[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda Holloway "Spellbound: Rare And Unreleased Motown Gems" 2CD set - 8/18/2018

Brenda Holloway "Spellbound: Rare And Unreleased Motown Gems" 2CD set - 8/18/2017

Description
    SoulMusic Records is very proud to present a sumptuous 33-track 2-CD set of classic recordings by the legendary Brenda Holloway drawn from Motown’s vaults and recorded between 1963-66.

SPELLBOUND has been compiled and produced by longtime Motown expert Paul Nixon, responsible for the successful “Cellarful Of Motown” series, who has carefully selected the tracks on this superb compilation by one of Motown’s most soulful singers. Included here are nine previously unreleased tracks along with rare cuts that have only been available digitally.

California-born Brenda Holloway became the first West Coast-based artist signed to Motown in 1963; within one year, she achieved US national success with the now-timeless classic, ‘Every Little Bit Hurts’; Brenda’s five further charted singles included ‘When I’m Gone’, ‘Just Look What You’ve Done’ and ‘You’ve Made Me So Very Happy’ [[a song she co-wrote, later recorded by pop/rock group Blood, Sweat & Tears).

Although Motown only issued one LP, Brenda recorded prolifically for the label, with literally dozens of tracks remaining in the vast Motown vaults until producer Nixon began including tracks on various reissues. SPELLBOUND features two tracks cut in 1963, 23 in 1964 and eight in 1966; producers included Marc Gordon & Hal Davis, Frank Wilson, Johnny Bristol & Harvey Fuqua, Ivy Jo Hunter, Brian Holland & Lamont Dozier, Norman Whitfield, Mickey Stevenson and William Weatherspoon with material written by, among others, Sylvia Moy, Billy Page, Jimmy Webb, Janie Bradford and the Lewis Sisters.

Notes by renowned UK Motown historian and writer Sharon Davis include 2017 quotes from Brenda along with an essay by producer Nixon; and stellar remastering by Nick Robbins.

Tracklist
    [CD1: The Star]
    1. Deep Freeze
    2. There’s Something On Your Mind
    3. Today I Sing The Blues
    4. Strange Things
    5. Don’t Compare Me With Her
    6. Why Don’t You Tell The Truth
    7. Baby It Is You
    8. I Don’t Want Anybody Perfect
    9. Just Loving You
    10. Lucky My Boy
    11. The Star
    12. This Time Last Summer
    13. You Go Your Way And I’ll Go Mine
    14. Don’t Stay Away
    15. I’m The Exception To The Rule
    16. I Still Get Butterflies
    17. Can’t You Hear Me Knocking

[CD2: You Are My Chosen One]
    1. Can’t Hold The Feeling Back *
    2. Girl On The Run *
    3. Have A Little Talk With Myself *
    4. I Feel Your Love Growin’ On Me *
    5. I’m Giving Up
    6. I’m Spellbound
    7. The Lonely Heart And Lonely Eyes Of Lonely Me
    8. What Good Am I Without You
    9. It’s Going All The Way To True True Love *
    10. Whenever You Need Me
    11. You Got A Little Of Everything
    12. You Are My Chosen One *
    13. My Precious Dreams *
    14. Without Love You Lose A Good Feelin’
    15. What Have I Done To Myself *
    16. The Land Of Make Believe *

* Previously Unreleased

Amazon USA
    Available soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072ZF3TPF/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072ZF3TPF/?tag=imwan-21
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 06-22-2017 at 05:06 AM.

This is great news, but fear not kids - the release date is 2017 not 2018!

I do wonder why they're using the same title as the Vandellas' collection, but I guess each has a song called "Spellbound" [[or something close to it, anyway).

But fantastic news! Hopefully the pace of releases will pick up again!

Ooooooooohhhhhh..... wonderful! Brenda has so much unreleased Motown stuff!!! Thanks for the info, Eddie.

By the way, the tracks marked with an astrix are 'previously unreleased' -- does this mean unreleased on CD? I think I saw some of those tracks on Motown Unreleased 1966 but that was in digital download format only.

