[REMOVE ADS]

Beach Music From The Carolinas

Sirius / XM has a special channel debuting tomorrow called 'Carolina Shag' featuring beach r&b from the 60's & 50's - should be fun!

That sounds interesting. Is it beach and r&b music or r&b beach sounding music?

I have never had a clear understanding of what constitutes Beach Music, but I like most of what I hear. One of my local radio stations has a weekly Beach Music hour. I don't have Sirius, but may have to alert some friends who do.

Essentially, beach or shag music is any '60s mid-tempo R&B or R&B-inspired music with a shuffling beat. Think The Chairmen of the Board's "Give Me Just a Little More Time." I'm originally from the "Lowcountry" region of Georgia near South Carolina; it was a huge phenom among folks there of a certain age in the 1980s when I was coming up.

The Beach Music scene is just about as close as you Yanks get to the UK's Northern Soul scene ...
    big on both scenes ... the cuts made by Sonny Turner [[as Platter's lead singer) ....

Thanks to everybody for explaining. Greatly appreciate it.

I believe it's r&b that was popular during a timeframe in the Carolinas area; the promo features the Tams 'Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfaR6IuO-4

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I believe it's r&b that was popular during a timeframe in the Carolinas area; the promo features the Tams 'Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy'

Thanks PeaceNHarmony! I will have to see if there are any compilations.

Jay and Techniques very beachy right? How bout a definition of northern soul?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I have never had a clear understanding of what constitutes Beach Music, but I like most of what I hear. One of my local radio stations has a weekly Beach Music hour. I don't have Sirius, but may have to alert some friends who do.

It's just R&B Oldies just like what they call "Northern Soul" in England. It's the same music we listened to on the radio back in day regardless of where you lived in the country.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-24-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post

Sorry, but no that is not it. This so called "Beach Music" was popular R&B from around the country. Jay & the Techniques were from Allentown, PA. The Chairmen of the Board were from Detroit and Canada. The music has nothing to do with the Carolinas. Some one just got cute and made that "brand " name up....."Beach Music" you can listen to it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Sorry, but no that is not it. This so called "Beach Music" was popular R&B from around the country. Jay & the Techniques were from Allentown, PA. The Chairmen of the Board were from Detroit and Canada. The music has nothing to do with the Carolinas. Some one just got cute and made that "brand " name up....."Beach Music" you can listen to it anywhere.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  21.1 KB
    Wasn't General Johnson the lead singer of The Showmen [[who were from Norfolk, Virginia)?
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-24-2017 at 04:56 PM.

Attachment 12966
    Beach music and Northern Soul now overlap some, but maybe only about one-third of the songs of each are in both genres. Northern Soul started being played in clubs in northern England in the late 1960s, first coming out of the playing of hit Motown songs, and after moving to rare Motown records. After the known rare Motown was too well known, club DJs started importing non-Motown, Motownlike US unknown Soul cuts. They were all "Stompers", - songs that had the classic, fast Motown driving beat. Those songs were played from the beginning of the 1970s, through the 1980s. As time went onward, acetates of previously unreleased Motown and non-Motown fast Soul were added, as well as bootlegs and new issues of previously unreleased cuts from master tapes gotten from contacting the owners of former labels. In the late 1990s, or beginning of the 2000s, when other sources of new fast Soul were drying up almost completely, the Northern Soul DJs finally "discovered" mid-tempo Soul, and added some mid-tempo '50s R&B [[that also has a very danceable beat). Those 2 categories used to make NS fans hold their noses before then. Those 2 genres, having now been added to Northern Soul, are where the overlap with Beach Music comes in. None of the traditional Motown fast beat "mechanical sound" [[from 1965-1970) does NOT have the Shag beat, and is not Beach. Mary Wells' Smokey Robinson mid-tempo tunes are. Barbara Lewis' "Hello Stranger" is a prime example of a Shag beat. Lots of Curtis Mayfield/Major Lance mid-tempo songs are, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 932
    Wasn't General Johnson the lead singer of The Showmen [[who were from Norfolk, Virginia)?
    I believe you are right Robb. I think he relocated to South Carolina before he passed.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 12966
    Beach music and Northern Soul now overlap some, but maybe only about one-third of the songs of each are in both genres. Northern Soul started being played in clubs in northern England in the late 1960s, first coming out of the playing of hit Motown songs, and after moving to rare Motown records. After the known rare Motown was too well known, club DJs started importing non-Motown, Motownlike US unknown Soul cuts. They were all "Stompers", - songs that had the classic, fast Motown driving beat. Those songs were played from the beginning of the 1970s, through the 1980s. As time went onward, acetates of previously unreleased Motown and non-Motown fast Soul were added, as well as bootlegs and new issues of previously unreleased cuts from master tapes gotten from contacting the owners of former labels. In the late 1990s, or beginning of the 2000s, when other sources of new fast Soul were drying up almost completely, the Northern Soul DJs finally "discovered" mid-tempo Soul, and added some mid-tempo '50s R&B [[that also has a very danceable beat). Those 2 categories used to make NS fans hold their noses before then. Those 2 genres, having now been added to Northern Soul, are where the overlap with Beach Music comes in. None of the traditional Motown fast beat "mechanical sound" [[from 1965-1970) does NOT have the Shag beat, and is not Beach. Mary Wells' Smokey Robinson mid-tempo tunes are. Barbara Lewis' "Hello Stranger" is a prime example of a Shag beat. Lots of Curtis Mayfield/Major Lance mid-tempo songs are, as well.
    Did you know that Mary Well's music is extremely popular in East LA in the Chicano community and especially with low riders.

