party/Making A Game Out Of Love" 2CD remaster with bonus tracks - 8/18/2017

SoulMusic Records is very proud to present the first worldwide reissue of two classic Motown albums [[as expanded editions with bonus tracks) by renowned singer/songwriter and producer, the late Willie Hutch as a 2-CD set, remastered by Donald Cleveland.

HAVIN' A HOUSE PARTY was Willie's seventh album for Motown; the L.A.-born, Texas-raised music man - who had enjoyed success as a songwriter for The 5th Dimension and Al Wilson among others and who had also recorded for RCA - signed with the label in 1973 after writing The Jackson 5's hit, 'I'll Be There' and Willie's initial success came with Motown soundtracks "The Mack" and "Foxy Brown" with charted singles such as 'Brother's Gonna Work It Out' and 'Slick'; his biggest US R&B hit was 1975's 'Love Power'.

Released in 1977, Willie's self-produced HAVIN' A HOUSE PARTY LP [[a US R&B Top 30 best seller) boasted two charted singles [['We Gonna Party Tonight' and 'What You Gonna Do After The Party'), after which he signed with Whitfield Records [[hitmaker Norman Whitfield's label). . Willie returned to Motown in 1982 with the infectious 'In And Out', a US R&B and dance hit and his sole British chart entry and popular club track in the UK.

Notes by renowned US writer Kevin Goins include quotes from Iris Gordy, various musicians and others associated with Willie.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    1. Willie's Boogie
    2. We Gonna Have A House Party
    3. What You Gonna Do After The Party
    4. I Can Sho' Give You Love
    5. I Never Had It So Good
    6. We Gonna Party Tonight
    7. After Love Is Gone
    8. Soul Strut
    9. Train Of Love
    10. We Gonna Have A House Party [[US Motown Single Edit)
    11. We Gonna Party Tonight [[US Motown Single Edit)

[CD2]
    1. She's Making A Game Out Of Love
    2. Super Sexy
    3. The Very Best Of Love
    4. The Glow
    5. Don't Act Like That
    6. Sexy Feelin'
    7. Always
    8. Keep On Jammin'
    9. Inside You - Willie Hutch with The Temptations
    10. In & Out [[US Motown Non-Album Single)
    11. The Girl [[Can't Help It) [[US Motown Non-Album B-Side)
    12. The Glow [[Special US 12" Version)
    13. Keep On Jammin' [[Extended Version)
    14. In And Out [[US 12" Version)
    Amazon USA
    Available soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Z793K9/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072Z793K9/?tag=imwan-21

OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!! YAS!!! Fantastic news, thank you Eddie. I was listening to Willie's Making A Game Out Of Love just today as well. How wonderful!

BTW, I didn't even know "In And Out" was released with a non-album B-Side [["The Girl Can't Help It") which I shall have to check out immediately!

May I say, Eddie, thank you so much for these two sets of wonderful news.

Havin' A House Party / Making A Game Out Of Love
    Amazon UK release date 18th August.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072Z793K9/?tag=imwan-21

Excellent news, I love his Motown lps.

Look what I found while browsing Amazon....

Name:  IMG_6230.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  49.0 KB

... the cover art!!!!!!!

It looks fantastic!

"Havin' a House Party" is one of my favorite albums by Willie Hutch. Looking forward to this. Not very familiar with the complete "Making a Game Out of Love" album. Remember the single "In and Out" well.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    "Havin' a House Party" is one of my favorite albums by Willie Hutch. Looking forward to this. Not very familiar with the complete "Making a Game Out of Love" album. Remember the single "In and Out" well.
    Hey blkfrost, Willie's Making A Game Out Of Love album was his last for Motown, released in 1985. The production is typical of that mid-'80s period but it's still great. There are some really nice groovy mid-tempo numbers on there, and also some good synthy-funky tracks too.

