[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just once more...!

Wouldn't it be something special if berry rounded up his remaining motown artist and recorded them[separately]on a series of singles,yes i know it ain't gonna happen but it would be something to behold,i'm not talking about berry actually being in the studio but if it was his brainchild so he would be listed as producer i'm talking about a berry gordy produced song on-smokey-the temps-martha & the vandellas-diana ross-mary wilson-stevie wonder,not a compilation lp but quality songs recorded by these legends and the holland brothers should be involved,yes i know we're talking about[egos-time-interest]but it's something to ponder isn't it..and remember-it's what's in the grooves that count!

That would be tremendous!

That would indeed be amazing! As much as I want it to happen, it, um, isn't. But you can always hope...!

Marv.it almost brings a tear to my eyes just thinking about it,it's so sad that we've lost so many music legends and even sadder that after making so many,many magical songs that-ego-money and other factors pull folks apart,when it comes to special music companies motown is like no other.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marv.it almost brings a tear to my eyes just thinking about it,it's so sad that we've lost so many music legends and even sadder that after making so many,many magical songs that-ego-money and other factors pull folks apart,when it comes to special music companies motown is like no other.
    When I think about how Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin just came together and decided to SING, I understand what you mean. When I think about how they were totally excluded from "Motown 25" by Ms. DePasse, I get as pissed as Marvin Gaye got when he heard that the Marvelettes weren't even invited. A lot of shit went down without Mr. Gordy's knowledge. If he could mount that Broadway Show...."Motown the Musical", they could get this done! Trust me.

You could have those magnificent Velvelettes and Brenda Holloway, FLOS, DRoss, Stevie, Smokey et al. Mable John deffo.

Would you have the current Tops or just Duke?

The Jacksons without Michael!

Gladys with 1 Pip?

Where would you draw the line - would you include Frankie Valli, Jose Feliciano, Lynda Carter etc?

Wouldn't it be something special if berry rounded up his remaining motown artist and recorded them[separately]on a series of singles,yes i know it ain't gonna happen but it would be something to behold,i'm not talking about berry actually being in the studio but if it was his brainchild so he would be listed as producer i'm talking about a berry gordy produced song on-smokey-the temps-martha & the vandellas-diana ross-mary wilson-stevie wonder,not a compilation lp but quality songs recorded by these legends and the holland brothers should be involved,yes i know we're talking about[egos-time-interest]but it's something to ponder isn't it..and remember-it's what's in the grooves that count!
    I think this would be a great idea and probably would be successful. I had a similar thought sometime ago, but mine was in relation to the vaulted musical tracks that never received vocals. I thought it might be a good idea to have the legends go in and record vocals to some of those great Motown tracks. It would be like getting new "old" songs from the classic period.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    When I think about how Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin just came together and decided to SING, I understand what you mean. When I think about how they were totally excluded from "Motown 25" by Ms. DePasse, I get as pissed as Marvin Gaye got when he heard that the Marvelettes weren't even invited. A lot of shit went down without Mr. Gordy's knowledge. If he could mount that Broadway Show...."Motown the Musical", they could get this done! Trust me.
    Do you really think all of that went down without Gordy's knowledge and DePasse kept a job? Yeah right. Lol Motown 25 was just an extension of the way Motown had been doing business since the 60s. The Marvelettes had been getting the shaft since at least 1963/64, supposedly because they were forced to the backseat in favor of Martha and the Vandellas and the Supremes. Why wouldn't Motown continue the trend by excluding the Marvelettes in favor of High Inergy [[who were doing what at Motown at this point?) or Adam Ant? Eddie Kendricks has gone on record to say that Berry Gordy never liked him. Do you think Gordy would go out of his way to make sure Eddie was involved in anything? I don't. And considering that the Tempts reunion with Eddie and David supposedly was a disaster, King Otis may have been vehemently opposed to doing the show with them. All in all it was a great moment in music history, and on it's own a fantastic show. But all of the funky behind the scenes shenanigans got their start under the watchful eye of Berry Gordy in the 1960s. Motown was just upholding tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    You could have those magnificent Velvelettes and Brenda Holloway, FLOS, DRoss, Stevie, Smokey et al. Mable John deffo.

