[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations - A Broadway Musical???

A movie and now a Broadway play about my group The Temptations is great news. They deserve it and what a great way to continue their legacy.

I'm In! If the planned The Temptations hits Broadway, I'll go see it. Thanks Thommg for the news.

[QUOTE=thommg;391380]Just saw this online:
    [url]http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Aint

Wow, this is going to be produced by the same guys that did Jersey Boys. We are in for a wonderful musical treat. Jersey Boys on Broadway, all of Frankie Valli and the Fours Season's music was phenomenal! I look forward to seeing my favorite group of all time story on Broadway with all of their music!!

[QUOTE=nysister;391449]
    Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Just saw this online:

Wow, this is going to be produced by the same guys that did Jersey Boys. We are in for a wonderful musical treat. Jersey Boys on Broadway, all of Frankie Valli and the Fours Season's music was phenomenal! I look forward to seeing my favorite group of all time story on Broadway with all of their music!!
    I am amazed by all of the younger people that are now familiar with The Temptations just from the movie. This is going to take them to another level!

Well when it gets done hope it comes to the UK.
    Don't recall them showing The Temptations movie over here, had to buy the DVD.

I really hope they make a number based on the "Ain't nobody comin' to see you, Otis" line from the movie!

I wish they would do a Broadway musical based on Diana Ross & The Supremes!

Oh, hold up - - - I think they kinda, sort of did....LOL

I wonder how deep into the Temptations true story the play will delve. The movie was fine as an overview and television entertainment,but as we know it to huge liberties with the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I wonder how deep into the Temptations true story the play will delve. The movie was fine as an overview and television entertainment,but as we know it to huge liberties with the truth.
    Marv will we ever get the truth? as the truth usually gets distorted over time and we're left to make our own minds up. However it's still a great story to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Marv will we ever get the truth? as the truth usually gets distorted over time and we're left to make our own minds up. However it's still a great story to tell.
    I agree that we may never have the truth out there for public consumption. The truth in the case of the Temptations and Motown in general is very harsh, rough and rougher [[Heck they were from Detroit! LOL!). I would settle for accuracy as in who was in the group, who sang what, make Detroit the backdrop etc,etc.

The truth sometimes does get distorted over time but fortunately, there are still quite a few people living in the Detroit area that know the truth and all of the ugly details.

This hopefully will turn out awesome. I would go to NY. I just wonder what year it will go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    This hopefully will turn out awesome. I would go to NY. I just wonder what year it will go to.
    I think so too Luciano. I think that even we will be surprised at how well this show will be received. One year at a time.......LOL!

I think so too Luciano. I think that even we will be surprised at how well this show will be received. One year at a time.......LOL!
    Marv, From reading the article it should start at the beginning of The Temptations story. I wonder until what year they will mainly focus up to?

We'll have to wait to wait until The Temptation's musical comes out to see how much truth will come out. I predict that it will closely follow the outline of Otis Williams' book, Temptations [[with some updates to bring the story into the present day). And remember, The Motown Musical was pretty much based on Berry Gordy's book, To Be Loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Marv, From reading the article it should start at the beginning of The Temptations story. I wonder until what year they will mainly focus up to?
    I am going to guess the show will run somewhere between 90 mins and 2 hours so they will get right into it and start around 1963 when Al was still in the group and before they had their first national hit record. I would that the mention the merging of the two groups the Distants and the Primes.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    We'll have to wait to wait until The Temptation's musical comes out to see how much truth will come out. I predict that it will closely follow the outline of Otis Williams' book, Temptations [[with some updates to bring the story into the present day). And remember, The Motown Musical was pretty much based on Berry Gordy's book, To Be Loved.
    The one great thing is that Suzanne DePasse will not be involved in this and the plays producers will go harder than Otis and Suzanne did with the television movie. I'd like to see a bit more focus on Eddie and David and not have the whole story told from Otis' point of view.

Then again, we may just get a whole lot of singing and dancing and bright smiles. LOL!!!!

I read article in NY post and I think it said it will have open in California in a few months as a try out. Will check. How does it work that they can say it's Temptations story and they couldn't about Supremes? I assume it's because Otis owns the name and he's cooperating?

then again, we may just get a whole lot of singing and dancing and bright smiles. Lol!!!!
    marv,i can get that from just listening to my collection,i hope the play brings it stronger and keep ms dupass far,far,far away!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    marv,i can get that from just listening to my collection,i hope the play brings it stronger and keep ms dupass far,far,far away!!!
    Me too JAI. She does not seem to know, understand or even care about Motown's or it's artists histories.

I cannot imagine there are that many people willing to spend $150 a ticket to see a show about the Temptations' story.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I cannot imagine there are that many people willing to spend $150 a ticket to see a show about the Temptations' story.
    Well they paid that to see the Four Season's story and everyone knows the Temptation were a lot bigger than the Four Seasons!

Are you saying that because the Temptations are black?