Willie had two tracks featured in the 1985 film The Last Dragon, both of which are in the album too... that's "The Glow" and "Inside You"... interestingly they're [[good but) nowhere near the best songs on the LP in my opinion.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-07-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Here's the funky title track from the album...

Here is the delightful "The Very Best Of Love"...

BEWARE: this is VERY GROOVY

FUNKINESS guaranteed... something of a club hit too I believe...

And then there's this absolutely lovely ballad!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey blkfrost, Willie's Making A Game Out Of Love album was his last for Motown, released in 1985. The production is typical of that mid-'80s but it's still great. There are some really nice groovy mid-tempo numbers on there, and also some good synthy-funky tracks too.

Willie had two tracks featured in the 1985 film The Last Dragon, both of which are in the album too... that's "The Glow" and "Inside You"... interestingly they're [[good but) nowhere near the best songs on the LP in my opinion.
    Thank you for posting. The tracks you included are wonderful. I do not know how I missed this album. Cannot wait until August.

Thank you for posting. The tracks you included are wonderful. I do not know how I missed this album. Cannot wait until August.
    Yes thanks Tom for posting them tracks 1st time I've heard really good looks like another CD to add to my wish list.

Absolutely no worries blkfrost... yes, they are indeed excellent! And, yes, I can't wait either!!!!!!

Here is the delightful "The Very Best Of Love"...

Oh my I'm not sure how I missed this... 'Billie Hutch'... LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Yes thanks Tom for posting them tracks 1st time I've heard really good looks like another CD to add to my wish list.
    Hey, you're welcome, Paul!! I liked them the first time I heard them but they've grown on me too.

Yes, those wish lists just keep gettin' longer, LOL

Oh, wow, I forgot that Willie does an amazing half-rap thing on this one... ignore my previous post on how this isn't very good, it's actually very excellent!

"Don't Act Like That"...!

Funkaaayy tune!

Well, I'm not quite sure why, but my CD of this actually arrived today, a day early!!! Yay

Just downloaded it onto the ol' iPod and I'm loving it! Both albums are great and I probably couldn't pick a favourite. And, while, I was burning the CDs to iTunes I was reminded of how talented Willie really was, as he wrote, produced and arranged every single track on both LPs.

Nearly forgot... I'm not quite sure how I managed this, but clearly I was so excited to get the damn thing open I actually broke the CD... twice... just the plastic though, not the disc, I really would have lost it then... but it's all OK now

I got my 2fer today.

I've never been that thrilled by Willie Hutch Motown albums. In fact, I consider there are so many other Motown albums that are much better than his, that I only rarely listen to any. This is just my opinion huh?

It had maybe been 10 years since I had not listened to HAVIN A HOUSE PARTY, and I've been quite pleased with it, to the point I gave it a repeated listening today.
    "I Never Had It So Good" is my favourite track. It has a kind of Stevie Wonder "You've Got It Bad Girl" -from TALKING BOOK- feeling to me.
    For that track only, the album would be worth getting. And the rest is quite good too.

While not exceptional, MAKING A GAME OUT OF LOVE is enjoyable, which is a good point for a mid 80s album.

I'm gonna put off the shelf the 2015 CONCERT IN BLUES / COLOR HER SUNSHINE cd release now..

Many thanks SoulMusic Records!

Btw, the mastering is excellent and the booklet presents, as always, the full size front and back artworks of the original LPs, plus liner notes and transcriptions of that of the original albums, and detailed discography and sources of the bonus tracks - with small pictures of the labels.

This release is a great one

JB
    Last edited by jbpintus; 08-22-2017 at 06:56 PM.

I am so happy that they are keeping Willie's music alive and available.

In my opinion these albums were overdue for reissue.I was surprised Soul Brother didn't remaster the entire catalog when they released Willie's first three solo projects in 2011.It seems they were only interested in his peak years, 1973-1975.I also heard about an unreleased album called "Coming From The Real Side" that's supposed to be languishing in the vaults.He supposedly completed it shortly before his contract expired.Given that David Nathan probably did the research for this project,it would be nice for him to tell us if he discovered an album master for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    I got my 2fer today.