Gladys with 1 Pip?

Where would you draw the line - would you include Frankie Valli, Jose Feliciano, Lynda Carter etc?
    When you hear the names Frankie Valli, Jose Feliciano or Lynda Carter do you think of Motown? Because I sure don't. Motown had a TON of artists signed to it over the years, even during the Golden Years, and I imagine a large number of them are still alive and well, but you can't record everyone. I would stick to names that are largely associated with the name Motown. As you name the Velvelettes, Brenda Holloway, all living former Supremes, Stevie, Smokey, maybe even Mable John. I would add Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, the current Four Tops, the current Tempts, the Jackson 5 [[minus MJ), Gladys Knight solo or with Bubba, and maybe a few more names. If done well it could be a worthy project.

Quote Originally Posted by ranran79 View Post
    do you really think all of that went down without gordy's knowledge and depasse kept a job? Yeah right. Lol motown 25 was just an extension of the way motown had been doing business since the 60s. The marvelettes had been getting the shaft since at least 1963/64, supposedly because they were forced to the backseat in favor of martha and the vandellas and the supremes. Why wouldn't motown continue the trend by excluding the marvelettes in favor of high inergy [[who were doing what at motown at this point?) or adam ant? Eddie kendricks has gone on record to say that berry gordy never liked him. Do you think gordy would go out of his way to make sure eddie was involved in anything? I don't. And considering that the tempts reunion with eddie and david supposedly was a disaster, king otis may have been vehemently opposed to doing the show with them. All in all it was a great moment in music history, and on it's own a fantastic show. But all of the funky behind the scenes shenanigans got their start under the watchful eye of berry gordy in the 1960s. Motown was just upholding tradition.
    i think that by the time[motown 25]rolled around berry was more[emeritus]than actually running things on a day to day basis,ms.dupass didn't care for eddie or david,and after david and eddie cussed out those motown execs their fate was sealed,the show had it's moments but could've been much much better.

OK, I’m aware this will probably meet with controversybut isn’t this precisely what Ian Levine did? Sure, he made a few mistakes butit was done for love of our music. All the many artists, writers and producersparticipated willingly, no one put a gun to their head. He spent – and lost –all his money at the time. And, you know, there are some real gems in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    OK, I’m aware this will probably meet with controversybut isn’t this precisely what Ian Levine did? Sure, he made a few mistakes butit was done for love of our music. All the many artists, writers and producersparticipated willingly, no one put a gun to their head. He spent – and lost –all his money at the time. And, you know, there are some real gems in there.
    The spirit of it might be the same but speaking for myself, I would hope the outcome was different. There are a few gems that came out of Levine's project, but most of what I heard I do not like and I think the productions were well below what the artists' talents were worth.

i think that by the time[motown 25]rolled around berry was more[emeritus]than actually running things on a day to day basis,ms.dupass didn't care for eddie or david,and after david and eddie cussed out those motown execs their fate was sealed,the show had it's moments but could've been much much better.
    You may be right about Gordy's status, but I still think he sanctioned everything, even if after the fact. Would the Marvelettes have been invited to Motown 15 or 20? I just don't think so.

But you're right, it could've been better. The Marvelettes being there for starters. Mary Wells and JR Walker being given whole songs instead of snippets. Same goes for Martha Reeves, but also with the Vandellas included. I wish someone had been able to talk Gladys and the Pips into performing. I think the public would have liked Brenda Holloway and Kim Weston making an appearance. Were the Isley Brothers even asked? I have no problem with Debarge doing their thing and of course the J5 reunion was perfect [[including "Billie Jean"). Wish someone had been able to save the Supremes reunion [[making sure the ladies checked their egos and that the full medley was performed). Could've avoided a lot of ugliness to come over the years, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    When you hear the names Frankie Valli, Jose Feliciano or Lynda Carter do you think of Motown? Because I sure don't.
    Actually, yes I do [[well I might give Lynda a bye) but some of my all time faves are the within the Motown stuff from Jose and Frankie. My first Motown concert was in 72 [[Four Tops who were on their way out and Thelma who was on her way in). Motown's first decade had long passed.

