[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Hmmm...not sure. You mean instead of "Tamla Motown?" I'll have to see if I can find it. I purchased it not that long ago but my collection these days is pretty scattered, so not sure I can put my finger on it. But I'll try.

Interestingly, Discogs says it's a Netherlands issue. Maybe that's why it doesn't show Tamla-Motown as the label. I always assumed it was from the UK.

https://www.discogs.com/Supremes-20-...elease/1473283
    Yeah I mean the Tamla/Motown trademark. I am guessing this was a 1977 release?
    I remember the cover with the 3 sets of red lips with mics.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah I mean the Tamla/Motown trademark. I am guessing this was a 1977 release?
    I remember the cover with the 3 sets of red lips with mics.
    You know, when I was googling the images of the cover, I noticed that issue had a different track listing. The "lips" cover included songs with Diane, and the portrait cover was all tracks from the post-Diane years. Maybe they were companion pieces, issued at the same time. It's a little hard to read in these images, but here you go:

Name:  diana-ross-and-the-supremes-motown-11-ab.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  Supremes_20SuperHits[[Netherlands)2.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  93.5 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 06-03-2017 at 02:46 PM.

I always loved Jr Walkers "Peace and Understanding" album artwork but didn't realise it was designed by Efrain Wolff who also designed Stevie Wonders "Innervissions" album.

Commodores:

Name:  The_Commodores_Machine_Gun.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  22.0 KB

Name:  The_Commodores_Hot_on_the_Tracks.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  Commodores Live.jpeg
Views: 629
Size:  7.9 KB

Name:  Commodores_nightshift_album_cover.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  73.5 KB

My favourite Motown cover is Joan Osborne singing "What's Become Of The Broken Hearted" backed by the Funk Brothers

Edafan

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    ... ''should I get my eyes checked?'' main Shotgun graphic!
    OH MY MY! Yep! I always feel like I've got a serious case of Quadruple Vision when I look at that cover! I do like it though. You're right too about the sax illustration. That is pure brilliant!

This is nice [[could lose that chair perhaps)Attachment 13193.....

"I'm in the mood... For soul food''

An example of a perfect album cover design. It's a real eye-pleaser: simple but effective, with a nice balance of bold graphics and on-topic photography. This one shows exactly what you're going to get inside the package: ten items from a soulful menu, all cooked up by the man sitting at the diner counter. There was a nice touch on the back with the addition of the photo showing Junior tuckin' in to his favorite food! The music on 'Home Cookin' is as tasty as the cover, too! No credits listed, but it's got Curtis McNair written all over it.

Name:  Home Cookin front.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  Home Cookin back.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  97.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    An example of a perfect album cover design. It's a real eye-pleaser: simple but effective, with a nice balance of bold graphics and on-topic photography. This one shows exactly what you're going to get inside the package: ten items from a soulful menu, all cooked up by the man sitting at the diner counter. There was a nice touch on the back with the addition of the photo showing Junior tuckin' in to his favorite food! The music on 'Home Cookin' is as tasty as the cover, too! No credits listed, but it's got Curtis McNair written all over it.

Name:  Home Cookin front.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  Home Cookin back.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  97.3 KB
    I forgot until seeing these graphics how early Jr. had recorded "What Does it Take to Win Your Love." Was it the same version as the hit version which came out several years later? What a great song. I always thought it was recorded later when Jr. kind of entered his mellow period with this and other great songs such as "Gotta Hold On to This Feeling" and "These Eyes." I think he was always so underrated, he really deserves a beautiful box set.

I forgot until seeing these graphics how early Jr. had recorded "What Does it Take to Win Your Love." Was it the same version as the hit version which came out several years later? What a great song. I always thought it was recorded later when Jr. kind of entered his mellow period with this and other great songs such as "Gotta Hold On to This Feeling" and "These Eyes." I think he was always so underrated, he really deserves a beautiful box set.
    Oh definitely a box set.

Name:  soul-on-the-rocks-55c7cceb3e4f9.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  82.8 KB

I loved the album cover when I first got it, but the more I looked at it, the more I wondered why on earth did they give them paper cups? I get the idea "on the rocks", drinks on ice. So why not give them proper drinking glasses? A small quibble...

Considering their main audience, they could have gone childish and cartoony with this one . Instead Motown honored this collection with a classy respectful presentation.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-18-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    Name:  soul-on-the-rocks-55c7cceb3e4f9.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  82.8 KB

I loved the album cover when I first got it, but the more I looked at it, the more I wondered why on earth did they give them paper cups? I get the idea "on the rocks", drinks on ice. So why not give them proper drinking glasses? A small quibble...
    I thought the paper cup made the cover look rather shoddy. But the photo itself seems rather casual. It might have been an outtake that inspired the title rather than the other way around.
    Last edited by reese; 06-18-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I thought the paper cup made the cover look rather shoddy. But the photo itself seems rather casual. It might have been an outtake that inspired the title rather than the other way around.
    Knowing Motown back in those days perhaps they wanted to stay away from a more definite suggestion of alcoholic beverages.

"Shoddy" is the word I was looking for. I do like your idea of the photo inspiring the title.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Here are a couple of mine:

Attachment 13046
    This was the first ever Motown album I was bought when I was 10 years old. I studied the cover from back to front and learnt from this that anything written by HDH was going to be a good record. It was from this album that I became and avid Motown fan. All these years later I still treasure this album.
    Does anyone know who the illustration of the group was done by and was it ever made available as a print?
    I seem to recall that a painting of the group hung in the houses of the three girls when they each located to LA. Was this the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    This was the first ever Motown album I was bought when I was 10 years old. I studied the cover from back to front and learnt from this that anything written by HDH was going to be a good record. It was from this album that I became and avid Motown fan. All these years later I still treasure this album.
    Does anyone know who the illustration of the group was done by and was it ever made available as a print?
    I seem to recall that a painting of the group hung in the houses of the three girls when they each located to LA. Was this the picture?
    The painting is by Robert Taylor. For the US edition of the album, individual portraits of each girl were included. Not sure if this was done in other countries.

I have seen a photo of Mary posed in front of a painting of the group, but it wasn't this one. I've also seen some other paintings that she has, including one based on Diana's 1985 Essence cover.

The painting is by Robert Taylor. For the US edition of the album, individual portraits of each girl were included. Not sure if this was done in other countries.

I have seen a photo of Mary posed in front of a painting of the group, but it wasn't this one. I've also seen some other paintings that she has, including one based on Diana's 1985 Essence cover.
    Thanks for that reese, I never knew individual portraits were also included in the US version of the album. Just googled the images are they are great. Here in the U.K., the album was only released as a single disc and the individual portraits were not included. I suspect this was the case for the rest of the world.
    I don't understand why the album was only issued as a single disc here, it sold really well for years and should have prompted EMI to realease a full 2 disc version.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 07-06-2017 at 04:14 AM. Reason: correct grammar

You know, when I was googling the images of the cover, I noticed that issue had a different track listing. The "lips" cover included songs with Diane, and the portrait cover was all tracks from the post-Diane years. Maybe they were companion pieces, issued at the same time.
    Not an album cover, but the mentioning of "The Lips" 20 Golden Greats album made me think of the 1977 commercial promoting the album. Very 70s but cute:

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Knowing Motown back in those days perhaps they wanted to stay away from a more definite suggestion of alcoholic beverages.
    If Motown wanted to avoid any suggestion of alcoholic drinks, they should've chose another title for the album besides Soul On The Rocks [[although I noticed that the LP's picture of The Isley's has them sitting on rocks so that's another interpretation of the title Soul On The Rocks).

A nice cover for a UK compilation :