Excellent news! Just saved this to my watch list on Dusty Groove. Made my day.

The 9 marked * are supposed to be all previously unreleased but 3 of them are already available on digital download.

1. Can’t Hold The Feeling Back *
    4. I Feel Your Love Growin’ On Me *
    13. My Precious Dreams *

Also already released digitally is

15. What Have I Done To Myself *

which like

13. My Precious Dreams

were included in the Motown 1965 downloads.

And before I forget, thank you, thank you thank you, David Nathan and Paul Nixon.
    I hope that this is so successful that it is but a few moments before we 'blink' and there is a much clamored for set by another Motown
    Californian.

Great news! I love Brenda. This should be a worthwhile set.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    This is great news, but fear not kids - the release date is 2017 not 2018!

I do wonder why they're using the same title as the Vandellas' collection, but I guess each has a song called "Spellbound" [[or something close to it, anyway).

But fantastic news! Hopefully the pace of releases will pick up again!
    I wondered the same thing myself about the title of the new Brenda Holloway collection since it shares the name of the Martha Reeves & the Vandellas collection Spellbound. And yes, the release date is 2017 [[not 2018).

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Ooooooooohhhhhh..... wonderful! Brenda has so much unreleased Motown stuff!!! Thanks for the info, Eddie.

By the way, the tracks marked with an astrix are 'previously unreleased' -- does this mean unreleased on CD? I think I saw some of those tracks on Motown Unreleased 1966 but that was in digital download format only.
    Many of the tracks on here have seen the light of day as digital downloads and obviously events during the timeline of the production of a CD can overtake you. However when this set was originally conceived it was decided that there are still a lot of people who want tangible physical product and so the inclusion of the best of the downloads seemed a proper thing to do. I also think some of the mixes on the Spellbound set are interesting.
    Hopefully you guys will buy it and encourage SoulMusic Records to do even more.

Here's the front cover the Brenda Holloway's Spellbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Here's the front cover the Brenda Holloway's Spellbound.

Great shot supplied by the Rudy Calvo Collection

Great news adding to my wish list now. I'm one of those who prefers a CD over digital downloads many thanks.

Ordered today...mainly in the hope that Soul Music continue to work the Motown vaults/catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    And before I forget, thank you, thank you thank you, David Nathan and Paul Nixon.
    I hope that this is so successful that it is but a few moments before we 'blink' and there is a much clamored for set by another Motown
    Californian.
    CC you beat me to all the points you stated so well! But mostly thanks to Nathan and Nixon for their great work

FYI. I went into Amazon US and basically all I found out was that I could sign up to get an email when the item is available. No price, etc.

I went into Amazon UK and there you can pre-order it and it will be released 8/18/17. Price established there.

Bottom line: It pays to reside in the UK.

This came out of the blue. How exciting. Really glad to have some of the digital only tracks on physical CD.

Thanks to everyone involved in its release.

I hope 'The Land Of Make Believe' is the Bacharach/David composition. Love this song!

[QUOTE
    I hope 'The Land Of Make Believe' is the Bacharach/David composition. Love this song![/QUOTE]

I suspect it will be the version recorded by the Supremes in 1967 as it would fit in with that timeline. I have the DRATS version on the 'Never Before released Masters' cd and think it was intended for the never-released Disney album.

Whatever version, it will be good from Brenda, just ordered my copy as I always like to support any new 'Motown' related releases.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 06-22-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    [QUOTE
    I hope 'The Land Of Make Believe' is the Bacharach/David composition. Love this song!
    I suspect it will be the version recorded by the Supremes in 1967 as it would fit in with that timeline. I have the DRATS version on the 'Never Before released Masters' cd and think it was intended for the never-released Disney album...... [Quote]

I believe that and It's Going All The Way To True True Love were demo versions recorded by Brenda, as both were recorded in L.A.
    Funny thing about The Land of Make Believe is that DFTMC lists the Supremes version as being completed at Studio B on Aug 26, 1970.

