[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mary Wilson and Marvin Gaye

I hesitate to start this thread because some of you don't know how to discuss with maturity, but I'm going to take a chance and hope for the best.

In the Dennis Edwards shelved album thread it is mentioned that Marvin Gaye wanted to produce something for Mary Wilson:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Marvin Gaye was to produce Mary Wilson that same year but it never materialized due to Marvin being swamped with his own recording work.
    I wanted to pose the question in the thread but thought it was too off topic from Dennis. Do you all think this Marvin/Mary collab could have worked? I'm on the fence. I almost feel like anything would have been better than the abysmal debut album the label put out on Mary. But some of Marvin's late 70s work was kind of out there. Would he have tried to give Mary such a progressive sound or would he have tailored the songs to her talent? Marvin was such a classic balladeer and Mary was so great at ballads that I would like to think the match could have been heaven made. This is one of those scenarios that if done well it could have been classic, but if done wrong it could have been some of the worst music to come out of the label at the time. What do you all think?

Marvin,when inspired was second to none as a songwriter so i'm sure he would've given mary his best effort and she would've had a hit!

I'm not sure what a complete Marvin & Mary package would be like, but in my mind's ear, I can hear them duetting to "If This World Were Mine" and turning it into a smash. That's not to say that I picture the whole package as duets, but I think it would've had to have a more "classic" Marvin feel to it. Just my opinion...

I think he would have done a great job producing Mary. It would have been great if they could have done a duet on a song.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I hesitate to start this thread because some of you don't know how to discuss with maturity, but I'm going to take a chance and hope for the best.

In the Dennis Edwards shelved album thread it is mentioned that Marvin Gaye wanted to produce something for Mary Wilson:

I wanted to pose the question in the thread but thought it was too off topic from Dennis. Do you all think this Marvin/Mary collab could have worked? I'm on the fence. I almost feel like anything would have been better than the abysmal debut album the label put out on Mary. But some of Marvin's late 70s work was kind of out there. Would he have tried to give Mary such a progressive sound or would he have tailored the songs to her talent? Marvin was such a classic balladeer and Mary was so great at ballads that I would like to think the match could have been heaven made. This is one of those scenarios that if done well it could have been classic, but if done wrong it could have been some of the worst music to come out of the label at the time. What do you all think?
    It would have been interesting for sure and as you say anything , but anything would have been an improvement on that dreadful album that Motown forced Mary to record. I am not at all convinced that Mary had a great solo album in her at this stage. In my opinion her voice lacked that special something that a successful solo career needed. I am not trying to start ww3 here but i don't think she was ready for a solo career at this stage.
    I know Mary has often mentioned this possibility but are there any archive interviews with Marvin regarding this possible pairing? It would have been interesting to have heard his views on it.

There was NEVER going to be a Marvin Gaye produced lp on Mary Wilson.

First of all, Gordy wanted Mary and Pedro out of Motown. She had been a thorn in his side for too long. If Gaye had shown any interest in doing such an lp, which he didn't, BG would never have released it.

When Mary made this announcement on Mike Douglas, Gaye went straight to her home but she had already left on her last tour with Scherrie and Susaye. He made it known to Mary's secretary that he was not happy about this. Mary and Pedro did present the idea to him, he listened and was polite [[he was always a gentleman) but he never agreed to this.

In 1977 Marvin Gaye was on another peak with Got To Give It Up. After this however he sunk into an abyss of financial destruction and substance abuse and virtually disappeared from the music scene for years. Motown released a couple singles that did nothing and then an lp that Gaye said was unfinished. By 1980 he was through with Motown.

If Gaye would have done a solo lp on anybody it would have been on Ross, because she had sales power that Mary just didn't have. But he never would have done a Ross lp either.

I guess I'm the only one who likes Mary's debut lp. I thought it had some good moments but her Gus Dudgeon material was really worthy of release and was great material for her

I too find it impossible to believe that Marvin Gaye was ever considered to produce and LP for Ms. Wilsen. The idea is laughable.

