[REMOVE ADS]

Ivy Joe Hunter. New Album release

Can't believe I was unaware of this release January 2017. Searched the forum and can't see it mentioned so maybe you'll be interested as well. There are 16 tracks by Ivy Joe on his Probe II production label. These tracks are not necessarily recent recordings but many are seeing release for the first time. Entitled Best Of Ivy Joe - Ivy Joe Hunter, the album is download only on Amazon and iTunes, and is also available to stream on Spotify.

16 tracks by the brilliant Ivy Joe, and only £7.99 on Amazon.co.uk!!!!!!!

[[The cover photo reminds me of The Isleys' This Old Heart album cover..........same thinking? What relevance to Ivy Joe, it doesn't help promotion of the release.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 05-30-2017 at 06:22 PM.

thanks Mike
    great news for Ivy Hunter fans

I'm not sure if these [[videos) are available in the U.K., but most of the songs on this album are found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChb...w=0&shelf_id=0

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I'm not sure if these [[videos) are available in the U.K., but most of the songs on this album are found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChb...w=0&shelf_id=0
    Hi carole, just to say, they work fine for me.

These tracks have got nothing to do with Motown!

Last edited by copley; 05-30-2017 at 10:41 PM.

The post nor the album claimed Motown origins, but Ivy Joe is renowned for his Motown work, indivisible from the Motown story and it made sense to me to post in the Motown section for his strong Motown following rather than in the general section where some Motown fans don't go. The post did say Probe II production label so no one was being misled.
    I would note Marvin's CBS output and Diana's RCA output invariably appear in the Motown forum.

Sorry if it inconvenienced or offended you.
    cheers. Mike
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 05-31-2017 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Can't believe I was unaware of this release January 2017. Searched the forum and can't see it mentioned so maybe you'll be interested as well. There are 16 tracks by Ivy Joe on his Probe II production label. These tracks are not necessarily recent recordings but many are seeing release for the first time. Entitled Best Of Ivy Joe - Ivy Joe Hunter, the album is download only on Amazon and iTunes, and is also available to stream on Spotify.

16 tracks by the brilliant Ivy Joe, and only £7.99 on Amazon.co.uk!!!!!!!
    [[The cover photo reminds me of The Isleys' This Old Heart album cover..........same thinking? What relevance to Ivy Joe, it doesn't help promotion of the release.)
    I see they've managed to add an 'e' to 'Jo' on the album cover! he's not gone all Dionne Warwick[[e) on us has he? His name on then single scan is correct however. BTW, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this being in the Motown Forum

The post nor the album claimed Motown origins, but Ivy Joe is renowned for his Motown work, indivisible from the Motown story and it made sense to me to post in the Motown section for his strong Motown following rather than in the general section where some Motown fans don't go. The post did say Probe II production label so no one was being misled.
    I would note Marvin's CBS output and Diana's RCA output invariably appear in the Motown forum.

cheers. Mike
    No offence taken! I was just pointing out that these tracks are wrongly labelled as being classic R&B from the Motown Era! That's not your fault. Now I love IJH, he's an excellent writer & producer. I adore his Motown recordings but IMHO these 'new' tracks are awful.

A few rather sketchy details about Ivy Jo & Probe I and II may be found here:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/...tml?1055519289

Give a listen to Honey and Yea Yea Yea. They'll definitely grow on you. They are mellow soul rather than the Motown sound. Think Anthony Hamilton and you'll get the vibe. Cheers. Mike

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 05-31-2017 at 04:40 PM.

The more I listen to these tracks, the more captivating and charming I find them....

I'm anxious to hear these. Great news for the much underrated Ivy Jo's many fans. I always heard his productions differently than others. I think many of his original compositions were done in a minor key, though I'm no expert at that sort of thing. But think songs like "You've Been in Love Too Long" and "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead." Even to my then young ears they had a different sound than other [[perhaps better selling) Motown records.

Question for you experts. I just saw this in Wikipedia:

Hunter should not be confused with either blues singer and pianist Ivory Joe Hunter [[1914–1974), or Motown pianist Joe Hunter who was leader of the label's houseband The Funk Brothers from 1959 to 1964.

Of course, I know that Ivory Joe Hunter is a different artist, but isn't Ivy Jo the one who played the piano in the Funk Brothers...??? They're wrong, aren't they?

cheers. Mike
    Good points. We've also discussed artists here that recorded for other labels before joining Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Question for you experts. I just saw this in Wikipedia:

Hunter should not be confused with either blues singer and pianist Ivory Joe Hunter [[1914–1974), or Motown pianist Joe Hunter who was leader of the label's houseband The Funk Brothers from 1959 to 1964.

Of course, I know that Ivory Joe Hunter is a different artist, but isn't Ivy Jo the one who played the piano in the Funk Brothers...??? They're wrong, aren't they?
    Yes they're wrong...

No...they were correct !!
    Ivy jo Hunter is NOT funk brothers pianist..that's Joe Hunter
    Who died several years ago..
    So we're talking about 3 people here.
    Last edited by snakepit; 06-05-2017 at 04:40 AM.