Very helpful post. I doubt I would have found it otherwise. Many thanks.

[QUOTE=carole cucumber;393913]I suspect it will be the version recorded by the Supremes in 1967 as it would fit in with that timeline. I have the DRATS version on the 'Never Before released Masters' cd and think it was intended for the never-released Disney album......

I believe that and It's Going All The Way To True True Love were demo versions recorded by Brenda, as both were recorded in L.A.
    Funny thing about The Land of Make Believe is that DFTMC lists the Supremes version as being completed at Studio B on Aug 26, 1970.
    You're as cool as a cucumber with your suppositions Carole right on the spot in both cases. There are some alternate mixes on here as well and in the main all new to CD

This is a very exciting release as I have always loved Brenda's smooth [[and sexy) vocals.

Perhaps there could be a series of CD's titled Spellbound
    for different artists which contain unreleased material. We are all certainly spellbound while listening and loving the new material!

Now, if we could just get a surprise like this about Blinky!

Absolutely thrilled about this physical release! Thank you to Paul Nixon and David Nathan for compiling and releasing this one! LOVE the cover of the set--perfect font choices and layout. [[Please take note, Ace!)

I have all digital downloads but absolutely will spend my hard earned money on this kind of release AND anything by Brenda Holloway, one of my all-time favorites!

[QUOTE=carole cucumber;393913]I suspect it will be the version recorded by the Supremes in 1967[Quote

Shame. I can live without Brenda singing Disney.

[QUOTE=lakedistrictlad1;393947]
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I suspect it will be the version recorded by the Supremes in 1967[Quote

Shame. I can live without Brenda singing Disney.
    It's not a Disney song. It was written by Ron Miller and his wife Aurora. Published by Jobete. I love the song. Wondering if the track is the same as the one the Supremes used.

Yay, I'm excited we're getting more unreleased songs and also excited almost every download-only Brenda Holloway song from the Motown Unreleased series is coming out on CD! Now there's only three songs from the series you still need to download: "Each Little Teardrop," "Baby I've Got It" & "Keep Me."

Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    Yay, I'm excited we're getting more unreleased songs and also excited almost every download-only Brenda Holloway song from the Motown Unreleased series is coming out on CD! Now there's only three songs from the series you still need to download: "Each Little Teardrop," "Baby I've Got It" & "Keep Me."
    Perhaps Keith Hughes is planning to include one or more of the trio you list on future installments of the excellent Ace series 'Motown Girls'.

...so glad... Can’t Hold The Feeling Back ...is finally getting a CD release ...it's been hanging round youtube far too long without one...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69a4pOazFTY

I`m really looking forward to getting some more of Brenda Holloway`s work. I hope that the new songs were recorded at Hitsville as I am not a great fan of the LA Motown sound.

Damn. Nearly two long months to wait

It's both amazing and sad how many top-notch recordings Brenda Holloway recorded for Motown which only got relegated to the vaults. She worked really hard at Motown with only a handful of releases to show for it. Thank Heaven, over the past few years, this is slowly but surely being rectified. And this brand new 2-CD release from David Nathan, Paul Nixon, and Soul Music Records brings us even further in the right direction! I'm glad that Brenda is still alive and kicking to see the fruits of her hard-earned labor become a reality. Really good news, Motown Eddie! Thanks!

Given that Brenda would have presumably paid for these recordings to be made [[out of royalties) back in the day, I wonder whether she will suffer further deductions on the release of this set. Will she benefit fairly from this release?

I am just curious. What does the "blue dot with the letter S" that appears by some members' names represent? Thanks!
    Last edited by longtimefan; 06-25-2017 at 07:51 PM.

The Skype logo? It means that person is available to video chat with others on Skype...myself being one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    The Skype logo? It means that person is available to video chat with others on Skype...myself being one of those.
    Thanks, danman!!! I learn something new every day!

The release date is getting closer it's next month now......can't wait even I haven't see a copy yet