I did buy Red Hot. I still am trying to get my money back.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...you ain't right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marvin,when inspired was second to none as a songwriter so i'm sure he would've given mary his best effort and she would've had a hit!
    True about Marvin as a songwriter. Best case scenario is him crafting something brilliant for Mary that would have jump started her solo career.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_sku View Post
    I'm not sure what a complete Marvin & Mary package would be like, but in my mind's ear, I can hear them duetting to "If This World Were Mine" and turning it into a smash. That's not to say that I picture the whole package as duets, but I think it would've had to have a more "classic" Marvin feel to it. Just my opinion...
    I don't think Marvin would have ever re-recorded as a duet anything he did with Tammi with any other woman. I could definitely hear them doing justice to "If This World Were Mine", if Marvin were willing to go there. But to your larger point, I think it would have to be a necessity that a duet be placed on the album. I've always thought Mary Wilson and Mary Wells had a similar sound. Always lots of talk about his chemistry with Tammi [[which was off the charts) but the way he meshed with Mary Wells is classic in it's own right. So I think Marvin and Mary Wilson could have made a magical duet pairing for a song.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 06-04-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I am not at all convinced that Mary had a great solo album in her at this stage. In my opinion her voice lacked that special something that a successful solo career needed.
    I have to disagree here Bluebrock. Like Diana when her time came, I think there came a time when Mary's talent outgrew a need for the group and that time was pretty much when Mary left. I do agree that her voice didn't have that certain something that set her sound apart from her contemporaries like Diana, Aretha, Gladys, Natalie, Donna, Dionne, all of whom you knew instantly the moment the ladies opened their mouths. But Mary had a way with a slow song that given the right song, the right lyrics, the right producer, and of course a serious promotional backing, she could have come out of the gate with hits. There is nothing similar in the voices of the two, but I think Mary could have easily done a lot of the stuff Phyllis Hyman was doing at the time.

Wasn't there talk of Marvin writing/producing an album on the Supremes around 1975?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    There was NEVER going to be a Marvin Gaye produced lp on Mary Wilson.

First of all, Gordy wanted Mary and Pedro out of Motown. She had been a thorn in his side for too long. If Gaye had shown any interest in doing such an lp, which he didn't, BG would never have released it.
    But Motown released an album on Mary anyway, so why would it matter if Marvin was involved or not?

Mary and Pedro did present the idea to him, he listened and was polite [[he was always a gentleman) but he never agreed to this.
    It seems strange to me that Pedro would have been involved with pitching this idea, considering the psyche of an abuser, and a paranoid one at that. I would think he wouldn't want Mary anywhere near Marvin, especially considering her documented crush on him, which I'm sure she found difficult to hide even in front of her husband.

If Gaye would have done a solo lp on anybody it would have been on Ross, because she had sales power that Mary just didn't have. But he never would have done a Ross lp either.
    This idea [[a Ross album) presents the same questions as I have for the Mary album. I think Marvin could have struck gold [[and of course so would Diana) if he had produced an album on her in the early to mid 70s. But by the late 70s I don't know if their match would have been great. But what a huge "could've been" moment to think what would have happened if Diana had followed up the Touch Me In the Morning album with a Marvin produced lp instead of Last Time I Saw Him. Or what if Marvin had produced the Mahogany soundtrack on Diana? Missed opportunities.

There was talk of Stevie Wonder producing them again in 1975, but he was smarting from the failure of Bad Weather. And again, Pedro had a control on Mary and the group that others at Motown didn't want to deal with

I guess I'm the only one who likes Mary's debut lp. I thought it had some good moments but her Gus Dudgeon material was really worthy of release and was great material for her
    I don't think you're alone Bayou, but I sure as hell don't like it. Only three songs on it that I find tolerable: "Warm Summer Nights", "Pick Up the Pieces" and "You Make Me Feel So Good". And of those three, "Pick Up the Pieces" is the only one that to my taste is a bonafide good song. I love it actually and think they messed up not releasing it as a single and building the album around that sound instead.

But the Gus Dudgeon sessions was quite possibly going to be the shot to success that Mary needed. Those songs are very good and fit Mary very well. How sad that the project was never finished.

Motown fired Mary halfway thru the sessions. She didn't get their approval

I like the debut lp because it sounded like Mary was having fun. It was a party lp, but disco was waning and the music on this lp was already dated but for a couple of songs.

Ironically Motown gave it some initial push. It did well in LA, Frisco and NYC but nowhere else was there any interest in this lp. Motown pulled it quickly and Mary's fate was sealed.

I like the debut lp because it sounded like Mary was having fun. It was a party lp, but disco was waning and the music on this lp was already dated but for a couple of songs.

