[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit 67 - £3 in "The Works"

Copies of Stuart Cosgrove's excellent book "Detroit 67" are being sold in the book /stationary shop "The Works" for only £3.
    I asked a store assistant would the stock be available around the UK branches, and she said "should be"

Great bargain, great book. All about Detroit riots, Motown and other soul labels..in 1967.

A bargain at this price !!!

Thanks snakepit I'll keep a look out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Copies of Stuart Cosgrove's excellent book "Detroit 67" are being sold in the book /stationary shop "The Works" for only £3.
    I asked a store assistant would the stock be available around the UK branches, and she said "should be"

Great bargain, great book. All about Detroit riots, Motown and other soul labels..in 1967.
    Thanks for the tip Larry, I'll be off to the Burnley store tomorrow.
    Got to say my last music book purchase from there was very disappointing - Carole King's autobiography, A Natural Woman [[natch).
    I love those Goffin-King songs from the 60s and Tapestry is among my favourite albums. But a disproportionately small number of pages is devoted to those Brill Building years, with little in the way of how some of those great songs were created, while King's move to the wilds of Idaho after the Tapestry period is covered in minute detail.
    Had to get that off my chest.
    I've got to say, however, that it's very well written, it seems by Carole herself

Soulwally
    I appreciate your comments.
    The Carole King book was there too.. £3.
    Like you , I love the early New York 1650 Broadway recordings. In fact I saw the musical "Beautiful" on Broadway...and have tickets to see the show in Manchester in December.
    I had a quick look at the book, and the 1650/Brill Building period seemed very sparse. So I left it...sounds like a good decision.
    However, I would recommend "Always magic in the air" by Ken Emerson.
    Subtitled "the bomp and brilliance of the Brill Building era"
    It's a great read...all the stuff that is absent from Carole King's book.
    Got it cheap on Amazon 😉

thank you snakepit

Just bought a copy on-line via their web site ... £3 & I pick my copy up from their local store. GREAT !!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Just bought a copy on-line via their web site ... £3 & I pick my copy up from their local store. GREAT !!
    JS do you have a link for this great book ? I already have a copy but I'd like to send it to some friends. Thanks in advance !

Got it... thanks again Snake... but it cost me £6... because I also bought Carly Simon's autobiography while I was in there!!
    And you're right to point out that Goffin-King crafted their songs at 1650 Broadway, home of Aldon Music, rather than at the nearby Brill Building.
    You're right about the Ken Emerson book. I already have it and it's a superbly detailed read about those early 60s New York song factories.

Glad you got a copy.
    A few guys on Soul Source have bought copies too, The Works will be wondering what all the fuss is.

The link to buy the book on-line [[in the UK) ...
    ... https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/music-b.../9781846973666

Thanks JS !

this book sounds very interesting. I am still waiting on the book that covers how great living in Detroit before the riots and actually years after the riots before the economic downturn. Detroit is coming back from what I have personally witnessed. It may take some time for the neighborhoods to become renewed but Downtown is moving full steam ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    this book sounds very interesting.
    More than that Marv : this book is essential !

It's a fantastic review of all the things that happened in Detroit during that year, month by month, and Motown things are just a part of the whole thing.

It's very pleasant to read. I'm more accustomed to read american writers and in fact it's the first book written by an English that I had so much pleasure to read. Maybe because he's from Scotland ? [[just kidding my British friends/forumers !)

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post

Irritating...I paid full price for that. It was worth every penny though..

Same here 😥

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    More than that Marv : this book is essential !

It's a fantastic review of all the things that happened in Detroit during that year, month by month, and Motown things are just a part of the whole thing.

It's very pleasant to read. I'm more accustomed to read american writers and in fact it's the first book written by an English that I had so much pleasure to read. Maybe because he's from Scotland ? [[just kidding my British friends/forumers !)
    Sounds great. Maybe I should get a copy. I am always interested in what others that take a serious view of Detroit think of it and it's history.

Now sold out

Sounds great. Maybe I should get a copy. I am always interested in what others that take a serious view of Detroit think of it and it's history.
    Just had a look - all sold out

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    Just had a look - all sold out
    Darn it! Thanks Lester

Darn it! Thanks Lester
    I believe that offer was for UK residents only, and it was a paperback copy.

Marv, you can get it [[hardback copy)for $15.43 here : http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3023264...857&rmvSB=true

As said waynesville 'it's worth every penny".

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I believe that offer was for UK residents only, and it was a paperback copy.

Marv, you can get it [[hardback copy)for $15.43 here : http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3023264...857&rmvSB=true

As said waynesville 'it's worth every penny".
    Phil, thank you very much!

You're very welcome Marv ! I prefer by far hardback covers, even if they are more expensive.

And don't tell me about digital books !

Got my copy today for £3 thanks for the tip snakepit

My group, The Strides put together a show for the Federal Troops being housed at the State Fair Grounds during the 67 riots...It was cool playing in the same band shell I had seen The Temptations and Supremes perform at in previous years...I will say that the vibe around the city, especially the various clubs changed significantly after the riots in 67...

There are new copies for sale on Amazon marketplace [[U.K) for £3.
    Sorry I can't copy the link on my phone.