I am going to guess the show will run somewhere between 90 mins and 2 hours.
    its real eerie and spot on that you predicted that cause every play ive been to has been between 90 mins and 2 hours. Do you see an intermision in that timeline?

I disagree. As others have posted, people were lining up for years to see The Four Seasons' musical Jersey Boys [[as well as The Motown Musical). Also remember that The Temptations' Mini Series from 1998 was a huge ratings hit. If the reviews for the Temptations Musical are good, I'll pay to see it.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 06-11-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Well, I saw Jersey Boys about 5 times across severaldifferent casts in London and the provinces, loved ‘em all. But a play about myfave group of all time The Tempts I’d kill for. With Jersey Boys’ productionvalues + Tempts’ music, jeeez I’d watch it every month for a year. But aren’tthey gonna need a slew of lead singers to capture Paul, Eddie, David, Dennis,Allie-Ollie? Get it right guys and it’s a sure-fire smash across allgenerations!

Yes indeed, Tony, that would be so great. I loved Motown The Musical but of course they didn't distinguish between the different line-ups or lead singers. If they could get it right with all those great [[and different) leads it would be amazing. And The Temptations' story is a great one to tell.

honest man Guest
    Are you saying that because the Temptations are black?
    OH Give me strength.What planet are you on.I would n't pay to see a stupid play about a group a tribute group at that,if Temptations play is anything like film crap,they can stick it.Full of lies and in inaccuracies ,but then it would be right up your street.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yes indeed, Tony, that would be so great. I loved Motown The Musical but of course they didn't distinguish between the different line-ups or lead singers. If they could get it right with all those great [[and different) leads it would be amazing. And The Temptations' story is a great one to tell.
    It would be Tom but if anything like Temptations Movie what a joke, would rather watch a documentary on them.cheers.

honest man Guest
    I am going to guess the show will run somewhere between 90 mins and 2 hours so they will get right into it and start around 1963 when Al was still in the group and before they had their first national hit record. I would that the mention the merging of the two groups the Distants and the Primes.
    Hmm are you involved with this project , if so maybe won't happen thankfully like your Project................ that never happened a few years back,interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    They have to care about the individuals that made up the story of the Temptations. It was not just one guy!

It appears that the story to be told is the story of the original 5 Temptations [[well, six if you count Elbridge Bryant). This from another website:

The show follows the group from their start in Detroit to their rise to fame, including the production of several hits for Motown. The musical will focus on the group’s “heydey” and not the latter years including drugs and internal turmoil. As Showbiz411‘s Roger Friedman reports: “While the plotline sounds similar to Broadway’s recent offering, Motown The Musical, the show will tell the story from the five musicians’ point of view, rather than from that of Motown legend Berry Gordy.”

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    It appears that the story to be told is the story of the original 5 Temptations [[well, six if you count Elbridge Bryant). This from another website:

The show follows the group from their start in Detroit to their rise to fame, including the production of several hits for Motown. The musical will focus on the group’s “heydey” and not the latter years including drugs and internal turmoil. As Showbiz411‘s Roger Friedman reports: “While the plotline sounds similar to Broadway’s recent offering, Motown The Musical, the show will tell the story from the five musicians’ point of view, rather than from that of Motown legend Berry Gordy.”
    Now that is great news. Thanks thommg!

[QUOTE=thommg;392657]It appears that the story to be told is the story of the original 5 Temptations [[well, six if you count Elbridge Bryant). This from another website:

The show follows the group from their start in Detroit to their rise to fame, including the production of several hits for Motown. The musical will focus on the group

I am so looking forward to seeing this production on Broadway!

A movie and now a Broadway play about my group The Temptations is great news. They deserve it and what a great way to continue their legacy.
    Update

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article...y-Rep-20170713

[QUOTE=thommg;391380]Just saw this online:

Here is an update
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Cast-Complete-for-New-Temptations-Musical-AINT-TOO-PROUD-at-Berkeley-Rep-20170713

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    This is awesome news! Thanks for sharing. Hope to see it once it gets to Broadway. Let's hope it turns out great and last as long as the Jersey Boys!

Me too JAI. She does not seem to know, understand or even care about Motown's or it's artists histories.
    She has proven that before.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg - the Temptations Musical is at Berkeley Rep and just extended there for 15 additional performances! Anyone going to see it??
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/articl...y-Rep-20170907

Good God - they have Diana Ross in a play about the Temptations? Seems a bit much like a blatant play for attention

Anyone interested in seeing the guys who play the Temptations in this show - here is a press release with photos of them from the production.
    http://www.playbill.com/article/get-...he-temptations

Here is a review of the show in Berkeley, CA. There are two videos with this piece that show bits of the creation, and features the actors singing in character. Much dancing is seen. Enjoy!

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/1...-berkeley-rep/

Well this post sure didn't age well. LOL! It's a Tony award winning Broadway hit!

What do folks here think of the album/CD? Not having seen the musical I was slightly bemused by "If You Don't Know Me By Now", plus the Marvin and Tammi tune.

Attachment 17527