Ironically Motown gave it some initial push. It did well in LA, Frisco and NYC but nowhere else was there any interest in this lp. Motown pulled it quickly and Mary's fate was sealed.
    I agree with you BMM, I really like her solo album. Was it perfect, no. I do think it has gotten unjustly maligned. Was "Meet" any better of a debut album? Not in my opinion.

I work out to Mary's solo album everyday, albeit with a 4.5% pitch shift. Mary helps me keep the weight off.

Nope ...I can see Marvin being asked but I can't see him agreeing to do so. There was never going to be a Marvin and Mary LP. As far as their voices blending together ...again nope....Mary's voice would have been suited better with an Eddie Kendricks type singer. Something that actually gave it chemistry and fire. Of course if Marvin did do a Mary Wilson, there is no certainty that he would have sung on it.

Now as far as Mary's solo album she did, lets just let it stay buried.

At 59 seconds into this clip Mary mentions that Marvin Gaye may be producing her solo album:

She didn't say may be, she said will be

She didn't say may be, she said will be
    Read the other thread for my response. He was going to produce her around recording his own album. It all became too much and then lawsuit between Mary and Motown.

Hmmmm.... interesting, RanRan. I'm not sure. I agree that Marvin and Mary doing ballads could have been great. Marvin wasn't in a great place at this time though so maybe it wouldn't / couldn't have worked.

I actually quite like Mary's solo album though! I love "You're The Light That Guides My Way" which is '80s Northern Soul if there ever were such a thing!!!

her record deal was only a settlement from the lawsuit. Motown agreed to release it to settle.
    and I didn't think the deal was done because marys husband didn seal the deal like hr didn't cancel the rest of the tour that mary had to do with Cindy and Debbie sharpe because no one would work with Pedro anymore.
    personally I didn't like the album but maybe 3 songs. the rest was throwaway [[IMO)

I was referring to the video you posted. I don't have to read your threads, you're usually wrong anyway. There was never going to be a Marvin Gaye lp

A Mary Wilson album produced by Marvin Gaye? In theory it was probably a good match, but as Mary herself has subsequently stated in reality it was not going to happen as Marvin's life was in such disarray he could barely keep himeslf together let alone produce another artist. The books by David Ritz, Steve Turner and Jan Gaye paint a distressing picture of Marvin's life at this time. It is quite probable that at one stage Marvin did express interest in producing Mary, only to recant on the offer. Mary has always denied that she had a crush on Marvin and after reading accounts of his paranoid state with his wife Jan, I feel that it is more likely that this was a product of his own state of mind.

The 'Mary Wilson' album that was released could have been much better, but in my opinion is not as bad as some people would have us believe. I understand that it was a rush job to fulfill part of the legal settlement between Mary and Motown. Had Motown taken a bit more care with song selection and production Mary's solo career could have started on a much brighter note.

It is interesting to compare the initial solo recordings that Diana Ross did with Bones Howe which I thought were a bad fit for Diana. Motown wisely decided to shelve those recordings and give her a more sympathetic production. A consideration that seemingly was not extended to Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hmmmm.... interesting, RanRan. I'm not sure. I agree that Marvin and Mary doing ballads could have been great. Marvin wasn't in a great place at this time though so maybe it wouldn't / couldn't have worked.

I actually quite like Mary's solo album though! I love "You're The Light That Guides My Way" which is '80s Northern Soul if there ever were such a thing!!!

Yes, that was with Billie Woodruff. Great singer.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    her record deal was only a settlement from the lawsuit. Motown agreed to release it to settle.
    and I didn't think the deal was done because marys husband didn seal the deal like hr didn't cancel the rest of the tour that mary had to do with Cindy and Debbie sharpe because no one would work with Pedro anymore.
    personally I didn't like the album but maybe 3 songs. the rest was throwaway [[IMO)
    What you are saying is not true or accurate.

I am sure there is nothing in the vaults of any unfinished tracks by Marvin Gaye on Mary Wilson so long story short ......Never Happen.
    HDH with Mary Wilson ?..........never happen.....