I've never been that thrilled by Willie Hutch Motown albums. In fact, I consider there are so many other Motown albums that are much better than his, that I only rarely listen to any. This is just my opinion huh?

It had maybe been 10 years since I had not listened to HAVIN A HOUSE PARTY, and I've been quite pleased with it, to the point I gave it a repeated listening today.
    "I Never Had It So Good" is my favourite track. It has a kind of Stevie Wonder "You've Got It Bad Girl" -from TALKING BOOK- feeling to me.
    For that track only, the album would be worth getting. And the rest is quite good too.

While not exceptional, MAKING A GAME OUT OF LOVE is enjoyable, which is a good point for a mid 80s album.

I'm gonna put off the shelf the 2015 CONCERT IN BLUES / COLOR HER SUNSHINE cd release now..

Btw, the mastering is excellent and the booklet presents, as always, the full size front and back artworks of the original LPs, plus liner notes and transcriptions of that of the original albums, and detailed discography and sources of the bonus tracks - with small pictures of the labels.

JB
    Nice choices JB! Great to hear your thoughts on the albums.

I agree that Willie's music is often quite laidback and relaxed, not necessarily massively exciting, but still very excellent. Very groovy... yes, that's the word I'd probably use, lol

I've given the albums a good listen now and can say that both are fantastic! My favourite track from Havin' A House Party is probably "We Gonna Have A House Party" which is very funky and catchy, and great for a party! The production on the whole LP is wonderful, smooth, groovy, funky... check out "Willie's Boogie" for a fantastic instrumental example of that too...

Making A Game Out Of Love is very good too, despite being from the mid '80s...!! My favourites from that one are probably "Sexy Feelin" which is insanely groovy and brilliant and "Always" which is an absolutely fantastic and rather jazzy ballad!!

Anyways, thank you very much SoulMusic for this great release!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-01-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am so happy that they are keeping Willie's music alive and available.
    Yes indeed Marv!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    In my opinion these albums were overdue for reissue.I was surprised Soul Brother didn't remaster the entire catalog when they released Willie's first three solo projects in 2011.It seems they were only interested in his peak years, 1973-1975.I also heard about an unreleased album called "Coming From The Real Side" that's supposed to be languishing in the vaults.He supposedly completed it shortly before his contract expired.Given that David Nathan probably did the research for this project,it would be nice for him to tell us if he discovered an album master for that.
    Oh my, Quinn, that's so fantastic to hear! I do love a good unreleased album!!! Lol

Can I ask, where did you hear about the album? It's called Coming From The Real Side... and was recorded in 1977... yea?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-01-2017 at 10:07 PM.

I find I'm liking this set more than I expected to be honest - usually I stop mid 70's with Motown but have given this a few plays and have to say it's encouraged me to look out some of his other albums

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    I got my 2fer today.

JB
    For some reason Willie Hutch kind of passed me by. I never got into him and i don't really know why. I have bought a couple of compilation cd;s which are okay but they hardly jump on to my cd player. I am wondering whether i should invest in this release? I feel like i am missing out if so many people are raving about this release. Advice please my friends............