StuBass1, didn't I read in a very old post that you were part of the Probe1 and II set up? If so, can you provide any info re musicians, studios etc and the general scheme of things?

I was involved in the Probe projects with Ivy Jo as we were working on releasing [[or distributing) some material and tracks that had been cut and working on some new material. The people I was involved with were Curtis Gadson [[Darin) and Ron Sanders, Ron Cozadd, and the guys more on the business side, John Maxey and Harry Gibson...Robert White and a few other musicians were also working on some material. Nice group of guys and I always believed in Ivy's material. I got involved in some other things and curtailed my involvement by the late 70's...I've recently opened new lines of contact with Ivy and Ron Cozadd. Not sure where the other are today, of course Robert left us some time ago...

Snakepit...If you read the post in question...you'll see that Kenneth said [[referring to another contention)..."Isn't Ivy Jo the one who played piano for The Funk Brothers...??? They were wrong, weren't they"...I responded YES they were wrong...Ivy Jo wass NOT the same as Joe Hunter, early Motown keyboard player and Funk Brother....

StuBass1, was Ivy involved in the release of this Probe II material in 2017? Does he have more material to release? He has quite a following...
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 06-05-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Stubass
    I think it is Kenneth who was wrong...not the "they", who were pointing out that Ivy was not Joe Hunter or Ivory Joe Hunter.
    So "they" weren't wrong.....it is Kenneth suggesting that Ivy Jo was a funk brother.
    Last edited by snakepit; 06-05-2017 at 01:23 PM.

What a great set of tracks! I have a few questions ...

Who was the female vocalist on "So Afraid To Fall In Love Again?"

Were lyrics written / recorded for "Follow The Leader" or "Universal Love"?"

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Stubass
    I think it is Kenneth who was wrong...not the "they", who were pointing out that Ivy was not Joe Hunter or Ivory Joe Hunter.
    So "they" weren't wrong.....it is Kenneth suggesting that Ivy Jo was a funk brother.
    Yes, that is what I always thought. I'm gob smacked, as our friends over the pond say!

I'll check with Ivy...

Mellow indeed... and Ivy sounds like somewhat like Johnny Bristol on these tracks to me.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Mellow indeed... and Ivy sounds like somewhat like Johnny Bristol on these tracks to me.

Yep soulwally, I can agree with that also...

Ivy tells me that he's not really aware of these releases. His brother handles the business...Ivy does the creative, but would like to see this stuff reintroduced...Perhaps since it's Amazon U.K. could be sort of a Northern Soul audience???...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 06-06-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Ivy tells me that he's not really aware of these releases. His brother handles the business...Ivy does the creative, but would like to see this stuff reintroduced...Perhaps since it's Amazon U.K. could be sort of a Northern Soul audience???...
    Hi Stubass1,

Thanks for getting back to us. A few comments....

The album came out in January 2017 and I seem to be amongst the very few to have actually spotted it....in late May.... no-one else on the forum was aware of it.....so promotion one believes is non existent. Now high profile untargeted promotion costs money, and I doubt it would be money well spent if traditional promotion is used.

Also the new album is on Amazon and iTunes as digital downloads and spotify as streaming.... there might be some income from Amazon and iTunes, practically nothing from Spotify. No CD issue. So income would be very low.

It definitely won't appeal to northern soul types. It is more mellow soul a la Anthony Hamilton / Johnny Bristol, and even has an 'Ernie Isley' led track driven guitar..... but I love it as do others.

It is however really welcome, I love most of the tracks and I'm really pleased to have the opportunity to buy and enjoy the tracks.
    Ivy probably has zero idea of just how much he is loved by many in the UK. He might think he is relatively unknown, and yes in the broad music sphere that is indeed true, but on the UK soul scene, he is hugely appreciated and has a wonderful reputation. We are all so disappointed that his Motown album "In His Bag" hasn't been released... it was scheduled for release by a company which foundered so we remain disappointed to this day.

There are numerous soul web sites which would gladly promote Ivy's release if they were made aware of it, and it wouldn't cost a dime to do so. The return would be so much greater. If he has more material to release, it would be highly appreciated.

As writer and co-writer of many of these songs I'm glad that the album was released. They did screw up on the artwork... it should be Ivy Jo Hunter. Just to clear things up... Ivy Jo played piano on and produced many Motown hits. He worked closely with The Funk Brothers but he was not Joe Hunter of the Funk Brothers.

we live in hope that Ace/Kent might consider a collection of Ivy Hunter's Motown recordings

...as a writer ...or as an artist...?

...Ivy Jo didn't record that many tracks at Motown but it would be good to have them all on 1 CD:

All My Life
    Ask The Lonely
    Dancing In The Street
    Determination
    Don't Stop Loving Me
    I Can Feel The Pain
    I Remember When [[Dedicated To Beverly)
    I'd Still Love You
    Just Your Love
    Let Somebody Love Me
    Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever
    Lucky Lucky Me
    Only A Lonely Man Would Know
    Pride, Foolish Pride
    Seek And You Shall Find
    Sorry Is A Sorry Word
    The Loving Country
    Truly Yours
    Where Are You
    You're The One

...but his song-writing credits are vast...!!

Grape