[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes 50th Anniversary

I was thinking that next January will be the Supremes' 50th Anniversary. I wonder if anything is in the works? But then again, with the lack of things that went on during Motown's 50th...maybe not. For their 25th Anniversary, a 2 CD set was released. Maybe Universal could release a nice box-set of DVD's, containing concerts, TV appearances, etc.? It would be nice...

I would at least like to see a handful of 60's Supremes releases. Maybe we could get "A Bit Of Liverpool", "We Remember Sam Cooke", Sing Country, Western and Pop", "More Hits" and "At The Copa" remastered and released at the same time. Speed up the releases a tad.

smark21 Guest
    Well whatever is released, I hope rarities like Baby Love and Stop in the name of Love will be included.

The old jokes are still the best.....it's amazing how some mature with age yet still remain as current and fresh today as they were some 40 odd years ago.

jonc Guest
    I bet Marv's "Motown 50th Anniversary Network TV Special" has lots of Supremes clips. Hopefully Marv's "hush hush" network TV special will be released to concur with the Supremes 50th anniversary.

Jonc, you and I should do a Motown Special of our own. The trouble is, I don't think it is marketable anymore ~ not even if we get Midnite Johnny, Rick Bueche, and Andy in on it.

But I am sure there will be more Supremes and Diana Ross material released by Hip O. Andy will be doing his best and he knows it's an anniversary of import!

jonc Guest
    That's a great idea jobeterob but what if Marv bought all the video rights for his "hush hush" Motown Special.

There's an easy fix to that..........we'll just go to Mary!

I'm probably dreaming, but I would like to see all of the Supremes "novelty" LP's released as one CD set; "Sam Cooke", "Liverpool", "CW&P". It would make a nice two or three disc set, it could even include "Merry Christmas".

It would also be nice to finally have "TCB" and "GIT" see the light of day. How about the "Tarzan" episode or the "What's My Line" episodes? Heck, even a Volume 2 of "Reflections" would be nice.....I loved seeing all of those crystal clear performances.

On that note, wasn't there talk once of a 70's Supremes DVD? I'd LOVE for something like that to be available.

Ultimately, I put a lot of trust into Andy; he's never failed us yet, and Rob is right; if anyone knows how big 2011 is to Supremes fans, it's Mr. Andy. I have a feeling it could be a very 'supreme' year.....heck, it's 50 years in the making!

And on a totally different note, can I tell you how much more enjoyable SDF/Motown Topics is with the "Ignore User" feature?

I'd be happy to get Funny Girl and On Broadway next year so we can finally have had all the Ross era albums released on CD, even though it took 25 years.....

I think at one time there was also talk of the "Disney" release.

Or how about "Live Live Live"; featuring perfomances from the second Copa gig and sets from the Roostertail?

Am I dreaming?

i am with you Mary Brewster...a live set sounds good but TCB on dvd! wow that would be cool also

The novelty album set is a good idea especially if they could be expanded - but why not re-release the 25th set on CD because that's really hard to get hold of...repackaged and expanded of course

Paul,
    I assume you mean disc 2 [[only) of the 25th anniversary set. Disc 1 would only be an umpteenth rehash of the same ol' same ol'.

I think there was a Diana Ross DVD set to be released but there were issues with licensing; I'm sure it's on the burner somewhere - likely with the odd flare up.

I enjoyed the 25th Anniversary alot; but I'm not sure "all the hits" could be made interesting again unless there are even MORE edits of them out there. I think that album is where I learned to like It's All Your Fault and Manhattan a lot.

Aside from the music, I'd like to see dvd's released for TCB & On Broadway. Complete with outakes and behind the scenes/rehearsal footage.... sorry, just dreaming again.

Another DVD release that is LONG overdue is "In the Orient". How I'd LOVE to see a clear copy of that, with bonus footage and extras, of course.

I totally agree with all the suggestions here. TCB and GIT will only be about 40 years later for us Brits but at least all of us are in the same boat with the Orient!

I like that idea of Live Live Live and Disney too.

A newspaper piece from February 65 ........
    Attachment 297
    Have all of their 'Shindig' appearances made it onto DVD ?

Maggie Thatcher made a career out of wearing those pearls.

I wonder if there is anyone collecting her video performances.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    A newspaper piece from February 65 ........
    Attachment 297
    Have all of their 'Shindig' appearances made it onto DVD ?
    I'd love to see them, if there are indeed six. Six appearances on SHINDIG! by early 1965 seems a bit high, especially since they only had three hits by then. I believe the Feb. 1965 appearance had STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE as the pick of the week. Maybe the article meant to say that it was their sixth national tv appearance in general.