Did you know that Mary Well's music is extremely popular in East LA in the Chicano community and especially with low riders.
    Yes, indeed. She's a queen in their community, probably as a result of the Latin-flavored tunes Smokey produced on her. As Benjaminson put it in his biography of her, there are lot of "Mary Wells Garcias" out there as a result. 😆

As I said earlier, I am not too knowledgeable on this genre, but I can give these examples:

1) Just about anything by Bill Deal and the Rhondells

2) Ruby Andrews in her post-Casanova days, mainly on the Ripete label. Songs like "Bark, Battle and Ball" and "You'se a Hard Dog to Keep Under the Porch."

3) A little known but neat southern soul gal named Sweet Miss Coffy, with songs like "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water."

4) And believe it or not, at least one Dionne Warwick song qualifies. I have a beach music collection that contains her criminally-underrated song "Do You Believe in Love at First Sight."

Are these good examples?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    As I said earlier, I am not too knowledgeable on this genre, but I can give these examples:

1) Just about anything by Bill Deal and the Rhondells

2) Ruby Andrews in her post-Casanova days, mainly on the Ripete label. Songs like "Bark, Battle and Ball" and "You'se a Hard Dog to Keep Under the Porch."

3) A little known but neat southern soul gal named Sweet Miss Coffy, with songs like "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water."

4) And believe it or not, at least one Dionne Warwick song qualifies. I have a beach music collection that contains her criminally-underrated song "Do You Believe in Love at First Sight."

Are these good examples?
    The only one I'm familiar with is Dionne's "...First Sight"; it's a perfect example.

honest man Guest
    Yes love this music Beach-Northern also POPCORN Music is included within this genre lovely early RB -Big Beat ballads etc you should give it a try SOME EXCELLENT CDS ISSUED ON Marginal- Toto years back also YT type in Belguim popcorn ,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yes, indeed. She's a queen in their community, probably as a result of the Latin-flavored tunes Smokey produced on her. As Benjaminson put it in his biography of her, there are lot of "Mary Wells Garcias" out there as a result. ��
    Maria Wells Garcias

The first time I heard about beach music was a long time ago when it was mentioned that Archie Bell & The Drells were popular with that crowd.
    Last edited by mr_june; 05-25-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Yes love this music Beach-Northern also POPCORN Music is included within this genre lovely early RB -Big Beat ballads etc you should give it a try SOME EXCELLENT CDS ISSUED ON Marginal- Toto years back also YT type in Belguim popcorn ,cheers.
    Thanks - YT also has some nice playlists under 'Carolina Beach Music'

Ceasar can tell us a lot about Carolina Beach Music...His group...The Tymes had a huge hit there at the top of the chart...Miss Grace...Basically...a lot of Southeastern college kids starting around Myrtle Beach going all the way back to the 40's actually...Darius Rucker of Hootie & The Blowfish claims roots in that music, and Motown style R&B in general...

Thanks robb. So are the same records always played? Are there ever "new"ones?

Hi!

O.C. Smith was a popular artist over there, with some of his new recordings at that time
    http://www.soulexpress.net/ocsmith_story.htm
    [[at the end of the story).

Best regards
    Heikki

I'm loving every minute of this special engagement channel on Sirius XM - lesser-played songs by artists we love and lots of material I have never heard - local to the Carolinas scene, I assume. Highly recommended. Loved the blue-eyed soul cover of 'In My Lonely Room' as a change from the superb Martha Reeves & the Vandellas definitive version, and Little Sylvia's 'Drive Daddy Drive' is a double-entendre killer!

