[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Originally from the Cooley High soundtrack "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday" by G.C. Cameron had a #38 R&B hit with this song in 1975 but Boyz II Men took it to #1 R&B and #2 Pop and became a classic for kids of that time:

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Dolly Parton wrote and had a hit with "I Will Always Love You" twice on her own but Whitney Houston took it to a whole another place and never gave it back:

How did we over look this one? One of the most successful recordings in history!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Etta had the definitive version in my opinion.
    I agree with you Marv - I second that opinion. LOL

The Four Tops version of "MacArthur Park" will always be tops with me:

How did we over look this one? One of the most successful recordings in history!
    Right Marv. It was a monster hit!!! I heard it so much during that time it took me a while before I could hear it again.

I agree with you Marv - I second that opinion. LOL
    I remember she threaten to whip Beyonce's ass for singing for Obama's Inauguration Ball. LOL! God Bless her.

I remember she threaten to whip Beyonce's ass for singing for Obama's Inauguration Ball. LOL! God Bless her.
    Yes she did!!! LOL I think it was more of her saying "I'm still here, you could have asked me to sing it since it's my song".

The Four Tops version of "MacArthur Park" will always be tops with me:

Yes Levi kills it!

For my tastes, you could add up all the versions of this song and you wouldn't have one good one. It is just a terrible song. Right up there with Hey Jude and American Pie. No song needs to be eight minutes long!

How about Deniece Williams beautiful version of "it's gonna take a miracle"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    How about Deniece Williams beautiful version of "it's gonna take a miracle"?
    Yes I agree with you Bluebrock. Great choice. I believe Niecy owns it.

I love the Smokey version of "Who's Loving You?" but I'd be willing to bet many more people heard it sung by the Jackson 5 and prefer that version.

And I think that Troop's version of the Jackson 5's "All I Do Is Think Of You" is a better production, even if the lead doesn't compare with Michael Jackson's performance.

bite your tongue! That's sacrilegious! Lol!!!
    have you heard bobby's version?

Here we go, my favorite remakes that I prefer to the original versions-
    Isaac Hayes-"By The Time I Get To Phoenix"
    Al Green-"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"
    Otis Redding-"You Don't Miss Your Water"
    Isaac Hayes-"Your Love Is So Doggone Good"
    Diana Ross & the Supremes & the Temptations-"I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"
    Stevie Wonder-"For Once In My Life"
    Stevie Wonder-"Blowing In The Wind"
    Al Green-"For The Good Times"
    Al Green-"Funny How Time Slips Away"
    Ike & Tina Turner-"Proud Mary"

I love Patti's take on this...she gives it a boogie-down-at-the-cookout feel:

Right Marv. It was a monster hit!!! I heard it so much during that time it took me a while before I could hear it again.
    I was breaking up with my girlfriend at the time this was at the top of the charts.

I can't remember who made it first, the Doobie Brothers or Carly Simon, but Carly gets my vote everytime!

Seals and Croft had the hit with "Summer Breeze" in 1972 but I have read many comments that the Isley's 1974 version is the definitive:

Talk about stealing. Motown took Philly International's Harold Melvin and the Bluesnotes song and gave Thelma Houston her biggest hit with "Don't Leave Me This Way":

I know we have been talking about Chuck Jackson a bit lately and one of his finest moments is when he took William Bells song "Any Other Way":

How many know that Etta James "Tell Mama" originally was titled "Tell Daddy" by Clarence Cater. Miss Peaches owns that song. [[Although from her bio she said she didn't care for it...you would never know by her awesome vocals):

Before singing about a big mama jama, Carl Carlton was singing about "Everlasting Love" which was originally done by Robert Knight. This became a wedding staple.

This song was originally was done by Rod Stewart for the movie Night Shift. I not a 100% sure but I believed the song writers Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager didn't care for his version. Dionne, Stevie, Gladys and Elton made this anthem for friends and AIDS research. Don't think anyone will ever be able to touch this version,

[QUOTE=marv2;389800]I can't remember who made it first, the Doobie Brothers or Carly Simon, but Carly gets my vote everytime!

Awesome pick Marv. I believe Carly did it first. You want to talk about a cover version I enjoy of this song:

Here's a few more of my favorite songs that [[IMHO) out-stripped the original versions-
    1. "Twist And Shout"-The Isley Bros.
    2. "Good Loving"-The Young Rascals
    3. "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby"-Marvin Gaye
    4. "That's The Way Love Is"-Marvin Gaye
    5. "Devil With The Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly"-Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels

I can't remember who made it first, the Doobie Brothers or Carly Simon, but Carly gets my vote everytime!

It was The Doobie Bros. who did 'You Belong To Me' first [[on the 1977 LP Living On The Fault Line). And although group member Michael McDonald wrote the song, I agree with you that Carly Simon's version is the definitive one.

