[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Luciano, yes! That Gladys Knight & the Pips cover for "Ovation" is one of my favorites too.

and of course.........

Attachment 13064

Name:  Knight.JPG
Views: 945
Size:  39.7 KB

I love the color scheme and design.

Name:  Marvin.JPG
Views: 1011
Size:  86.5 KB

Love the vibrant color and close shot. And for an early Motown album to have a non-generic photo is also nice.

My favorite Motown album cover - I got chills when I purchased it and I still get chills when I play it. Mr. Gordy was definitely a visionary.Name:  46508-large.jpg
Views: 951

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Name:  Knight.JPG
Views: 945
Size:  39.7 KB

I love the color scheme and design.
    I would bet money that the artist the did the Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart also did this cover.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thank you Kenneth!
    'course...!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Name:  Marvin.JPG
Views: 1011

Love the vibrant color and close shot. And for an early Motown album to have a non-generic photo is also nice.
    I love the "old Hollywood" look of this photo cover. Very mannered, trying for old school elegance. Doesn't quite make it - the ultra close up would have benefited from a little air brushing especially on Marvin's forehead which seems like it had broken out - but the innocence and the way it was obviously taken to put him in the pantheon with Sinatra and Nat King Cole is wonderful. I didn't used to care for the album. I still think Marvin was a little too "green" for the standards at the time, but I have grown to be very fond of the album.

A great choice, lockhartgary!
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-31-2017 at 01:20 AM.

I think this cover really achieved what they were trying for with "Soulful Moods." It's artistic, and well, moody and definitely looks like it was aimed at a more adult audience. And it's a great album, too. In just that brief time between his 1st and 3rd albums, I think Marvin really achieved what he wanted to with this one.

I think it compares in design to Sinatra's 50's albums, such as "No One Cares." Same intensity, same feel, I think.

Name:  Marvin-cry.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  12.4 KB

Name:  NoOneCares.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  20.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think this cover really achieved what they were trying for with "Soulful Moods." It's artistic, and well, moody and definitely looks like it was aimed at a more adult audience. And it's a great album, too. In just that brief time between his 1st and 3rd albums, I think Marvin really achieved what he wanted to with this one.

I think it compares in design to Sinatra's 50's albums, such as "No One Cares." Same intensity, same feel, I think.

Name:  Marvin-cry.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  12.4 KB

Name:  NoOneCares.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  20.2 KB
    Ahhh, yes. Very "...Wee Small Hours..."; I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Ahhh, yes. Very "...Wee Small Hours..."; I love it.
    How right you are! I had forgotten about that one!

Name:  Wee_small_hours_album_cover_high_definition.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  21.4 KB

What was it with sadness, moodiness and cigarettes??

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    The Temptations' Psychedelic Shack is colourful and vibrant and I like it!
    Name:  IMG_6147.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  65.3 KB

The Undisputed Truth's Cosmic Truth is a funkaay cover to match the funkaay music...!
    Name:  IMG_6148.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  52.4 KB

I also like the semi-cartoon image of Stevie on his 1980 album Hotter Than July... great
    Name:  IMG_6149.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  38.6 KB

Jimmy Ruffin:

Name:  jimmy-ruffin-sings-top-ten-ab.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  Jimmy Ruffin Ruff n Ready.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  Jimmy Ruffin Groove Governor.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  15.5 KB

Valerie Simpson:

Name:  Valerie Simpson exposed.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  15.8 KB

Eddie Kendricks:

Name:  Eddie Kendricks People Hold On.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  Eddie Kendricks.jpeg
Views: 757
Size:  5.2 KB

Name:  Eddie Kendricks For You.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  45.4 KB

Barbara McNair:

Name:  Barbara McNair Here I Am.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  14.7 KB

The Miracles with Billy Griffin:

Name:  The Miracles Renaissance.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  37.0 KB

The Marvelettes:

Name:  the-marvelettes-playboy-ab.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  The Marvelette The Return of.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  59.2 KB

Jr. Walker & The All Stars:

Name:  Jr Walker Live.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  Jr Walker Home Cookin.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  Jr Walker Whopper Booper.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  76.7 KB

I always liked this album cover:

Attachment 13096

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This photo was taken from an appearance the guys did on LAUGH-IN. In the original photo, there is an anonymous guy sitting up near the back but his image was taken out for the album cover.
    Thanks for that information!

The Marvellous Marvelettes :

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Yes! I was hoping someone would post this cover. It was one of their best!

I always liked this album cover:

Attachment 13096
    I agree Marv. I should have added this to my list for The Miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    I agree Marv. I should have added this to my list for The Miracles.
    You notice Pete Moore is missing? He was in the service a the time of this album as well as their Christmas album later that year. Look at how young they all look!

You notice Pete Moore is missing? He was in the service a the time of this album as well as their Christmas album later that year. Look at how young they all look!
    Yes, I did notice. I like that they are all wearing gold except Marv Tarplin has a black jacket on. It goes well with the title. I believe they used a picture from this session for the cover of a Smokey Robinson and the Miracles Gold collection.

Couple of my favorites:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by brandosoul; 06-02-2017 at 07:53 AM.

As I recall, the notes even mention that on the back of the album. It's nice that they paid tribute to him to explain his absence while in the service.

As I recall, the notes even mention that on the back of the album. It's nice that they paid tribute to him to explain his absence while in the service.
    It was nice. The Miracles were a truly close knit group of friends. They never tried to replace a member with a look alike in hopes that the public would not notice. They also acknowledged each group member.
    Last edited by marv2; 06-02-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added "never"

It was nice. The Miracles were a truly close knit group of friends. They tried to replace a member with a look alike in hopes that the public would not notice. They also acknowledged each group member.
    You mean Billy Griffin? He had a great voice but if anything he sounded too much like Smokey. With the Supremes, and even the Temps, with Jean and Dennis, they had their own styles and I doubt anyone ever confused their vocals with those whom they replaced. I think Damon Harris, like Griffin, sounded too much like Eddie to be distinctive as well though he too had a great voice.