Hi All, I was wondering around the internet when I stumbled on this discussion. I think I can offer a little better insight into just what constitutes "Beach Music". I've lived all my life in Eastern North Carolina. Beach Music is both a particular style of music and a sub-culture in [[primarily) North and South Carolina. To say that it has nothing to do with the Carolinas, and that it was popular R&B from around the country isn't correct. The music as some have noted revolves around a dance, "the Shag" that requires a certain tempo. Because of this many R&B and soul songs that were minor hits or no hits at all nationally were regional hits here and became standards. Small record labels released records regularly and these 45s, albums and now CDs are rarely heard beyond the region. Groups and singers over the last 60-70 years have extended their careers, established their careers, survived dry spells by playing the Beach Music circuit of clubs, festivals, concerts from Virginia to Georgia. Gen. Johnson & Chairman of the Board and the Tams would be good examples. Delbert McClinton, during a point in the middle of his career when he wasn't getting any love concentrated on the circuit to keep food on the table until he would see another upturn. There are a substantial number of regional bands that probably make more money playing the Beach circuit than non-beach bands make outside that circuit. These would include The Embers and Band of Oz. More often than not if a town, or city is having a street fair, arts festival or similar event they book one or more of the Beach Bands. There will always be Shag dancers all around and they might run from teens to senior citizens. There are nightclubs dedicated exclusively to the music and there is a society [[SOS) with chapters in many towns that meet regularly to socialize and dance. There is even a Beach Music Awards and Hall of Fame. There are a huge number of DJs out there that play parties and host radio programs on the little AM and even FM stations all over the area.

This all started back in the mid 1900s when teens would go to the coast and hang out. The jukeboxes where they were going had R & B 45s of music that they couldn't hear back home and of course there was a fair amount of drinking, dancing and skirt chasing going on. By the early 1960s in was more or less defined. There was a club [[Williams Lake) in the middle of no where, I mean the sticks, near where I live that for a run of about a decade had the top names in soul and R & B playing there regularly. Local bands formed as well, to play on the nights the national acts weren't here, open for, and sometimes back these artists. All this was when I was a little kid so I just know the stories about it, never had the opportunity to attend. By the time I was of age I had little interest in "Beach Music". My crowd didn't dance much and we viewed the crowd as the "country club" bunch that we were far removed from.

The thing about Beach Music is that it truly is a sub-culture here. Parents teach their kids the Shag and they in turn teach their children so it lives on.

Beach Music, Northern Soul... what's Popcorn?

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Beach Music, Northern Soul... what's Popcorn?
Views: 564
    Popcorn is mid-tempo dance music of Belgian preference, that is somewhat similar to the Shag beat. There is a LOT of crossover between Beach and Popcorn, but each genre has a certain part of the total spectrum that the other doesn't share. But they are much more alike than either is to Northern Soul, as much of Northern Soul is fast "stompers", none of which are part of Popcorn or Beach Music.

Although I cannot say I was an overwhelming fan of beach music, my memory of beach music came about as a result of the Wax Museum in Charlotte, NC. They really promoted this kind of music. I just googled it to see what I could learn. I learned a lot --- the place closed last December. This shop was famous for promoting beach music. I recall General Johnson and Chairman of the Board as being part of this brand of music. Does anyone else recall the Wax Museum in Charlotte? I used to buy records from them during their heyday.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...187457223.html
    Last edited by woodward; 08-26-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Add link

Sirius XM has resurrected their Beach channel for a few remaining weeks of summer. Wonderful music. A refreshing change of pace.

If you like Beach Music, records on the "Surfside" label are well worth investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks Robb. So are the same records always played? Are there ever "new"ones?
Views: 514
    Of course, there are newly discovered records and unreleased tapes of 1960s, '70s, and '80s recordings that pop up every year, that get played on all 3 scenes [[Northern Soul, Popcorn, and Beach.

I like me some Beach music, it's almost always upbeat and enjoyable. General Johnson & Chairmen Of The Board have made some wonderful beach music. O.C. Smith too.

However, sometimes I find it difficult to get into a song about beach music culture when I'm not part of it.

Now I've contradicted myself with this awesome lil beach jam
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-31-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Lamont even had a beach music hit

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Lamont even had a beach music hit

Nice one, Tom! Sirius XM has resurrected the station for the last weeks of summer here in the US - great and somewhat underheard music. Hope you are liking it!