Before singing about a big mama jama, Carl Carlton was singing about "Everlasting Love" which was originally done by Robert Knight. This became a wedding staple.

Good example. They both were from Detroit. Carl still lives near Detroit in Romulus, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    It was The Doobie Bros. who did 'You Belong To Me' first [[on the 1977 LP Living On The Fault Line). And although group member Michael McDonald wrote the song, I agree with you that Carly Simon's version is the definitive one.
    Thank you Motown Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    have you heard bobby's version?
    Oh yes I have and I love Bobby Bland, but as a Detroit, I will always go with Little Wiilie John's. Peggy Lee did a good one too.

Loved Roy Hamilton's original but these two versions are equally as good....

Patti LaBelle does a great version of "Don't Let Go" also.

Isaac version is great! Where Patti's​ version?

"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett was a cover of the song first done by Sir Mack Rice. The rhythm was smoothed down and the production was better [[in my opinion) on the latter version but it is very much the same song. But Pickett's voice puts it over the top for me.

Isaac version is great! Where Patti's​ version?
    I just posted it. Check again

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    "Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett was a cover of the song first done by Sir Mack Rice. The rhythm was smoothed down and the production was better [[in my opinion) on the latter version but it is very much the same song. But Pickett's voice puts it over the top for me.
    I never knew that. Thanks Jerry

I love the Smokey version of "Who's Loving You?" but I'd be willing to bet many more people heard it sung by the Jackson 5 and prefer that version.

And I think that Troop's version of the Jackson 5's "All I Do Is Think Of You" is a better production, even if the lead doesn't compare with Michael Jackson's performance.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  21.1 KB
    And neither of those compare to Tammi Terrell's.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Here's a few more of my favorite songs that [[IMHO) out-stripped the original versions-
    1. "Twist And Shout"-The Isley Bros.
    2. "Good Loving"-The Young Rascals
    3. "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby"-Marvin Gaye
    4. "That's The Way Love Is"-Marvin Gaye
    5. "Devil With The Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly"-Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Good Lovin' ", which was an R&B hit by The Olympics, and redone by The Young Rascals, was sung originally by Lemme B. Good. All 3 versions are good, but I like Lemme's best, and The Olympics' just below it.

Originally from the Cooley High soundtrack "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday" by G.C. Cameron had a #38 R&B hit with this song in 1975 but Boyz II Men took it to #1 R&B and #2 Pop and became a classic for kids of that time:

Luciano, this became a classic for us kids in 1975 as well. The film had a huge impact on teenagers in urban areas of America.

"All I Do Is Think Of You" was originally done by Stevie Wonder.

"All I Do Is Think Of You" was originally done by Stevie Wonder.
    I'm going to listen to his version right now. Thanks for the head's up.

Edit: So far, I'm not finding a Stevie version of the other song anywhere on line. Are you thinking about "All I Do" from "Hotter Than July"? That's a different song [[and one of my favorites from one of my favorite albums).
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 06-02-2017 at 04:45 PM.

I'm going to listen to his version right now. Thanks for the head's up.

Edit: So far, I'm not finding a Stevie version of the other song anywhere on line. Are you thinking about "All I Do" from "Hotter Than July"? That's a different song [[and one of my favorites from one of my favorite albums).

He wrote the song "All I Do" back in the sixties. Motown had Tammi Terrell record it back then without releasing it until many years later. It is the same song on Hotter than July. Hold up.

Ok here is Tammi and Stevie's versions on the same video. He wrote it with Clarence Paul back in 1966:

Marv, they're referring to this song:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Marv, they're referring to this song:

Oh yeah, ok. I have to now remember who did it originally. It was a group that was pretty popular. Let me think....

Ok it was Troop. I didn't see that posted above until now.
    Last edited by marv2; 06-02-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    For my tastes, you could add up all the versions of this song and you wouldn't have one good one. It is just a terrible song. Right up there with Hey Jude and American Pie. No song needs to be eight minutes long!
    David, I hear you. I use to go crazy at how long "American Pie" was. We use to sing it at camp in grade school. LOL

The Supremes, Four Tops - River Deep Mountain High

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    The Supremes, Four Tops - River Deep Mountain High
    Yep! Totally agree that they took that song. Took it to new heights!

Tavares taking Hall & Oates song "She Gone" straight to #1 R&B:

Maybe not superior than Tavares but equal. I do like how Tower of Power slowed "Heaven Must Be Missing Be Missing An Angel" down a bit but still groovy.

I'm sure Prince never imagined his song "I Feel For You" turning into "Chaka Khan..Chaka Khan...Let me rock you Chaka Khan". Chaka must be tired of people singing it to her but for me it never gets old plus Chaka glorious vocals...

Last edited by Luciano; 06-10-2017 at 05:09 PM.