Actually, yes I do [[well I might give Lynda a bye) but some of my all time faves are the within the Motown stuff from Jose and Frankie. My first Motown concert was in 72 [[Four Tops who were on their way out and Thelma who was on her way in). Motown's first decade had long passed.
    I can understand that. But the general public doesn't associate those names with Motown. You say Jose and most people immediately think of "Feliz Navidad" or "Light My Fire"; Frankie all of those Four Seasons 60s and mid 70s hits; Lynda is "Wonder Woman". Lol You say Motown and most people think Supremes, Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, etc, and when you say those names most people think of Motown. So in that regard, in answer to your original question about drawing the line, I personally think the line is pretty easy to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by ranran79 View Post
    you may be right about gordy's status, but i still think he sanctioned everything, even if after the fact. Would the marvelettes have been invited to motown 15 or 20? I just don't think so.

But you're right, it could've been better. The marvelettes being there for starters. Mary wells and jr walker being given whole songs instead of snippets. Same goes for martha reeves, but also with the vandellas included. I wish someone had been able to talk gladys and the pips into performing. I think the public would have liked brenda holloway and kim weston making an appearance. Were the isley brothers even asked? I have no problem with debarge doing their thing and of course the j5 reunion was perfect [[including "billie jean"). Wish someone had been able to save the supremes reunion [[making sure the ladies checked their egos and that the full medley was performed). Could've avoided a lot of ugliness to come over the years, i think.
    what wouldv'e been classic would have been to have the real motown stars[what the hell was no talent adam ant doing on that show???]after doing a medley return to perform one of their classic hits.

what wouldv'e been classic would have been to have the real motown stars[what the hell was no talent adam ant doing on that show???]after doing a medley return to perform one of their classic hits.
    Yeah, only the Motowners [[past and present) should have been performing. I don't know what Adam thought he was doing but he aint have no business doing it on this show.

But the general public doesn't associate those names with Motown.
    The "general public" also just elected a complete moron to be president, so I wouldn't make too many assumptions about them. LOL!

That said, not many people today know any of these artists. To the public today, this is all "old people music". Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons sound very close to Motown in their heyday. I just played a couple classic Motown tracks to a large group of kids in their late teens and early 20s and no one reacted to any of it. None of them had ever heard of "Ain't No Mountain" [[Marvin/Tammi), "Reach Out" or "Jimmy Mack". "Stop", however did get a reaction... my grandma loves that song. Sigh...

I can understand that. But the general public doesn't associate those names with Motown. You say Jose and most people immediately think of "Feliz Navidad" or "Light My Fire"; Frankie all of those Four Seasons 60s and mid 70s hits; Lynda is "Wonder Woman". Lol You say Motown and most people think Supremes, Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, etc, and when you say those names most people think of Motown. So in that regard, in answer to your original question about drawing the line, I personally think the line is pretty easy to draw.
    Can't argue with that logic, so we're looking more to the 60s hitmakers and leaving out Lionel Richie, The Commodores, Boyz II Men etc. Could maybe include The Elgins [[Yvonne)?

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    The "general public" also just elected a complete moron to be president, so I wouldn't make too many assumptions about them. LOL!