I've only seen two SHINDIG! appearances. One was when they performed BABY LOVE and COME SEE ABOUT ME. The other was when they did YOU CAN'T DO THAT, EIGHT DAYS A WEEK, and STOP!

STOP! and BABY LOVE made it onto vhs when those SHINDIG! compilations were released.
    Last edited by reese; 08-12-2010 at 05:00 PM.

I heard news on a movie or tv-documentary on the life and music of Dennis Wilson to coincide with the Beach Boys' 50th Anniversary... in 2011.
    Some stiff competition for the girls!

Robbert

Not sure about the use of the word "stiff"!

C'mon John..........I think all the girls liked it very stiff. It just wasn't competition.

Im for a Diana dvd compilation including Aint No Mountain from Dick Clark,Love Hangover from Midnight Special,Touch me In The Morning from tonight show etc..

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Paul,
    I assume you mean disc 2 [[only) of the 25th anniversary set. Disc 1 would only be an umpteenth rehash of the same ol' same ol'.
    Sure Disc 2 that's what really needs republishing BUT record companies still need to make sure fire returns from the back catalogue that's why you still get greatest hits packages time and tme again and I for one would be happy to buy an updated version of the 25th set complete with Disc One if needs be.

Rob

I can see those two just ignored your very valued comment but I noted it loud and clear.

...........yeah and probably more "girls" than there are females!

*methinks, I am sure people must have a terrible opinion of me*

[B][I]Cough! Hack! Cough! Choke! Snort! Cough!............excuse me.......[[blush)

I have a cure for that...

*Fiendish grin*

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Sure Disc 2 that's what really needs republishing BUT record companies still need to make sure fire returns from the back catalogue that's why you still get greatest hits packages time and tme again and I for one would be happy to buy an updated version of the 25th set complete with Disc One if needs be.
    I was actually looking around for a copy of the 25th set on the internet last week. I wouldn't mind having this either. If they were to reissue it, I would buy it. Maybe they could call it "50th Anniversary" and add an extra disc of unreleased songs [[but I'm not sure if there's really much left in the vault anymore?) or a DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I was actually looking around for a copy of the 25th set on the internet last week. I wouldn't mind having this either. If they were to reissue it, I would buy it. Maybe they could call it "50th Anniversary" and add an extra disc of unreleased songs [[but I'm not sure if there's really much left in the vault anymore?) or a DVD.
    EXACTLY what I thought

I continue to hope that Expanded Editions of Supremes albums [[particularly More Hits, A Go-Go and Love Child) are planned and include songs from Disc 2 of the 25th Anniversary and the Never-Before-Released Masters as bonus tracks. [[We have already had a few added to Meet..., WDOLG, Merry Christmas and Rodgers & Hart.)

Another consideration is a CD with just the Motown-related songs from those collections. I can do without the standards, Disney and Christmas tunes. Although pleasant enough, they should be saved for genre-related releases.

Could this be the opportunity to release mono versions of the 60s albums? We've had the stereo 2fers so how about mono 2fers?

Eamonn

I am sure we will be getting both Stereo and Mono mixes of the albums:-)

You cant expand albums if theres nothing left in the vault to expand with..Hip O have told us theres nothing but live tracks,Disney and coca commercials left basically......Supremes fans have been very,very lucky to be treated to as much unreleased material as we have..the well is running dry,But Funny Girl and TV performance tracks on cd is not unreasonable..

I was so relieved that Carlo moved on and completely ignored the bait I gave John and which Elegant took up in such a manly way.

Nomis, is it true that Hip O have said there is nothing but Live Tracks and Disney? I wasn't sure it was quite so certain as that.

If they have anything around that can compare to the Excellent solo version of I Want A Guy that Diana does on Meet the Supremes.........I'll definitely take that.

Thanks again for those stories on the other thread Nomis and I hope you are doing OK.

And John and Elegant.......................I like you too but get back to your microphone, the essential word being "back"! One microphone, to SHARE!

The ignore button is the best mb--a very pleasant new world of SD!

Awk. Luke....dont ignore me. And what happened to Jimmy Mack...have you got rid of him?

Which syllable of the word 'stiff' is it you don't get, dear John?

What don't I get?

I don't get enough of it.

It's hard to believe it's been 50 years already. Boy how time flies......