[REMOVE ADS]

Commodores Reissue 'Stacked and That's a Fact'

I cannot believe it's been 40 years already. I guess it's time.

I was a college DJ when this lp hits the street, the group performed at LSU and Lionel Richie, Tom McClary and Walter Orange gave me a great interview, some of the nicest men in the world.

This lp was everywhere. Other than the singles Zoom and Funky Situation were hot. Became their first platinum lp

First: I could really get into this vinyl revival if the damned things were just cheaper! I'm not going to pay over $20. I have a nice turntable, cart, and phono amp, but I can't justify spending more on a record than a hi-rez download.

Second: I wish the article were clearer about exactly which tapes were used. "Production" masters tell me that they didn't use the best tapes.

Three: this is my least favorite Commodores album, so, why would I even bother?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I was a college DJ when this lp hits the street, the group performed at LSU and Lionel Richie, Tom McClary and Walter Orange gave me a great interview, some of the nicest men in the world.

This lp was everywhere. Other than the singles Zoom and Funky Situation were hot. Became their first platinum lp
    The two main singles that were popular where I was were "Brickhouse" and "Easy" which they played it seemed like everyday for a year on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    First: I could really get into this vinyl revival if the damned things were just cheaper! I'm not going to pay over $20. I have a nice turntable, cart, and phono amp, but I can't justify spending more on a record than a hi-rez download.

Second: I wish the article were clearer about exactly which tapes were used. "Production" masters tell me that they didn't use the best tapes.

Three: this is my least favorite Commodores album, so, why would I even bother?
    They just opened a new record pressing plant in Detroit, but still they have to produce and sell more new vinyl in order for the prices to come down. I bought a spare turntable from a guy on Ebay.

My goodness. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the covfefe! Usually if I'm not interested in a thread I just don't read it. Just sayin' -

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The two main singles that were popular where I was were "Brickhouse" and "Easy" which they played it seemed like everyday for a year on the radio.
    They were indeed the two #1 hits off the album. "Easy" is arguably the best song they ever released.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    My goodness. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the covfefe! Usually if I'm not interested in a thread I just don't read it. Just sayin' -
    Nope. Just expressing my opinion like everyone else. Besides, I hate coveffe.

Wait a minute and please read if you intend to buy it...
    UNIVERSAL is being cheating us once more with this album.
    I don't say it's intentional but this edition gives us nothing really new.

When the COMMODORES lp was released in 1977, some songs had to be edited down - but for tracks 1 and 8 - because the album was too long to be pressed on lp at the time.

The first cd edition as a 2fer with HEROES used butchered versions on the cd for a few tracks - some in mixes unavailable elsewhere on vinyle or cd concerning the Commodores three 2fers released in 1986.

For the COMMODORES lp part of the 2fer, the song "Zoom" was the live version from COMMODORES LIVE - i.e. Released on cd in Europe only in 1988, and again in 1993 I believe, before a third cd edition was on cd worldwide shortly after, but that's another story.

Back to the COMMODORES lp...
    It was released as a stand alone cd in the late 80s in the US as both MOTD-5222 and Motown 3746362222.
    Both of these cd editions contain the edited master, which correspond to the original lp.

At the same time it was released in Europe on cd with the European album title ZOOM; catalogue number being Motown WD72101. And although the timings shown on the cd label match that of the original lp releases, and therefore the US cd releases, we do have the unedited album master. The timings for each song match that announced for the new 2017 vinyle edition.

In 1998 the album was digitally remastered as part of the Motown Remasters series, and we got the unedited master released for the second time - and first time in the US. Catalogue number 530 936-2.
    At the time HW said it was the first time the unedited master was unearthed. It wasn't true. But he didn't know about the European version.

What's really annoying is the new vinyle pretending to present us with new music. Come on... that's the third time it is released. 1988, 1998 and 2017...

What would have been of interest would have been to tell us if it had been remastered with 2017 technology.

As for myself, I've bought WHAT'S GOING ON vinyle that gave us the Detroit Mix on vinyle for the first time, because it was announced as such, and it is classic Detroit Funk brothers music after all. And there was new music by Marvin on the accompanying CDs.

Why can't we have something decent on the Commodores?

Still unavailable on cd or download are many early b-sides, Commodores renditions of "Forever Came Today" or "Bernadette", expanded versions of other Commodores lp which undoubtly exist as we have a longer "Just to be close to you" that mistakenly found its place only on the HOT ON THE TRACKS / IN THE POCKET 2fer.