That said, not many people today know any of these artists. To the public today, this is all "old people music". Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons sound very close to Motown in their heyday. I just played a couple classic Motown tracks to a large group of kids in their late teens and early 20s and no one reacted to any of it. None of them had ever heard of "Ain't No Mountain" [[Marvin/Tammi), "Reach Out" or "Jimmy Mack". "Stop", however did get a reaction... my grandma loves that song. Sigh...
    Actually the general public elected someone else. The electoral college elected the moron to be president. Lol

Millennials just barely outnumber Boomers in terms of population, so I wouldn't say not many people today know any of the Motown artists. That's a helluva lot of people who know them and remember them. And who are these kids you were with who didn't react to Motown or recognize those songs? I hesitate to bring race into this but I have to ask: were they Black? Because around my way Motown is ever present at every Black family gathering, interspersed among other styles of course. Motown blares out of various restaurants around the way and sometimes you even hear it being bumped as someone goes down the street. The youngins may not be able to play Jeopardy with a category of Motown Artist, but they know some of those songs. Maybe it's a region thing. Where are the kids from?

Can't argue with that logic, so we're looking more to the 60s hitmakers and leaving out Lionel Richie, The Commodores, Boyz II Men etc. Could maybe include The Elgins [[Yvonne)?
    No, we don't have to leave out Lionel, Commodores or Boyz II Men unless we were to stick with the golden years. I can't think of any other label one immediately thinks of when you think about these three acts. I don't see why the Elgins couldn't be included.

Gladys with 1 Pip?

I would have the current Four Tops and Gladys, Bubba Knight with two fill ins. I would not include Frankie Lynda, Jose etc as they found their greatest successes outside of Motown.

Do you really think all of that went down without Gordy's knowledge and DePasse kept a job? Yeah right. Lol Motown 25 was just an extension of the way Motown had been doing business since the 60s. The Marvelettes had been getting the shaft since at least 1963/64, supposedly because they were forced to the backseat in favor of Martha and the Vandellas and the Supremes. Why wouldn't Motown continue the trend by excluding the Marvelettes in favor of High Inergy [[who were doing what at Motown at this point?) or Adam Ant? Eddie Kendricks has gone on record to say that Berry Gordy never liked him. Do you think Gordy would go out of his way to make sure Eddie was involved in anything? I don't. And considering that the Tempts reunion with Eddie and David supposedly was a disaster, King Otis may have been vehemently opposed to doing the show with them. All in all it was a great moment in music history, and on it's own a fantastic show. But all of the funky behind the scenes shenanigans got their start under the watchful eye of Berry Gordy in the 1960s. Motown was just upholding tradition.
    I think quite a bit of it. She would then go to Mr. Gordy to rationalize her decisions. He trusted her.

Actually the general public elected someone else. The electoral college elected the moron to be president. Lol

Millennials just barely outnumber Boomers in terms of population, so I wouldn't say not many people today know any of the Motown artists. That's a helluva lot of people who know them and remember them. And who are these kids you were with who didn't react to Motown or recognize those songs? I hesitate to bring race into this but I have to ask: were they Black? Because around my way Motown is ever present at every Black family gathering, interspersed among other styles of course. Motown blares out of various restaurants around the way and sometimes you even hear it being bumped as someone goes down the street. The youngins may not be able to play Jeopardy with a category of Motown Artist, but they know some of those songs. Maybe it's a region thing. Where are the kids from?
    Are you sure "Millennials" outnumber "Baby Boomers"?

There were 20 kids and only 2 were white. From all over the country and world. But regardless, its not a representative sample.

I did my research , they actually do now.

I did my research , they actually do now.

I believe that one has to inspire in our youngsters the curiosity for good music. I was born in 1942. Recently I have been listening to Fats Waller, a star from the 20's 30's 40's. I ran a band called Big Band Revival in the Boston area from 1965 to 1979. My son was born in 1979. As he grew up he had the same interest in good music from the past that I did. He was the one who told me about the Temptations mini series on TV. He recently got hooked on Sam Cooke. I sent him the newspaper article on his unfortunate demise. He also became aware and enamored with Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, and the Chicago blues musicians. When he visited last week I gave him some songs of Muddy Waters. Just to give a side view, we are both Caucasian. Also growing up, my next door neighbour, a trumpet player, played on some tours with Elvis Presley.

