[REMOVE ADS]

huntergettingcaptured Guest

Flo Ballard & The Supremes- Buttered Popcord gets a play on PBS

I was washing dishes tonight and the tv was just on for background noise. It was on the PBS show, "Call The Midwife" and I just about dropped a glass [[and snapped my neck around better than any owl) when I heard the unmistakable sound of Florence Ballard and the Supremes belting out "Buttered Popcorn." And it blasted loud and clear-louder than the rest of the program! Granted, they didn't play the entire song, but they played a pretty good amount of it! Somebody on that show has great taste, and they've just won a new viewer if only because they played a Supremes song with Florence on lead!
    Last edited by huntergettingcaptured; 05-22-2017 at 12:35 AM.

I saw that too, and was just as surprised! Honestly, I didn't get the connection between the music and the montage they were showing, but it was fun to hear!

I also was surprised to hear 'Buttered Popcorn'. It really threw me for a moment. That was the season final and they won't be back until next spring....oh well. I've been a fan since the first episode. Wonderful series.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I also was surprised to hear 'Buttered Popcorn'. It really threw me for a moment. That was the season final and they won't be back until next spring....oh well. I've been a fan since the first episode. Wonderful series.
    It really is. I missed the earlier seasons so am planning to catch up. It's cast so well and the acting is phenomenal. Of course, Jenny Agutter is a long time Shakespearean actress, who also made some films in Hollywood, I believe. I'm not familiar with anyone else in the cast.

The second last episode about the Thalidomide crisis was heartbreaking, but handled so well.

We don't seem to be able to do these powerful dramatic series in the US unless it's related to crime, thrillers or action/adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It really is. I missed the earlier seasons so am planning to catch up. It's cast so well and the acting is phenomenal. Of course, Jenny Agutter is a long time Shakespearean actress, who also made some films in Hollywood, I believe. I'm not familiar with anyone else in the cast.

The second last episode about the Thalidomide crisis was heartbreaking, but handled so well.

We don't seem to be able to do these powerful dramatic series in the US unless it's related to crime, thrillers or action/adventure.
    If you can get the entire series at you local library and start from the beginning, you're in for an emotional roller coaster of a ride. SisterJoan Marie [[Judy Parfit) is a great British actress. I've also
    read the book it's based on.

Sorry, Judy Parfitt plays Sister Monica Joan. Check out her movies.
    Such a great actress.

This was a big surprise. Not being nitpicky, but was this single released in England? Just wondering if they would have really heard this on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by superlou View Post
    This was a big surprise. Not being nitpicky, but was this single released in England? Just wondering if they would have really heard this on the radio.
    Interesting point. But, us Motown/Supremes fans were overjoyed
    to hear it. It did represent the era. Maybe some of our UK friends
    might have that answer.

Ive always loved the song....I think its one of their best from the early years.

Quote Originally Posted by superlou View Post
    No it wasn't. The first Supremes single released in the UK was WHEN THE LOVELIGHT STARTS SHINING THROUGH HIS EYES, on the Stateside label.