I have to disagree here Bluebrock. Like Diana when her time came, I think there came a time when Mary's talent outgrew a need for the group and that time was pretty much when Mary left. I do agree that her voice didn't have that certain something that set her sound apart from her contemporaries like Diana, Aretha, Gladys, Natalie, Donna, Dionne, all of whom you knew instantly the moment the ladies opened their mouths. But Mary had a way with a slow song that given the right song, the right lyrics, the right producer, and of course a serious promotional backing, she could have come out of the gate with hits. There is nothing similar in the voices of the two, but I think Mary could have easily done a lot of the stuff Phyllis Hyman was doing at the time.
    I think if Mary was ever going to have a chance of having solo success it would have come shortly after the publication of "dreamgirls". Much as i detest that tawdry excuse for a memoir it did put Mary in a good bargaining position. No record company has shown any great interest in releasing product on her before or since then. She should have pushed for a record deal at this time rather than basking in the glory of being a wealthy woman for a while.
    I totally agree with you that Mary sounded good on a well produced ballad but fell way short on the uptempo stuff. I still maintain she did not have it in her to be a successful solo artist but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and it is great fun to debate, but there is no way on earth she could have successfully competed with the formidable ladies you mention,or the likes of Phyllis Hyman and Patti Austin.

It wasn't just on The Mike Douglas Show,where Mary said Marvin Gaye was gonna produced her album,it was everywhere,in all the magazine's,and papers,Mary was putting the word out, Marvin Gaye was a trouble soul,i'm sure he plan to produced Mary album,but it was too much going on,in his life,at this time,Mary would not just make this up,and go out,promoting it,in the paper's,magazine's,and on TV,again Mary Wilson would not make this up.Marvin Gaye,or Motown,would have had something to say,if it wasn't true.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 06-05-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    It wasn't just on The Mike Douglas Show,where Mary said Marvin Gaye was gonna produced her album,it was everywhere,in all the magazine's,and papers,Mary was putting the word out, Marvin Gaye was a trouble soul,i'm sure he plan to produced Mary album,but it was too much going on,in his life,at this time,Mary would not just make this up,and go out,promoting it,in the paper's,magazine's,and on TV,again Mary Wilson would make this up.
    I first read about it in the papers, then Right On magazine.

The two sexiest voices at Motown would have made magic together!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I agree with you BMM, I really like her solo album. Was it perfect, no. I do think it has gotten unjustly maligned. Was "Meet" any better of a debut album? Not in my opinion.
    IMO Meet the Supremes was a MUCH better debut album. Aside from "I Want a Guy", "Who's Loving You" and "He's Seventeen", which were all duds to my ears, all the other songs showcased good lead singing and beautiful background harmonies, with typical early 60s Motown beats. I would say most of the songs on the album played to the group's strengths up until that time. Most of the songs on Mary's album were beneath her talent, to my ears. She was better than what she was given.

It appears that Mary is the only one on an official public record who makes the claim that Marvin may/would produce her debut album, which suggests to me that at the very least there was some "serious" talk about it. [[Mary wasn't an idiot. She had been in the game long enough to know when it might be safe to mention some of the possible things going on behind the scenes and I don't think she would get on national TV and blurt out something that only she and Pedro had conjured up.) At the same time, even if there was talk of it, there's a good chance that this collaboration never had a chance for all the reasons folks have mentioned above [[Marvin's issues, Mary's issues, Motown's issues, etc).

So rather than argue about whether this was real or not, how about we deal in the hypothetical: what if it was real? Good fit or no fit???

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    The two sexiest voices at Motown would have made magic together!
    They would have tore it up!

I read in the Let Youself GO Final Sessions CD that Cindy stated that Marvin Gaye was going to produce the Mary, Scherrie, Cindy grouping while they were going through legal issues and once they were done he was too busy. I don't think that album would have been a good match for the Supremes at that time. I didn't care for Mary's solo debut LP as much as I had hoped. She sang uptempo songs on the 1975 Supremes LP and sounded fine, just didn't seem to have the punch needed even though I liked I love a warm summer night, Midnight Dancer, Light that guides My Way. By 1979, I don't think Marvin was in the right place artistically and emotionally for the project. The Gus Dudgeon tracks were an indication of Wilson's capabilities. All of these years later, You Dance My heart Around the Stars was in preliminary consideration for a Grammy nomination, even if it didn't garner one. I think that shows she was on the track to becoming the solo artist she was trying to become, that was certainly her niche and would have carved out a credible career for her in that vein. Since, Wilson was working on a solo sound she would not have had the restrictions that a Gaye produced Supremes LP may have had and the combination may have worked but the timing for where Gaye was at the time and what Wilson was trying to accomplish may not have reached the artistic fruition that we are contemplating.