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 06-05-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    I believe that one has to inspire in our youngsters the curiosity for good music. I was born in 1942. Recently I have been listening to Fats Waller, a star from the 20's 30's 40's. I ran a band called Big Band Revival in the Boston area from 1965 to 1979. My son was born in 1979. As he grew up he had the same interest in good music from the past that I did. He was the one who told me about the Temptations mini series on TV. He recently got hooked on Sam Cooke. I sent him the newspaper article on his unfortunate demise. He also became aware and enamored with Muddy Waters and the Chicago blues musicians. When he visited last week I gave him some songs of Muddy Waters. Just to give a side view, we are both Caucasian. Also growing up, my next door neighbour, a trumpet player, played on some tours with Elvis Presley.

edafan
    This is why streaming music services have a place in today's music scene. It allows young people a "no regrets" approach to music meaning they don't have to buy individual cds or LPs to experiment and discover "old" music.

This is why streaming music services have a place in today's music scene. It allows young people a "no regrets" approach to music meaning they don't have to buy individual cds or LPs to experiment and discover "old" music.
    I have to say, I really don't like streaming. You don't actually own any of the music you listen to, right? I don't think I could do that.

You're right, thanxal, streaming is an easy 'no-strings-attached' way of listening to music. Not great IMO. A lot of old music isn't even available on streaming services as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I have to say, I really don't like streaming. You don't actually own any of the music you listen to, right? I don't think I could do that.

You're right, thanxal, streaming is an easy 'no-strings-attached' way of listening to music. Not great IMO. A lot of old music isn't even available on streaming services as well.
    Agreed, but think of yourself as someone who just wants to see if this "old music" is worth listening to. You don't want to buy CDs or physical media since it costs. You can easily switch to the "Motown Channel" and listen away with no more cost than your monthly subscription. Then , if you like it, you can buy CDs or Digital Music. Think of it as a new type of "teaser". You need a low entry barrier way to get people into music that is no longer played on the air while letting them experiment with what they are hearing at low cost. If they want more, they'll have to buy it, since, as you point out, most of it isn't on the streaming services. In Olden Days this was called "Am Radio" LOL!!!

Agreed, but think of yourself as someone who just wants to see if this "old music" is worth listening to. You don't want to buy CDs or physical media since it costs. You can easily switch to the "Motown Channel" and listen away with no more cost than your monthly subscription. Then , if you like it, you can buy CDs or Digital Music. Think of it as a new type of "teaser". You need a low entry barrier way to get people into music that is no longer played on the air while letting them experiment with what they are hearing at low cost. If they want more, they'll have to buy it, since, as you point out, most of it isn't on the streaming services. In Olden Days this was called "Am Radio" LOL!!!
    Indeed thanxal! I get that. In fact, before my Motown obsession began I wasn't willing to buy CDs or whole albums. I just did iTunes previews and individual song downloads.

So yea, I guess streaming is good to introduce people to [[a wide range of) music and then you can invest in the stuff you like. I sorta get that. I think I just don't like the thought of not owning my own music... it would freak me out that it could be taken away at any moment, and that I would subsequently implode without it... LOL

Indeed thanxal! I get that. In fact, before my Motown obsession began I wasn't willing to buy CDs or whole albums. I just did iTunes previews and individual song downloads.

So yea, I guess streaming is good to introduce people to [[a wide range of) music and then you can invest in the stuff you like. I sorta get that. I think I just don't like the thought of not owning my own music... it would freak me out that it could be taken away at any moment, and that I would subsequently implode without it... LOL
    Yes, I completely agree with you [[about now owning my own music). But there is an entire generation that have no such compulsions. If we are to bring Motown to the "kids today" we have to meet them on their own ground. Its that or we die off.

Yes, I completely agree with you [[about now owning my own music). But there is an entire generation that have no such compulsions. If we are to bring Motown to the "kids today" we have to meet them on their own ground. Its that or we die off.
    Yea... I guess so!

I saw on Apple's streaming service 'Apple Music' a whole 'Motown' section with playlists and artist spotlights. They even had a 'rare Motown' bit. It was pretty good.