...and what about the MOVIN ON original 1992 cd that is so rare that I've never seen it myself, although I'd be willing to put the price for it - drop me a line if you wanna get rid of your copy huh? Even though MOVIN ON is available as a perfect mastered official download, and a transfer from vinyle on the Vinyle Masterpieces label, I'm diying to have a Motown official cd for it.

Just my few cents...

JB
    Last edited by jbpintus; 06-01-2017 at 04:18 PM.

jbpintus:

I'm sure Harry Weinger meant the information to be specifically for the U.S. market. He may have known about the EU versions, but his announcement and concern was specifically for the U.S., since that's what he was/is in charge of. So, in that regard, this really is the first time the longer versions are being presented in the U.S. on vinyl.

Now, MY main complaint is that that this leaves out those who buy digital product, at least, for now. That, and the general process for vinyl is too high, and often more than the hi-res [[96kHz/24-bit) versions.

I do own this album on the late 80s CD.

Even if I don't intend to buy this particular release, I still have the right to post my opinion in this thread.

Soulster:

The discussion with Harry Weinger was around 2003 on the old MBB regarding the 1998 cd which had been released worldwide. I had discussed the topic with him and he wasn't aware of the European cd which contained the unedited master.

And the 2017 announcement about the first time release in any form of the long versions, be it CD or vinyl, as it says 'only heard of is Easy', is not intended for the US only as it lists links to amazon European sites too; and I'm quite sure HW is not the one behind that 2017 announcement. Believe me, I do really miss Harry's presence on the boards and his more 'public' involvement.

I'm trying to remember if Harry discussed that Commodores ZOOM cd with me directly or on the MBB. But I seem to remember it was around the time Lionel Richie's albums were expanded in 2003, and there were plans for a probable 4 CDs boxset on Lionel Richie.

I remember talking about the ZOOM European cd also with someone from Lionel's band, probably Chuckii Booker. Those were the days...
    Last edited by jbpintus; 06-01-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    Soulster:

The discussion with Harry Weinger was around 2003 on the old MBB regarding the 1998 cd which had been released worldwide. I had discussed the topic with him and he wasn't aware of the European cd which contained the unedited master.

And the 2017 announcement about the first time release in any form of the long versions, be it CD or vinyl, as it says 'only heard of is Easy', is not intended for the US only as it lists links to amazon European sites too; and I'm quite sure HW is not the one behind that 2017 announcement. Believe me, I do really miss Harry's presence on the boards and his more 'public' involvement.

I'm trying to remember if Harry discussed that Commodores ZOOM cd with me directly or on the MBB. But I seem to remember it was around the time Lionel Richie's albums were expanded in 2003, and there were plans for a probable 4 CDs boxset on Lionel Richie.

I remember talking about the ZOOM European cd also with someone from Lionel's band, probably Chuckii Booker. Those were the days...
    Chuckii Booker is with Lionel Richie's band now?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Chuckii Booker is with Lionel Richie's band now?
    I don't know today.
    He was at the time I did discuss ZOOM with him, and me with HW. I only named him
    as it allows to date my discussions on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    I don't know today.
    He was at the time I did discuss ZOOM with him, and me with HW. I only named him
    as it allows to date my discussions on the subject
    To be more precise, Chuckii Booker did produced Lionel Richie's COMING HOME cd and his Christmas album around 2006-2007.
    So I must have chatted with Chuckii
    around 2006.
    He wasn't that interested in talking Commodores to be honest...
    but was smooth enough to chat a bit

I have questions regarding the CD versions of "Commodores", "Heroes" and "Movin' On".

"Commodores"
    The first CD release of "Commodores [[Zoom)" was on the 2fer MCD08039MD paired with "Heroes". Would expect then that the first indovidual release as MOTD-5222 would have the shared back cover from the 2fer on the insert and also a reciprocal picture of the "Heroes" album cover on the inside of the insert but on my copy of MOTD-5222 neither is the case - see here https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...nuuHpm-2jcePY3 ) .

On the back of the CD jewel case there's a sticker over the barcode replacing that with one for 37463-5222-2 [[so indicated it as a further re-release. So the question is do any copies of MOTD-5222 have a common back cover or an inside image of the "Heroes" cover?

"Heroes"
    I don't have the MOTD-5353 version - so does this have a common back cover and reciprocal image of the "Commodores [[Zoom)" cover on the CD insert? Or is it exactly the same as the 37463-5353-2 version?

"Movin' On"
    The only CD I've come across is the PTG one from the Netherlands [[which I assume is a needle drop). So does it exist as a Motown 37463-6848-2 CD or MOTD-5178 and/or 37463-5178-2 version ?

Grateful for any input.