IMO Meet the Supremes was a MUCH better debut album. Aside from "I Want a Guy", "Who's Loving You" and "He's Seventeen", which were all duds to my ears, all the other songs showcased good lead singing and beautiful background harmonies, with typical early 60s Motown beats. I would say most of the songs on the album played to the group's strengths up until that time. Most of the songs on Mary's album were beneath her talent, to my ears. She was better than what she was given.
    Motown wanted rid of Mary. There is no way they would have seriously sanctioned Marvin to produce an album on Mary. Why would they give this white elephant to one of it's biggest stars to produce? They did not want to waste any more money on this project than they needed to.They wanted the album to flop so they gave her a set of generally disposable songs and the album was a critical and commercial failure. Job done.

Motown probably would have said to Marvin it was just fine. They did not want to ruffle his feathers!

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    The Gus Dudgeon tracks were an indication of Wilson's capabilities. All of these years later, You Dance My heart Around the Stars was in preliminary consideration for a Grammy nomination, even if it didn't garner one. I think that shows she was on the track to becoming the solo artist she was trying to become, that was certainly her niche and would have carved out a credible career for her in that vein.
    I absolutely agree here. I don't feel like pulling out my copy of Supreme Faith to re-familiarize myself with the particulars, but what the hell was Mary doing between being dropped from Motown and releasing Dreamgirl? I know she talked about meeting with the head of Casablanca[[?) and he was interested and then he dropped dead, but was that all? Seems she should have been beating doors down. I think her Atlantic demos were after Dreamgirl, right? I actually think a couple of those could have made some noise. What happened with Atlantic?

Motown wanted rid of Mary. There is no way they would have seriously sanctioned Marvin to produce an album on Mary. Why would they give this white elephant to one of it's biggest stars to produce? They did not want to waste any more money on this project than they needed to.They wanted the album to flop so they gave her a set of generally disposable songs and the album was a critical and commercial failure. Job done.
    Sadly this probably is the case.

You don't know that. That's just your opinion. Mary a "White Elephant"? What did you call Diane when Motown dropped her?

But like Bayou Man,his connections are much stronger than yours and you're jealous

Mary's voice on the songs she sang lead on were a nice offset from Jean and Diana but the voice is pedestrian and not commercial-so she had no hits

You don't know that. That's just your opinion. Mary a "White Elephant"? What did you call Diane when Motown dropped her?
    Sorry for raining on your parade but Mary voice lacked that special quality to become a solo success. No record company had sufficient confidence to take a chance on her.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    It wasn't just on The Mike Douglas Show,where Mary said Marvin Gaye was gonna produced her album,it was everywhere,in all the magazine's,and papers,Mary was putting the word out, Marvin Gaye was a trouble soul,i'm sure he plan to produced Mary album,but it was too much going on,in his life,at this time,Mary would not just make this up,and go out,promoting it,in the paper's,magazine's,and on TV,again Mary Wilson would not make this up.Marvin Gaye,or Motown,would have had something to say,if it wasn't true.
    Yes she would have said it,she is a LIAR,And known for it read her 2 trash rag books,then again she may have been on her Cocaine trips when she thought this happened,Marvin had recorded the excellent Diana and Marvin LP a few years before could not improve on perfection.,i'm sure he would not go back in the studio with a former background singer after he had duetted with the Queen of Motown,just a thought,cheers.

honest man Guest
    The Queen of Motown dropped them remember and walked away with Millions dollar deal.why do you lie so much i can understand why you Fantasise about Mary Wilson and try and change history. you are BOTH equal LIARS,CHEERS

Since I started the thread, is there an option for me to delete it, or do I contact Ralph and ask him to delete it? Folks just couldn't keep it about the music.

I think that the only artist that actually got marvin's attention was[the originals]after tammi's death i don't think he wanted to ever due a duet..[including the one he had to due with diana]now as for producing mary,he may have planned to do it but marvin being marvin his mind was all over the place,otis once said that marvin asked to see the temps and kept them waiting for two hours before they got pissed and left,just saying marvin had some plans that he didn't see through.

It could have been interesting had Marvin produced Mary. During the same period, his biographer David Ritz wrote that Marvin was slated to produce Dionne Warwick. Dionne and Marvin met to discuss material and she was telling him which songs she liked and which ones she didn't. Marvin suddenly excused himself and never returned, saying Dionne was "too bossy."