Youtube is also a perfect place for younger people to discover music from the past. I myself have discovered TONS of music I never would have known about had it not been for people uploading their collections to Youtube. I see some of the comments on videos from younger people who have found something "new". Sometimes they seek out the original of a sample from a hiphop song [[I've also done this) and get turned on to a new thing.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    I believe that one has to inspire in our youngsters the curiosity for good music. I was born in 1942. Recently I have been listening to Fats Waller, a star from the 20's 30's 40's. I ran a band called Big Band Revival in the Boston area from 1965 to 1979. My son was born in 1979. As he grew up he had the same interest in good music from the past that I did. He was the one who told me about the Temptations mini series on TV. He recently got hooked on Sam Cooke. I sent him the newspaper article on his unfortunate demise. He also became aware and enamored with Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, and the Chicago blues musicians. When he visited last week I gave him some songs of Muddy Waters. Just to give a side view, we are both Caucasian. Also growing up, my next door neighbour, a trumpet player, played on some tours with Elvis Presley.

edafan
    I told my son about this post here. He is 38 years old. Once he and his friends went to a concert for a Greatful Dead cover band. They started to play a song: He said," That's a Howling Wolf Song." They all said,"How do you know that" He said to me today, "I guess you brought me up right."

edafan

Edafan,i think it's beautiful the way your son loves the classic sounds,most young folks today[including mine]don't pay much attention to the music that we love and it's cool but every now and then one of mine will tap or snap a finger to the beats.

Edafan,i think it's beautiful the way your son loves the classic sounds,most young folks today[including mine]don't pay much attention to the music that we love and it's cool but every now and then one of mine will tap or snap a finger to the beats.
    JAI there was a group of high school age young men that performed at Ralph's book signing at Hitsville that would have given the young Primes a run for their money! They really knew the music as well as the style.

Marv,that's fantastic...sounds like the young men have a love and respect for the music.

Marv,that's fantastic...sounds like the young men have a love and respect for the music.
    They do and they were respectful overall. I congratulated them when I was leaving and encouraged them to continue singing. They thank me...."thank you sir". I felt old, but I also felt that they appreciated it.

You know you need to try to get this idea to Mr. Gordy.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    you know you need to try to get this idea to mr. Gordy.
    haaaaaaaaaaa...yeah and i'm gonna unseat trump too while i'm at it..maybe someone like our pal[stubass]might know mr.gordy,but me?? Heck i have to make an appointment to see[greasy grady]!!!

haaaaaaaaaaa...yeah and i'm gonna unseat trump too while i'm at it..maybe someone like our pal[stubass]might know mr.gordy,but me?? Heck i have to make an appointment to see[greasy grady]!!!
    I'm serious. He should at least have the opportunity to hear your idea.

Thanks marv,and i'd love to present it too,but i don't have to connections-the time..if ralph is reading this and thinks that it's worth anything i know he knows mr.gordy,so ralph what do ya think?

Hey maybe we could all sign a letter or something saying how much we want it to happen, and present that to Berry Gordy! I'd certainly sign it

Like a snowball rolling down the side of a snow covered hill!!...well ralph what do ya think?

Like a snowball rolling down the side of a snow covered hill!!...well ralph what do ya think?
    Haa... you've got me listening to "It's Growing" now arr&bee... I couldn't resist...

Quote Originally Posted by tomatotom123 View Post
    haa... You've got me listening to "it's growing" now arr&bee... I couldn't resist...
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

I've been meaning to give you a hearty "right on" for this post, TomatoTom. Streaming is no match for owning and controlling your own files.

You're damn right sansradio!!! With your own files you can create albums, make playlists, add lyrics, trim songs, and more! I loves it.

I have to admit... I did try out Apple's streaming service for its three-month free trial, and while it worked perfectly fine, it almost seemed like I was listening to someone else's music, never mine. In fact you could say I was listening to everybody else's music...

It just never quite felt... right.

I didn't renew by the way, LOL
    Good for you! Here's to not falling for the okeydoke!