I've always loved this cover

Name:  chartbusters5.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  9.5 KB

You mean Billy Griffin? He had a great voice but if anything he sounded too much like Smokey. With the Supremes, and even the Temps, with Jean and Dennis, they had their own styles and I doubt anyone ever confused their vocals with those whom they replaced. I think Damon Harris, like Griffin, sounded too much like Eddie to be distinctive as well though he too had a great voice.
    I meant to say they never tried to replace with a look alike.....

I meant to say they never tried to replace with a look alike.....
    I see. I'm curious, though. What do you think about the issue I brought up? Do you think Griffin and Harris were good choices for the Miracles and the Temps? Like I said, vocally they were outstanding but I think not distinctive enough to differentiate them from Smokey and Eddie. I'd like to know your opinion.

i liked the supremes sing rogers and hart lp covert art
    and the original 1967 hits lp but wished the great artwork was bigger
    touch / love child / supremes

I see. I'm curious, though. What do you think about the issue I brought up? Do you think Griffin and Harris were good choices for the Miracles and the Temps? Like I said, vocally they were outstanding but I think not distinctive enough to differentiate them from Smokey and Eddie. I'd like to know your opinion.

I thought they were great choices. Both were good singers and could approximate the sound of the individuals they were replacing. Both grew up in Baltimore idolizing the groups they joined at Motown. I thought Damon was a bit too young for the Tempts at first, but he hung in there and did a fine job. Billy does not really sound like Smokey to me per se. His tone is higher and more varied than Smokey's. I have to give them both credit as I do Jean Terrell for stepping into already World famous groups and scoring major million sellers once they joined!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i liked the supremes sing rogers and hart lp covert art
    and the original 1967 hits lp but wished the great artwork was bigger
    touch / love child / supremes
    Motown should have produced and sold posters of the artwork to the Greatest Hit's album cover.

I thought they were great choices. Both were good singers and could approximate the sound of the individuals they were replacing. Both grew up in Baltimore idolizing the groups they joined at Motown. I thought Damon was a bit too young for the Tempts at first, but he hung in there and did a fine job. Billy does not really sound like Smokey to me per se. His tone is higher and more varied than Smokey's. I have to give them both credit as I do Jean Terrell for stepping into already World famous groups and scoring major million sellers once they joined!
    Thanks for the opinion. I agree; Griffin does have a different tone and maybe even a better voice technically than Smokey. I bought a few of his solo albums recently though I haven't played them a lot yet. I do love the way his voice soars on "What is a Heart Good For," which I think is my favorite track of him with the Miracles.

I always liked The Jackson 5 Third Album and Diana Ross' solo debut LP as very inventive. Mary, Scherrie & Susaye by the Supremes was easily the most beautiful and eye catching.

Thanks for the opinion. I agree; Griffin does have a different tone and maybe even a better voice technically than Smokey. I bought a few of his solo albums recently though I haven't played them a lot yet. I do love the way his voice soars on "What is a Heart Good For," which I think is my favorite track of him with the Miracles.
    Oh he knocked us out when we first heard "What Is A Heart Good For". He is nice guy also and rather humble considering his accomplishments.

I have seen the photo used here many times, but has anyone ever seen this album before?

Attachment 13109

brandosoul posted half before - but the reason this is one of my favourites was the full fold-out

Name:  diana.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  61.4 KB

I have seen the photo used here many times, but has anyone ever seen this album before?

Attachment 13109
    Yes. I have this album. It's a UK issue.

We're gonna dig potatoes, we're gonna pick tomatoes.

I'm a big fan of any Curtis McNair 'classic Motown' album covers [[Black Magic, Portrait Of The Originals, Strung Out etc.), but they're maybe not exactly award-worthy. Junior Walker's 'Shotgun' album cover on the other hand is a winner for me. While the original cover design is credited to Bernard Yeszin, that image of the 'notes-as-colors' emanating from the horn is very clever, although there is no artist credit. The sax image is unfortunately overwhelmed by the ''should I get my eyes checked?'' main Shotgun graphic! Still, it's one of Motown's most visually impactful album covers. The 2001 Universal CD re-issue made a nice feature of the sax artwork on not only the back of the case and the insert, but there's even a textured finish of the sax on the disc itself - all to enhance the listening experience of a physical product. Ain't That The Truth!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Yes. I have this album. It's a UK issue.
    I see. Thank you. Does your copy also have the standard Motown logo in the upper right corner?

I see. Thank you. Does your copy also have the standard Motown logo in the upper right corner?
    Hmmm...not sure. You mean instead of "Tamla Motown?" I'll have to see if I can find it. I purchased it not that long ago but my collection these days is pretty scattered, so not sure I can put my finger on it. But I'll try.

Interestingly, Discogs says it's a Netherlands issue. Maybe that's why it doesn't show Tamla-Motown as the label. I always assumed it was from the UK.

https://www.discogs.com/Supremes-20-...elease/1473283
    Last edited by kenneth; 06-03-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    brandosoul posted half before - but the reason this is one of my favourites was the full fold-out

Name:  diana.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  61.4 KB
    Yes. It's possibly one of my favorite album covers, in general. The stark gray-scale portrait with Diana's stripped-down look. It fits the overall tone of the music and the post-disco era it was created in.