My source for the album info was a journalist whose name I can't remember who had an inside scoop on some contents in the archive.In 2004,I was trying to convince Harry Weinger to release Smokey Robinson's solo albums and Willie Hutch's albums,but was unsuccessful. UniversalMotown was a long way from projects like that at the time and wouldn't green light them.They had just did the J5 2fers a few years before and I thought it would be great for Smokey and Willie.You know the industry,it's bean counters and their bottom line!.The said title is supposed to be the one though Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    For some reason Willie Hutch kind of passed me by. I never got into him and i don't really know why. I have bought a couple of compilation cd;s which are okay but they hardly jump on to my cd player. I am wondering whether i should invest in this release? I feel like i am missing out if so many people are raving about this release. Advice please my friends............
    Blue,being a Willie Hutch fan I would say yes.He was an underrated genius and winded up at Motown at a time when Berry Gordy wanted to make movies,so this music didn't get the promotion it deserved.To hash out advice though,I would tell you to listen to samples and come to a conclusion.With the state of technology you don't have to make a "blind" purchase these days.Assure yourself and go for it my friend.Happy Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I find I'm liking this set more than I expected to be honest - usually I stop mid 70's with Motown but have given this a few plays and have to say it's encouraged me to look out some of his other albums
    Hey Paul, that's good to hear! I'd say it grows on you this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Bluebrock, I would have to say 'yes, go for it' if you are a fan of '70s/'80s soul/funk. I get what you mean though, Willie's stuff is more laidback and groovy, and doesn't necessarily jump out and grab you. I have read a post here before arguing that Havin' A House Party is Willie's best ever LP and you could certainly make that case. As Quinn says however, you can listen to the album before you buy on YouTube etc... however "We Gonna Have A House Party" which is IMO the best track on the LP isn't even available on YouTube so you'll just have to take my word for that one being good
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-03-2017 at 04:44 AM.

My source for the album info was a journalist whose name I can't remember who had an inside scoop on some contents in the archive.In 2004,I was trying to convince Harry Weinger to release Smokey Robinson's solo albums and Willie Hutch's albums,but was unsuccessful. UniversalMotown was a long way from projects like that at the time and wouldn't green light them.They had just did the J5 2fers a few years before and I thought it would be great for Smokey and Willie.You know the industry,it's bean counters and their bottom line!.The said title is supposed to be the one though Tom.
    Oh wow, thanks for explaining Quinn. Willie was pretty prolific and definitely in his stride in the mid/late 70s so I guess there's bound to be some unreleased stuff! Great to hear though.

Blue,being a Willie Hutch fan I would say yes.He was an underrated genius and winded up at Motown at a time when Berry Gordy wanted to make movies,so this music didn't get the promotion it deserved.To hash out advice though,I would tell you to listen to samples and come to a conclusion.With the state of technology you don't have to make a "blind" purchase these days.Assure yourself and go for it my friend.Happy Hunting.
    Thank you for the advice Quinn. I bought a UK compilation on expansion records a few years ago, and years before that a Motown compilation released in the 90's. I remember playing them but they made little impression upon me. Perhaps i should dig out those cd;s and give them a spin again, and then decide what to do about this new set. I almost feel obliged to buy it because David Nathan is a friend of mine and i try to support all his releases.

Bluebrock, I would have to say 'yes, go for it' if you are a fan of '70s/'80s soul/funk. I get what you mean though, Willie's stuff is more laidback and groovy, and doesn't necessarily jump out and grab you. I have read a post here before arguing that Havin' A House Party is Willie's best ever LP and you could certainly make that case. As Quinn says however, you can listen to the album before you buy on YouTube etc... however "We Gonna Have A House Party" which is IMO the best track on the LP isn't even available on YouTube so you'll just have to take my word for that one being good
    Thank you for that Tom. i am indeed a fan of 70's/80's soul/funk so this should really be right up my street. Thank you again for the advice.I appreciate it.

I'm seriously annoyed with Amazon UK right now. I ordered that Willie Hutch CD back in mid-August. It said the expected date of delivery would be September 1. Now two weeks later and still haven't received it. I had a couple other orders I made that are now going well over a week past the expected delivery date. I've never had that kind of issue with them, I understand it takes longer to ship to Canada, but almost everything I've ordered from the UK took no more than a week and a half to two weeks [[or in one case, a record three days!!) A month is unacceptable. I sent them an email explaining the issue, I hope it will be resolved.

Willie Hutch CDs [[Motown albums)
    Attachment 13460